Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

A bleed out feature. Your thoughts?

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RoyCampbell

Hey! 

...so. A bleed out feature. I'll elaborate.

You know when an enemy kills you and you're taken to a spectator mode of your killer with what's going on in their kit and their current health? Far too many a time I've noticed their health being at around 5%. (don't even get me started on a rant about explosive splash damage on an enemy and getting an 'x' and they run off or kill me just fine when in reality they should be crawling on the ground with no legs... give or take.)

So. Personally, I'm of the opinion that at around 5% give or take (there's that phrase again), there should be a type of bleed out of sorts, or limping. Something! Seeing such a small, precise percentage is comical in a way. Frustrating, maybe. Seeing such a specific number with no drawback or consequence is somewhat irritating.

Further, if you're bleeding out, you would need the assistance of a medic or you'll die within the minute. I mean, this idea can't be accused of being overpowered; it's 5% (or any varying number below 10%). 

Sorry if this was a bit random. I've run into it a lot and to be genuinely honest, I feel my idea ain't bad

Whatever, though. Still a fun game and I'm so glad Dice and EA got their asses in check regarding the problems and connectivity issues that plagued the game about 2 months ago. Got rid of it late May because of the issues and then I heard that the problems were addressed. All in all, hey. It's a good game. I just felt like rattling on and seeing if there were any other like-minded users that had similar thoughts cross their mind regarding a bleed out feature.

Thanks for reading. Toodles.

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lmenzol

thats is a great idea about needing a medic after getting shot or you hp will gradually decrease like adding it to hardcore mode or something but the game is still great anyway. i just need some damn new maps

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @lmenzol:  Thanks!

Yeah, I'd totally dig a map pack containing the best maps from the first Bad Company. Oh Oasis, how I'd love to play you again on the much improved Bad Company 2.

On an unrelated note: I played the first Bad Company last week online. Had somewhat of a good time. I mean, the artillery is still as overpowered and annoying as I remembered it, and helicopters are an absolute horror to (try) take down. Oh and the total revelation and surprise I had when I realized that people still played it. I mean, yeah it is on the Games on Demand service. But still. The last time I had played it back in January, I could hardly find a game!

Now that I have Bad Company 2 back though, I think I won't be touching it for another few months.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

Snipers would be even more annoying. Everyone would have to play as a medic at all times.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

It's certainly an interesting idea.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @SpikeSpiegel:  'Ay, keep in mind that I did say around 5% and that is a rather hard number to hit being a sniper, regardless of rifle. So no. I do agree though about snipers. They're annoying already but this bleed out feature wouldn't make snipers any worse.

But last time I played, everyone was running around as medics in, usually groups of three, reviving one another if one goes down anyway.  

Remember, though. What I've put forth is an idea that can be subject to rapid change; that's why I made this topic! It ain't a half bad idea and I was curious what you guys could do with it. So no, if I had the choice to put my raw idea into the game as is, I wouldn't. It obviously would require refinements.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#7  Edited By wefwefasdf

It is an interesting idea. I think it would work better with a more realistic shooter then Bad Company 2. As much teamwork as BC2 sometimes has it isn't really necessary and no one really plays for the team most of the time.

Now, I think they had a similar system in America's Army when I used to play. That game was intense. :D

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sjupp
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " It is an interesting idea. I think it would work better with a more realistic shooter then Bad Company 2. "
    Here's to hoping for BF3
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @SpikeSpiegel said:

" It is an interesting idea. I think it would work better with a more realistic shooter then Bad Company 2. As much teamwork as BC2 sometimes has it isn't really necessary and no one really plays for the team most of the time.  Now, I think they had a similar system in America's Army when I used to play. That game was intense. :D "

Sure, sure. But that damn percentage that pops up telling me that the man that dealt me my death has 2% health remaining has to go. Actually, you know what! I'll put a sticky-note in place of it so I don't have to see it. Yeahhh. *off balanced laughter*

Regarding the "no one really plays for the team most of the time" comment: That's true to an extent. It is all situational. The other day when I hopped on I had a few games where my team did fuck all in regards to doing anything that had anything to do with teamwork. Then I had a few where I was being thrown ammo and health left and right and dudes covering me and myself doing the same for them.

In other news, I went off on another long tangent. Sorry about that. When the ideas start flowin', so does the keyboard. 

I'll check out this America's Army game. Do know that another popular game, Gears of War 2, had a bleed out feature and that was no where near realistic. lol.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Sjupp said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " It is an interesting idea. I think it would work better with a more realistic shooter then Bad Company 2. "
    Here's to hoping for BF3 "
    True that. A new release in the main Battlefield series running on the Frostbite engine would be amazing. *mouth waters*
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sjupp
    @RoyCampbell:  Well it's coming. All I hope is for some more gameplay closer to the old school Bf2 rather than BC2. Although I don't know if I want that out of nostalgia or not. I could really go for some more city oriented maps rather than those you have on BC2. I mean like several story buildings.
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Sjupp:  Mmm, yes. 

Only way I can relate in response to "I could really go for some more city oriented maps ... several story buildings" is myself sniping off of a gigantic crane -- easily over 10 stories high -- on Bad Company 1. It was sah-weet.

Yeah, lame I know. I haven't played BF2 in soooo long.
    sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sjupp
    @RoyCampbell:  Yeah I suppose.. 
    However, trying to imagine playing Strike At Karkand on BC2 makes me all fuzzy inside. BF3 cannot come soon enough.
    Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Spoonman671

Toodles?

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sjupp
    @Spoonman671: Oodles?
    RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RoyCampbell
    @Spoonman671:  Hey, that's MY endearing character trait, pal!
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Binman88

They should make it like RavenShield on the PC - one shot from almost any gun and you start limping at half speed, another shot will kill you.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Evilmetal

this features exists in the Project Reality mod for BF2, if I recall correctly. Project Reality is the superior mod, IMO, for BF2; overall there is extensive attention to detail by the Project Reality developers. They're not like DICE where they don't care to polish their games. DICE has gotten sloppy.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JP_Russell

Good idea for a game like ARMA or realism-focused mods like Project Reality.  Not a good idea for Battlefield.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

When your health is that low usually you can't hear anything on the battlefield and your screen is blurry and red. Then your health regenerates and you're fine again. That's just how modern games are these days unless you're playing ARMA

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Interesting idea. It certainly is annoying when I shoot a guy several times in the back and he somehow kills me, and when I get to the Killer screen I see that he has 1% health left. Doesn't make any sense.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Sounds good in theory, but will you still be able to finish dudes off while they're like that? If not, snipers will become ten times more of a hassle.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Donos

To be fair, theere's already a systems sommewhat like this in place. For me at least, sound is absolutely vital to success in BC2, so the near death muting effect is already a pretty big handicap, unless a medic comes along and heals me out of it quickly.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Jayross

5%-10% seems like a pretty good number... but my only issue is that sniping will be even more powerful, so some balance tweaks would be necessary. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Negative, I already own Arma II.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.