Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 20, 2014

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed action brawler Bayonetta, this time with a two-player online co-op mode and exclusive to the Nintendo Wii U.

Why Wii U, why?

• 116 results
    Senno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Senno

"Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers..."

Platinum CEO Tatsuya Minami.

If that is truly the case, why bring the game to a system that isn't even out yet, doesn't have a built in fanbase, and won't be able to reach as many people as you would if you released it on the systems that the first title was on? Answer me that Platinum.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Senno said:

If that is truly the case, why bring the game to a system that isn't even out yet, doesn't have a built in fanbase, and won't be able to reach as many people as you would if you released it on the systems that the first title was on? Answer me that Platinum.

Because it wasn't their choice? Because Nintendo is the only company who actually gave a shit and decided to pick it up and publish the game for Platinum? Because the game was freaking cancelled when Sega decided to not bother with it and it would have stayed dead if the Wii U didn't give it another chance?

I hope this thread gets locked. This is fucking ridiculous.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikeGosot
    @Senno said:

"Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers..."

Because without Nintendo, this game would not exist. Simple as that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Senno said:

Because it wasn't their choice? Because Nintendo is the only company who actually gave a shit and decided to pick it up and publish the game for Platinum? Because the game was freaking cancelled when Sega decided to not bother with it and it would have stayed dead if the Wii U didn't give it another chance?

I've flagged it.

All of this crazy anti-Nintendo sentiment regarding Bayonetta 2 is fanboyism/fangirlism at its utmost idiotic.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By TobbRobb

It's so frustrating though. I'd really, honestly rather not have the game exist than just being teased by a console I don't have any other interest in... Kind of selfish I know, but god fucking dammit.

I reaaaaaally hope the Wii U get some good exclusives now... I can't in good conscience buy it for one game.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TruthTellah

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Senno said:

I've flagged it.

All of this crazy anti-Nintendo sentiment regarding Bayonetta 2 is fanboyism/fangirlism at its utmost idiotic.

I understand a certain level of displeasure over it being a Wii U exclusive, but people do need to realize that we probably wouldn't be getting a Bayonetta 2 without Nintendo. So, we'll just have to make the best of what we're getting and be glad we're getting anything at all.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Ace829

I wanna know where the hell the backlash was when Rayman Legends was announced exclusively for Wii U?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By MetalBaofu

I'm really glad it got picked up by Nintendo. It's great that the game gets to exist, but I won't get to play it anytime soon, or maybe ever. I have no intention of buying a Wii U before buying the next Xbox or Playstation, and I'm not sure if I will ever buy a Wii U at all.

@Ace829 said:

I wanna know where the hell the backlash was when Rayman Legends was announced exclusively for Wii U?

I have about the same feelings for Rayman Legends as I do Bayonetta 2. I'm glad it exists and would play it, but kinda bummed that I have no idea when, if ever, I will get the chance to.

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Dawglet

STOP FUCK STOP

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hailinel

@TruthTellah said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Senno said:

I've flagged it.

I understand a certain level of displeasure over it being a Wii U exclusive, but people do need to realize that we probably wouldn't be getting a Bayonetta 2 without Nintendo. So, we'll just have to make the best of what we're getting and be glad we're getting anything at all.

True, disappointment at being required to buy a new console to play it is one thing, but the vitriol in this case is ridiculously misguided.

@Ace829 said:

Don't worry. I'm sure that someone, somewhere out there is frothing at the mouth and pounding out an angry e-mail to Ubisoft and Nintendo as we speak.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Senno said:

I've flagged it.

True, disappointment at being required to buy a new console to play it is one thing, but the vitriol in this case is ridiculously misguided.

Well, think about Bayonetta fans. People who appreciate the over-the-top. I'd be surprised if many responses -weren't- a bit over the line.

