Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 3

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 25, 2011

Battlefield 3 is DICE's third numerical installment in the Battlefield franchise. It features a single player and co-operative campaign, as well as an extensive multiplayer component.

Why This BF2 Veteran Is Disappointed With BF3 (So Far)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By B0nd07

We still know very little about the game, but some key features (removed or otherwise) have been announced, and as you know, some of us are not pleased with some of them.

A recent thread brought me to BF3 Blog, a BF3 fan site, and I came across a few of their articles.  I found that they pretty well mirrored my thoughts on how BF3 should be developed.  My hope is that these articles will shed some light for those that are having a hard time understanding where we're coming from.

What Battlefield 3 needs to avoid
    A short list of things that would be better left out of BF3 (but probably won't).

Why Battlefield 3 needs more than 4 classes
    A short article that expands one of the previous articles points on why BF3 should have more than four classes.  Not necessarily BF2's seven, but more than four.  It explains the problem with BC2's limited number of classes, and why BF2's seven worked, using Team Fortress' nine as an example.

Top 10 things we wish to see in Battlefield 3
    A little bonus article that includes things that this veteran hopes makes it into BF3, even if two of them are already out.

So far, Battlefield 3 is sounding more like Bad Company 3.  And hopefully, after reading the articles, you can understand why us BF2 veterans are a little upset.  We want a more complex game than BC2 was.  Of course, this doesn't mean I'm at the point of not buying it yet.  I'm waiting to actually see the game before passing judgment.

[Edit]
    Come on people.  Disappointed =/= hating, boycotting, not gonna buy.  It just means that, so far, two of the major things I wanted in the game aren't.  If <developer> took out <game defining concept> from the sequel to <your favorite series>, you'd be disappointed too.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jayross

Yeah, if this was Bad Company 3 it would be amazing, but right now it looks like a remake of BF3 that probably will look better but won't be as good.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Meh, people will blame console sales and whatnot, while saying the XBL sales will be 5x what PC could ever do.  EA wants money, and EA owns DICE.  Maybe if DICE was independent, they would've done something different...but alas. 

Also, some guy is going to say "WAIT FOR GDC"...but these random bits of information are putting it on a low note.  -_- 

How the fuck do you have 64 players and only 4 man Squads, without any real organization? 

It could work on the 360 because KD ratios are the most important thing for your e-penis, but not on the PC with maps that size.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Enigma777

You know, outside of only having 4 classes, I don't see the rest of the complains as anything except people* whining about every little change in their favorite series.  

*Except the glorious and mighty Ahmad_Metallic, for he is no simple person but a god among men!

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Gizmo

You haven't even played the game yet, stop getting your knickers in a twist. Dice know what the hell they're doing, they've been in the business of Battlefield for a long time, and correct me if i'm wrong, but every Battlefield game has got continually better.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Gizmo said:
    " but every Battlefield game has got continually better. "
    BF1942 > BF Vietnam 
    BF2 > BF2142 
    BC2 > BC2 Vietnam 

....you see the pattern?
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blueduck

EA and Dice want some of that sweet sweet mainstream bro gamer money! 
    and who could blame'em bro 

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By poser

Regen effectively killed the genre imo...at least online. As the article says it discourages team work and dumbs down the game. 

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By GeneralTurkle
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    BF1942 > BF Vietnam BF2 > BF2142 BC2 > BC2 Vietnam  ....you see the pattern? "
    So true. 2142 was one of the worst games I have ever played
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Malakhii
    @Enigma777 said:
    " You know, outside of only having 4 classes, I don't see the rest of the complains as anything except people whining about every little change in their favorite series.  "
    Especially before you've gotten to spend a serious chunk of time with it. Hell I don't even mind the 4 class thing, each class being a little more flexible isn't really a problem for me. Have faith in DICE, at least until we can actually play the game and realize it's a buggy mess that spew's out smallpox when you play it. 
    2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

While I hope BF3 will turn out great and I am sure I didn't see every piece of information out there I find it weird that people already are disappointed in the game with the little information we have. The only thing that worrys me is the 24 players on consoles 64 on PC thing ... unless they find a smart way to do it I cant imagine how maps that support 24 playes will support 64 as well ... not without one side suffering.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MrKlorox

The class number is a complete and total non-issue if you spent any time unlocking things in 2142. They totally fucked up the unlocks in BC2 though, making it seem like it was the limit's fault.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

reading now, thank you

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaneDev

I really do not understand this disappointment with the game. I love Battlefield games and most of the changes from BF2 have seemed to be smart changes none of which suggest that it will be a dumbed down console pandering game. The player limit and map size may be a bit weird, not sure how thats going to work but frankly the game so far looks very good and so far we have seen very little to nothing about the game.

