Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

So...Battlefield (Xbox One servers down)

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By theanticitizen

Well...as if things couldn't get worse for DICE and BF4, the Xbox One servers have completely melted. I couldn't join any games and their Twitter feed is just reply after reply of them saying "we're aware of the issues and trying to fix it" or something along those lines. What a mess this game has become and it's really too bad because the game is a lot of fun. So, have you guys hit any serious issues? I'm on Xbox One so I got hit with the meltdown but also had my campaign wiped 3 times and multiple crashes.

Brogdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

On PC I've seen the occasional crash past the first couple weeks (where they were more frequent). Other than that it's just been general netcode, one hit kill and balance issues. I'm up to level 60 and having a very enjoyable time despite some minor technical issues. Sad to hear the consoles are having such major issues now that they finally have player size parity.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By falserelic

On the ps3 I've had the game crash multiple times, and even lost my campaign progress 3 times.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I'm on PS4 and it has been fine for a few weeks now. Only problems I had were on launch week and losing save progress on launch week.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colourful_hippie

Uh oh, at this rate EA is going to have to give twofree pistols

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's such a bummer that game is broken. It's amazing when it works right. And the world state sync thing was funny at first (at first). Running the PC version and a lot of my friends have just moved on by now.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Is this related to that string of DDoS attacks or is this just Battlefield being Battlefield?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

it's still a $59.99 beta. It's cool that they let people try it out early, but I don't think it should cost 59.99 to be a part of this process. The game is a lot of fun but I advise everyone to wait for the actual release if you haven't already promoted this kind of bad behavior yet.

Buy Premium to get all the best content.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

So the power of Levolution was too powerful for the power of the cloud?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@colourful_hippie: I am still waiting for Triple XP.

Fuck that. Where's my EA gun camo?I need to pwn nubs with da power of dick publishers.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rangers517

@kaos_cracker said:

I'm on PS4 and it has been fine for a few weeks now. Only problems I had were on launch week and losing save progress on launch week.

yeah, this has been the general consensus I've seen that the PS4 version is now pretty much fine. I'm sure there are still a few bugs but it's come a long way since early access launch.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@banefirelord said:

Is this related to that string of DDoS attacks or is this just Battlefield being Battlefield?

Probably related, the canceled the double xp event because of it on PC.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yadilie said:

So the power of Levolution was too powerful for the power of the cloud?

More like the CoD killer tripped over it's own shoelaces. Levolution shoelaces.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's probably also due to XBL's problems. I can't even understand the gall of charging $60 for this shit show on any platform.

Professorreid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't into a multiplayer match either on the Xbox One.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odd...I haven't had any issues and I've been playing it all day on my Xbox One. Must be hit or miss.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, when they finally fix this game, I can't wait to get it. It was running fine on my friend's PS4 yesterday and was amazing. Such a shame this game has so many issues.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So last night I traded that fucker in for a pre-order of Titanfall. I sank about 260 hours in Battlefield 3 and would have been happy with 3.5 ... but that game was so much less. Even when it worked it sucked.

• The new progression system, forgettable maps
    • Too many different modes that fucked up the overall map design
    • DLC fucking everywhere since day one
    • XP events taking place during server downtime
    • A "free" scope as an apology... for the second or third last handgun you unlock
    • Weapon and equipment mixed up between classes removing their individuality
    • "Leveloution" shit that not only broke the game but map most maps WORSE after it was trigger
    • BUGS BUGS BUGS --- one hit kills, bad netcode, 'death trading'
    • People from Europe joining my region's servers causing huge lag
    • Terrible single-player (but then again I didn't expect any better).

I consider Battlefield 3 one of my all-time favourite games. But I'm done with this series now.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OGinOR
    TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrafalgarLaw
    @oginor said:

@trafalgarlaw: XBL's problems? What problems are those exactly?

The new party & tunneling/netcode system they're using on XB1, no one is content with it and Microsoft woved to change it through updates in 2014.

OGinOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: I'm familiar with the party stuff, but this is the first I've heard of other issues...link? I haven't had any issues...

