'Battleship' Will Also Be a First-Person Shooter Now

• 152 results
Posted by alex (3481 posts) -

Because no blockbuster film can apparently exist without some kind of video game adaptation that may or may not bear any real resemblance to the film in question, Activision and developer Double Helix have today announced that they will be teaming up with Universal Pictures to bring an extremely loose interpretation of the studio's upcoming sort of adaptation of Hasbro's classic boardgame Battleship to video game consoles everywhere.

Man, it's EXACTLY how I don't remember playing Battleship as a kid!

Undoubtedly you've seen the myriad ads for the Peter Berg-directed film, which features innocent battleships suddenly caught in a massive alien invasion that looks more or less like an accidental Michael Bay parody. The game will apparently follow a storyline wholly separate from the one that features Taylor Kitsch, Rihanna, and Alexander Skarsgaard fighting aliens (and also Liam Neeson collecting yet another paycheck.) Instead, you'll play as Cole Mathis, some manner of demolitions expert who is not on a battleship, yet is somehow capable of commanding a number of battleships while fighting off the aforementioned ocean aliens.

The game will split its battles into first-person shooter sequences and tactical "Battle Command" sequences, where you tactically position ships into tactical situations to tactically defeat the alien enemies, presumably while using tactics.

"With a BATTLESHIP videogame, we have an amazing opportunity to take our beloved property and give it a modern-day spin," said Mark Blecher, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Digital Media and Marketing at Hasbro, and also a guy who apparently forgot EA already made a version of Battleship for Xbox Live along with a bunch of other Hasbro properties, and thus likely will be getting a very irritated phone call from them later today.

"The merging of tactical and action elements immerses players in an epic maritime conflict. Activision is completely up to the task of delivering a high-intensity thrill ride that's perfectly suited for today's console owners," he added, clearly unaware that the makers of last year's generally disliked Green Lantern game, as well as the universally reviled G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra game would be developing this.

Battleship will be coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this April in Europe, and May in North America. Separate adaptations for the Wii, 3DS and regular old DS will be coming later down the road from developer Magic Pockets, makers of the GBA version of that horrible Catwoman game, and Petz Dolphinz Encounter, which is something that exists, apparently.

Staff
#1 Posted by alex (3481 posts) -

Because no blockbuster film can apparently exist without some kind of video game adaptation that may or may not bear any real resemblance to the film in question, Activision and developer Double Helix have today announced that they will be teaming up with Universal Pictures to bring an extremely loose interpretation of the studio's upcoming sort of adaptation of Hasbro's classic boardgame Battleship to video game consoles everywhere.

Undoubtedly you've seen the myriad ads for the Peter Berg-directed film, which features innocent battleships suddenly caught in a massive alien invasion that looks more or less like an accidental Michael Bay parody. The game will apparently follow a storyline wholly separate from the one that features Taylor Kitsch, Rihanna, and Alexander Skarsgaard fighting aliens (and also Liam Neeson collecting yet another paycheck.) Instead, you'll play as Cole Mathis, some manner of demolitions expert who is not on a battleship, yet is somehow capable of commanding a number of battleships while fighting off the aforementioned ocean aliens.

The game will split its battles into first-person shooter sequences and tactical "Battle Command" sequences, where you tactically position ships into tactical situations to tactically defeat the alien enemies, presumably while using tactics.

"With a BATTLESHIP videogame, we have an amazing opportunity to take our beloved property and give it a modern-day spin," said Mark Blecher, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Digital Media and Marketing at Hasbro, and also a guy who apparently forgot EA already made a version of Battleship for Xbox Live along with a bunch of other Hasbro properties, and thus likely will be getting a very irritated phone call from them later today.

"The merging of tactical and action elements immerses players in an epic maritime conflict. Activision is completely up to the task of delivering a high-intensity thrill ride that's perfectly suited for today's console owners," he added, clearly unaware that the makers of last year's generally disliked Green Lantern game, as well as the universally reviled G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra game would be developing this.

Battleship will be coming to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this April in Europe, and May in North America. Separate adaptations for the Wii, 3DS and regular old DS will be coming later down the road from developer Magic Pockets, makers of the GBA version of that horrible Catwoman game, and Petz Dolphinz Encounter, which is something that exists, apparently.

Staff
#2 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6420 posts) -

REALLY...

No Caption Provided
#3 Posted by NMC2008 (1248 posts) -

I can't wait until they make Candy Land into an FPS.

#4 Edited by Atwa (1555 posts) -

I dont care what nobody says, this can ONLY mean good things.

#5 Posted by leejunfan83 (1156 posts) -

FUCK

#6 Posted by thirteenyahs (132 posts) -

You sunk my expectations.

#7 Posted by JohnDudebro (955 posts) -

I cannot describe how thrilled I am that another game is gonna be added to the Games Based On Movies Based On Games concept page.

#8 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (501 posts) -

Madness. This is madness.

#9 Posted by alex (3481 posts) -

@thirteenyahs: Best comment.

Staff
#10 Posted by ztiworoh (910 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

I can't wait until they make Candy Land into an FPS.

Honestly, I would love to see Double Fine do a Candy Land FPS. Just think of what that could be.

#11 Posted by Rox360 (1262 posts) -

Anyone wanna bet against them releasing a new board game themed after the movie/video game adaptation, too?

#12 Posted by Excast (1368 posts) -
@digitalsea87 said:

Madness. This is madness.

