Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Bayooonettaaaaaaaa

Atsou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Atsou
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I have had read many positive impressions of Bayonetta in the past. From critics to people on the gaming forums raving about how amazing of a game it is. Even though I read many positive impressions of it, and considered playing it many times in the past. I never got around to it because Bayonetta loves to show off her physical features such as breasts, and butt a bit too much for my taste. I felt that the creators were trying to cater to audiences that love the typical kind of games in which they overly sexualize women to sell more copies of their game. But as time went on (Far more worse things to worry about these days than something like nudity imo), I figured that I might as well give it a shot because it was re-released for the Wii U, and they managed to release a sequel as well. When Bayonetta 2 was released, people raved about how it was amazing. They keep on ramping up the action, and it just keeps on ramping up until it finishes with a bang. I pre-ordered Bayonetta 2, and never opened the game until recently. I finished Bayonetta 1, and I figured that I might as well write about it. We will begin with Combat, and move on from there.

Oozing With Style!
    Oozing With Style!

When I began playing the game, I was not sure what to expect (In most cases, I prefer to go in blind with video games because I prefer to be surprised than to know about the ins, and outs of game before I begin playing). I was falling down with a lady, and we were fighting some creatures. A big guy comes down, and I fought him as well. And when I say fought. I mean that I just kept on mashing random buttons in hopes that I land some cool combos. And then the sequence ended, and I moved another ridiculous cutscene (More on that later). These went on for a while, and then I was finally in the tutorial mode. They explained some basic controls about how to move around, and what buttons to push to do attacks. But they did not prepare me for the amount of different actions that I can perform in Bayonetta. The combat system is complex, and very diverse. You can combine multiple combos with weapons like claws, swords, and guns (There was one more weapon that I never managed to unlock). I don't think that I fully understood the combat system at all, and I feel that if a person spent the time to learn the combat system. They could pull off some really amazing combinations of attacks. Even though I did not understand it. I was able to complete the game on normal mode, and each time I defeated an enemy, or dodged an enemies attack to go into Witch Time (Everything slows down except Bayonetta), it felt really awesome. The balance in this game on normal mode was fantastic. I had to constantly eat the health leafs, and sometimes I had to use the invincibility leaf (limited time) to beat a boss fight, or just a pack of monsters. And speaking of monsters, there was a large variety of them!

No Caption Provided

There was a large variety of monsters introduced as I progressed through the opening chapters. it started with simple minion angels, and expanded up to huge behemoth monsters that were part of the regular enemy crew. The bosses were unique, and exciting to fight. Each one requiring a newer way to damage them, and kill them. They were some of the best boss fights that I have ever fought in video games. The cinematic cutscenes in this game were top notch. They were in some cases on the same level as Asura's Wrath. I really loved almost everything about the enemy design, and the level design. The only flaw that I found in this category was that there were not as many new enemies introduced in the later stages of the game. I mostly fought the same type of enemies, but in different packs. I chalk this up to the fact that it was a new game in development, and they must not have had the budget to draw more creatures for the players to fight. Nonetheless, the design of this game was superb. And with that said, moving on to the ending. Spoilers ahead!

No Caption Provided

Beware! Readers beyond this text will learn forbidden knowledge (Endgame spoilers)..When I defeated the final boss (It was easier than I imagined), the credits began to roll. I thought it was over, and the game was finished. And then suddenly, they stopped rolling. And another cutscene had begun. I had to save the world even though I had defeated the final boss because the boss was originally a statue. Pieces of the boss were going to fall straight to the world, and destroy it. I shattered the falling rocks, and saved the world. Again. After a few more cutscenes the real credits began to roll. But the game was still not over. I began to play some of the scenarios that were setup for me, and I had a time limit to finish them at a specific time, or else I would fail them. After going through the real credits, it still was not over (I know, I know)! There was a five to ten minutes of Bayonetta dancing with various protagonists, and antagonists. That was very strange, and I felt that I should watch through it all to fully embrace what I had just experienced. This game has the best end credits that I had ever experienced. It did not have the greatest story, but that was not the point of playing Bayonetta. It was the the combat, level design, and enemy encounters that made this game a blast to playthrough. I highly encourage others (If you're capable) to try this game out. If the games complexity is too daunting, there are two modes for you. Easy mode, and very easy mode. Both make playing Bayonetta a much relaxing experience (From what I have seen of it), and you will still get to enjoy the game because she does all of her super awesome moves with a push of a button. I am really looking forward to playing Bayonetta 2 soon, and will most certainly write about it after I have completed it. Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful day!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.