Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

no game of the year for bc2

• 51 results
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

As I recall, Jeff says that he wasn't too fond of the game and the campaign. He's more into COD shooter than BF and the change of direction in campaign was off putting.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

BC2 is no where near the best looking game.  :|

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

I don't think it should win any of the awards when compared to everything else. 

But not even a mention is fucking lame.

atombrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By atombrain

Probably because it's not the best and the single player is not great. Personally I like the multiplayer but found the lack of team balancing and slow class progression to be subpar when compared to other games of it's type that just do it better.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

That kinda surprised me too. I don't think it is an issue at all because these are very personal choices and therefore wen can't "demand" games being on GB's lists. For me BC2 certainly should be at least considered  for best looking game, best game and best multiplayer but the thing that truly stands out is the online experience and none of the GB staff got into that beyond what Jeff played for review, so I'm really not surprised it wasn't part of the deliberation process. The game sure as hell is my game of the year, so I'll be excited to see if it makes it into the communtiy nominations. Also it got mentioned in written lists already, so it isn't like they completely ignored it.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By warxsnake

I feel sorry for DICE nobody seems to like them and their great multiplayer game.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

It came out in like, March or something, so it's harder for people to recall how good it was when it came out.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

It's on my list.  I hated most of the maps though.  I'm glad they re-introduced BFBC1 maps, eventually.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf

The campaign is pretty terrible and it isn't the best looking. It deserved a mention in best multiplayer though but it really is about their choices.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @Tarsier: Well what did you expect. Vinny doesn't really play MP, Brad might be if you can get him out of his Battle.net, Ryan's tried it and frankly from the the TNT session they had with BC2 it seems BC2 is not for him, and Jeff while giving the MP a very glowing review just prefers CoD. BC2 never had a chance of getting anything. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @warxsnake said:
    " I feel sorry for DICE nobody seems to like them and their great multiplayer game. "
    I think the +6 million copies the game sold should at least offer some condolences. While I think DICE would have loved to get awards for the awesome MP they created I don't think they give a shit about it. BC2 is awesome and Battlefield 3 will be heavenly. Now I think I will get back to Hill 137. 
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jayross

The singleplayer is kind of lame, and none of those guys really got into the multiplayer.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By warxsnake
    @Mordukai said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    " I feel sorry for DICE nobody seems to like them and their great multiplayer game. "
    I think the +6 million copies the game sold should at least offer some condolences. While I think DICE would have loved to get awards for the awesome MP they created I don't think they give a shit about it. BC2 is awesome and Battlefield 3 will be heavenly. Now I think I will get back to Hill 137.  "
    Then what's the point for any award; all the major winners are usually the ones who sold millions of copies.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By shiftymagician

Man I must be in the minority here, but I got this game from the Steam sales and thought it was pretty good, and a lot more enjoyable then the current Call of Duty offerings personally.  I didn't find it too hard to level up so long as you have good reflexes and continually help out those around you.

Also I really enjoyed the sound work they did for that game in both the single and multi-player modes.  I don't often hear a collection of sounds when played together give off that large war feeling at times.  Finally, knowing that there is less of a tendancy to see knife ninjas in Battlefield automatically make me prefer the type of multi-player DICE makes.  

No surprise more people go for something more accessible with faster rewards though.  At least you are gauranteed a large player-base to play with in a series like that and that familiarity with how the guns feel since Call of Duty 4.  However more people should give Bad Company 2 a go if they haven't tried it yet.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By PhatSeeJay

While singleplayer was pretty much garbage compare to the first game and the fact that I would probably not even be playing it if it was a console exclusive like the first installment.

But since they made a lot of good things for the PC version, I was definitely enjoying Bad Company 2 a lot more than both MW2 and Black Ops. 

BUT.. I will throw this puppy in the bin the second I get my hands on Battlefield 3.. which is why it's not really a winner for me on any category.  It's just a good substitute while I wait for the main event.

(I would give Best Sound to Bad Company 2 though. The sound effects are fucking fantastic)

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By BrittonPeele

You're right that it should have at least been discussed for best multiplayer, but those other ones? ...no. Not at all. It's a great game, but not the best looking and most certainly not the game of the year.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By TheSmashing

The sound design in the game is outstanding. 

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrankCanada97

No Best Explosion(s) category?

TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TSchonbeck

I was a bit disappointed that BC2 didn't get a mention but that's the game. Didn't make a big enough impression on the guys.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By 234r2we232

Better games were mentioned less.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman

There's no category that Bad Company 2 could have possibly won.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
    @warxsnake said:

" @Mordukai said:

" @warxsnake said:
    I think the +6 million copies the game sold should at least offer some condolences. While I think DICE would have loved to get awards for the awesome MP they created I don't think they give a shit about it. BC2 is awesome and Battlefield 3 will be heavenly. Now I think I will get back to Hill 137.  "
    Then what's the point for any award; all the major winners are usually the ones who sold millions of copies. "
    Not necessarily. The video game industry doesn't have one unified award show (NO! the VGA don't count) like the movie industry so most game awards boil down to what the ones that are giving away the award likes. Selling millions of copies doesn't automatically gives you an award. Any award is basically a popularity contest. For example, if it was up to Jeff then RDR would have gotten no awards even though many gamers and reviewers liked it.
    blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blackbird415
    @SmashingTimes said:
    "  The sound design in the game is outstanding.  "
    It was the same for the original. Its the echoing sound from inside when the gun pops and the muffled explosions from a distance is just amazing
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Binman88
    @Mordukai: Yep. I'd also suggest that awards and reviews (for any form of media, really) are largely unimportant and irrelevant. They're very specific and opinion based, and therefore can't properly reflect the comparative quality of one game to the next. Awards are usually given to the best of something, which is not a clear and easy thing to do when subjective opinions are involved.
    iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iSylence

