Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Today In Battlefield 3 Screw-Ups: Battlefield 1943 Not Included With PS3 Copies as Promised

Avatar image for deactivated-631423650dc63
    deactivated-631423650dc63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The game is fun but so far its been a total clusterfuck. I kinda feel bad for the PS3 people who keep getting dicked over and over again. I'll be playing mine on a 360 if it can log into the EA servers.

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#152  Edited By Darkstar614

"So, just to recap, instead of a free game that had been previously promised to be included on the disc, PlayStation 3 owners will be granted the first opportunity to buy more Battlefield 3"

awesome

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Vitefish

Up until I read this I had no idea that BF1943 was supposed to be included in the PS3 version... and I bought the PS3 version.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By knetic2341

1943 was great when it came out, but now... I purchased Battlefield 3 for Battlefield 3. It would be alright if it did come with it, but I doubt I would have ever touched it.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#155  Edited By Giantstalker

@xbob42 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@jfk80

Not bothered in the slightest, I'll be too busy playing, y'know, Battlefield 3?

This. People love getting caught up in the petty periphery stuff and prefer to ignore that DICE has created one of the best multiplayer games in years. Typical, but what can you expect from 'faux-pas' hungry media. Obscure the honest to goodness fun with as much sensationalist smoke as possible, right on!

"We got a game we like, so it's okay to keep sticking it up our ass!"

Do us all a favor, next time you have a thought, keep it to yourself.

Do us all a favor, and just stop posting. My comment wasn't particularly nice but you added nothing to the discussion at all by attacking me. This is barely news and you know it, but that didn't stop Alex and everyone like yourself from getting a chance to complain and whine about it. For 95% of people buying BF3, this is a nonfactor.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#156  Edited By Boiglenoight

@Brodehouse said:

Oh Alex. I wonder if you're physically capable of writing a news story without being snarky.

You sound like a douche when you start sentences with "Oh." Alex is fine, opinionated news is Giant Bomb appropriate.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By turbo_toaster

I love that their answer is to offer something they'd already offered which is, as you said, nothing more than an opportunity to buy more from them. If people really don't like being treated like that they ought to not buy the damn game and send a message. A collective response is the best way to do this, unfortunately the people who put all of their hard work into the game would suffer as a result but that kind of business mentality is poisonous all-around long term.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#158  Edited By Deusoma
    @keef said:

@Brodehouse said:

Oh Alex. I wonder if you're physically capable of writing a news story without being snarky.

You sound like a douche when you start sentences with "Oh." Alex is fine, opinionated news is Giant Bomb appropriate.

To simultaneously agree and disagree with you, no, Alex really is kind of a dick, but yes, that's okay in a relaxed environment like Whiskey Media.
    Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Tarsier

people are really going hard on this game, probably in response to the marketing campaign.

dont be stupid people, its a videogame, play the damn thing and shut up, and if you dont like it then fine. dont judge it on outside things.

BlameGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160  Edited By BlameGamer

I would just return the game and issue a chargeback for my credit card. I didn't get what I was told I would get. Done. Report them to the Better Business Bureau.

FellOpenIan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By FellOpenIan

It's hard to pin this on Sony when you can go right here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/16/e3-replay-battlefield-3-for-ps3/

And see Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach tell you that it's coming on the disc for free for PS3 users.

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By TromboneTony

On one hand, EA did lie about the game being included...

On the other hand, you guys are complaining about not receiving a game that came out over 2 years ago that you probably weren't going to play anyways. Companies shouldn't lie like this, but maybe people need to start picking their battles. I'm guessing EA/Dice have a lot more to worry about than a free game they didn't include.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By SomeJerk

Welp, release a game with the PC as the target platform and treat consoles like console primary games treat the PC > get shit on.

Guess we can't win.

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Olivaw

@Deusoma said:

@keef said:

@Brodehouse said:

To simultaneously agree and disagree with you, no, Alex really is kind of a dick, but yes, that's okay in a relaxed environment like Whiskey Media.

I agree and all, but this particular story is kind of insane.

To never ever announce that "oh yeah this console exclusive bonus doesn't exist" until after the first wave of release day buyers have got it in their hands is pretty fucked.

Admittedly, the PS3 audience for Battlefield 3 is the smallest audience of a multiplatform title, but that doesn't excuse shit. If it were the other way 'round, and 360 owners were getting marginalized, would people be as apathetic? I very much doubt it!

So the tone of the article is appropriate to me.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By darkjester74

It kinda sounds like someone made a promise or announcement that the EA execs had not approved and they just kinda hoped everyone forgot about it. The right answer was to say "Oh hey, sorry about that, here is a code for a free copy from PSN" or something. But this? Holy crap.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#166  Edited By CrimsonNoir

I definitely agree that this blows for PS3 players, but anyone still bitching about the buggy beta needs to play the game now cause they fixed those bugs from what I've seen. And it was a beta so quit whining.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Thiago123

EA's policy on handling screw-ups for thei loyal customers: "Fuck 'em...they'll buy it anyway."