I like the game, as well, but in talking with other fans, this kind of response to their niche cult classic going to a console they may not currently be sold on makes a decent bit of sense to me. It's a mix of both anger that SEGA would abandon it and disappointment that it will be on a platform they aren't currently planning on getting.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlightConfuse

its not hat hard. without nintendo this game does not exist. its ok to br disapointed but misguided hate is another thing

VariantX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VariantX

@Senno said:

Well, its pretty obvious when you look at the writing on the wall. Sega could have funded the sequel, but instead decided on restructuring and focusing their energies towards a few core franchises like sonic, PSO, total war etc that make them good money. This choice leaves the games in the publishing deal with Platinum out in the cold simply because those titles lack the sales legs of those others listed above. The other console manufacturers at that point could have stepped in and offered to publish or fund the game but they didn't either because of their own reasons. My guess with MS, just not caring simply because they have a laser-like focus of dominating the living room space by bloating XBL with hundreds of features that have nothing to do with gaming itself. Sony probably can't because they're just struggling to market their own handheld and can't seem to do simple things like actually put up tv ads that actually show the people what games it has and whatnot. Nintendo, who already has them working on one game, wants to bring in more third party support and core game titles to their system as they stated to people who were questioning if the Wii U would just have another deluge of party games. Nintendo was in the right place at the right time and Platinum wanted the game made and would have been stupid to turn down the opportunity.

To put it simply, more people ahead of nintendo had the opportunity to fund/publish the game, didnt want to, nintendo did, end of story.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Ace829

@MetalBaofu: Well, if there are already two games that you'd like to play on the Wii U now, wouldn't you want to at least consider getting it? My rule with new consoles is if there are three games I want to play then it's worth getting a console for those three. That's the way I got my PS3 (Uncharted 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and Demon's Souls). You could probably find one more game that interests you since the launch line-up looks really strong.

While I understand you wanting to wait for the PS4 and Nextbox, imagine how expensive those systems would be at launch and the price of their games might increase too because of the bloated AAA game budgets. Just giving my perspective here.

Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Revolver

They will probably port it to other consoles if sales are good and nintendo gives them an ok

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hailinel

@Ace829 said:

While I understand you wanting to wait for the PS4 and Nextbox, imagine how expensive those systems would be at launch and the price of their games might increase too because of the bloated AAA game budgets. Just giving my perspective here.

Yeah, this is something potentially very important to consider. Assuming that Microsoft and Sony go for another technological arms race focused on pure console power, the components to make their consoles will be that much more expensive, which will reflect in the prices of their respective machines. Unless they're willing to eat the manufacturing costs in order to lower the retail prices, they will in all likelihood not be able to compete with Nintendo from a pure price standpoint. And that willingness to eat such costs isn't necessarily going to be there. Microsoft lost a lot of money from pure console sales (and the cost to replace the insane number of defective units), and Sony had to strip features out of the PS3 in order to afford slashing its originally ridiculous price. Sony's also still trying to get people outside of Japan to buy into the Vita, and last I heard, their games division is one of the few parts of the corporation as a whole that isn't hemorrhaging money at the moment.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that's a pretty good argument for never releasing a game on a new system ever.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MetalBaofu

@Ace829 said:

@MetalBaofu: Well, if there are already two games that you'd like to play on the Wii U now, wouldn't you want to at least consider getting it? My rule with new consoles is if there are three games I want to play then it's worth getting a console for those three. That's the way I got my PS3 (Uncharted 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and Demon's Souls). You could probably find one more game that interests you since the launch line-up looks really strong.

The main thing here is just money. Two or three games is not even remotely close to enough to make me buy a console these days. The only reason I have a PS3 is because a friend sold it to me fairly cheap. I don't have the ability to buy all 3, I'll feel lucky if I can buy one. The price of the actual games isn't really a factor for me, because I rent everything through Gamefly. I rarely buy a game anymore. While the next Playstation and Xbox will surely cost more than the Wii U, I'm going to go with whichever one I feel will give me the most games that I want in the long run, because whichever one I get might be the only one I get.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By golguin

So what are people going to do when their franchise no longer appears on current gen and they have to buy a new console? Are they going to rage like this?

