Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Second Assault Out Now (PS4/PC) - First Impressions?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

I am a way too tired, and there's a tad bit too much server-lag today for me to really dig in already, but I can already say that these maps are a huge step up from their BF3 ancestry. I've not yet played Metro, but Caspian and Oman are flippin' amazing, and even Firestorm - which I loathed in BF3 - has gained a lot of personality.

The sandstorm on Oman must be the most impressive videogame wheather to date, and Caspian is just flat-out amazing, with its new Levolution-element at the central capture point (which has now a whole undergournd lair coming with it, as well as a secret entrance) - and damn if that borderwall isn't crazy iconic.

Apparently a team at EA/Visceral was responsible for the overhaul of these maps. Likely the guys who are doing the rumored Police-themed Battlefield game. These maps certainly make me hopeful that I'll enjoy their efforts in the future. Bring it on!

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

As a huge fan of all of these original maps I have to say my initial impression is that these re-imaginings are pretty damn awesome. Love the palette change as well as the different but still familiar details, just great stuff.....very happy bunny :)

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I didn't know they were actually adding new things to these maps. I was initially bummed and confused about why they decided to redo the two worst BF3 maps, and also remake the remake of Gulf for this DLC, but I'm excited to try them out now.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Oh, it's out? Guess I finally get to be reunited with my M60 after all these months! It's been too long, old friend...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Is the core game fixed yet?

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both Caspian Sea and Metro, the only one's I've played as of yet. They're great and worth the money IMO. The maps are only out for Premium members now. As for the game being fixed it has worked fine for me since mid December.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Seppli

Ugh. Metro. What a clusterfuck in CQ64. I'll never understand how they didn't connect A directly with C by elongating the playable part of the subway tunnel. When I'm fightig dudes in the subway tunnel itself, it's good fun. But being stuck at the chokepoints is still as painful as ever. The two new paths don't do jack-shit with 64 players being condensed into that small middle area.

CQ64 Metro is the worst. And the people who voted for this map to show up again should be ashamed of themselves. Having to play this map in rotation almost ruins Second Assault for me.

What really irks me is, Op. Metro was the most popular map in the vote. The vocal minority agrees. This is the most awful, most broken, hellish map ever created. At least for Conquest 64. Yet somehow the consumerbase at large *loves loves loves* Operation Métro. Turns my stomach really.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a hopper on PS4 that throws the Premium maps into the regular rotation?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

@seppli: Yeah, it's really disappointing that the map made a return, but when you look at the kind of people who voted for it, it's not at all surprising. Operation Locker is a much better designed close quarters map and the game really didn't need another one. Both Metro and Locker are popular simply because of how easy it is to rack up points, not because they're fun (although they certainly can be under the right circumstances).

@sterling said:

Is the core game fixed yet?

Not entirely. It still crashes every now and then, the server browser still has a few issues, and stats are sometimes inconsistent and inaccurate, too. It mostly runs pretty good, but there are parts of the gameplay that are broken as well, not to mention numerous balancing issues that I hope they attend to soon.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By spraynardtatum

I tried to get into a game of BF4 on Monday and it wouldn't even load.

“First, we want to thank the fans out there that are playing and supporting us with Battlefield 4. We know we still have a ways to go with fixing the game – it is absolutely our #1 priority. The team at DICE is working non-stop to update the game. Since Battlefield 4 China Rising expansion pack was already in the final stages of development by the time issues began with Battlefield 4, we decided to fulfill our promise to deliver it this week, but we’re not moving onto future projects or expansions until we sort out all the issues with Battlefield 4. We know many of our players are frustrated, and we feel your pain. We will not stop until this is right

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli

@onekillwonder_:

Aye. That's why. Easy XP. Spamming nades into a bottomless pit of boredom.

It's an odd and fucked up thing to say, but the majority ruins it for the minority with some class. Like in GTA Online, the most popular races go in a small circle, and the host sets it to one lap. At least that was before Rockstar nerfed the earnings on these tracks. Like 90% of all matchmaking put me into one of these races, and it's the only lobbies that really held water, playercount-wise.

