Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BattleTech

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 24, 2018

The first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over twenty years.

Battletech funded today, nearly 2.8mil raised

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Giantstalker
    As much as I love tanks, I know who I'd bet on here
    As much as I love tanks, I know who I'd bet on here

The totals are in today and I'll let Kickstarter speak for itself here:

41,733 backers pledged $2,785,537 to help bring this project to life.

So now that we know it's happening, the following features have been confirmed:

• A base skirmish game
    • Singleplayer campaign w/story
    • A more open Mercenary campaign
    • PVP Multiplayer (reached less than 48 hours before the KS campaign closed)

I for one am really stoked for Battletech. I played a fair amount of Mechwarrior Online and, while it's a fine sci-fi vehicle-action game, I also know the older tabletop stuff well enough to know Battletech as a whole is more strategic in nature. I've kinda missed it for years.

This makes me want to pick up Harebrained's other games, Shadowrun: Hong Kong and Shadowrun: Dragonfall, as I wasn't exactly wowed by the original Shadowrun Returns. That said, a couple 100 ton assault mechs stomping around could do a lot to change my disposition on their style of game.

Either way, congrats to them! I hope (and even have some confidence) that this project really captures the tactical and strategic magic of honest-to-goodness Battletech

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Honestly I am just happy that someone else is getting a shot at the universe outside of Piranha Games; Mech Warrior Online was such a fantastic opportunity that turned into so much wasted potential (speaking as an initial founder). That it's Harebrained is a potential plus, at least as far as SP goes, it remains to be seen if they can make a deep tactical system.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@giantstalker: Dang, this totally slipped by me. It's the kinda thing I would have considered backing, although I do already have 2 KickStarters on the go to be fair...

Also, you play MWO? I've never managed to connect with anyone else who plays that game. I thought it was cool, in fact it was the first F2P game I ever put money in to. I should go back and see how it is, I just assumed it was dead by now.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By hassun

Reaching 2.5mil for PVP multiplayer was essential in my opinion. I'm glad that they did.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to this. I've discovered the old Front Mission games recently and was also looking for a similar experience but new fancy graphics/physics etc. Happened to come across the kickstarter while searching google for mech games. I've played some of the MechWarrior games in my younger days and also have MechCommander but had no idea this kickstarter was happening.

I backed it but unfortunately Kickstarter seems to be unable to charge either of the cards I've given it. No idea whats wrong. I'll try it again later.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably very selfish but I wish they hadn't hit the pvp goal. I find once you put in MP into these games that's where all the developer focus ends up when really this should be a quality Mech Commander type game.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: This was actually one of my thoughts as well. I have no interest in a multiplayer mode in this type of game (or most games actually)

Makes me think how many people actually want a multiplayer mode in it. Just because a game reaches a certain amount where you could afford to do multiplayer shouldn't necessarily mean it has to. Would have been interested to see if they ran a poll of people who were interested in that aspect. I'd rather that extra hundreds of thousands be spent on improving the core game.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@seikenfreak: @hayt: I feel the same way. Also worth noting Hairbrained schemes have made some short games previously, so you could think maybe more budget could make them make a longer campaign. That has been my biggest issue with their Shadowrun games.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@seikenfreak:To be fair, the core Battletech product was a competitive tabletop game between two opponents. So for a lot of fans being able to play against another person is a pretty important part of the experience. Myself, as a backer, I'm thrilled to see multiplayer make it in but it was never a make-or-break feature for me

@Bollard: Haven't played it in a bit (like a few weeks) but it's still got a fair number of players going at it. Not sure what the future holds for it as I kinda lapse in/lapse out of playing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.