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Morrow

Well it's cool to see a sequel since I really enjoyed the first game, but I won't get a Wii U, so no Bayonetta 2 for me...

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By Hizang

Nintendo did a clever thing getting Bayonetta 2, the Wii U will sell more now just because of this game.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dungbootle

"when is bayonetta 2 gonna be on a REAL console? when am i gonna meet a REAL gamer girl?? *gazes out window* when will i ever really be loved"

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By iGooner7

Nobody wanted to publish the game! Platinum didnt find any publisher!

Nintendo is smart here and played it well! Reviving the game + exclusive

I can see the games fans buying the Wii U just for this game. As for me, im getting the Wii U anyways

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

@Hailinel said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Senno said:

I've flagged it.

@Ace829 said:

Don't worry. I'm sure that someone, somewhere out there is frothing at the mouth and pounding out an angry e-mail to Ubisoft and Nintendo as we speak.

Theres no need to act so above it either. Fans have a right to be upset and honestly I haven't seen a ton of vitriol about it, I see more anger at games getting released for Games for Windows Live on a regular basis. A ton of people loved the original and would kill to play the second. I'm guessing a large percentage of people that played the original Bayonetta, a hardcore, technically complex, overtly sexual beat 'em up on the PS3 and 360 are not the crowd that are going to be lining up to purchase the new Wii U and throw ninja stars at their TV. I loved the original Bayonetta and to me the sequal might not even exist if it's on the Wii U because guess what? I will never purchase that system. Not because I hate Nintendo, but because their lineup of games have long ago stopped being of any interest to me.

The only good thing that I, as a fan of the series, can take away from this is that maybe if the game will sell extremely well on the Wii U - which lets face it is doubtful - then maybe they will port it over to the other consoles or maybe have enough money to make Bayonetta 3 for all the next gen hardware.

If Skyrim was released for the Nintendo Wii only, or Halo, or Uncharted then fans would be a lot more angry than they are now. It's not anti Nintendo sentiment either. It's people wanting to play the second part of their favorite game and being faced with the choice of either not playing it at all and getting teased by footage that will be floating around or plunking down $200 for a brand new system just so they can play one game.

All of that isn't so outrageously ridiculous as you would make it seem.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ImpendingFoil

@Senno said:

@TobbRobb said:

It's so frustrating though. I'd really, honestly rather not have the game exist than just being teased by a console I don't have any other interest in... Kind of selfish I know, but god fucking dammit.

I reaaaaaally hope the Wii U get some good exclusives now... I can't in good conscience buy it for one game.

What the fuck is wrong with both of you. The first game just didn't do well enough and only because Nintendo decided they would be ok with losing a truck filled with money to build up come cred with a few hardcore gamers does this game exist. I'm sure Nintendo knows they will not see much of a profit from Bayonetta 2, but them bringing it out when nobody else would is really a great thing. This reminds me of when Microsoft spent a bunch of money with Sega to get Shenmue 2 and Jet Set Radio Future, it really wasn't about making sales with those games as it was getting the Japanese hardcore game loving crowd to notice their system. Without companies willing to spend money to get out a message there would be a lot of sad Bayonetta fans right now, though there still are which kind of leads to my next point.

I do not understand the sense of entitlement and fanboyism that some people vomit upon the world when they do not get the game they want. Since the whole Wii U has been announced there has been nothing but endless bitching about how something should just go to a different console instead. I know this is what happens whenever a new console is launched, it just seems a lot worse this time. I know a lot of people are upset they the Wii U will most likely be eclipsed in power by the new consoles next year, but until I pick up one of those consoles I will have fun playing Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Rayman Origins, ZombiU (I liked this one at the chicago event), New Super Mario Bros Wii U, and whatever the hell other games get announced.

