Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Finished Bayonetta

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

Man, what a  crazy game.  Imagine a game director who just wanted to throw every little idea into a game and you might get something as crazy and over the top as this game.  At it's heart, this game has one of the best 3rd person combat mechanics yet.  While the camera angles can be a bit funky, the action as been smooth and the combos seem to flow naturally.  It seems like this system has a bit of button mashing involved but has depth to it for those who want to master the system (not that I ever mastered it though).  One of the things that I really appreciated about this game is the checkpoint system.  Now that I'm a bit older and really don't have that much time for games, I'd like a chance to finish a game or two nowadays.  In games like Devil May Cry when you die, you use a continue that you had to buy (and the continues got more and more expensive) or you restarted at the beginning of the level.  Bayonetta has a really forgiving check point system where if you died, you not only have unlimited continues (it does take away from your end of the chapter score if you use it though), but you start at the beginning of each sub-chapter (or "verse" as it's known in-game).  Not only that, you start the continue with full health.  Makes finishing the game much more tangible for those that do not have the time or skill to play a really hard section of a game over and over again just to pass it.  I really appreciated that.  The game even had mid-boss checkpoints as well so you didn't have to fight the entire battle over again if you died in the middle of the battle.

When I first hear about this game, the director mentioned that he wanted to make the game "climax" based.  What i've taken that to mean is that every level is really over the top and crazy.  First level in the game is a level where you are fighting on top of a church tower that is falling down.  Almost every action setting in the game is over the top and really fun to play.  I really appreciated how varied the levels, environments, and even the game types where.  

You can tell there a lot of attention was paid in making this game.  I really liked some of the little touches like the mid-level map where it showed your progress.  It's a map that has an "old film" feel where you are represented by this little toy Bayonetta and gets moved from one place to another.  What the hell does this represent in game?  I idea but I liked the way it looked.  Also, in between levels there is this shooting mini-game where you shoot enemies for extra bonuses.  Does this make sense for the game fiction?  Not at all, but who cares?

I also enjoyed the music in the game.  The overall game music is a combo of a jazzy, ominous, techo theme and every once in awhile, a techno-dance version of "The Way You Look Tonight" comes around.  While totally odd, I found the soundtrack to be endearing and memorable.  Unique at worst.

Not everything it the game is all peaches though.  The story--totally crazy and a bit hard to understand.  I did like the story enough to enjoy the craziness, but  really hated the "film-based" cutscenes.  These scenes were more like those new motion comics when a film border.  I never really like the way they were presented.  Also I really couldn't stand Luca, the male non-playable, character in the game.  I found him just kind of annoying and kept wondering what the hell was he doing in this game?  The kiddo in the game was kind of obnoxious  as well.

I loved this game for the over the top scenarios, crazy music, non-stop action, great graphics and fun main character.  Not a perfect game, but one that really hit the spot for me.  Hopefully more games like this will come out.  While people are moving more to "reality" I think that games are better when they are "hyper real".
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By JCGamer

Man, what a  crazy game.  Imagine a game director who just wanted to throw every little idea into a game and you might get something as crazy and over the top as this game.  At it's heart, this game has one of the best 3rd person combat mechanics yet.  While the camera angles can be a bit funky, the action as been smooth and the combos seem to flow naturally.  It seems like this system has a bit of button mashing involved but has depth to it for those who want to master the system (not that I ever mastered it though).  One of the things that I really appreciated about this game is the checkpoint system.  Now that I'm a bit older and really don't have that much time for games, I'd like a chance to finish a game or two nowadays.  In games like Devil May Cry when you die, you use a continue that you had to buy (and the continues got more and more expensive) or you restarted at the beginning of the level.  Bayonetta has a really forgiving check point system where if you died, you not only have unlimited continues (it does take away from your end of the chapter score if you use it though), but you start at the beginning of each sub-chapter (or "verse" as it's known in-game).  Not only that, you start the continue with full health.  Makes finishing the game much more tangible for those that do not have the time or skill to play a really hard section of a game over and over again just to pass it.  I really appreciated that.  The game even had mid-boss checkpoints as well so you didn't have to fight the entire battle over again if you died in the middle of the battle.

When I first hear about this game, the director mentioned that he wanted to make the game "climax" based.  What i've taken that to mean is that every level is really over the top and crazy.  First level in the game is a level where you are fighting on top of a church tower that is falling down.  Almost every action setting in the game is over the top and really fun to play.  I really appreciated how varied the levels, environments, and even the game types where.  