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#168  Edited By The_Nubster

@ArcadeHero said:

Above and beyond the call indeed. :/

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By hemmelight

I knew they were going to fuck up the PS3 version somehow.

It's shit like this that makes me wonder why I even bother with multiplatform releases. Looks like this and Skyrim will finally push me over into building a nice gaming PC.

Thanks, EA. I guess.

Rudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Rudy

this might be the biggest slap in yo face i've seen from a game developer in a long time... if not ever! Way to go EA.

On a sidenote I'm loving BF3 on the PC so far... Fortunately, I was promised Dead Space 2 for my preorder and I received it ;)

benHaskett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By benHaskett

I wasn't going to buy battlefield 3 anyway (not that i'm getting mw3, either), and I don't remember the announcement (even though I watched the press conference), so I'm not too steamed about this personally. I would never have known if not for this article, so I'd like to imagine some EA executive somewhere wringing his hands, saying "and I would've gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling enthusiast game sites!" But this really sucks... More than anything else, personally, this is ultimately just another hilarious bullet point on the list of silly things EA had done with Battlefield 3...

sam89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By sam89

I can't believe some of you in the comments are brushing this off as not a big deal! You are basically saying it's okay for a company to outright LIE to you about one of their products. It's like a store telling you they will give you a $10 coupon with any $60 purchase and then in the end deny you the coupon and not give you a refund. There are some people with both consoles that probably bought the ps3 version just for the extra content, which DOESN'T exist. Some of you people may be fine with being deceived, but in this case it just seems criminal.

bunnyfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By bunnyfiend

Gives me gteat hope for ME3...

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Potter9156

Does anyone on PS3 actually care? No one at this point is even playing the game online, and regardless of player count, who wants to play 1943 now that they have BF3? Sucks they broke a promise I guess, but personally, I would rather have B2K a week early.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#175  Edited By Seppli

@MattyFTM said:

@Seppli said:

@vonFlampanker said:

@MattyFTM: @MattyFTM said:

They could have apologized for the mishap and gave every PS3 BF3 owner a free download copy of 1943. But nope. Oh EA.

My thoughts exactly. What would have been the problem with getting a code out to people? Not like they're making a mint off of 1943 at this point anyway.

Wouldn't it be Sony who has to apologize? It's their fucking bonus deal. At E3 they said it's going to be BF1943 and then they change it for a 1 week exclusivity deal on DLC, without informing the public about the omission of BF1943.

Sony's at least as guilty as EA, though I feel like it's Sony who's broken promises here and not EA.

It sounds like EA simply forgot to put it on the disk. Making it EA's fault. If Sony or EA planned to replace 1943 with early access to the DLC, they would have announced it beforehand, surely.

What's the problem then? Just unlock BF1943 for PSN accounts with a BF3 key. Simple.

Though as I said, to me it reads like Sony didn't go through with the deal they struck for the free BF1943 bonus and took the 1 week exclusivity deal instead.

Some PR dudes will certainly put out a more clear statement soon enough. All this speculation and 'hopefully groundless' accusation isn't really helping anyone.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#176  Edited By Chris2KLee

Man, what is going on at EA? They took one of the most anticipated games of the year and turned it into a PR nightmare, and they didn't even have to do anything to sell the game! The over aggressive marketing is one thing, but this is just ridiculous. Jack Trenton should honor what he said on stage at E3 and have Sony just issue free BF1943 codes to people. Total mess.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By laserbolts
    @imsh_pl
    @Stingraymond said:

Disappointment of the year and it just gets worse.

You should really play Duke Nukem Forever.

On topic: Wow, that's just fucking pathetic. I'm out of words.
    You expected duke nukem to be good?
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Seppli

@iAmJohn:

As I said, to me some of this reads like 'Sony noticed that the BF1943 Bonus will entice nobody and changed the deal from BF1943 to a 1 week PSN-exclusivity for all future BF3 DLC' and conveniently forgot to inform the public. Both EA and Sony should have said something, neither did.

How isn't it just as much Sony's fault, if not more so? At least if this scenario is correct. We just do not know yet.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Brendan

EA forgot to brush the dirt of their shoulder.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Subjugation

If I bought BF3, well, it would be for BF3, not BF1943. Yeah, shame on them for not including something they said they would, but I don't know if I would care all that much beyond that. I'm much more interested in playing BF3 than 1943.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Seppli

@Potter9156 said:

Does anyone on PS3 actually care? No one at this point is even playing the game online, and regardless of player count, who wants to play 1943 now that they have BF3? Sucks they broke a promise I guess, but personally, I would rather have B2K a week early.

Wierd. Half of my PSN friendslist was playing BF3 last night. Also, it's just North Americans officially in the game. Mainland Europe gets into the fray tomorrow (unlocks on Origin in 2 hours) and the rest of the World (UK, Asia, Australia and some others) get to play on Friday.