I have it as number 7 on my list. :)

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By carlthenimrod

The multi-player is great.and my favorite of the year, but the single-player was a tremendous step backwards from the original Bad Company. It doesn't deserve GOTY because of that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SmashingTimes said:
    yup  

@FrankCanada97 said:
    " No Best Explosion(s) category? "
    FUCK YES
    Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Twitchey
    @ShiftyMagician: I feel the gun play in COD since COD4 was the same until Black Ops. The first time I shoot the M16 in that game it felt different. I feel like it has improved though.
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By infininja

Regarding the sound in BC2: 

I recently got FEAR during the Steam sales. Uhhhhh, BC2 has spoiled me in a major way. Every gun in FEAR sounds muffled and weak, except for the pistols and maybe the shotgun.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#32  Edited By EpicSteve

BC2 seems to be one of those games that has a weird divide between the gaming press and us. No one on the press side seemed to give a damn. My friends list has always had at least two people playing all year. I also found myself enjoying it a lot.

withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By withateethuh

Bad Company 2 has done the most innovation to the shooter genre than any other games in the past few years by far.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ToxicFruit

My multiplayer game of the year 

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Riddell
    @SmashingTimes said:
    I agree. DICE games always sound amazing.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Wuddel

Single Player was meh. 

BC2 also was not very innovative compared to BC1. More of the same (awesome) stuff. This is a major point.

The MP lacks stuff which is nowadays very important, like a "movie mode" or a "create your own game/gametype" function. Halo:Reach excels in this. Blops also added some basic functionality. Bet this will show up in BF3. I peronally consider the lack of gametypes a plus. It keeps the playerbased focused, and helps map design. 

Jeff and Brad are most into the FPS stuff and they prefer Halo I guess. Still surpised it did not show up in the lower ranks of the staff top 10. 

Vietnam was not taken in consideration I guess. Could be a contender for best DLC maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BFBC2 is superior compared to CoD. Giantbomb just doesn't like challenge in their multiplayer games.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By mikemcn

The singleplayer is one of the worst single player experiences Ive ever had.  Maybe best multiplayer though, but no GOTY.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By big_jon

It was an amazing game.
    swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By swamplord666

yeah, I don't expect them to get many awards but no mention is pretty terrible. It's got a really good multiplayer.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By rjaylee

I recall them mentioning it just once in one of the deliberation podcasts. I don't remember which one it was, but I do very much remember Jeff giving mention to it after I believe Vinny brought it up. If I recalled correctly, Jeff literally reiterated the common point that "the singleplayer was awful, but the multiplayer is great".

It didn't go any further than that, and I also wish it would have spurred a little more discussion when they were talking about the Best Multiplayer category. To be fair though, it doesn't really matter too much in the end, because when you weigh it against the 3 finalists they selected, I think they still got it relatively right, even though I highly enjoyed and sunk terrible amounts of hours into BC2's multiplayer this year as well.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By infininja
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " I recall them mentioning it just once in one of the deliberation podcasts. I don't remember which one it was, but I do very much remember Jeff giving mention to it after I believe Vinny brought it up. If I recalled correctly, Jeff literally reiterated the common point that "the singleplayer was awful, but the multiplayer is great".  It didn't go any further than that, and I also wish it would have spurred a little more discussion when they were talking about the Best Multiplayer category. To be fair though, it doesn't really matter too much in the end, because when you weigh it against the 3 finalists they selected, I think they still got it relatively right, even though I highly enjoyed and sunk terrible amounts of hours into BC2's multiplayer this year as well. "
    Unfortunately, I believe that was brought up during the most disappointing category discussion.
    gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By gungrave45

it should have won worst single player campaign.

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Noodles
    @warxsnake said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " @warxsnake said:
    Then what's the point for any award; all the major winners are usually the ones who sold millions of copies. "
    Clicks.
    9mmStudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By 9mmStudios
    Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Warihay

The single player sucked and none of them were interested in the multiplayer. I love it and am totally back into it now post Vietnam. It's not a big deal though that they didn't mention it. It wouldn't win any of those categories you mentioned either for me and I love it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By l4wd0g

Bad Company 2 is a shame. The games not perfect, but it is dang good. There were some serious balancing issues in multiplayer (read attack helicopter) that were disappointing.

I love the Vietnam addon. I think it's better than Minerva's Den or Lair of the Shadow Broker. It sure provided a heck of a lot of content for $15.  

drcocktopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By drcocktopus

No way it should ever get best looking game but best multiplayer...it could have been a consideration

Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Th3dz

Best Audio damnit!

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By vitor
    @KaosAngel said:
    " BC2 is no where near the best looking game.  :| "
    This.  

But it deserves props for it's multiplayer mode at least - even if it hasn't really evolved much since BF2. Still, the destructible environments do make it feel unlike anything else out there and I lost countless hours to it on release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.