Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Is it me or they made the assault class pointless?

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

In Battlefield 4:

• You go down fast: like COD fast even in normal mode
    • Low hit points made health packs near to useless
    • Low hit points means trying to res anyone is a suicide
    • The res mechanic makes the medic vulnerable
    • There are lots of vehicles in most maps, anti vehicle mesures are kind of a must
    • I really can't appreciate a big difference between carbines and a. rifles, in fact I slightly prefer carbines due to general lower re-coil
    • If you need distance you can wear a DMR any time in any class.
    • Anyone can wear a shotgun anyways
    • Finally kind of anecdotical evidence but I mostly see engineers all the time all the maps

What you guys think? is it me or the assault class is kind of redundant now, his primary role as a healer is useless, and his firepower advantage with automatic fire arms is available to everyone else, plus he is defenceless against vehicles.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know, they seem pretty important when you are attacking in rush.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

It's you. Assault is finally somewhat balanced while still having the overall most reliable primary weapons in the game.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a pointless class for me as i don't have fun with any of the gadgets it has. I don't enjoy running around healing/reviving people and never enjoy using grenade launchers. I play mostly engineer or sniper as you have weapons to use against both infantry and vehicles. Playing as assault leaves me feeling exposed not having something to deal with tanks etc. On the infantry focused maps i play as support as i find the airburst/morter/UCAV more entertaining to use.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played too much, but anytime I try to revive people like I used to in other BF games, I feel like I'm getting punished, and definitely dying more. I don't know if it's because I don't know the maps yet or not, but yeah the reduced health could be an issue too. Either way for the first time ever, I feel like I'm more effective using assault as a true assault class, and replacing health packs with a grenade launcher. I'm usually a hard-core medic all the way.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The majority of people who run the class make it seem pointless, seriously, do your team a favor and carry at least defibs, if you pair it with a health pack, major props from me.

Well, some people do..but they don't use it.

I think the class is balanced, they still have access to most versatile weapons in the game. Only thing I dislike is how they made revive time slower and increased time it takes to switch to pistol or gadget (in this case, defibs)

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's a slayer class, just post up and control a route on the map it's not that hard.

roughneck117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By roughneck117

Its like ive traveled back in time to when DICE made these changes to the assault class in BF3. The reason for there mostly being engineers is that its a battlefield game with vehicles and shit and to take them down you need explodey stuff which is something the engineer class is built to do, even more when youre playing china rising.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

In situations where tickets are more of an issue, having some Assaults out on the field can make a huge difference. Plus if you're playing with friends they can be hugely effective in keeping a squad alive and attacking. I've definitely won games because someone was able to keep the revives going while we were taking objectives.

Still though, lots of engineers out there. Can't blame them with all the vehicles around though. Also having C4 on two classes now is really painful for vehicles :(

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By colourful_hippie

You have to know when to use assault, they're great for helping a group push forward through bottlenecks by constantly tossing out health and they're better used for inside buildings and close quarter combat, don't be the dumbass lone assault guy running across an open field.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this is more "I don't like/I am bad at playing assault", not the assault being useless. They are not as sick as previous, but if you think they are useless then that means you're playing in such a way that make the class less usefull for you. If you would play the game like I do (With friends in a squad, holding grounds, not the average run n gun straight into the enemies line of sight), the assault is a huge buff to the squad, and often the entire team (Gamemodes with tickets will forever cherish good assaults).

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I exclusively played on Hardcore servers in BF3 (and BF:BC2), and myself and the guys I play with found medics to be invaluable. Kind of a different beast, though, I'll grant you; friendly fire tends to make people a little more conservative about raining death into mixed groups of people.

Played with two other guys, and our squad was typically one assault, one engineer, and one support, unless the situation called for something different; worked out well for us, most of the time. Haven't played BF4 yet, though, so maybe the dynamic isn't quite the same anymore.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I do quite fine with it. Thing is with healing you have to pick your spots. Don't go rez people if hostiles are still around.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I couldn't disagree more.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Assault rifles still are the go-to infantry slaying guns they always were. Supremely dependable from CQC to medium-long ranges. Grenade lauchers can be very useful, especially the LVG variant - bounce grenades off walls for surprise kills. The health box is a gigantic boon with its AoE healing effect that's not disrupted by damage, and thus often decides head-on situations in favor of the prepared assault kit guy and his mates.

While I disagree with you on a whole, defibs are indeed a rather rare sight, and much harder to use properly. That said, I'd much prefer a design with limited revives anyways, but every kit can do it by default, regardless of loadout. Like 1-2 consumable adrenaline syringes for revives and self-heal, rather than a dedicated rezzer kit and automatic out of combat health regeneration. That'd be swell design in my book. Also introduce a meds-resupply crate for support guys.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blommer4: for what is worth I'm division 1 with a. rifle, carbine and both medic/engineer.

@mikkaq said:

I haven't played too much, but anytime I try to revive people like I used to in other BF games, I feel like I'm getting punished,

yeah I got the same feeling, defibs are kind of a rare sight now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.