Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

EA will power-level your solider. Just give them your monies.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

Edited By Jayross

Hey there paying customer! Did you recently purchase Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Are you sick and tired of high level characters killing you with their M60s with 4x scopes?  

Suffer no more! Introducing "Kit-Shortcuts", and with a small price of $6.99 per-kit, or $19.99 for all kits and vehicles, we will give you all of the unlocks for that kit! That's right, give us $6.99 and you won't have to level up and unlock those weapons. 

I am glad EA is providing such a useful service for such a reasonable price. 

Don't believe me? Check the blog here.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jayross

Hey there paying customer! Did you recently purchase Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Are you sick and tired of high level characters killing you with their M60s with 4x scopes?  

Suffer no more! Introducing "Kit-Shortcuts", and with a small price of $6.99 per-kit, or $19.99 for all kits and vehicles, we will give you all of the unlocks for that kit! That's right, give us $6.99 and you won't have to level up and unlock those weapons. 

I am glad EA is providing such a useful service for such a reasonable price. 

Don't believe me? Check the blog here.

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Xakura

What the frak. 

Well, I guess it's no crime providing a service someone is willing to pay for, but man... 

EDIT: This surprises me, actually. There was some stirring around the first bad company's launch, because the limited edition featured unlocked guns. In other words, you paid for an advantage. So the limited edition for Bc2 cost as much as the regular, to avoid the same reaction again.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrKlorox

So it's not actually power-leveling then... it's power unlocking. /shrug

It's not like they're demanding money to make new unlocks available so people could play against others who cannot get them without paying.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jayross
    @MrKlorox: yeah, I guess leveling is a bit misleading.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

You're being sarcastic...right?  I can't wait until you can pay Blizzard $500 for an amazingly geared 80 with 1 million gold.   

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " You're being sarcastic...right?  I can't wait until you can pay Blizzard $500 for an amazingly geared 80 with 1 million gold.    "
    I do not think they are far from selling high level items. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayross
    @MAN_FLANNEL: yeah, of course, I don't want these type of micro-payments coming into BC2. (although with the spectat stuff, it seems a bit too late)
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrKlorox

I'm fine with it as long as they don't offer exclusive things for pay only. The SPECACT thing walks the line because it was just a texture change and doesn't offer any actual gameplay advantage above the standard gear like new kit items would (other than making the Russian Medic's hat stand out less against a snowy background -- which was a shitty design in the first place).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

Unlocks can all be done in very early levels and take next to no time compared to the amount you would need to spend progress past level 20.
    Why would you pay money for this stuff, ADD?

Why you would by the game $60 + $20 for unlocks and not even spend the tiny amount of time playing it that would get you those unlocks anyway...
    Kind of a waste imo.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Tennmuerti said:
    " Unlocks can all be done in very early levels and take next to no time compared to the amount you would need to spend progress past level 20. Why would you pay money for this stuff, ADD?  Why you would by the game $60 + $20 for unlocks and not even spend the tiny amount of time playing it that would get you those unlocks anyway... Kind of a waste imo. "
    Wonder if this counts for the achievement/trophy that is tied to getting all the unlocks. 
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Seppli

Dude - whoever ain't got the time to get to level 20 or so within his timebudget better have a big fat wallet. Why shouldn't such dudes pay for their unlocks? No biggy. 

Not that I would ever pay for such a thing. I spend what little money I got on games and expesive hookers and good food and booze and occasionally some Mary Jane. The 'effin good life.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Evilmetal

BC2, meet BF Heroes...

superbobafett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By superbobafett

This type of thing really doesn't bug me.  It takes away the grind for people who don't have time to grind.  Time is money.  It's not a big deal in the end, as the people who put in the time to play and level themself to 20 or w/e, will be better for it (skill-wise), so they'll still have the advantage on the people who just paid to get the cool guns instead of earning them.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By xMP44x

I don't have a problem with it. If it helps make Bad Company 2 more competitive online then it's a worthwhile price for some people who have difficulty using different classes. Then again I don't feel a need for it as it's not incredibly hard to unlock all the gear for each class. Just play the game a lot and it's all good. Or I see it that way, anyway.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Alexander

I don't see the problem as you're paying for the weapons, rather than the levelling and in any case, it's not that hard to get all the weapons in the first place.

TheSmilingDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSmilingDude

Perfectly sensible move. If you want to prevent stuff like this from happening, the only thing you can do is not buy it yourself while remembering that no drop of rain thinks it's responsible for the flood.

So, who wants to put down money that activision will use "paid unlocks" in the next COD/MW game?

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Nadafinga
    @Tennmuerti said:

"Why you would by the game $60 + $20 for unlocks and not even spend the tiny amount of time playing it that would get you those unlocks anyway... Kind of a waste imo. "

Quoted for truth. 

To be clear, it doesn't bother me that EA would offer this, it doesn't give anyone an unfair advantage. But unlocking stuff as you go is half the fun! Anyone who buys this is pretty stupid, like others have said, it takes very little time to unlock most of the stuff, and if you're going to spend this extra money on the game, you're probably going to spend enough time with it to unlock this stuff as you go anyways.

