Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield V

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 15, 2018

Battlefield V sees the series return to a World War II setting for the first time in nearly a decade.

Thoughts on the latest Battlefield

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulcake

I have being playing the "origin premium" version of Battlefield V this weekend thought i would right down some thoughts on it. So first off all i am a big battlefield fan started with 1942 and never looked back since, ( i still think BF2 on PC and Bad Company 2 on consoles was the height of the battlefield genre). I really liked BF1 Thought it had some neat maps and there new twist on conquest really helped where you had to push or defend certain points over a span off a view days, with that being said, I don't think these new maps are all that good, there just too small compare these maps to classics like wake island or strike at karkand and there like 1/4 off what they used to be, they probably did this because of the lack of vehicles in this game, let me tell you about that holly crap arn't there not enough vehicles in this BF Game, WWII was all about being the fastest in logistic / troop deployment you know blitzkrieg tactics but let's not cry to much about "authenticity" in this game the cosmetic options are okay and i am fine with there gender equal battlefield, as long as the game is fine, witch it ain't IMO I am a huge sucker for WWII ( Normandy, Bastonge etc... i have being there). The location of most of there maps are interesting with lesser know battles taking the lead here Algiers, Norway etc. And that's totally fine imo not every WWII game should have Omaha beach in there map rotation although i would really like Wake Island to come back it's a BF Classic. So when it comes to maps there just way too small and made for infantry only battles with a shorter time to kill ideal for your COD player trying out some battlefield.

When it comes to gun's there's your classic MP40 and Thompson machinegun with some more exotic stuff in the mix witch is always a welcoming sight in any WWII game no M1 garand though witch is a bummer but overall a okay line-up.

So Classes the lack off ammo you start with is interesting with a bigger focus on people playing support to give set players ammo, snipers are still as annoying as ever and wish they would restrict it to two per team, Rising Storm 2 do's this perfectly, Scouts should focus on scouting and not nesting them self behind the nearest rock :D. Medic bigger focus on SMG's definitely made this my favorite class in this game. Assault seems to be the most picked one with a nice balance between assault rifles and anti sniper rifles (semi auto rifles with scopes) and two sets off panzerfausts ( would have liked a bazooka unlockable or a panzershreck one, but sadly there ain't).

Battlefield is teamplay and you trying to work in team with some rando. witch most off the time works but there's always some lone wolf doing his own thing. The nice implementation off inactive squadleaders loosing there squadleaders status is welcoming (i tend to play squad leader cause most folk just ignore set role). The new squad leader "call in" system is probably the best thing about battlefield V. You score team points and you can use set point's to call in V1 rockets, supplies and tanks. Great addition!

Also wanted to point out that your able to build fortifactions now on set locations witch makes defending a position way more interesting. For Example there's a map with a big hangar in the middle of it where you can fortify it with sandbags tanktraps and MG turrets, I hope this one stays in in future battlefields.

So conclusion maps are to small, a bigger infantry focused battlefield, ideal for COD players (COD players would probably love this one.) With the lack off vehicles and sea maps, this might be one off my least favorite ones up there with Hard-line, a big bummer if you liked 1942. Let's hope they make Bad Company 3 next i think the time is right.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've pre ordered it for the better refund policy in case i don't like it.
    History time, i liked Battlefield up to and including 3, it was with 4 that i realised having a ton of players in a multiplayer game just isn't fun, with the potential of having 32 guns pointed at you, capture points guaranteeing people know where you are, and the boring respawn sprinting sessions ensuring i play like an idiot in my rush to get back into the game thanks to the huge maps, i was done.
    I played BF4 and hated it, i also played BF1 in the hopes that the huge difference in technology would change how the game played but it didn't. So here we are with BFV, i've disliked everything pre-release so far, the reveal was awful, the trailers have sucked, and all gameplay i've watched has been 100% Battlefield but with really janky looking reload animations (i think that job fell to the interns), COD has been my shooter of choice for a long time now but i also really don't like BO4, so i find myself with a dilemma, keep playing the mediocre CODWW2 or try BF again... So i'm giving BFV a shot, there's been a lot of dislike for the game leading up to its release, but for me maybe that's a good sign, maybe SOMETHING has changed, maybe i'll like it now.
    We'll see.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I get it, it'll be on the Xbox One X. I played the beta, but honestly I don't really play multiplayer much even if it can be fun. I know that the war stories campaign is probably pretty short, but it's what I'm most curious about and 'look forward to' when it comes to this game. The soundtrack seems decent (albeit, it's only the beta music I'm listening to). BF1 had a phenomenal soundtrack so I hope this one stacks up.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Hayt

