Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

So BF4 is showing off the advantages of running Win 8.1 vs 7

• 80 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

so theyre purposely making the new big games not run well on their older better OS so people will be forced into the new shit. sounds like exactly the kind of thing they would do after the xbox one stuff.

...no

ya and theres a job for it, theyre called 'schemers' and they usually get prety high up in the ranks. there are probly multiples of them involved in this.

A: You're a looney

B: Microsoft was not involved in the development of Battlefield 4

C: You're a looney

you dont think microsoft is reaching out to third parties and trying to get them to make decisions that would benefit the xbox one and their new operating system? you dont think the people who run EA are the same kinds of people who run microsoft, and are probably all friends?

i guess youre right, that would just be too kooky.

Great post you nailed it. Ya kook.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How CPU intensive is the game?

I have a GTX670 but I am currently still on a stock i5 2500k. Will I need to upgrade my CPU to run it mostly maxxed out? Or will I be fine?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

so theyre purposely making the new big games not run well on their older better OS so people will be forced into the new shit. sounds like exactly the kind of thing they would do after the xbox one stuff.

...no

ya and theres a job for it, theyre called 'schemers' and they usually get prety high up in the ranks. there are probly multiples of them involved in this.

you dont think microsoft is reaching out to third parties and trying to get them to make decisions that would benefit the xbox one and their new operating system? you dont think the people who run EA are the same kinds of people who run microsoft, and are probably all friends?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@huey2k2 said:

I have a GTX670 but I am currently still on a stock i5 2500k. Will I need to upgrade my CPU to run it mostly maxxed out? Or will I be fine?

BF4 only asks for a quad core i5 or i7. You'll be fine.

@tarsier said:

@artisanbreads said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

...no

No Caption Provided

Ok? You should take the tinfoil hat off, it's sitting too tight on your head.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Game runs on Windows 7 as well as it does on Windows 8 = "Geez, why even uprade to 8? Why even pay to uprade?"

Game runs on Windows 8 better than it runs on Windows 7 = "Wow, way to purposefully gimp 7 just so people have to buy Windows 8."

Microsoft cannot win.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huey2k2 said:

BF4 only asks for a quad core i5 or i7. You'll be fine.

@tarsier said:

@artisanbreads said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

@korwin said:

@tarsier said:

...no

No Caption Provided

Ok? You should take the tinfoil hat off, it's sitting too tight on your head.

actually we dont wear those any more because their technology is 30 years ahead and it goes right through

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That makes me want to get a Windows 8.1.
    Damn it, I'm not installing all of my programs and games all over again.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

Occam's Razor.

1. The entire board of directors within Microsoft are aligned with EA's management and have concocted an under the table agreement to prevent future games working well on Windows 7. EA forces DICE to make BF4 to only work well on Windows 8 in such a way that a third party cannot check the game's code for evidence of tampering Windows 7 performance. Microsoft also strikes the same deal with almost every other major game development studios so that this "coincidence" of Windows 8 performing better does not seem abnormal compared to all the other games coming out on PC too. All the while Microsoft's management, game publishers, and every development studio finds a way to keep this scandalous secret under wraps, as one person with easily obtainable proof of Windows 7 performance tampering can break this nefarious deal completely open.

Or...

2. Microsoft made an OS that allows programs to run more efficiently and developers like DICE are starting to utilize it's benefits.

The bosses of MS and EA are likely really good friends though, so the first option is probably the most likely.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leych said:

That makes me want to get a Windows 8.1.

Damn it, I'm not installing all of my programs and games all over again.

If you are upgrading from 7 you can install Windows 8 without losing any of your files or programs.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

actually we dont wear those any more because their technology is 30 years ahead and it goes right through

Seal yourself in a lead box and never come out.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

Seal yourself in a lead box and never come out.

their technology goes thru that as well.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see your link to a Polish website and counter it with a link to a German website!

Article seems to apply to the Beta of BF4, but the Polish comparison also seems to be based on the beta.
    The interesting stuff: It looks like there is a bug that makes Intel CPU's with SMT/HT perform worse, than CPU's without SMT/HT.
    A i5-2500k outperforms a i7-2600k, at least until they disable SMT/HT features in the BIOS, at that point the i7-2600k finally starts outperforming the i5-2500k. So SMT/HT actually made performance worse and surprisingly all this only happens running on Windows 7 but not Windows 8.

That smells like shitty optimization, couple that with the crashy state of the game, it is most probably shitty optimization. Until there is solid evidence across the board, with multiple games, engines and configurations, where Windows 8 outperforms Windows 7, i consider this stuff anecdotal evidence at best. And anecdotal evidence won't convince me to change yet again to another OS iteration that requires re-learning the OS once again and hampers my workflow. I already get annoyed like crazy to get Win7 in a workable state, Quicklaunch menu removed, have to add it by hand every time. Basic functionality that had it's place for decades, simply switched to another place so "new users" have an easier time finding it, while driving experienced users crazy when they have to force themselves to forget decades old habits, i won't add the additional worksteps of having to fumble the basic functionality like a Startmenu back into an OS.

