Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

The Caspain Border trailer will not be like that on Consoles

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By squirrelnacho

They've only been showing console footage of Co-op mode.  They have not shown Conquest footage (like the Caspain PC trailer) from the console.  

Do you think it would be better if they included fewer vehicles on console maps?  I will be getting it on PC but I never played Bad Company on consoles so I don't know what it was like.   

Notice how there are dozens of infantry running around the map (in the 64 player pc trailer) with a nice mix of vehicles from the trailer.  On the console version there are only 12 people per team.  This means on a map like Caspain each team will have 1 or 2 people in jets, 1 or 2 in helicopters, and probably 4 or 5 in tanks and APCs and light vehicles.  Not to mention there will always people some infantry camping back at base waiting for vehicles to spawn.  That leaves maybe as few as 2 infantry per team, 4 on the entire server, running around battling.  The Conquest battles will feel a lot different on consoles, perhaps empty unless they really reduce the number of vehicles on console.  This is regardless of how small the developers make the maps for console. 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By KarlPilkington

Okay.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By squirrelnacho
    @Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

Should they reduce the vehicle numbers on the console version?
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mikemcn

@squirrelnacho said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

They have to, unless you want everyone to have their own tanks.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KarlPilkington

@squirrelnacho said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

Yeah, probably. You make a good point that everyone will be using vehicles when they get the chance, leaving little amounts of people to fight.

Aren't they making the maps smaller though?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Haha, you're right, it's gonna be such a sad sight!  cars, jeeps, APCs, boats, jets, helicopters and tanks, and only 12 people a team to occupy them while still having people run on foot or snipe.. Damn that sounds eerie and boring. 

If it's any consolation, that map wasn't created on the PC first. It was created as a 24-player conquest map, with only 5 flags, all located in the center, and then some dead space was added around them to make the map able to absorb 40 more people for the PC..  The flashy graphics and fast action of the latest trailer was enough to rock people's socks off and dupe them.
    So hey, we get the big numbers, but you get the lead map design. I'd swap with you if I could! 

Probably going to be the same for the rest of the maps (developed for consoles, with extra empty space for the 64 players on PC), so you're kinda winning here.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By squirrelnacho
    @Ahmad_Metallic

Who?  I am getting the PC version.   

I read the only the Conquest mode has 64 players, the rest will have fewer on the PC.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't be like that on PC either ... people don't play like that.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By withateethuh
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Haha, you're right, it's gonna be such a sad sight!  cars, jeeps, APCs, boats, jets, helicopters and tanks, and only 12 people a team to occupy them while still having people run on foot or snipe.. Damn that sounds eerie and boring. 

If it's any consolation, that map wasn't created on the PC first. It was created as a 24-player conquest map, with only 5 flags, all located in the center, and then some dead space was added around them to make the map able to absorb 40 more people for the PC..  The flashy graphics and fast action of the latest trailer was enough to rock people's socks off and dupe them.So hey, we get the big numbers, but you get the lead map design. I'd swap with you if I could!  Probably going to be the same for the rest of the maps (developed for consoles, with extra empty space for the 64 players on PC), so you're kinda winning here.
    Source?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @squirrelnacho said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Who?  I am getting the PC version.   I read the only the Conquest mode has 64 players, the rest will have fewer on the PC.
    Oh, gotcha, thought you were the other guy with the hamburger avatar, the xbox guy. 
    Yes, only Conquest 64 on the PC will have 64 players. your point? we're discussing conquest here right? 

@withateethuh said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

If it's any consolation, that map wasn't created on the PC first. It was created as a 24-player conquest map, with only 5 flags, all located in the center, and then some dead space was added around them to make the map able to absorb 40 more people for the PC..  The flashy graphics and fast action of the latest trailer was enough to rock people's socks off and dupe them.So hey, we get the big numbers, but you get the lead map design. I'd swap with you if I could!  Probably going to be the same for the rest of the maps (developed for consoles, with extra empty space for the 64 players on PC), so you're kinda winning here.
    Source?
    I have a perfectly good explanation based on days of conversing and analyzing, are you interested or do you only take sources?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli
    @drag said:
    I do. I'm people. Though I wish I weren't. People suck.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It's a shame that EA shows almost nothing but PC footage--so they make their game look as amazing as possible--while Bethesda shows nothing but console footage of Skyrim, so we can't possibly tell how amazing the PC version will look. 