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By theanticitizen

@banefirelord: in this case it's just Battlefield being Battlefield. Wanted to play online over New Years but I couldn't. But everything else worked on my Xbone

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess they decided to switch it up since they brought down PSN for awhile yesterday

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix: That's being saved for the BF 5 launch apology

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

I have been playing it on PS3, but stopped a couple of days ago when all of my progression other than my level got reset.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By thebunnyhunter

Weird, the EA servers appear to be down. Went to play on PS4 and it gave me "Could not connect to Servers"

Went to play Need for Speed Rivals and it gave me the same message

omatictoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There definitely appears to be some sort of issue going on with the EA servers. My Origin client (PC) takes about 3 minutes to pop up the login menu. Once I'm able to login, it forces the client into "Offline" only mode. Without the ability to go Online. Which means no BF4 multiplayer.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By big_jon

Seems like it's all still down, I can't even get onto battlelog.

@pandabear: So you're trading in a game with online issues from EA for another game that is online only and is also from EA, seem legit.

You're sure showing them.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_jon said:

@pandabear: So you're trading in a game with online issues from EA for another game that is online only and is also from EA, seem legit.

Ignorance is bliss.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dezztroy said:

@big_jon said:

Ignorance is bliss.

I didn't saying anything bad about EA or that I was seeking revenge. I don't care who publishes the game, that game was fundamentally broken because it was rushed out the door to compete with Call of Duty. I have much more faith in Respawn and Titanfall.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Seppli

@pandabear:

• What's wrong with the progression system? It's no different than BF3, just presented differently. You are aware of weapon-specific Battlepacks?
    • What's wrong with the maps? They sure are fine for Conquest 64, which is the main show. Same for Rush, the second most popular mode, it's just some maptiers aren't made for sackless girls. There's probably 3 questionable maptiers at most overall. Way below average. Most BF games have had much worse maps. Maps are crazy good for Obliteration, since it's less dependent on mapdesign, and more on creative teamplay. I think it's just some lazy opinion picked up from people like Arthur Giess, and subjective at best.
    • DLC is everywhere? There's only meaningful DLC for Battlefield games, with plenty of maps and weapons and vehicles and assignments and more. More content is what I want. As a Battlefield player, the Premium program is perfect. There's no other way I'll end up with this much multiplayer content for BF4. Premium is an offer made for me and millions of other players like me, who want all the Battlefield they can get. You get more than double the multiplayer content of the base game with Premium. Nothing wrong with that!
    • XP events? Who cares? You just level faster. I've been at level cap since forever. Since like 200 hours in. And there's been XP events out the wazoo. They're on all the time, it feels like.
    • Sure, the apology was crap. Most just apologize though, without giving out some virtual toy to play with. Why hold a half-assed gesture against them, if most would only pay mouth service anyways?
    • Giving Carbines, DMRs, Shotguns to all kits made the gameplay more rich, not poorer. Finally I can run a Spec-ops-style loadout again.
    • Levolution is awesome. The best ones like Paracel Storm and Siege of Shanghai? Pure bliss. Worse how?
    • Bugs, bugs, bugs - are here to be crushed. As far as the PS4 version goes, DICE is definitely getting there. It's almost perfect now. Plays like a dream. Some netcode stuff can feel off at times, but why shouldn't it, given the amounts of stuff getting synchronized? BF4 multiplayer maps are more dynamic than 99% of any games out there, every detail of which has to be synchronized with 63 other players and the server. Add to that the vehicles and what have you. If you think about it, it's amazing that it even works at all. Most of the time it feels really good too, better than most offline shooters feel.
    • Serverside lag has been standard for the launch window of any Battlefield game in the last decade. It's a matter of volume of traffic, and less of who's playing with you on your server. It dissipates sooner or later, on PS4 I no longer experience any serverside lag in Conquest 64, the mode most prone for such a thing. All the other modes were fine the entire time for me.
    • The single player gets a bad rep. As far as shooting galleries go, I've played worse. And some levels are rather awesome, like the Malaysia level. Not that singleplayer is something I want out of Battlefield (unless it's in the vein of BF:BC 1). I'd rather had DICE expand on concepts like its Onslaught coop as seen in BF:BC 2.

