Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battlefield

Franchise »

The Battlefield series is created by Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts. The games focus on large maps and vehicle combat with a strong focus on class-based teamwork. The Battlefield series spans multiple platforms and has a strong PC based following.

Battlefield V is "Boots on the Ground": Thoughts?

• 59 results
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Hayt

@humanity: oh yeah I don't pretend my situation is common, just raising my hand to be counted among the keen for the era.

_____

Venturebeat updated their article and one of the mentioned features is the ability to go prone on your back. I've played every Battlefield game but I'm not sure what value this would have. Shooting at planes while in a trench?

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@sasnake: I'm aware. Doesn't stop it being the most recent use in context. Also I'm interested to know which other trillion-dollar militaries have their marketing done for them by hollywood and video game publishers.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was hoping Battlefield would have a battle royale mode in the next one since I'm not a big fan of the gunplay in PUBG but love the concept. I don't think I'd like battle royale with WWII weapons and the limited weapons is why I played BF1 so much less than BF3 and BF4. I'd rather it be a modern day Bad Company game with a lot of destructibility, all the classic BF modes, and a PUBG style mode... they don't have to do a campaign if there's a lot of content for multiplayer.

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By obese_chipmunk

I really enjoyed BF1. It took me back to the glory days of BF1942 when the environments (even the urban ones) were spread out enough to really make me feel I was working with my team to defend and attack points (strategy). At the same time, the maps were designed in such a way as to encourage running people over in jeeps (stupidity). You could technically run people over in BF3 and 4 but the maps weren't exactly conducive to jeep shenanigans. Maybe it was all that debris they strung around the map, some kind of attempt to make people bow down to the greatness of the Frostbite engine (when in reality, the debris was like super sticky bubble gum that made you get trapped in the map - terrible for vehicles and running people over in jeeps). Battlefield 1 gave me the same vibes as 1942, which was great. There were jeeps, and horses too! The horses were fun and dumb to use and added a really cool harassment strategy to team play.

But here's where it all went south. I tried getting back into BF1 recently and had to put the game down. They did something to the horses. It's way harder to hit people with the sabre. I tried looking around for patch notes but there was no mention of nerfing the horses. I checked a couple forums and there were other horse enthusiasts complaining too. I feel like they nerfed the horses without saying anything. Why? I don't know, maybe to appeal to the crowd that just wants a meat and potato shooter experience without the funkiness of horses. But funkiness is a part of the BF experience, and the fact that they actually innovated this part of the game by adding horses to the mix was really cool. I guess what I'm trying to say is I hope Dice doesn't pull the rug from under themselves like they did with BF1. They should stick to their guns and keep a healthy balance between strategy and stupidity. That's what the BF series is all about, and that's why BF3 and BF4 felt bland in comparison.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@obese_chipmunk: yeah I totally agree about the mix of strategy and silly. Specifically for the horses they patched the sword hitboxes a while ago and they stink now. My top vehicle is horse but its not as lethal anymore for sure. They did however clean up the horses jumping logic so you come to a screaming halt less.

obese_chipmunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Glad to have run into a fellow horse rider!

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usage in real world scenarios is old. Usage in video games is 100% marketing. I'm not referring to this thread but It's sad to see people out in the wild use this phrase and how happy they are they don't have to play a Sci Fi shooter. As if turn of the century wars and middle eastern conflicts aren't done to death at this point.

loudgeekjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Get up, Trinity. Get up.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could set Battlefield in any era and I think it would be okay. I think the worst one is BF1 (not including Hardline, which I didn't play) and it's still a great game.

It'll be good to see BF return to WW2 with modern tech, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that any studio can completely f*** it up with any game. Best to just wait and see.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Hayt

@loudgeekjr: haha you know aiming up stairs prone on your back actually could be the new corner camping

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I'm looking forward to Battlefield's return to WWII. I enjoyed BF1, but didn't put nearly as much time into it online as I did with BF4.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Boots on the ground' might be my least favourite phrase ever used in gaming. It really makes my skin crawl. Probably my own issue....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.