Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield 4

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

DICE's popular multiplayer-focused shooter series continues, making its debut appearance on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Unlock system for attachments is goddamn terrible

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Seriously, there is like 600 attachments in the game that are battlepack exclusive. You get a 3 item battlepack every 2 levels and a 5 item battlepack every 10 levels. About half those items will be stupid skins, xp boosts and that kind of crap so the chance you'll get the attachment you want is close to 0. This is straight up EA greedy bullshit and the worst part is that it's probably going make them a shiton of money.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Welcome to the future of video games! Ain't it great? This coming gen is going to be the nickel and dime era. Everything is being designed from the ground up to include micro transactions.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sterling

How will this make them money, when you can not buy battle packs? You can only unlock them by playing the game.

And actually, the specific weapon attachments are only in the weapon battle packs you get from using that weapon a lot. So, I don't understand the issue here.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pretty sure they aren't directly selling battlepacks (at least not yet).

Most of the stuff in the battlepacks is just a variation of something you already get by unlocking normally, does it really matter if you have a normal red dot sight from getting kills or a coyote red dot sight from a battlepack?

However I haven't played too much so I could be wrong about some of the attachments being variations, that's just what they look like from viewing them in battlelog, not first-hand experience.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually finding the unlocks in BF4 pretty fun. It's different, at least, and I'm constantly unlocking something, which keeps it fresh.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fine. You get enough stuff through normal weapon usage, and in fact get EVERYTHING for the gun as long as you keep using it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if you can't buy battlepacks why the hell did they implement a mass effect style loot lottery system? And why do you get a very limited number of items in a slow ass level progression? I'm guessing they're easing us into this so they can start charging for it later or in battlefield 5.

InGameLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can still unlock stuff from using a gun, using a vehicle, playing the class, fulfilling assignments, etc, just like in BF3. The battlepacks are just a bonus and mostly cosmetic.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

It's not that bad, I had everything unlocked for the saw at 500 kills, and most of the stuff that you get later is just a cosmetic difference from another equivalent upgrade.

I really actually quite love the upgrade system, I was trying yo find a way to make the Scar H an effective weapon for me as it was my go to engineer weapon in Battlefield 3. After screwing around with the thing for an entire service yag and almost giving up i finally took off the heavy barrel and replaced the vertical forgrip with the angled grip for bringing down the initial recoil 33% and bam! Night and day difference for me!

The unlocks just add so much depth to the weapon balance and being able to tailor a weapon to your effectiveness/taste/playstyle is a hugely powerful weapon in itself.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GreggD

@big_jon: I've spent a long time with the SCAR-H, as well. Haven't gotten everything yet, but it really is an amazing gun. Switching to single-shot fire basically makes it a lower-strength DMR, but it can get headshots like nothing.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Battlepacks aren't exclusive to specific levels. Each gun has 4 Battlepacks that unlock after you've gotten the other attachments (which takes 160 kills with the gun I believe) and each of these Battlepacks give you 3 attachments. It's really not a bad system.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How the hell do you do the battlepacks? I haven't even seen any yet? Is it automatic or do you have to go into the menu to do it?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battlepacks aren't exclusive to specific levels. Each gun has 4 Battlepacks that unlock after you've gotten the other attachments (which takes 160 kills with the gun I believe) and each of these Battlepacks give you 3 attachments. It's really not a bad system.

And usually at least one XP booster.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and cosmetic

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By spraynardtatum

@goranp: That sounds fine to me. I'm not a huge fan of the lottery stuff but at least it isn't pay to win.

I'll have to look in the pause menu because battlelog is a terrifying freeze fest on PS4 in my experience. Thanks for the info!

Can you buy them though? I'd kind of hope not.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sterling

@spraynardtatum said:

@goranp: That sounds fine to me. I'm not a huge fan of the lottery stuff but at least it isn't pay to win.

I'll have to look in the pause menu because battlelog is a terrifying freeze fest on PS4 in my experience. Thanks for the info!

No, you can not buy them. And to open them you have to be on the main menu and then go into Player Progression > Battle packs. Or you can open them from battle log on PC.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@spraynardtatum said:

No, you can not buy them. And to open them you have to be on the main menu and then go into Player Progression > Battle packs. Or you can open them from battle log on PC.