Oh well, a fool and his money....
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By big_jon

fucking EA
    asonunique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By asonunique

EA sucks hardcore, but BC2 is ok, next they will be trying to sell you an achievement

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

Haha I can't imagine any actual gamer doing this. If a friend of mine did something like this I would never stop making fun of him. :p

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By natetodamax

This actually really upsets me. Now I won't be able to tell the difference between who actually spent the time unlocking everything for a kit and who spent money to get everything. 

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By stephengotlost

Wow, I'm surprised Activision didn't release DLC that made you 10th level prestige already.
    EA beating them to the punch?

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lilbigsupermario

It's just an option.  The high price actually discourages anyone to just buy all the weapons without leveling up.  For those who have the money and don't want to spend too much time playing to level up, they'll buy it.  But for gamers who want to earn these weapons, then don't buy it.  It's aiming for the rich casual players who just want to play immediately.  And it's not mandatory anyway so there's no really point complaining against DICE and EA for offering that option, it won't affect your game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By Seppli

I think the pricing is great. It's so ridiculously expensive, that really only players who don't have enough time will buy it. Also, whoever buys such a thing has enough money. 

20$ is the right price. If it was much less, every nub with some pocketchange would buy them from the get-go.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us

They can't have no more of my money.

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alex_Murphy

If EA were a person, they'd be whoring their 12 year old daughter.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By solidlife

guess it will be $30 dollars in the next cod game

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho

Its nice that "real" gamers have the time to "earn" everything, but if someone would rather pay some money to skip some tedium I don't see the problem.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ryanwho said:
    " Its nice that "real" gamers have the time to "earn" everything, but if someone would rather pay some money to skip some tedium I don't see the problem. "
    You have to look at it in the context of the specific game actually.
    What some of us are trying to point out is that it actually takes very little time to get all of the unlocks.
    BFBC2 unlocks are not like MW2 weapon unlocks, they only take a bit of playtime and you should already have them all by the time you get to about level 20. It takes maybe 100th of the time to unlock all weapons as it does to get to say lvl 50. And the most important unlocks are all at the start of that, so just playing for a few hours you can already get the important stuff, after that it's just variations on weapons.

I guess my point is that if unlocking the weapons in this game is tedious to a person then perhaps they shouldn't be playing this game at all, it being primarily an online fps and all.
    Just to be clear, I have nothing against people who want to buy this, if someone wants to do this more power to them, it;s their money and it does not give them a competitive edge in the game so it's all good. It's nice for EA/Dice to provide the option I guess.
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By simian

For some reason I have this image of my mind of a super douche wallstreet type going for this so he can DOMINATE the game without actually playing it. Skill and practice be damned!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @simian said:
    " For some reason I have this image of my mind of a super douche wallstreet type going for this so he can DOMINATE the game without actually playing it. Skill and practice be damned! "
    Except all weapons are pretty much balanced now, so he won't be dominating anyone :P
    fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fastidious

If people want to pay more money to unlock all the items go right ahead. The one thing EA/Dice can't sell them is skill, although it wouldn't surprise me if they've got a team working on that :D

KimChi4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KimChi4U

First of all, I don't think we should say "fuck EA." If you're dumb enough to pay for the unlocks, then I'm all that much happier knowing EA will have a few more bucks to make another great BF game. Also, I will still snipe you with my rpg, one of the beginning unlocks in the engineer class. I might even mow you down with the SAW...2nd gun unlock in the medic class.

And second, if the gun you are using is making a huge difference for you, then you're probably already playing at a really high level of play. Most of the guns are good enough to get the job done...it's a player's skill that really matters. Then again, it's a player's ability to work well in a sqaud that gets in done in BFBC2.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Bouke

I could see how someone with little time to play would consider this, look at the twenty bucks and say; F*** this S***! I did buy the SpecAct kits, but just because i like BC2 a whole lot, and i want to keep playing it. Also the SpecAct weapons are not the best weapons in the game, so i hardly use them.
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrSnow

cheaters................................................

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

I read about this a couple days ago and it does bother me a little. Sure, on the one hand you could say for people who can afford to just buy the unlocks and don't mind it what harm is actually being done? They will still have less of a skill advantage than people who took the time to earn those guns, so in the long term it's no biggie. My problem is what this type of behaviour stands for and means for the game industry. The more people are used to this type of treatment the more they will come to expect it. Why play a game that forces you to actually earn things when another lets you pay a little extra for the better equipment? Suddenly all games will be doing it. Why play a game for fun when you can play one that lets you easily pay to watch numbers and levels increase? Why have pride in your game and a desire for people to play it the way you intended when you can easily earn a little bit more money by letting the consumer just buy everything? At this point your just selling virtual drugs to the players in my opinion.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#37  Edited By zidd
    @natetodamax: People who paid to unlock the stuff will have much less experience playing the actual game. 