No..  This.  Is.  BAAATTLESHHIIIPPPP!!!!
#13 Posted by Oni (2283 posts) -

What is this. Where am I? What year is it?

#14 Posted by Asadasa5 (88 posts) -

It's coming out in Europe first? Guess I'll have to import a copy.

#15 Posted by alibson (166 posts) -
No Caption Provided
#16 Posted by takeshikitano3 (67 posts) -

So relieved, I thought this was going to be about Jumanji.

#17 Posted by fox01313 (5206 posts) -

Might be better off with a first-person Minesweeper game than this, at least with low enough expectations here I can safely avoid this (and maybe the film too) without feeling bad about not playing it.

#18 Posted by Enigma777 (6285 posts) -

Wait....

Micheal Bay is not directing Battleship?

WHAT THE FUCK?

#19 Posted by matiaz_tapia (397 posts) -

Sacrifice...

#20 Posted by scottp (312 posts) -
No Caption Provided

@Oni:

#21 Posted by MrXD (267 posts) -

What the f**k Activision, what the f**k?

#22 Posted by MosesWalker (90 posts) -

I hope Candyland gets the same treatment some day.

#23 Posted by Swoxx (3034 posts) -

@thirteenyahs said:

Oh you

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (8010 posts) -

Fuck off.

#25 Edited by deerokus (902 posts) -

Battleship isn't even really a board game, it's a pencil and paper game that Hasbro somehow own the copyright to. I now fully expect Noughts and Crosses/Tic Tac Toe to be made into an FPS via movies.

#26 Posted by louiedog (2389 posts) -

In multiplayer games can I lie about getting shot and then slyly move my character model one step to the right?

#27 Posted by BonOrbitz (2475 posts) -
I hate you Activision.
I hate you Activision.
#28 Posted by dOm_CaTz (300 posts) -

ehh i enjoyed the green lantern game but that joe game was straight up shit in a case. the movie will be a 2nd rate transformers(which is already shit so what is 2nd rate shit?) and the game wont be good either, but i bet it will come in 2nd to max payne 3 in sales when it comes out which will be a damn shame since it shouldn't even be on the same shelf.

#29 Posted by Toug (544 posts) -

*slow clap*

#30 Posted by LoktarOgar (511 posts) -

I get that first person shooters sell (even if this particular one won't), and this is one way to extend the joke that is this entire phenomenon, but I think it would have been [even] funnier if they made a game based on the movie that was just a digital version of Battleship the pencil and paper game.

Avatar image for livingitlarge224
#31 Posted by Livingitlarge224 (108 posts) -

Personally, I can't wait for Magic: The Gathering: The Movie: The Video Game: The Card Game.

#32 Edited by Ventilaator (1569 posts) -

I wanna laugh at this, but then I get sad

#33 Posted by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

It comes full circle when they make the board game based on the movie.

#34 Posted by Olivaw (1287 posts) -

@louiedog said:

In multiplayer games can I lie about getting shot and then slyly move my character model one step to the right?

HAH

The only way to play Battleship.

#35 Posted by sammo21 (5294 posts) -

This is old news. I feel like I saw this somewhere weeks ago, but my mind was equally as blown.

#36 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -

@Livingitlarge224 said:

Personally, I can't wait for Magic: The Gathering: The Movie: The Video Game: The Card Game.

They already had Mortal Kombat: The Movie: The Game. That was a while back, though, so maybe it's time for a refresher on why games of movies of games don't really work. Or, in this case, games of movies of board games.

This whole thing is going to be one of the most expensive turds ever, after combining the money it will take to make the movie and the game.

#37 Posted by WiqidBritt (590 posts) -

I'm sure it'll be as good as that Battle: Los Angeles game.

#38 Posted by WindFall259 (398 posts) -

In other news, Michael Bay is going to direct a movie based on Connect Four.

#39 Edited by Shaanyboi (1541 posts) -

Fuck you, Activision. And fuck you, Hasbro, for even considering a movie for this...

#40 Posted by OllyOxenFree (5015 posts) -

WE FPS NOW

#41 Posted by Eribuster (785 posts) -

Double Helix doesn't have a great track record. Good luck to them in making the game.

#42 Posted by Artigkar (193 posts) -

@believer258: err? I think you mean street fighter and not mortal kombat?

#43 Posted by SSully (5283 posts) -

@thirteenyahs said:

Best post in this article.

#44 Posted by Rhaknar (6299 posts) -

the only thing i can think about this is:

"because of course it will"

#45 Posted by jgree21 (40 posts) -

@Enigma777: I saw the commercial and thought the same thing. Definitely looks like a Bay joint.

#46 Posted by nginsmall (51 posts) -

Hahahaha (^o^) nice job Activision.

#47 Posted by Justin258 (14374 posts) -

@Artigkar said:

@believer258: err? I think you mean street fighter and not mortal kombat?

After a bit of internet searching, I find that I did. Ooops. I was getting confused - two 90's fighting franchises which got movies made of them.

#48 Posted by Rawson (143 posts) -

Because every franchise ever has to be an FPS nowadays.

#49 Edited by AndrewB (7814 posts) -

Let's list off other classic board games that can be made into movies and FPS games based off those movies.

• Connect Four!
  • Sorry!
  • Crossfire!
  • Thin Ice.
  • Trouble.
  • Mousetrap.

Bonus:

#50 Posted by spiceninja (3239 posts) -

Activision, keeping the dream alive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.