You can open them from the 'pause' menu on PC. Y'know, hitting escape for options, etc. I would hope it's also a part of the console UI.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sterling

@greggd said:

@sterling said:

@spraynardtatum said:

You can open them from the 'pause' menu on PC. Y'know, hitting escape for options, etc. I would hope it's also a part of the console UI.

I don't remember seeing it on PS3, and haven't played any games on PS4 yet. So it might be there. I just don't remember seeing it.

EDIT: You are correct. It is on the pause menu. I just never noticed it before.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

@greggd said:

@sterling said:

@spraynardtatum said:

I don't remember seeing it on PS3, and haven't played any games on PS4 yet. So it might be there. I just don't remember seeing it.

EDIT: You are correct. It is on the pause menu. I just never noticed it before.

lol, yeah it took me a while to realize it was there. It was a nice little touch for convenience on DICE's part.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite like the way it works. It inspires me to try new set ups and therefore new game play styles. I had a blast sniping with a silencer even though my bullet path looked like a limp dong.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax: kind of a late response but I wanted to ask about the battle pack system for weapons. So far my favorite gun is the M416. I've easily used it the most and right now the only items I don't have unlocked are the battle pack ones. So if I keep using it do I get a battle pack that holds 4 random items for that gun in there?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Yeah. I think it might be three attachments and an XP booster (or just four attachments, I don't remember). I'm not sure how many kills you need for each one though. I think after you get all of the attachments you get a battlepack every 50 kills or so. Some of those battlepack attachments could also come from the ones that you get from leveling up, too.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really beginning to dislike the grindy nature of more recent games. I know it adds to the lifespan since a lot of people will want to grind it out for completions sake, but it just makes the game become more of a chore than a game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax: ok cool. I'm fine with that, for a second I did think that these packs were locked behind a pay wall or hidden within the ones you get every few levels. I'm very relieved that's not the case because that would be just disgusting.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

@pyrodactyl said:

Seriously, there is like 600 attachments in the game that are battlepack exclusive. You get a 3 item battlepack every 2 levels and a 5 item battlepack every 10 levels. About half those items will be stupid skins, xp boosts and that kind of crap so the chance you'll get the attachment you want is close to 0. This is straight up EA greedy bullshit and the worst part is that it's probably going make them a shiton of money.

• Most of the Battlepack attachments are stats-duplicates of regular unlocks, just visually different.
    • Once you use a weapon for long enough, you'll start earning weapon-specific Battlepacks every 50 or so kills, where-in all attachments are specific to that weapon. Usually 3 attachments for that weapon and a paint unlock or XP boost or Battlelog emblem. It takes around 500 kills to unlock everything for a gun - just like BF3.

For me, who plays a lot of BF4, the Battlepack system has not been an issue at all. Rewards come constantly at a good feeling pace, and anything I really want, I'm certain to earn within a reasonable timeframe. It seems to me you're just not seeing the whole picture yet, as in not being aware of weapon specific Battlepacks. It's not any worse than BF3 was in terms of weapon unlocks.

As a player who likes to fully explore each and every weapon (eventually), it's a pretty neat way to pace the experience. If you always want to be peak competitive, it's really not that much to unlock - if you stick just to a handful of weapons like most players do. No harm, no foul I say. Those who play few weapons unlock everything they want quickly, and weapon fanatics get a neat leveling curve for every gun.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Sackmanjones

@seppli: is there anyway to check out the assignment unlocks? I unlocked a rifle by killing an enemy with an assault rifle, lmg, sniper and grenade because I saw that assignment on the summary page after the last game I played. I however couldn't find like an overal page for all those unlocks, maybe I just didn't look in the right place or something?

Anyway I'm glad you reassured me on the specific weapon battle packs. I stopped using some guns just because I thought I couldn't unlock those last attachments but I will be using them again.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@seppli said:

@pyrodactyl said:

• Most of the Battlepack attachments are stats-duplicates of regular unlocks, just visually different.
    • Once you use a weapon for long enough, you'll start earning weapon-specific Battlepacks every 50 or so kills, where-in all attachments are specific to that weapon. Usually 3 attachments for that weapon and a paint unlock or XP boost or Battlelog emblem. It takes around 500 kills to unlock everything for a gun - just like BF3.

For me, who plays a lot of BF4, the Battlepack system has not been an issue at all. Rewards come constantly at a good feeling pace, and anything I really want, I'm certain to earn within a reasonable timeframe. It seems to me you're just not seeing the whole picture yet, as in not being aware of weapon specific Battlepacks. It's not any worse than BF3 was in terms of weapon unlocks.