Retail streetday in Europe is on the 27th, respectively the 28th in UK. PSN and XBL players have access to the MP already, if they got their copy early. That's certainly a minority. Millions of Europeans will join the fray in the next 26 hours. MILLIONS!

vhold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By vhold

There's a lot of early false advertising in the video game and software worlds. Microsoft used to be completely notorious for this, they could crush small time competition with just a false promise. They seem to be somewhat better now though.

FellOpenIan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By FellOpenIan

How about less apathy and more empathy?

Pretend that this is about, oh I dunno, something that you do care about being lied to over.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By imsh_pl
    @laserbolts: I expected it to be decent or average at least. And it turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever played.

I didn't play BF3 yet but I expected it to be a good/very good shooter, not a gaming revolution. And judging by all the reviews out there I wouldn't be that disappointed if I picked it up.
    WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#185  Edited By WickedCobra03

@nohthink said:

.... Totally forgot about it....

I was just going to ask that. Do you really think people forgot about that, or at least do you think EVERYONE forgot about that? Even if you have only handful of people who remembered that, those people are still going to be kind of irked about it... aka me.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#186  Edited By Dagbiker

@vhold said:

There's a lot of early false advertising in the video game and software worlds. Microsoft used to be completely notorious for this, they could crush small time competition with just a false promise. They seem to be somewhat better now though.

Yah, and they where almost broken up into multiple company's because of it.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By xbob42

@Giantstalker said:

@xbob42 said:

@Giantstalker said:

@jfk80

Not bothered in the slightest, I'll be too busy playing, y'know, Battlefield 3?

This. People love getting caught up in the petty periphery stuff and prefer to ignore that DICE has created one of the best multiplayer games in years. Typical, but what can you expect from 'faux-pas' hungry media. Obscure the honest to goodness fun with as much sensationalist smoke as possible, right on!

"We got a game we like, so it's okay to keep sticking it up our ass!"

Do us all a favor, next time you have a thought, keep it to yourself.

Do us all a favor, and just stop posting. My comment wasn't particularly nice but you added nothing to the discussion at all by attacking me. This is barely news and you know it, but that didn't stop Alex and everyone like yourself from getting a chance to complain and whine about it. For 95% of people buying BF3, this is a nonfactor.

"It doesn't affect me, so it isn't news and you most definitely shouldn't report blatant lies that just add to the other blatant lies."

Listen to yourself, you sound like a 12-year old defending his very first game purchase. If it has nothing to do with you, shut the fuck up and move on, because it is relevant to anyone buying the PS3 version.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#188  Edited By Deusoma
    @Olivaw
    Oh, I wasn't remarking on the tone of the article, just on the personality of the writer. I fully agree that this was an idiotic mess on the part of whoever was in charge of the console exclusives at EA, and would encourage a harsh tone in the article about it no matter who wrote it. I was just commenting on AlexN's demeanour in general. He has a tendency to be a bit of a douche sometimes, very snarky at the least, but it adds flavour to the news posts, and I have yet to see an example where the quality of an article or review was compromised because of it. Well, on Giant Bomb anyway. Don't really follow Screened all that closely.
    SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#189  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

That is disgusting.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By ABritishNerd

I already had it anyway.

GreatlyAmused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By GreatlyAmused

Why can't they just make a good game and stop ruining it with all this marketing PR bullshit! Whatever, I'll just play Bad Company 2 if I want a shooter, fuck Battlefield 3.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Th3_James

@Livingitlarge224 said:

Why can't they just make a good game and stop ruining it with all this marketing PR bullshit! Whatever, I'll just play Bad Company 2 if I want a shooter, fuck Battlefield 3.

It's a better game than Bad Company 2....

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#193  Edited By thatlad

Unreal that there so much activision hate against COD (mosty justified) yet we keep letting ea get away with it. I bought medal of honour to give ea a chance but felt ripped off by the measly few maps, I can see me feeling the same about bf3. May have to rethink this

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lying and false advertising is disgusting. The apathy in some of these comments is even worse.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By coakroach

What a bunch of Electronic Artists.

penINC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By penINC

@zoner said:

@Stingraymond said:

Disappointment of the year and it just gets worse.

At least BF3 is conceptually fun. LA Noire turned out to be a controller vibration simulator.

I don't know, a controller vibration simulator sounds pretty "conceptually fun" to me.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By korwin

Man the business side of this launch is just going from bad to worse, at least the game itself is great (well, the bit that counts :D)

Avatar image for deactivated-5da3d18e4cdc9
    deactivated-5da3d18e4cdc9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hamz: Technically, it is. RTK is free for all purchasers of new copies.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#199  Edited By gbrading
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#200  Edited By Slaker117

That gif is amazing.

Also,   

fuck you EA.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.