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By B0nd07
    @Gizmo said:
    " You haven't even played the game yet, stop getting your knickers in a twist. "
    There are others who are much more upset about this stuff than I am.  As I said, I'm withholding my judgment until I actually see the game.  I'm only trying to open some eyes to where some of us were coming from.  So far, from what has been announced, BF3 is sounding like a very different game than we were expecting.  Does that mean it won't be good?  No, it's just not what we wanted.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen enough of the game to form any kind of opinion yet.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kishan6
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Gizmo said:
    BF1942 > BF Vietnam BF2 > BF2142 BC2 < BC2 Vietnam  ....you see the pattern? "
    Fix'd 
    BFBC2V is easily better than bad company 2...
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @kishan6 said:
    "Fix'd BFBC2V is easily better than bad company 2... "
    That is debatable.  Most of the games I played in BC2 Vietnam turned into TDM due to the maps, some people liked the style but I didn't.  I don't want BF3 to follow the same path.  
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Gizmo said:
    " You haven't even played the game yet, stop getting your knickers in a twist.  "
    @TheSeductiveMoose said:
    "
    I haven't seen enough of the game to form any kind of opinion yet.
    "

this is pretty simple : 

Battlefield 3 is not a new game. its a Battlefield game. its a sequel to Battlefield 2, and an installment in a franchise with ten games or more 
    As a sequel to a game that had X and Y, BF3 not having X and Y makes it not a proper sequel, especially if those X and Y were essential in the previous game 

no, i havent seen the game, i havent played it, but i know its a shooter, i know its a Battlefield game thats basically the same as other Battlefield games except for more destructibility and some new badass features, i know its SUPPOSED to be very genuine and true to Battlefield 2 because thats the logical way of things, and so, i can already judge many things in it based on interviews that pretty much told me that those essential X and Y are gonna be ditched. 

If i'm bitching about Spec Ops: The Line, Homefront or Brink, you have my personal permission to castrate me. 

However, this is a Battlefield game in the Battlefield series. it has a core and a pattern we know by heart, so the next time you want to repeat the same old 'we havent seen it yet' tired line, make sure whether its a new IP or an installment in a 10+ game franchise !
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ahmad_Metallic:  I know, I played it regularly from its release up until a year ago. Still think it's too early, there's like a year left until it's released.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Enigma777 said:

" You know, outside of only having 4 classes, I don't see the rest of the complains as anything except people whining about every little change in their favorite series.  "

Excuse me, have you played Battlefield 2 for a number of years?  
    have you spent countless times playing 12 hours straight with food and drinks lying around you, playing with your BF2 clan and running up and down 12 64-player maps, switching back and forth between the kits, running with 6 man squads whose every member had his own specialty, captured flags and lost them and killed and got killed and ran up hills and crossed the seas and interacted with serious commanders and voted against bad ones, flew jets and dropped bombs for hours and hopped into tanks and laid claymores around flags and flew choppers above and below broken down bridges, crawled around bases with the commander's blessings raining around you and showing you nearby enemies, etc..  ? 

I dont know where all you "YOU'RE WHINING" claimers get the fucking nerves to hop onto a forum board of a game you barely played, talk shit about veteran players and their demands, and live with yourselves, and even worse, not be stopped by anyone. 

You dont see me anywhere around your fucking Halo and Killzone forums, so have some fucking decency already.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Skald

Maybe it will be a good game in it's own right. It doesn't need to be a carbon copy of an existing game to be a good Battlefield game.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clonedzero

i don't understand the whole 4 class complaint. BC2's classes weren't terrible, though i'll admit they werent as good as they could be.

however, if BF3 built on the BF2142 class model with branching unlocks to give each class two separate but distinct subclasses, then that could be really awesome.

If forced to pick between BF2's class system and BC2's though, i'd pick BC2's. BF2's classes were very poorly balanced. engineer being outright useless outside of a tank. the medic being a better assault than the assault. the medic being a better spec ops aside from c4. the sniper being even more useless than BC2's bushwookies. support was rarely needed since people didn't run out of ammo that much and if they did they could pick up another kit, which would probably match theirs since medics were way better than anything else lol.

there seems to be alot of panic about the changes they're making, some i can understand alittle bit of concern over, but overall i dont think anyone has enough info about the game to warrent this level of panic. once they announce killstreaks or something crazy like that ill jump on the panic wagon too, but until i see something that i can tell is going to be bad then i'll give DICE the benefit of the doubt. i've loved all the battlefield games so far.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Lol, just because I haven't played BF2 for 12 hours straight, I'm not not allowed to voice my opinion on it? GTFO!

I enjoy the Battlefield series as much as the next guy, but you know what? Change is not such a bad thing. Why the hell do people fear it so much?! It's not like it's the first game (or the last) to do so. Hell, the changes are not even that big for fucks sake!!! I can think of a dozen franchises where the sequels were much different and for the most part they were all for the better. How about you have some fucking trust in the developer instead of trying to prove how hardcore of a fan you are?!