Overall, I feel like you're wrong on so many levels. I think anger clouds your judgement. BF4 is a fine specimen, and most of its technical woes are over now. In fact, I think it's the best Battlefield game yet. No reservations. It's everything BF3 could have been, thanks to more thoughtful design.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

720P error screens.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PandaBear

@seppli said:

@pandabear:

• What's wrong with the progression system? It's no different than BF3, just presented differently. You are aware of weapon-specific Battlepacks?
      It's the fact that you have to use certain types of weapons to unlock new ones. So take hand guns for example, I have to slog through a bunch I don't want to use to get the one I do. I'm just not going to bother. It's the same with every weapon group. It was better when you kept unlocking guns as a reward for using a class and unlocking pistols and PDWs that could be used by any class as you levelled up in general. It puts me off using ANYTHING but one gun type. I mean I know the carbine I want (A-91) so why would I use ANY other gun group but carbines? You could play as an engineer for 1000 hours and never unlock all of that class's guns.
    • What's wrong with the maps? They sure are fine for Conquest 64, which is the main show. Same for Rush, the second most popular mode, it's just some maptiers aren't made for sackless girls. There's probably 3 questionable maptiers at most overall. Way below average. Most BF games have had much worse maps. Maps are crazy good for Obliteration, since it's less dependent on mapdesign, and more on creative teamplay. I think it's just some lazy opinion picked up from people like Arthur Giess, and subjective at best.
      Sackless girls? Real nice. Lazy opinion? What's with the personal attacks? I'm not alone in this, there's a few threads about it in Battlelog. I really only like TDM, Conquest and Rush... so if there's a few maps for the other modes so be it, I don't care about that. But it's the lack of verticality and smaller skirmish areas in the big maps. The railway one has the train and... what exactly? A big open factory thing? A farm house? Caspian Border was smaller but felt more alone IMHO. The battles in forest between the petrol station and the forest or hill flag were great... It felt like the BIG BF3 maps had more cool small areas. Dawnbreaker is cool... I like a few others too. But the majority of the maps feel either too similar to old maps or lacking personality.
    • DLC is everywhere? There's only meaningful DLC for Battlefield games, with plenty of maps and weapons and vehicles and assignments and more. More content is what I want. As a Battlefield player, the Premium program is perfect. There's no other way I'll end up with this much multiplayer content for BF4. Premium is an offer made for me and millions of other players like me, who want all the Battlefield they can get. You get more than double the multiplayer content of the base game with Premium. Nothing wrong with that!
      When did I say I was against Premium? I bought premium for Battlefield 3! I nearlt bought BF4 premium the same day I got the game, but figured I should play it first. Aside for the crippling bugs (levelolution locking up maps, the fact that game could not even launch reliably without crash to the home screen, etc) I was constantly matched with servers filled with up to six or seven maps I did't have. BF4 was a week old on Xbox One when I got it and I couldn't play it without buying more content. So I filtered out those servers... but I guess my main problem is that people moved on from the default maps before they were even wore in. BF3 felt like it had a natural progression where I looked forward to new maps, with BF4 from day one I was left behind and I wasn't willing to spent an extra $40 to get two map packs for a game I was only just discovering.
    • XP events? Who cares? You just level faster. I've been at level cap since forever. Since like 200 hours in. And there's been XP events out the wazoo. They're on all the time, it feels like.
      The level system is bad. Remember in BF3 when a level 100 Colonel was a sign of something? Now a max level player is nothing. They could have 100 hours to 500 hours. The max was set so low so they could unlock higher levels later on. Yay. Maybe I can unlock more gun skins too. Double yay.
    • Sure, the apology was crap. Most just apologize though, without giving out some virtual toy to play with. Why hold a half-assed gesture against them, if most would only pay mouth service anyways?
      I'm not holding it against them. I'm just saying it was a bad apology. Just give everyone the pistol and the scope. I mean why not? Like you said it's a virtual toy... give it to everyone.