People ask me why I am such a misanthrope. How can you play videogames online and not become one? It's not like *real* life is any different either. A rat race to end up on the right side of wrong. Just like fucking Operation Métro. I have to remember myself every now and then, one day a rock will fall from the sky, and piss on everyone's parade. That's enough consolation for me. For now.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I was trying to play TDM last night and I kept getting this weird glitch where I would connect to the server but only have access to the default gear in each class. Only happened when trying to play Second Assault maps.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was trying to play TDM last night and I kept getting this weird glitch where I would connect to the server but only have access to the default gear in each class. Only happened when trying to play Second Assault maps.

That was a common occurence in BF:BC 1 and 2. Something on their backend. Didn't encounter it since forever though. Not as much a bug, as their infrastructure crumbling under the pressure of peak traffic. Or it was out-of-schedule maintenance.

None of your account information is stored locally, in terms of unlocks and whatnot. At least I'd be willing to bet on it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Seppli

PSA - most assignments must be completed in single round each. Like *Perfect Landing*. Parachute onto the very top of the tower on Firestorm or Caspian. Have a 10+kil streak. Both in one round, or it resets.

My K/D is going to take a hit, monkeying around on those towers for the sniper assignment. Thought I had it already, but missed the fact that I killed most people with my sidearm -competition with the same idea as I- instead of with my sniper rifle. Lacked the required sniper rifle ribbon by the end. Already went down 0.01 in K/D today, doing this monkey business.

Pent up anger will be released by equipping peak competitive gear for once, and going to fucking town.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah. Metro still sucks. I like the CTF gametype though.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot that folks are just getting this - have been playing it for months. Gulf is pretty stellar and Caspian is great fun...Metro just feels like more Locker (or vice versa).

But as an Xbox One Premium player, I'm ready for Naval Warfare.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

Just finished the *Air Mail* assignment. Man, picking up a flag carrier with an Attack Chopper in a round of 64 player CTF... not an easy task. So many close calls. Getting pubs to do what needs doing for that assignment... comedy gold. That's putting a positive spin on it. Finally got it today though. How badass is that Black/Orange Splinter vehicular camo? Admittedly, I seeked out a lower pop server to get it finally done.

Got to say, 64 player CTF is tons of fun. Love the *non-instant* returns, where-in the dropped flag acts like a Conuest Capture point. A welcome improvement to the CTF formula. CTF 64 on Operation Metro is just as congested as it is in CQ64. What a mess! Oh well, people seem to like it though. Bad people, that is.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

The only thing Metro is good for is unlocking atachments for whatever weapon is tickling your fancy at the moment. Mine was the UTS-15 which up I hadn't really bothered with up until the appreciation unlock. Now it's onto sniper rifles (unf, time to burn through the XP bonuses I'm hoarding).

I'm finding I have a better time on Gulf or Caspian but loathe Firestorm due to my sniper disdain, especially on pub servers where you end up having to hoof it everywhere.

Also having a pain trying to find Rush matches to play. Seems like it's 98% CQ with the remainder being some hardcore variant.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

It's terrific. I've always loved Gulf of Oman and it's easily my favorite map in the game now. The sandstorm is really awesome. I hated Caspian Border and Firestorm in BF3 (partially because I was playing on 360 so the smaller player count made them pretty terrible) but they're actually great in Second Assault. The new paths added to Caspian Border, specifically around the C capture point (I think it's C... it's the hill with the tower) make getting up there much less of a hassle. And Firestorm is one of my favorite maps now, specifically because I love the fire effects and how dense the capture points are.

Metro is... I don't know. It was a hit or miss for me in BF3 with 24 players, but with 64 it's kind of a mess. The action can be fun at B when there's a stalemate there (which there usually is) but the US team is at an extreme disadvantage when they get trapped at the bottom of the escalators. Eventually the lack of forward momentum from either team makes it kinda boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.