This is the same clusterfuck like Vista, you don't change a running and working system/UI just for the sake of change. You don't force having to "relearn" a OS onto your customer base every couple of years, that's simply bad usability practice. People stick to Windows because they know how to handle it, changing the way it's handling every couple of years only undermines that and i won't support such practices.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By korwin

@nethlem: It would be bad optimization on Microsofts end in this case in the Win 7 department. Windows 8 has some fairly significant changes to multi-core support.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By EXTomar

This is actually typical behavior from Microsoft where the latest OS gets new features that are never back ported into the older but still active ones. There are features in Direct X 11.2 that will never be fully completely implemented in DX 11.0 which is in Win 7. All they would need to do is use something one of those features and Win 7 has to "fallback" and take a performance hit while Win 8 runs nominally.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't like the layout. I don't like the look of it. The candy colors make me want to gag. Ads. It's my personal preference. I also don't like the idea of having the same OS for everything. I am a fan of diversity and Windows 8, to me, is the killer of diversity. I like that different platforms are different. A future of everything being the same on all windows devices sounds boring. Everything is already easy enough.

People are allowed to dislike stuff. Not everyone needs to like 8. I personally want Microsoft to go in a different direction.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Win 8.1 is ok. Then again, I have Chrome and games installed on my desktop. I might as well run SteamOS or something.

mewarmo990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a pretty impressive difference.

Sadly the compatibility issues that arise when running the work programs I need under Win8 prevent me from switching over, for now.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Well if DX 11.1 remains (and I know it will do) locked to Windows 7 and continues to show this sort of performance boost than I will switch... the only reason I haven't upgraded yet isn't because I hate Windows 8 but because I don't want to spend money until I have to.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windows 8 being a faster OS isn't news. It has always been known for it's under-the-hood improvements.

The reason myself and others haven't "upgraded" is because of the forced and shitty "touch first" Metro interface. < Of which MS has been slowly backtracking from, as per current company policy.

The adoption rate is way down from the W7 adoption rate and they even count W8 sales, from the tablet and mobile market. They can't afford to be as stubborn for W9 because they don't want to lose market share. Plus the guy who pushed W8 to be a "Touch first" OS left the company a few weeks after launch. Coincidence, obviously.

I'm glad people have gotten used to the changes, or more accurately, installed a 3rd party application to restore a form of the Start menu. (that never needed replacing)

I'm perfectly fine with W7 and don't really want to give MS money for terrible ideas.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Nethlem

@korwin:

Please read again...

The i5-2500k is slower and has less cache than the i7-2600k, there is no imaginable situation at all where the former should outperform the latter, regardless of any kind of multicore optimization, yet the i5-200k seems to outperform the i7-2600k under Win7 in BF4.

Any multicore optimization would only help the i7-2600k to increase it's performance lead over the i5-2500k. This has nothing to do with "Windows 8 being more awesome" but all to do with the SMT/HT CPU's underperforming with Win7 in BF4 due to a bug somewhere. This also explains the massive performance increases that some places have observed with AMD CPU's, (Up to 50%) as those CPU's are even more heavily dependent on multithreading, but the majority of performance boost seems to boil down to a bug not applying under Win8 that's holding back performance under Win7. I don't know if the bug is on the side of DICE or Microsoft, but considering that i haven't heard of this happening to any other game, my money would be on DICE having fucked up something somewhere.

Yes there are performance increases with Win 8.1 and multuthreading, but those go more along the lines of 10% (a way more reasonable number) and not the insane 50% increase numbers some places are throwing around.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By Xeiphyer

Anyone still hating randomly on Windows 8, chill Winston.

It's pretty great, runs much faster and is generally a nicer experience. There are a few weird annoying things but in general you can avoid the entire Windows 8 experience and just reap the benefits while still using it exactly like windows 7.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting to see some numbers here - the only reason I haven't gone to 8 yet is that i've had no real justification for spending the money. Once I upgrade my video card, I will probably think about making the jump.

GreigWatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn due to booze, a full SSD and this forum thread. I'm downloading Win 8.1. Bought it for my family, they never used the code, so worth giving it a blast.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

In early 2012 Microsoft detailed a scheduling inefficiency for AMD CPUs after Bulldozer. They provided a hot fix but promised to fully address the issue in Windows 8. That's most likely what we are seeing here. Notice they did not show Intel results, which do not have the scheduling issue. Strangely, the original article linked in the OP does not say what service pack of Windows 7 they are using or if they applied the hot fix.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

took the plunge last night and installed 8.1 and activated, just downloaded bf4 will post back with my results, later tonight. was running an AMD phenom II 965 BE at 3.4ghz, 12 GB DDR3, and 2 HD7770's in crossfire on win 7 64 bit. was able to get about mid 20s to low 40s fps on high in 64 player Conquest large server. Will see if that number improves with 8.1 pro 64-bit that i just installed this morning. gonna try that current catalyst 13.9 driver and then move into the latest catalyst 13.11 beta driver to test. At work now so all i can do is plot.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jayjonesjunior

As in every game.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By OldManLight

*update* just played 2, 64 player conquest large games with high settings at 1920x1080 with my hardware above and my framerate is at least 10-20 fps better, less dips more consistent rate, was right around 60 most of the time. I'm a believer, i hate the metro stuff but proof is in the pudding for me, bf4 runs way better on 8.1 than 7 64 bit.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By slyspider

4 sec boot up time + this? Win 8 was a good buy!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.