    • Giving Carbines, DMRs, Shotguns to all kits made the gameplay more rich, not poorer. Finally I can run a Spec-ops-style loadout again.
      Shotguns were always everyones (BF3 at least), so you could always run with that. Every class has a gun capable of close range and long rang combat ... Carbines for Engineers, machine guns for Support, assault rifles for Assault, DMRs and sniper rifles for Recon. PDWs were at their best in close range combat particularly on TDM, and though they had big drawbacks they could also be awesome with the right attachments. Now the Engineers have a gun that lacks any serious range and the weapons that defined their class are gone. I mean if this happened to carbines why not assault rifles?
    • Levolution is awesome. The best ones like Paracel Storm and Siege of Shanghai? Pure bliss. Worse how?
      The tower in Siege of Shanghai is great. It gives the maps a contested control point thats a thousand times more interesting than any of the others. None of the leveloution events look very good anyway. The dam? Those big chunks of concrete bounce like they're made of foam. There's no weight to anything. Even the tower falls like a big Lego building and the ruins look like something from Quake -- just big shapes with flat textures. Every levelution (I can't spell that thing right twice in a row) flattens the map in some way. And flat maps suck IMHO.
    • Bugs, bugs, bugs - are here to be crushed. As far as the PS4 version goes, DICE is definitely getting there. It's almost perfect now. Plays like a dream. Some netcode stuff can feel off at times, but why shouldn't it, given the amounts of stuff getting synchronized? BF4 multiplayer maps are more dynamic than 99% of any games out there, every detail of which has to be synchronized with 63 other players and the server. Add to that the vehicles and what have you. If you think about it, it's amazing that it even works at all. Most of the time it feels really good too, better than most offline shooters feel.
      It shouldn't be "amazing that it works at all". If a game can't work, don't release it. BF3 was great... that game had some bugs but THAT was amazing. I never had any major issues. Even just this week EA issued put a big read "SERVERS AREN'T WORKING" label on the Battlelog forums. On Xbox One the game LITERALLY could not launch every three or four times you tried. You had to TURN THE CONSOLE OFF to make it work. There's bigger games with bigger player counts out there. BF4 is not unique in this respect. I paid my $99.95 for this game, it should work. I can forgive some bugs, but I know I'm not alone in thinking it was just too broken to be released.
    • Serverside lag has been standard for the launch window of any Battlefield game in the last decade. It's a matter of volume of traffic, and less of who's playing with you on your server. It dissipates sooner or later, on PS4 I no longer experience any serverside lag in Conquest 64, the mode most prone for such a thing. All the other modes were fine the entire time for me.
      I get that serverside lag is to be expected. The last time I played was early January and it was STILL lagging like crazy. This is the same connection that played BF3 flawlessly so it's not an issue on my end. I can forgive this issue, but only for so long and not on top of everything else.
    • The single player gets a bad rep. As far as shooting galleries go, I've played worse. And some levels are rather awesome, like the Malaysia level. Not that singleplayer is something I want out of Battlefield (unless it's in the vein of BF:BC 1). I'd rather had DICE expand on concepts like its Onslaught coop as seen in BF:BC 2.
      "She's not coming on this mission" "You got a problem with me talk to the colonel!" "She's a risk and a liablity!" ... ugh ... the writing is shit. Beyond shit. And why is the player character silent AGAIN? Seriously, people don't care if your character talks... look at BioShock Infinite. I'm over being the silent dude who REFUSES to talk when spoken to. It's not THE WORST game for sure, and there's some cool moments. But the open sections feel like a shooting gallery and the closed sections feel arbitrarily constrained. I can blow up walls and destroy all kinds of shit but have to sit and kill 1000 dudes still while my buddy picks the lock OF A GLASS DOOR!?!? Look, it's not the worst... but I'll never know how it ends because the fucking game lost my progress THREE times. TWICE AFTER they said single-player progress bugs were fixed.

Overall, I feel like you're wrong on so many levels. I think anger clouds your judgement. BF4 is a fine specimen, and most of its technical woes are over now. In fact, I think it's the best Battlefield game yet. No reservations. It's everything BF3 could have been, thanks to more thoughtful design.

I answered in bold. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.