Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Mar 02, 2010

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the second installment in this spin-off Battlefield series. It has a more serious campaign and a vastly expanded multiplayer system.

why do people hate recons ?

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xdaknightx69

hey

i hav been playing BFBC2 for a few months now and started out in the assault class but found i;m better at recon .

i'm not a recon just for the k/d ratio, but not gonna lie i like the feeling i get when i can snipe someone from 500m's away.

i like to help my team by spotting and using mortar to blow up buildings where the other team is hiding and possibly get them out of cover so that my team can kill them.

in the few weeks i have been playing as a recon i must have spotted 1000's of players and killed even more while trying to save my teammate from getting knifed in the back or just by getting blown up by a tank/chopper and defending the objective.

my question is why do some/most people hate recons ?

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By squirrelnacho

In games like Battlefield quite often Recon will just sit in one spot away from the objective trying to pad their KD ratio, regardless of how well the team is doing. You may not do this, but anyone whos played a team oriented game like Battlefield knows this is the case.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@squirrelnacho: Plus a lot of BC2 maps are plagued by awful sniper spots that should not be allowed. Depends on the game. A lot of people end up not being team players, some of them play in a way that just makes them frustrating to deal with despite the fact that they don't really do much themselves. The worst ones are the ones that'll steal a vehicle, even a chopped, just to get out to some silly remote spot faster, letting every one else who could have actually used that vehicle for good instead of evil get to sit around and suck their thumbs or walk half way across the map.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Clonedzero

well this would be better served in the BC2 forum, but i'll bite.

most recons are generally useless to the team. when you're struggling to try and capture an objective and you see half your team sitting on the hill sniping to fuel their own egos, it gets really frustrating, especially when you know if they switched classes that you'd easily win the match. sure a recon can be useful, but most arent, a vast majority arent actually.

in almost any scenario, another assault, medic or engineer is far more useful to the team than a recon, simply due to how versatile they can be and how tehy tend to actually hit the objectives instead of sitting on a hill in the back.

i played ALOT of BC2, and its extremely rare for me to see a useful recon.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

If you're going to play as recon, then make sure that you opt out of joining a squad.  If you're sniping people from 500m away from the action/objective, the your squad's ability to spawn on you is completely wasted.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Scrawnto

@squirrelnacho said:

In games like Battlefield quite often Recon will just sit in one spot away from the objective trying to pad their KD ratio, regardless of how well the team is doing. You may not do this, but anyone whos played a team oriented game like Battlefield knows this is the case.

Getting killed in one shot with no chance to react is a little annoying, but this is the real problem. I've been on a team of 12 more than half of which was made of snipers. That never goes well.

(That said, I love playing Recon, but I try to use midrange weapons so I can at least throw out sensor balls for my teammates.)

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Silver-Streak

BF2142 made this a little better by making Recon both the sniper /and/ the Spec Ops, so they weren't always hated. You needed Spec Ops to complete a bunch of the main game mode in 2142, as only they could blow up some of the panels out there.

Man. I realize now I still like BF2142 more than anymore BF. Maybe I'm alone.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Did they fix the shotgun with solid slugs thing in bfbc2? Loved going recon with that, could still snipe to mid range, then destroy people close in concert with sensors

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Enigma777

Mortars

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xdaknightx69

i agree that stealing atv's/choppers is bad practice and that to many snipers does ruin game play esp if they suck , i try and play as different class's when my team needs it usually medic or assault .

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

when you have 10 recons on the team, it's hard to get the objective, due to most of them wanting to be long distance snipers.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@xdaknightx69 said:

hey

i hav been playing BFBC2 for a few months now and started out in the assault class but found i;m better at recon .

i'm not a recon just for the k/d ratio, but not gonna lie i like the feeling i get when i can snipe someone from 500m's away.

i like to help my team by spotting and using mortar to blow up buildings where the other team is hiding and possibly get them out of cover so that my team can kill them.

in the few weeks i have been playing as a recon i must have spotted 1000's of players and killed even more while trying to save my teammate from getting knifed in the back or just by getting blown up by a tank/chopper and defending the objective.

my question is why do some/most people hate recons ?

They often do nothing but camp. Wile your entire team is trying to cap a point. Or arm a Mcom your back shooting.