Release footage of BOTH dammit!  It's a slap in the face to ask PC and console gamers to get excited over a product that is either going to look significantly better or significantly worse than all of the preview video that they're showing.  We want to know what OUR version will look like, no matter what that "our" may be. 

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By withateethuh
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @squirrelnacho said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  Who?  I am getting the PC version.   I read the only the Conquest mode has 64 players, the rest will have fewer on the PC.
    Oh, gotcha, thought you were the other guy with the hamburger avatar, the xbox guy. 
    Yes, only Conquest 64 on the PC will have 64 players. your point? we're discussing conquest here right? 

@withateethuh said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

Source?
    I have a perfectly good explanation based on days of conversing and analyzing, are you interested or do you only take sources?
    I'm a humble man, I take what I can get.
    FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FajitaBoss
    @SpaceInsomniac:  deceiving advertising is deceiving 
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@squirrelnacho said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

They don't have a choice, Battlefield 3 is built for modern PC's the consoles use technology from 6 years ago.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FajitaBoss
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

They don't have a choice, Battlefield 3 is built for modern PC's the consoles use technology from 6 years ago.

Then they should stop putting Pc Gameplay videos in XboxLive and PsN... It's a lame trick to fool costumers like that. 
    Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17  Edited By Ping5000
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    @squirrelnacho said:

@withateethuh said:
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

Source?
    You've read Demize's tweet on the reasoning behind the design of that map, so just give them the benefit of the doubt. They've refined spotting and threw in the commorose; have a little faith, especially when a lot of people who have played the map have stated that the flag placement felt fine.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @FajitaBoss said:
    @Mr_Skeleton said:

@squirrelnacho said:

@Chabbs0 said:

Okay.

Then they should stop putting Pc Gameplay videos in XboxLive and PsN... It's a lame trick to fool costumers like that. 
    Yeah, that's all sorts of wrong.  It'll be especially telling if EA never releases any official trailers that feature gameplay from the console versions.  Then again, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Sooperspy

Ever played Bad Company 1 and 2. Yeah, Those are 24 players and fucking great games. Sure, the PC version of BF3 will be better, but the console version should still be great.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard
    @Seppli said:
    @drag said:
    I do. I'm people. Though I wish I weren't. People suck.
    Brilliant post Seppli haha!
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By infininja

@Tarsier said:

it makes sense that they would start with the console version of the map and then add to it and expand it for the PC later on. it doesnt make sense to do it the opposite way, how would they make the maps smaller? shrink them? lol

I don't understand why "blow them up" is less laughable than "shrink them."

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @withateethuh said:
    I'm a humble man, I take what I can get.
    Cool. Keep in mind that as i discuss this, I am not mad that BF3 is not identical to BF2. Sure, I would pay ridiculous sums of money for a Battlefield 2 remake, but I'm totally ok with BF3 moving on. 

Now then, when the number of players on a map grows, the strategical depth and teamplay element naturally grow with it. Which is why 4v4 or 8v8 TDM is about sneaking around waiting for a kill while keeping your head down, 32 player Rush is about a team pushing forward together and clashing with the enemy as they try to reach the objective and blow it up, and 64 player Conquest has always been about an all out war, with all kinds of vehicles utilized, many flags spread across the map to give a genuine feel of a sandbox, where playing alone renders you helpless, and where not only pushing forward with teammates but rather working with them in strategical methods is the way to go. 