You can tell there a lot of attention was paid in making this game.  I really liked some of the little touches like the mid-level map where it showed your progress.  It's a map that has an "old film" feel where you are represented by this little toy Bayonetta and gets moved from one place to another.  What the hell does this represent in game?  I idea but I liked the way it looked.  Also, in between levels there is this shooting mini-game where you shoot enemies for extra bonuses.  Does this make sense for the game fiction?  Not at all, but who cares?

I also enjoyed the music in the game.  The overall game music is a combo of a jazzy, ominous, techo theme and every once in awhile, a techno-dance version of "The Way You Look Tonight" comes around.  While totally odd, I found the soundtrack to be endearing and memorable.  Unique at worst.

Not everything it the game is all peaches though.  The story--totally crazy and a bit hard to understand.  I did like the story enough to enjoy the craziness, but  really hated the "film-based" cutscenes.  These scenes were more like those new motion comics when a film border.  I never really like the way they were presented.  Also I really couldn't stand Luca, the male non-playable, character in the game.  I found him just kind of annoying and kept wondering what the hell was he doing in this game?  The kiddo in the game was kind of obnoxious  as well.

I loved this game for the over the top scenarios, crazy music, non-stop action, great graphics and fun main character.  Not a perfect game, but one that really hit the spot for me.  Hopefully more games like this will come out.  While people are moving more to "reality" I think that games are better when they are "hyper real".
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Marcsman

What system?
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

Everything, except the stupid QTEs that give a split second to finish, are awesome.

Those damn QTEs that always end up dropping my grade to the lowest level... I didn't have any will to play through the game again, unlike DMC3 which I played to death.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By RobotHamster

Yea I really enjoyed Bayonetta a lot too.  I played it just a few months ago about a year after it came out and I'd wish I played it sooner, such a fun game.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

It's one of my favorite games this gen.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By PerryVandell

Bayonetta was an absolute blast to play, even though the story was non-sensical and you fought the same boss practically 14 times. Also, describing that game to friends was almost as enjoyable as playing the game itself :).

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Bayonetta is definitely one of my favorites.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

I finally picked it up, can't wait to start playing.

@animateria said:
    "stupid QTEs"
    Dang, is there a lot of them? I don't care if they're easy or hard, QTEs just plain suck regardless.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer
    @ProfessorEss: There aren't very many of them, but their rarity is what makes them worse. Since you aren't expecting them and there's no real great indication of when they're coming, they're super easy to miss. Even during my under 8 hours second playthrough on hard for a contest, nothing killed me more than a sudden QTE prompt I wasn't expecting.

Still, great game. Probably one of my personal top 10.
    Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Ktargo
    @ProfessorEss: There's very, very few. Maybe like 5 through the whole game if memory serves. But they come up so unexpectedly and give you almost no time to react that they just suck. Missing it means you die, and I think you come back with less health afterwards. The checkpointing is generous around them but your level score goes down because you lose points if you die. If you don't care about that, then they are mainly just a minor inconvenience that don't really need to exist.

I played the game a few months ago and loved it. The boss battles were mostly very thrilling and as inconsequential as the story was, the characters and cutscenes were fantastic, a joy to watch. I'm looking forward to going through it again on a higher difficulty as soon as I have a little more free time.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @StarvingGamer: @Prototype072: Maybe the game will prove me wrong, but I'd take very few shitty ones over lots of good ones any day.

Thanks for the quick responses, I was a little worried for a minute there that I just got myself into a QTE-fest.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By spankingaddict

What can I say, it's my 2010 GOTY.

I wonder if there will be a sequel..........

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael

You should play through it again on Hard if you enjoyed it. Everyone who enjoyed it should.

See, Hard in Bayonetta is not like Hard in other games, where the developers usually just raise enemy hit points, damage and aggression. No, in addition to that, almost every single fight has different enemy groups. In the spot where you previously just fought a Grace and a Glory, you're now fighting three of them, and then two more. In the spot where there were previously just Affinities and Applauds, there are now Ardors to help them out. It almost feels like you're playing a new game.

Also, you get to keep all the weapons and abilities you collected during your first playthrough, so you can zoom around on those awesome magic skates and pull in enemies with that cool demonic whip right from the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.