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MisterDunlap

Because of Bush Wookies. Players who role Recon then hang out at the very edge of the map trying to snipe, and usually failing miserably, thus making themselves useless to the team effort.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Discorsi

Yes bush wookies and recons who don't bother to throw those motion tracking balls.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo
    @Clonedzero

well this would be better served in the BC2 forum, but i'll bite.

most recons are generally useless to the team. when you're struggling to try and capture an objective and you see half your team sitting on the hill sniping to fuel their own egos, it gets really frustrating, especially when you know if they switched classes that you'd easily win the match. sure a recon can be useful, but most arent, a vast majority arent actually.

in almost any scenario, another assault, medic or engineer is far more useful to the team than a recon, simply due to how versatile they can be and how tehy tend to actually hit the objectives instead of sitting on a hill in the back.

i played ALOT of BC2, and its extremely rare for me to see a useful recon.

This exactly. This was what caused me to stop playing BC2 in the end.
    Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quipido

Well I only play Hardcore Rush and I must say the number of recon players dropped significantly over the time. You can find some here and there, but it's not nearly as bad as when the game was new and the situation wheh I had 3 recon players in my squad (with some of the lowest scores in the game) was far more common.

I have aslo seen some great recon players, who actually made themselves usefull by finding a good spot for others to respawn while staying hidden and sniping enemy. But that is just rare and as said above, most recon players don't make the most out of the class.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MeierTheRed

I don't hate Recon class, i just hate people who don't play that class like its intended. And in the time i have been playing BC2 i haven't met many people who actually played them well.

I never use it i like Medic and Engineer my self, i never pick a class where i know i'm unable to support my squad well.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pezen

As noted, it's certainly true that a lot of them are not "in the game" as much as the other classes. But I think beyond that, most of the frustration I've noted with snipers in any game is that the run n' gunners get frustrated that their reflexes don't mean as much when whoever is killing you is doing so from far away. Nevertheless, I love Recon/Sniper classes. But, as noted, you have to contribute to the team effort, otherwise there's no point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @squirrelnacho said:

In games like Battlefield quite often Recon will just sit in one spot away from the objective trying to pad their KD ratio, regardless of how well the team is doing. 

not games like Battlefield, games like Bad Company 
    Avatar image for ekpyroticuniverse
    Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love going recon but taking a rifle instead of a sniper, getting into the middle of things with motar to prevent defusing of objectives, those spot devices for checking out enemie positions and c4 to blow buildings all to hell. camping is an issue not recons.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jayjonesjunior

I don't mind them because i only play SQDM.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#22  Edited By Ping5000

G3 recon is the only good recon.

I also think it's really funny when recons call in mortars strikes on armor. By the time the shells start coming, that tank is usually long gone.

Avatar image for ekpyroticuniverse
    Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ping5000 said:

I also think it's really funny when recons call in mortars strikes on armor. By the time the shells start coming, that tank is usually long gone.

g3 recon is all i play

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By krazy_kyle

I don't like recon because it feels like the most useless class out of the four. It's almost pointless when you can be a medic or engineer. Recon is good if you choose a weapon other than a sniper rifle. Other than that, it's a class for easy kills and provides the only challenge of aiming.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By devitiffany

Being a recon isn't bad, it's more like being a sniper is annoying and not at all a credit to the team. Usually when I play Recon I hardly ever use a sniper rifle, mostly because I'm so terrible at it. I good recon should focus on spotting enemies, tossing motion mines whenever they get the chance, and call mortar strikes on any serious threats.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By dagas

Saying that Recons are fueling their ego is not quite true. When I play Recon I try to help out by spotting a lot more than I kill. Sure I can't help with capturing a point directly, but I can spot an incoming enemy for the people who are capturing the point so that they are not cought off guard.

I think people hate snipers in games because they can kill you from far away. It's one thing to get killed in close quarters, but when someone shoots you from afar it just seems cheap and cowardly.

I don't play recon that often though since it tends to get a bit tedious. I'd say I'm 70% medic and 10% each on the other classes.

@Ping5000 said:

I've had more tank kills with mortar than RPG's. Many people are dumb enough to stand on one spot for way too long in a tank.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By RIDEBIRD

If you haven't got a 10:1 or so K/D ratio as a sniper, you really should not be playing as a sniper. That's why most snipers are completely useless. If you kill ten guys on one life, be my guest. As a sniper you really should end up with 30/3 at least in stats after a round to be considered useful. In rush, as an attacker, this rarely helps though (snipers are close to not viable for the team while attacking). Recon as a whole are extremely valuable however, spotting with motion mine and blowing stuff up.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By innacces14

Pretty much what everybody is saying here. I play recon almost exclusively but do change my load out between attackers and defenders. As defense I stick to the usual bolt action snipers and getting myself close enough within throwing distance for my motion sensors, but once the attacking portion of the match rolls in I switch to a VSS with a red dot site and stick to a certain path towards the object and light the way for my squad with the motion sensors. I seldom get lower than fifth place while doing that.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShockD

Because people hate snipers. Simple.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.