Also you are welcome in the Halo and Killzone forums, because guess what, I don't fucking own them! Also I'm not an arrogant prick. 
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Enigma777 said:
    Some of them may be little changes, yes, but in the end all those "small changes" add up to a dumbed-down, Call of Duty-ified game.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Enigma777 said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic: Lol, just because I haven't played BF2 for 12 hours straight, I'm not not allowed to voice my opinion on it? GTFO! "

you're not having an opinion when u call me a whiner, you're being ignorant and disrespectful by telling a biker about his bikes while all you drive is cars .. 
    I love how you come on here, look at us die hard BF2 fans who'd give our testicles away to have a glorious BF3 we've been dying for, tell us we're "whining", and call it an opinion... 

" Also you are welcome in the Halo and Killzone forums, because guess what, I don't fucking own them! "

I'm welcome as a passer-by who's checking the shit out or actually has something to say on the matter 
    but i highly doubt that you'd welcome me on the KZ3 forum calling you a whiner for wanting something in KZ3 than KZ2 had (and was pretty damn essential), and tell me its my 'opinion' .. what kind of fucking opinion is that ? it doesnt have the definition of an opinion.
    you'd call me a PC elitist troll and tell me to GTFO in a matter of seconds. 

"  Also I'm not an arrogant prick.  "

I'm not an arrogant prick. im a person who's spent most of his gaming years bathing in Battlefield 2 and is deeply hurt by the new tragic changes that take some of the franchise's essence away, only to find someone like you come on here and say im bitching and whining. where the fuck do you get off
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Please point me to part where I called you a whiner and identified you by your name. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

As you can see, the entire world doesn't revolve around you... My first post in this thread had absolutely nothing to do with you and I can personally guarantee that I wasn't thinking about you when I was writing it. Hell, I still don't even know who you are! 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Enigma777:   

here : 

@Enigma777 said: 

I'm one of the people with all the complaints. so your comment includes me 
    when i said "me" in the previous posts, i didnt mean myself personally. i meant me and every other BF2 junkie with complaints.. if that wasnt obvious, here i am clarifying it.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Enigma777:   

here : 

@Enigma777 said: 

I'm one of the people with all the complaints. so your comment includes me when i said "me" in the previous posts, i didnt mean myself personally. i meant me and every other BF2 junkie with complaints.. if that wasnt obvious, here i am clarifying it. "
    If it makes you feel better, I will clarifying my initial comment to include everyone but you. There, happy? You're no longer a whiner, just a really loud and obnoxious complainer... You're welcome.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By withateethuh
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Enigma777 said:

" @Ahmad_Metallic: Lol, just because I haven't played BF2 for 12 hours straight, I'm not not allowed to voice my opinion on it? GTFO! "

you're not having an opinion when u call me a whiner, you're being ignorant and disrespectful by telling a biker about his bikes while all you drive is cars .. 
    I love how you come on here, look at us die hard BF2 fans who'd give our testicles away to have a glorious BF3 we've been dying for, tell us we're "whining", and call it an opinion... 

" Also you are welcome in the Halo and Killzone forums, because guess what, I don't fucking own them! "

I'm welcome as a passer-by who's checking the shit out or actually has something to say on the matter 
    but i highly doubt that you'd welcome me on the KZ3 forum calling you a whiner for wanting something in KZ3 than KZ2 had (and was pretty damn essential), and tell me its my 'opinion' .. what kind of fucking opinion is that ? it doesnt have the definition of an opinion.
    you'd call me a PC elitist troll and tell me to GTFO in a matter of seconds. 

"  Also I'm not an arrogant prick.  "

I'm not an arrogant prick. im a person who's spent most of his gaming years bathing in Battlefield 2 and is deeply hurt by the new tragic changes that take some of the franchise's essence away, only to find someone like you come on here and say im bitching and whining. where the fuck do you get off "
    If you're deeply hurt by a videogame, BF3 is the least of your problems.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Enigma777 said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Enigma777:   

here : 

@Enigma777 said: 

I'm one of the people with all the complaints. so your comment includes me when i said "me" in the previous posts, i didnt mean myself personally. i meant me and every other BF2 junkie with complaints.. if that wasnt obvious, here i am clarifying it. "
    If it makes you feel better, I will clarifying my initial comment to include everyone but you. There, happy? You're no longer a whiner, just a really loud and obnoxious complainer... You're welcome. "
    thank you. im gonna be quoting this pathetic post of yours for the next 9 months showing random assholes who disrupt our Battlefield discussions with their out-of-the-blue "QUIT WHININ'" comments that they need to keep the fuck out because they're not contributing, but rather calling us names (whiners and bitchers) and essentially disrespecting other members without any basis whatsoever. 

page bookmarked !
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I'm glad I could be of service. Cheers to our future discussions in the Battlefield forums, cause I think I like it here. Nice and cozy with just the right amount of gullibility with a hint of the sad realization of an impending disappointment. 
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Enough.

I'm tempted to go through and delete every stupid post in this whole thread but seeing as that would involve most of them it's easier if I just lock the whole fucking thing. 

Learn to play nice or I will take away your toys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.