Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

My first Platinum Trophy: BF:BC2 - and why never again...

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Wuddel

I am not much of a trophy/achievement hunter, but with BF:BC2 being so generous with its trophies I decided to go for my first platinum trophy with this game. A poor decision. Because that last one was a real bitch: Getting 20 Destruction 2.0 kills. I also finally got all awards now (platin stars with XM8 and tanks). Yeah, played to much of that game in a way too short amount of time. (btw after the SP and unlocking everything in the MP I lended the game out to a friend for half a year or so). My head and hand hurt. I overdosed basically. Now, that I can play the way I want I kinda do not want anymore. But there still are the 20 kills with the Huey remaining. Still quite a task considering it is broken on consoles. I certainly will not go for level 50. That's madness. Im 36 now.

Also all that Battlefield on consoles (1943 and BC1+2 are my main Battlefield experience, since I only looked briefly into BF2 and BF2142) kinda sold me on buying BF3 for the PC. I hate mouse&keyboard for shooters with a fiery passion and my PC is used for all kind of games but usually not (online) shooters. But these games bummed me out: 
    I play to win a round. Not to rack up scores. One reason why it took me so long to get those trophies and awards is that I could not break my habits and could not stand by idle while others just went for kills. Playing this way is hard in so small games. The matchmaking is not very good. I usually do not like server browsers - I always feel that I am falling prey to packs of way better players from clans who just farm the average gamer for kills - but at least you get full games. 
    Which usually leads to more fun in general, because more people go for the objective and the higher player count makes "Conquest" work in the first place. Conquest on consoles on games which often only have 16-20 players is no fun. You just run around without "meeting" the enemy.  Rush works much better for consoles I think , though winning by sitting next to a flag feels more "gamey" than blowing up stiuff (I liked Killzone 3s Objective mode. Nicely covering up that you just press a buttons.) 
     Also it is annoying that you have no control over the sqauads. Often there were 8 people in a team and I could not get into a squad, although it was not apparent that people "belonged" to each other. Either give us full control, or just force single players in squads. Along those lines: auto-balancing ... or lack there of. And our favourite: the all sniper team. See exibit A. Thank god for "2 snipers/team" servers (I played BC2 a bit on PC too, FYI.) Though I think that the shotgun recon is often the better "assault"-class. 

So all in all. These are overwhelming arguments for the PC version of BF3. I am not and PC-elitist. I hate that attitude. I would have prefered getting it for the console because I like games on my TV and sitting in my armchair. I guess I have to get better with mouse & keyboard. I'm getting raped so far, while on consoles I usually came out in the top quarter. 

PS: Too bad there is no Trophy data API for GiantBomb to use.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wuddel

I am not much of a trophy/achievement hunter, but with BF:BC2 being so generous with its trophies I decided to go for my first platinum trophy with this game. A poor decision. Because that last one was a real bitch: Getting 20 Destruction 2.0 kills. I also finally got all awards now (platin stars with XM8 and tanks). Yeah, played to much of that game in a way too short amount of time. (btw after the SP and unlocking everything in the MP I lended the game out to a friend for half a year or so). My head and hand hurt. I overdosed basically. Now, that I can play the way I want I kinda do not want anymore. But there still are the 20 kills with the Huey remaining. Still quite a task considering it is broken on consoles. I certainly will not go for level 50. That's madness. Im 36 now.

Also all that Battlefield on consoles (1943 and BC1+2 are my main Battlefield experience, since I only looked briefly into BF2 and BF2142) kinda sold me on buying BF3 for the PC. I hate mouse&keyboard for shooters with a fiery passion and my PC is used for all kind of games but usually not (online) shooters. But these games bummed me out: 
    I play to win a round. Not to rack up scores. One reason why it took me so long to get those trophies and awards is that I could not break my habits and could not stand by idle while others just went for kills. Playing this way is hard in so small games. The matchmaking is not very good. I usually do not like server browsers - I always feel that I am falling prey to packs of way better players from clans who just farm the average gamer for kills - but at least you get full games. 
    Which usually leads to more fun in general, because more people go for the objective and the higher player count makes "Conquest" work in the first place. Conquest on consoles on games which often only have 16-20 players is no fun. You just run around without "meeting" the enemy.  Rush works much better for consoles I think , though winning by sitting next to a flag feels more "gamey" than blowing up stiuff (I liked Killzone 3s Objective mode. Nicely covering up that you just press a buttons.) 
     Also it is annoying that you have no control over the sqauads. Often there were 8 people in a team and I could not get into a squad, although it was not apparent that people "belonged" to each other. Either give us full control, or just force single players in squads. Along those lines: auto-balancing ... or lack there of. And our favourite: the all sniper team. See exibit A. Thank god for "2 snipers/team" servers (I played BC2 a bit on PC too, FYI.) Though I think that the shotgun recon is often the better "assault"-class. 

So all in all. These are overwhelming arguments for the PC version of BF3. I am not and PC-elitist. I hate that attitude. I would have prefered getting it for the console because I like games on my TV and sitting in my armchair. I guess I have to get better with mouse & keyboard. I'm getting raped so far, while on consoles I usually came out in the top quarter. 

PS: Too bad there is no Trophy data API for GiantBomb to use.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Crono

Grats dude.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Vinny_Says

I got like 8 of those except on xbox. Only 2 of them were worth the effort, but that's how my OCD works. I was on my way in BC2 but killing 20 dudes by destroying buildings? No thank you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047
    deactivated-5e9ee8b9b3047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah that 20 building kills took me about 5 hours. It was a lot of fun though. Found it was easier to kill people with buildings while in a tank rather then blowing it with c4 after I got the trophy :/
    Also the moment when 5 guys manage to escape a collapsing building, setting you back another hour :@

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaneDev
    The 20 building kills required me to play a lot of White Pass Conquest. I got it eventually by just staying in the APC every round. The Conquest mode on consoles is meh but on PC I never found it to be much better in other Battlefield games. Most of the time its always just running to a point that was captured only to find one or two guys defending it, killing them and moving on to the next. 
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I play on PC and I like the way you get 5000 points for mastering certain aspects of the game and tend to use my Personal stats to see where I am likely to score my next 5000 point badge then concentrate on that. I managed to get the medic badge for healing 100 times in a single round, but that was 1 of those squad dethmatch games where we had to score 400 kills to win and I managed a few badges and scored close to 25,000 points which was pretty cool.  

I have been playing mostly assault class and have nearly got gold on every assault rifle but have also recently started trying to master the medic class. I have also tried my hand at recon and seen how this is helpful for a team when used tactically but I don't see the point in playing recon when there are already 1 or more recon players in my squad. So while I am not a great player, I play for fun, I am also a player that doesn't really like the objectives based side of the game too so I tend to spend my time in squad deathmatch games, for some reason I like the trophy hunting side element and get a lot of satisfaction in achieving those.

This pick shows what I managed to achieve in that 'epic' game, lol.
    This pick shows what I managed to achieve in that 'epic' game, lol.
    PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PillClinton

You picked the wrong game to plat, dude.  GOW3, Uncharted 2, RE5--all games I've platted much more easily than coming up just short with all the achievements for BC2.  

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jayross

Bad Company 2 isn't that bad if you really love the multiplayer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.