You people just need to get the hell over yourselves.

/end early morning hangover rant.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I'll get a Wii U eventually (gimme a Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros, or a 3D world based Mario, and I'm in), and when I do, Bayonetta 2 will be out for it.

Call it a perk.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Phatmac

Ugh, get the fuck over it man. Get another hobby if you can't afford a Wii U and hate fun. Bayonetta 2 will only be available for Wii U and there is nothing you can do to change that. If you're mad about it than you have to step back and realize what you're actually getting mad at. Realize the situation and that this was the only way that Bayonetta 2 would ever be possible.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By GoofyGoober

@MikeGosot said:

@Senno said:

Because without Nintendo, this game would not exist. Simple as that.

Pretty much.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By kindgineer

Be. Fucking. Cause.

Deal with the fact that the Wii U get's a goddamned NICHE exclusive - it's not the end of the world. I know that sounds harsh, but holy hell are people going up in arms about a game that very likely most of those complaining didn't even play the first title.

Assumed Identity at it's finest.

(Note: This is not targeted at the OP in any way. Merely the topic)

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TobbRobb

@ImpendingFoil: What is wrong with me is that I'm a giant Bayonetta fan with a very very low income. I can't afford buying a new console for one game. Even if the game is the single greatest thing in existance.

And no matter how you see it, I never asked for a sequel. I never WANTED a sequel. I just want Kamiya to make cool games so I can play them. Hell. I'd prefer something new and fresh.

Add that it comes to a console I do not want, and is most likely not gonna live up to expectations and you get something that was probably better off not happening at all. There is no fucking way I'm alone in thinking this way.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ExplodeMode

Because, and I know this sounds crazy but hear me out, Sega doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

Just be glad someone wanted to put it out.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

@Ace829 said:

Yeah, this is something potentially very important to consider. Assuming that Microsoft and Sony go for another technological arms race focused on pure console power, the components to make their consoles will be that much more expensive, which will reflect in the prices of their respective machines. Unless they're willing to eat the manufacturing costs in order to lower the retail prices, they will in all likelihood not be able to compete with Nintendo from a pure price standpoint. And that willingness to eat such costs isn't necessarily going to be there. Microsoft lost a lot of money from pure console sales (and the cost to replace the insane number of defective units), and Sony had to strip features out of the PS3 in order to afford slashing its originally ridiculous price. Sony's also still trying to get people outside of Japan to buy into the Vita, and last I heard, their games division is one of the few parts of the corporation as a whole that isn't hemorrhaging money at the moment.

Much of the Wii U's cost is due to the controller and Nintendo's profit margins, however. Don't forget that the 360's base model launched only $50 more than the Wii at the time. Neither company will be going over $399 at launch, but the machines will be a significant leap over the Wii U, I believe. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

FUCKING GROW UP

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ImpendingFoil

@TobbRobb: I do not think it is wrong to be upset that you won't get to play a game. That is fine, I understand that. There are a few PC games that I would love to play but my PC isn't the most powerful around and I do not have the money to just go out and get a new one. I understand wanting to play a game and being upset that you cannot.

What I do not understand though is ranting about how you would rather not have a game exist because you won't be able to play it. You pointed out yourself that it was selfish to be like that and I agree. It is selfish and when you go posting online about how because there is something out there that you can't get and you would rather just have it not exist and deny all the other fans makes you seem a bit like an asshole.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lanechanger

It would have been nice if it was on a console that I have / would have gotten but I'm glad it exists at all.

I'm never going to get a Wii-U but I've recently learned to enjoy a game's visuals and story without the gameplay from "let's play" videos on youtubes (that's how I "played" games like silent hill shattered memories... I had to experience that twist first hand!) so I'll at least get to enjoy the ridiculous over the top cut scenes and the story that way.