I have to say I'm in love with a lot of the changes.

The spotting shakeup is really really great. Particularly after years of 3D spotting I'd forgotten how much of an impact it has. The way subclasses like the machinegunner can spot via suppression is huge.

I love that they've gone with asymmetrical vehicles too. It really gives each side a different feel and identity.

Really excited to see how it goes once it opens up properly.

Slightly confused by OPs contention there aren't enough vehicles as this game has far more both in quantity and variety than BF1 did at launch.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By soulcake

@hayt: Yeah i might have being referencing older battlefields, but in BF1 the "SuperVehicles" tended to balance that out: zeppelin, french mega tank etc. And yeah the spotting definitely is a improvement forgot to mention that one. Although you unlock spotting by suppression at lvl 8 which is a weird choice. Played scout yesterday and had a lot off fun just spotting people with the binocular. Also i am guessing most maps aren't in there yet?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hayt

@soulcake: They say they will add more and are committed to at least two more. Their support plan is pictured below. I'm sure we'll get more than Panzerstorm (which sounds like the map you want as it apparently has 7 tanks a side) and Greece but how many more is a mystery.

Edit: here's the picture this time

No Caption Provided

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: O nice looking forward to it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

I've been playing a couple of hours of the ten hour trial and rather enjoy it so far. They've made some sensible changes to the progression system, actually giving new players useful gear to start with which they can specialize as they level up, instead of starting without class abilities and with barebones guns you have to grind with for hours to make useful.

I'd of course still prefer it if they ditched progression entirely, but this system is certainly the best they've had since they started doing it in Battlefield 2.

I've encountered a couple of odd bugs, an HDR thing that makes the game think you're indoors when you walk through rubble, making the "outdoor" world lighting blown out, and I've had some occasional 2-3 second freezes, which thankfully rarely happen more than once per match, but for the most part it loads pretty quickly and feels good to play.

I kinda find their nydar sight thing a little weird though, where they treat it as functionally identical to a modern red dot sight, I think it would've actually been more mechanically interesting if they had leaned towards a more realistic depiction - those sights didn't work indoors or in low visibility since they relied on ambient lighting for the crosshair to be visible, rather than being battery powered like modern sights are (or for that matter the gunner reflex sights they used in aircraft back then).

Battlefield has of course never been "realistic", but I think that's something where there could've been some interesting risk-vs-benefit kinda decisions to be made for the player.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If they went back to the route of battlefield 2. They never will

agc8602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My thoughts after having it for a few days is that it's a busted piece of garbage whenever you aren't actually in a match. Once a match ends however, oof. I feel like I wasted $80 and after Battlefront 2 and now my experiences with BFV, I no longer trust DICE as a company and will probably skip their games from now on.

I can't even play two matches in a row because the game keeps finding new ways to bug out every time. End of match, game just displays splash screen for previous map and doesn't load forcing you to close app manually. End of match, shows best squad then immediately goes to black screen and doesn't load forcing you to close app manually. End of match, loads into next game, but screen is blurred and the controller doesn't respond, forcing you to close app manually. Looking on the official forums show people on PC and Xbox are also having the same problems (including reports from nearly 2 weeks ago!), but still no response from DICE. So frustrating.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have one question - can you customize your loadout outside of a match? I skipped BF 1, but it was real damn annoying in BF4.

agc8602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hippie_genocide: Yea, you can. Unfortunately it is done by faction so can be a little time consuming at times.