I can see people who don't have enough time to play games using this to get content they wouldn't otherwise have access to. Not everyone has time to devote to unlocking stuff. If the game is balanced properly then it shouldn't be an issue.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Just more proof of how gaming is too damn easy these days. Now you can just pay your way to victory. What's the point in that? 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By jakob187

What does it matter?  Honestly, I can do just as good with any weapon in that game as the other.  Hell, most people still use the M24 sniper rifle...which is the first gun in the kit.  The only thing you really get out of it is all the gadgets and additional equipment, and even then, not that big of a deal. 

I know I still wreck face on that game, so I'm not worried.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By tmthomsen

EA is the most authentic publisher.

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Matt_

Look, some people just don't have the time to commit that much time to a single game. Personally I work full time and can't commit a lot of time to any one game I want to play. So I will probably get this to save me some time. Does that make me a bad person? Who knows. But, does it make my limited leisure time more convenient? Absolutely.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Evilmetal

It doesn't make you a bad person to buy those kit unlocks, but... you just support the concept of micro-transactions. Things which were once free or simple, are now charged a fee. It's stupid to pay $20 to unlock the weapons because they are already yours; you paid for those weapons already. It's part of the game. Who cares about time invested? "You didn't earn" the weapons??? wtf...

I wouldn't care if after some time EA/DICE trickled out weapons to new comers, without having to play a lot of time. But EA wants to use this excuse to make money from something they've already been paid for. It's ridiculous.

DICE didn't want to release server files because of the fear of hackers. But even without the server files, there are hackers all over. It's just poor excuse on DICE's part. DICE didn't include prone because they didn't want to slow gameplay down? bullshit, MW2 has prone and that is a fast ADD type of game.

DICE has become business-ified. 

You guys remember Interplay's old moto?  "For gamers, by gamers" ? or is it "By gamers, for gamers". Such a concept is non-existent today. It's more along the lines of "For gamers, by business oriented ass holes who don't give a shit about the game but only care to  extract every last cent someone has from their fucking pocket".

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Sooperspy

EA does this for every game. Why buy a game to buy a 10-20 dollar dlc which gives you everything.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tennmuerti

@MooseyMcMan said:

" Just more proof of how gaming is too damn easy these days. Now you can just pay your way to victory. What's the point in that?  "

You aren't paying your way to victory. Your statement is completely 100% false. 
    Some1 is paying for shit most people have already long since unlocked.
    Almost everyone has these weapons, exceptions are people who have played less then 24 hours maybe.
    Guns are balanced, there is no clear cut advantage to using gun that you get later on compared to the early ones. They have varying stats and some people prefer certain guns over others but overall the stats are balanced while still making the guns a bit different to each other. I regularly use the starter sniper rifle of recon class and starter SMG of engineering.
    All kit specific gadget unlocks are given mostly at the start of the class unlocks as such you will get them anyway super fast by just laying a few games.
    Any player who has played the game for more time and unlocked those guns themselves will more likely then not rape the dude who just bought the guns, in the face.
    If anything the player who just payed for the unlocks will be at a DISADVANTAGE, because they will be trying out different guns and juggling them all the time trying to get the feel for them. It will take such a player a longer time to adapt properly and find the gun that suits them best. Whereas unlocking things over time gives you a chance to get used to them properly and play better as a result.

In other words:
    I welcome people paying for unlocks. Guys like that boost my K/D

@Evilmetal: 
    Server code restriction has less to do with hacks and more to do with piracy and bootleg servers.
    EA/DICE get a nice chunk of money from people paying monthly fees for their servers. Also by doing that they can insure that only legal copies of the game get to play online and connect to their servers. This is simply a piracy issue. Hacking issue is handled by Punk buster or server admins. Having sunk over 100s of game hours already into it I am yet to feel/see a cheater, altho I've seen admins banning suspects.
    I also don't really miss prone at all. It feels unnecessary. Good wookies are hard enough to see anyway and I enjoy sniping the wannabe ones. Debatable i know, personal taste and all that.

Also ironically Interplay has long since sold it's soul for money, way way long time ago, about the time they canned Baldurs Gate 3 and Fallout 3.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews

PSN Store just updated with the shortcut kits.  The full pack and all class-specific packs are listed as a 100KB download.  Flip-a-BIT!

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Shortcut Kit ($19.99)
    Unlock all kit-specific items across the Assault, Engineer, Medic and Recon multiplayer kits in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Bundle pack also includes the 7 available vehicle unlocks.
    File size: 100 KB  

About 20 minutes ago I bought the PC version on Steam's sale today.  I think I'll be fine with just that.

MrCynical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By MrCynical

Doesn't bother me:

Assault - don't play that often
    Medic - happy with unscoped PKM (mainly play Engineer/Sniper anyway)
    Engineer - happy with AKS74 / UMP SA
    Sniper - have all unlocks, and in any event hate anything !SV98

I already play against lots of people with superior unlocks to me: it isn't really a problem as (unlike BF2) the unlockable weapons aren't unambiguously better than the defaults, only different.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Kyle

Dude... uncool. Damn you, capitalism!!

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Interfect
    @TMThomsen:  

Even more authentic then Kid Rock?
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Morality aside. If people are willing to pay for this they would be stupid not to charge for it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ajamafalous

Burnout Paradise had the same thing, nothing new.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.