As a player who likes to fully explore each and every weapon (eventually), it's a pretty neat way to pace the experience. If you always want to be peak competitive, it's really not that much to unlock - if you stick just to a handful of weapons like most players do. No harm, no foul I say. Those who play few weapons unlock everything they want quickly, and weapon fanatics get a neat leveling curve for every gun.

Yep. The system works fine. i use a gun until the next one unlocks until i have all of the ones of a certain type. Then the ones i like best i go back to and get all the unlocks. The battlepacks are just little milestones in your progression.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@seppli: is there anyway to check out the assignment unlocks? I unlocked a rifle by killing an enemy with an assault rifle, lmg, sniper and grenade because I saw that assignment on the summary page after the last game I played. I however couldn't find like an overal page for all those unlocks, maybe I just didn't look in the right place or something?

Anyway I'm glad you reassured me on the specific weapon battle packs. I stopped using some guns just because I thought I couldn't unlock those last attachments but I will be using them again.

Battlelog son. Seriously even for the consoles there is a stupid amount of tie in features to the game. You can change loadouts, join servers and do all that other non-sense. Way easier than trying to get at that stuff in-game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

@sackmanjones said:

In-game only from the options, and not during a game. Under *My Soldier* ---> *Awards* ---> *Assignments/DLC Assignments*. The last step you'll have to get to with L1/R1. That's on PS4. On PC it's somewhere buried in the Battlelog. I guess you could run Battlelog on your PS4/Xbox One web brower and tab into it, just like on PC. Didn't try that yet.

I'm a bit disappointed that I can't fire up Battlelog directly from the game on PS4. Inherent full battlelog functionality on new gen consoles would have been neat. I did check the changelog for the patch via PS4 webbrowser once, it would just have been nice if logging into the Battlelog website was an automatic thing on startup of the game.

I'll never understand why the new gen gamepads don't come with a cheap-ass black and white QWERTY-style typing enabling touchscreen.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something I noticed about the Battlepacks... Once you get to Rank 40, every two levels is a Gold Battlepack from then on. I would've been pissed if it was still Bronzes every 2 levels.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shatteringlast: I noticed that too when I hit 40. Ironically, the gold pack I got for 42 was probably the most useless one I've ever gotten. Oh well.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The system is fine and it adds a unique twist on rewarding players. I've found myself trying a variety of weapons because I've gotten some unlocks from battlepacks. But as soon as they start charging money for them, it will immediately be villified by everyone. I think EA knows that if they ever monatize battlepacks, they'll alienate the fragile playerbase even further.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate... HAAATE that emblems are considered rare or uncommon or whatever the hell they call it. I give NO shits about emblems.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It's like a little bonus really... but I see your point. There's too much junk in the game and too many menus. It's cluttered to hell and trying to quickly switch gadget/guns is impossible -- why can't I change my rocket launcher type for an engineer on the respawn screen for example... you have to go a few menus deep with loading in between.

Also carbines for all but PDWs for engineers only? Seriously, how the fuck did that make it into the game?

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mcfart

@pandabear said:

It's like a little bonus really... but I see your point. There's too much junk in the game and too many menus. It's cluttered to hell and trying to quickly switch gadget/guns is impossible -- why can't I change my rocket launcher type for an engineer on the respawn screen for example... you have to go a few menus deep with loading in between.

Also carbines for all but PDWs for engineers only? Seriously, how the fuck did that make it into the game?

Apparently Tank Drivers in real life have PDWS...to defend their tanks. Maybe EA was trying to be authentic?

But yeah, Carbines are pretty much Assault Rifles for everyone. Can't see most people using a PDW over a Carbine.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@mcfart said:

@pandabear said:

Apparently Tank Drivers in real life have PDWS...to defend their tanks. Maybe EA was trying to be authentic?

But yeah, Carbines are pretty much Assault Rifles for everyone. Can't see most people using a PDW over a Carbine.

PDWs were the go-to weapon for tight maps. An MP7 or M5K was great for any class in BF3 on Team Deathmatch ... but carbines feel to specialised too be a general use weapon... they don't have enough drawbacks like a PDW does. I didn't know that about tank drivers, so I guess it makes it "authentic" but I'd rather fun/balance over realism. Still, that's the least of the games issues right now haha

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.