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a fun time with BFV so far. Getting used to moving and aiming took a couple of hours and some messing around with the mouse settings.

The only real bug I've encountered so far was when I drove through a bumpy field with a truck that was towing a cannon. The truck and cannon together vibrated so hard on uneven ground that the whole thing bugged out and shot tens of metres up in the air. After landing it repeated twice until I was on more even ground. It must have lookes.

Apart from that, no crashes or other funny business so far.

phanboy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By phanboy4

I think it plays better than BF has in a while.

BF1 was cool, but it let the aesthetic drive the gameplay in a lot of (not necessarily bad) ways.

This feels more like the BF I remember, a slightly buggy, mechanics-first, semi-nonsensical free-for-all with 64 people. Having a lot of fun so far. Haven't had any major technical issues on the PS4 Pro yet, just small glitches.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it more than BF1, but i haven't found the fun yet.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Bugs aside (bodies glitching into walls, revives sometimes not working, trouble quitting a match, etc.) I like this Battlefield a lot. I never liked prior Battlefields that had such heavy focus on vehicles and snipers. The updated movement, updated aiming, stronger anti-vehicle weapons, and reliance on ammo/squadmates makes it a much more infantry-focused game. For me, that's a good thing. I'm enjoying matches a lot more than prior Battlefields where I often felt totally useless if I didn't have a tank or sniper rifle.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After a couple of marches my impression match the beta a lot. I quite like the feel of the game. The added mechanics of healing yourself, building barriers/digging trenches, class specific skills are all very fun and useful. Makes picking a class seem less like ”I like this gun” and more ”how can I be useful”. Something about the hud/logos though and the fact that does snipers have zeroing distance still? I cant seem to find it or maybe it’s scope specific. But either way, I almost get a slight Battlefront vibe from those two things, which isn’t as good. Because I fell off that game faster than Inthought due to things feeling very bare bones.

I really like the specific class/side customization. The fact that I could eventyally ’RP’ sides depending on weapons are fun and will give me more variety than always picking that one gun for each class.

Still need more time with it but overall my first impression is solid.

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has been playing since BF1942, I think this is a good game.

Yes there are glitches and the game can be a bit buggy, but I wouldn't quite call it a botched release the way BF4 or Battlefront 2 was. The day 4 survival mode in Grand Operations makes me feel like I'm watching (or rather playing) Game 7 sudden death overtime hockey. It's truly thrilling.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has played Battlefield since its initial release and virtually tried every release, Battlefield couldn't get me back on the game after Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Bad Company 2 was a huge peak in the franchise that made me always compare the newer releases with it ending up being disinterested, adding to that the jump from 32 players to 64 players made it become harder and harder for me to get back because as the player count increases in team based games the role of a single player or small party diminishes making it harder to get a control of a match.

I don't care what Dice calls their next Battlefield but what will get me back for sure is less player count per match -32 players is best!- and more emphasizes on destruction which is what made Bad Company 2 a franchise defining game.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I heard so much negativity but picked it up for 30 the other day, this is my favorite battlefield since 3. Feels great, lots of maps, modes are all solid, and the assignments keep me on my toes using different classes and weapons.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly think it's the best Battlefield in the last few years - might be in my top 3 of the series with BF2 and Bad Company 2.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played several matches in the 10 hour trial around Thanksgiving... it was meh. I didn't really like the guns, sights, or scopes. I loved BF3 and BF4. BF1 and BF5 don't do anything for me. Conquest is fun, but has gotten old so they need a new game mode to hang their hat on, whether that's battle royale or something else. BF needs to evolve or it'll get left behind like Halo.

The next one better be modern. I've disliked COD post Modern Warfare 2, but they were smart to focus on versus, co-op, and battle royale this year. Dice should've done the same, since I don't give a crap about their campaigns. By the time their BR mode comes out in March it'll probably be too little too late and I watched a video a couple months ago saying Dice wasn't even making the BR mode, it's another EA studio, which sounds pretty lame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.