If you look at Battlefield 2, it had three versions of each map - 16 player size (2-3 flags), 32 player size (5-6 flags), 64 player size (8-9 flags). The more the people running on the battlefield, the more control points added to the map and the more space there is between said flags.  
    Enlarging the map by making the playable area bigger, while keeping the flags of the 32-player version, is simply flawed. If there was a 6v6 Conquest map with 2 flags, would it make sense to add infinite dead space around the two flags and put 64 people on it? No! The two flags wouldn't suffice even if the map is the biggest ever created.. You'd need to add more flags, because each flag added, adds a ton to the playability of the map and all kinds of action that can happen. It gives a purpose to the fuckload of people playing, and divides them across the map better, and gives them more options to pursue.

Now, if you look at the Caspian Border map, you will see that it has 5 flags, all located in the center of the map.  
    The first problem with that is the flag number. How does it make sense that Bad Company 2's conquest with 32 players had four flags, and now we have TWICE the number of players, with 1 flag added? 
    Second problem is the flag placement. It's clearer that a shit Hitler mustache on somebody's face that the map was designed for the console, which has 24 players, and then dead useless space was added around which is somehow supposed to absorb the FORTY MORE PLAYERS on PC ..  

According to Alan Kertz, the consoles have the same flag number and placement. Need I say more? 

20 bucks says this is the console version: 

No Caption Provided

Somehow, those 5 flags created to suit a conflict between 24 players, will also be enough for a conflict consisting of 64 players. Somehow, the 40 people added to the equation will not choke the game up by attacking the flags that were meant for 24 people to attack. 
    Somehow, this dead outer space is supposed to absorb the 40 extra players: 

No Caption Provided

@Tarsier said:
    it makes sense that they would start with the console version of the map and then add to it and expand it for the PC later on. it doesnt make sense to do it the opposite way, how would they make the maps smaller? shrink them? lol  the gameplay would be lost in the process  
    Lol indeed, good sir, lol indeed. Read what i typed above, and look at this: 

" how would they make the maps smaller? shrink them? lol" Nope, here's your answer.
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MachoFantastico

DICE have already stated that the PC version is the primary interest for them, which makes for a refreshing change in all respects. Pretty much all footage except for as you stated the co-op as been from the PC version. One thing that as appeared somewhat odd is the fact that they've shown little of the Xbox 360 version.

Can't say I care a great deal, I was always going to get Battlefield 3 on a PC as that's where it belongs. Consoles have enough great shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think people fail to realize that while the game was optimized first for the PC, the main breadwinner will be the console versions. DICE knows they, they know how to optimize, and I'm sure they already made these maps with the console versions in mind.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sputty

@allworkandlowpay said:

I think people fail to realize that while the game was optimized first for the PC, the main breadwinner will be the console versions. DICE knows they, they know how to optimize, and I'm sure they already made these maps with the console versions in mind.

According to an EA report Bad Company 2 sold more on PC than either console, though obviously not combined. That's why EA and DICE have been pushing PC so much for BF3 and it looks like it has a good chance of working out.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amomjc

I think it would be neat to have a "All Tanks" mode or "All Humvee+Gun Mounts Mode" where everyone spawns in a vehicle and that is the way the round is played. This would be a custom game of course, but I still think it would be neat to shake up the types of modes.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Sputty said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

According to an EA report Bad Company 2 sold more on PC than either console, though obviously not combined. That's why EA and DICE have been pushing PC so much for BF3 and it looks like it has a good chance of working out.

That's odd, because the most recent sales report (current as of last week according to VGChartz) I've seen has BC2 locked in around 190,000 copies sold on the PC, versus 1,920,000 on the 360 and 1,130,000 on the PS3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@allworkandlowpay said:

@Sputty said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

That's odd, because the most recent sales report (current as of last week according to VGChartz) I've seen has BC2 locked in around 190,000 copies sold on the PC, versus 1,920,000 on the 360 and 1,130,000 on the PS3.

BC2 sold a little over 8 million copies, so those charts are way off.

Also, 190K for PC? no way man. BC2 sold more on consoles, true, but the PC crowds reached millions as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.