Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Tax for Digital Download?

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As I went through the process on Origin to purchase a digital copy of Battlefield 4, I noticed that a sales tax was slapped on to the final price. This is my first purchase through Origins, but it's still curious to me: how or why is there a tax on a digital product when other services (i.e. Steam) do not apply tax to the final price?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

You could always buy it through amazon. They don't put tax on digital purchases.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@ghost_cat: How about we don't bring attention to the matter and continue not buying games from Origin. win win in my book

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Steam does apply taxes to my purchases as well as Origin of course.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I've paid tax on all my PSN purchases except for a weird 6 month stretch last year when there wasn't tax applied.

You should pay tax anyway. It's the cost of living in the free world, where we have the benefit of non corrupt police, doctors*, schools, roads, etc. *Not applicable everywhere in the free world.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got nothing against taxes or Origin (except that it's a hassle having to use another service other than Steam), but Steam never charges tax on any of my purchases, so I thought it was kind of odd. Amazon, of course, does not either (so far).

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Depends on your state laws and where you live. Like if you live Washington then you'll be charged tax because Valve's located there.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_cat

@mannymar: Oooooooh! I forgot that an EA studio exist in Austin, Texas (I live in Dallas). This all makes sense now, derp.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it depends where you live. Amazon only charges tax if they have a physical presence in your state (call center, warehouse, etc..).

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends what state you're in. In VA they don't charge sales tax on digital purchases. (I'm sure that will change with lobbying)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ch3burashka

As I went through the process on Origin to purchase a digital copy of Battlefield 4, I noticed that a sales tax was slapped on to the final price. This is my first purchase through Origins, but it's still curious to me: how or why is there a tax on a digital product when other services (i.e. Steam) do not apply tax to the final price?

Steam taxes me (I'm in WA). It depends on state tax laws.

This is somewhat tangential, but here's a good example of tax "loopholes" - http://taxfoundation.org/article/quick-tax-quiz-when-candy-bar-not-candy-bar-4

So while you and I might call Kit Kat's and Milky Way's candy, they are not technically candy by law. The point is, I guess, depending on the wording (and how much you pay your lawyers and lobbyists) you can either charge tax or not. Amazon has been avoiding taxes like the plague since forever.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jdh5153

I get charged tax on Steam all the time, in PA and Idaho.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.