Anyways I hope it does really well so there's a possibility of a Bayonetta 3 that will be on a console that I'd get... or on the PC! Now that would be money.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At this point I am happy that this game even comes out at all. Hopefully Nintendo starts publishing more of these well loved series that never found big audience or more experimental stuff.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#37  Edited By StarvingGamer

Why is this thread still a thing? Fuck.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Sega has been fucking Platinum over lately, so I'm glad Nintendo is doing what they can to help them out.  If that means Bayonetta 2 is a Wii-U exclusive, all that means is that I now have to buy a Wii-U, and be really happy that Sega isn't going to drive a fucking amazing developer into the ground with their bullshit.

DaveD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DaveD
    impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40  Edited By impartialgecko

I'd sacrifice not getting Bayonetta 2 for a better PS3 version of the first game. Had to wait a whole year to save up for a 360 to play the non-broken version.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SmilingPig

I think that Bayonetta 2 was canceled last year or something like that, so if Nintendo would not have picked it up it would not have come out at all.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

Looks like every post has the answer with some added var. All I can say is if platinum said what the OP said they did, there is perhaps a problem there...if you wish to care.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TobbRobb

@ImpendingFoil: I've been called an asshole before, doesn't really matter.

But you can see how it is horribly frustrating right? I mean, in a few months I'll either suck it up and buy it or just stop caring at all. But that doesn't change the feeling of everything about that project pissing me off.

I hope they do a good job with it and that everyone who wanted it has a good time. I'll stay in my corner looking with jealous eyes, until Platinum has Kamiya make something cool again.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Zekhariah

@Senno said:

At least Nintendo will be happy to help you play Bayonetta 2 :D.

I feel the same way about some of the x360 franchises (Halo Reach for PC please), but eh, that is how it goes when a platform holder bankrolls a title that would otherwise not go forward. Isn't putting out "core" titles like this as exclusives basically the thing that a lot of people criticized Nintendo for not doing on Wii?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alternate

If you believe that Game informer guy - SEGA had been offering it around for months hoping MS or Sony would kick in some money to fund it - Nintendo were the only ones that were interested.

Avatar image for mexican_brownie
    Mexican_Brownie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mexican_Brownie

I've seen some people say that a lot of negative reaction isn't out of hatred to Nintendo, but I wonder what the reaction would be like if Bayonetta 2 had been announced for the next Xbox and PS4 instead. I bet there would probably be a lot less bitching even though people would still have to pay a $300 + entry fee in order to play it. The Wonderful 101 looks amazing too so I hope these two games are successful and lead to more PlatinumXNintendo games :)

I can't wait, I loved the original Bayonetta and this announcement has motivated to go back and S rank it :P

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By Daneian

Man, I don't understand this. For three consoles, Nintendo has been criticized for lack of third party support, for not having mature titles. Platinum Games has two games announced on the WiiU and Nintendo is responsible for it. These games and Rayman Legends seem to be exactly like the kinds of titles people want to play, so why are we so mad about it?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlackLagoon

@alternate said:

If you believe that Game informer guy - SEGA had been offering it around for months hoping MS or Sony would kick in some money to fund it - Nintendo were the only ones that were interested.

Which makes you wonder just how much Nintendo has invested - it certainly doesn't make it sound as if they're funding the whole game as many are assuming, and SEGA would still own the IP.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By Humanity

@DaveD said:

@Humanity said:

Theres no need to act so above it either. Fans have a right to be upset and honestly I haven't seen a ton of vitriol about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42088136&postcount=2451

Yeah, no vitriol at all here.

I read like a dozen or so top comments and they were all in the likes of "I hope this goes multi platform; I have no interest in getting Wii U" which is hardly vitriol and sentiments I share as well.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Spiegel

People just need to understand that it was either having it on Wii U or not having the game at all.

What it really shows, though, is what Nintendo has become to most gamers. For many people, Nintendo is now basically a name to be ignored, to the point of them now having a great (kinda) mature third party game and people being upset about it. That's really sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.