Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

I don't understand.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo

Why are a lot of people excited for this game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you're a bad person for wanting to play the game, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

Please, I'd like to hear on what makes the game a must-buy for you.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By donchipotle

-Made by dudes what made God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami

-An action game that isn't button mashy like so many others in the genre

-Difficulty on par with God Hand, meaning difficult but fair

-Over the top crazy action is a-okay by me

hungrynun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By hungrynun

Kamiya is involved.

Kamiya.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By bacongames

Because people are finally seeing a definitive follow-up to what the Devil May Cry series started.  I love God of War but there's more than one way to do an action game and not only is the other major (read: Devil May Cry) style being addressed, it's utterly ridiculous.  

I mean you have your God of War style game, your Devil May Cry style game, and your Zelda style action game and we're getting successors to all that in Q1 2010 with God of War/Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, and Darksider respectively.

FartyMcNarly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By FartyMcNarly

Tits

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Tuffgong said:
    " Because people are finally seeing a definitive follow-up to what the Devil May Cry series started.  I love God of War but there's more than one way to do an action game and not only is the other major (read: Devil May Cry) style being addressed, it's utterly ridiculous.    I mean you have your God of War style game, your Devil May Cry style game, and your Zelda style action game and we're getting successors to all that in Q1 2010 with God of War/Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, and Darksider respectively. "
    Thing is, is that I've played the Devil May Cry series and enjoyed most of them. Yet with Bayonetta, I don't seem to be having such a good time. I haven't laid a finger on the God of War nor Zelda series, due to me never owning a Nintendo console and only once owning a PlayStation 3.

However, you have given me some insight which I didn't see before when trying to think this over myself.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

There are many reasons it's a must-buy for me, but the main one is the combat. Bayonetta has the deepest, most engaging combat I've ever seen in a game.

Oh, and this:
    @hungrynun said:

"Kamiya is involved.

Kamiya."
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By donchipotle
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    " Because people are finally seeing a definitive follow-up to what the Devil May Cry series started.  I love God of War but there's more than one way to do an action game and not only is the other major (read: Devil May Cry) style being addressed, it's utterly ridiculous.    I mean you have your God of War style game, your Devil May Cry style game, and your Zelda style action game and we're getting successors to all that in Q1 2010 with God of War/Dante's Inferno, Bayonetta, and Darksider respectively. "
    Thing is, is that I've played the Devil May Cry series and enjoyed most of them. Yet with Bayonetta, I don't seem to be having such a good time. I haven't laid a finger on the God of War nor Zelda series, due to me never owning a Nintendo console and only once owning a PlayStation 3.  However, you have given me some insight which I didn't see before when trying to think this over myself. "
    The thing is, people expecting Bayonetta and DMC to play similarly are going to be disappointed. Not saying you are one of the people like that, but it's a complaint I've seen elsewhere. Though they are fronted by the same dude, they are different games when it comes to how the combos and attacks work.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    " -Made by dudes what made God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami  -An action game that isn't button mashy like so many others in the genre  -Difficulty on par with God Hand, meaning difficult but fair  -Over the top crazy action is a-okay by me "
    Play the demo. It is nothing but button mashing.

It isn't my type of game OP, you're not alone.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By donchipotle
    @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " -Made by dudes what made God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, and Okami  -An action game that isn't button mashy like so many others in the genre  -Difficulty on par with God Hand, meaning difficult but fair  -Over the top crazy action is a-okay by me "
    Play the demo. It is nothing but button mashing.  It isn't my type of game OP, you're not alone. "
    I have played the demo.  Button mashing will only get you so far. It really isn't a button masher.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By bacongames
    @FlamingHobo said:

" @Tuffgong said:

Thing is, is that I've played the Devil May Cry series and enjoyed most of them. Yet with Bayonetta, I don't seem to be having such a good time. I haven't laid a finger on the God of War nor Zelda series, due to me never owning a Nintendo console and only once owning a PlayStation 3.  However, you have given me some insight which I didn't see before when trying to think this over myself. "
    I only speak about its appeal and what people are sorting it as.  The quality of that game is up to the reviewers and the public after its release but it's closest to Devil May Cry in what it tries to do.  If you wanted to know why people care about it, there it is.  That and it's mad Japanese crazy with boss fights just as crazy.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flaminghobo
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    The thing is, people expecting Bayonetta and DMC to play similarly are going to be disappointed. Not saying you are one of the people like that, but it's a complaint I've seen elsewhere. Though they are fronted by the same dude, they are different games when it comes to how the combos and attacks work. "
    You'd be right in saying I am one of those people. I didn't seem to get the same level of satisfaction that I had playing Devil May Cry 3 a few years ago. Since I was sorely disappointed by Devil May Cry 4, I was hoping that Bayonetta would kindle my love for this type of game once again. Whilst it does look competant, it just doesn't feel right for me.

@Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    Play the demo. It is nothing but button mashing.  It isn't my type of game OP, you're not alone. "
    Thanks, it's nice too know.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flaminghobo
    @Tuffgong said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:

" @Tuffgong said:

I only speak about its appeal and what people are sorting it as.  The quality of that game is up to the reviewers and the public after its release but it's closest to Devil May Cry in what it tries to do.  If you wanted to know why people care about it, there it is.  That and it's mad Japanese crazy with boss fights just as crazy. "
    Yeah, the Japanese seem to love the over the top boss battles.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donchipotle
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @Tuffgong said:
    The thing is, people expecting Bayonetta and DMC to play similarly are going to be disappointed. Not saying you are one of the people like that, but it's a complaint I've seen elsewhere. Though they are fronted by the same dude, they are different games when it comes to how the combos and attacks work. "
    You'd be right in saying I am one of those people. I didn't seem to get the same level of satisfaction that I had playing Devil May Cry 3 a few years ago. Since I was sorely disappointed by Devil May Cry 4, I was hoping that Bayonetta would kindle my love for this type of game once again. Whilst it does look competant, it just doesn't feel right for me.

To each their own. Sometimes people just like different types of games and can't really explain in any sort of great detail why it is the right type of game for them. But with a bunch of action games, sometimes it's nice to have something that is crazy and doesn't take itself seriously.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Icemael
    @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    Play the demo. It is nothing but button mashing."
    Everyone who has played the full game has said that the enemies in the demo were extremely weak. From what I've understood, they're just punching bags to let players get a grip on the combat before facing any real challenges -- unless you play on one of the easier difficulty levels, button mashing won't get you anywhere in the actual game.
    lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lukeissxc

Play the demo on Easy. You can totally masturbate while you play... 

Err..not that i've actually tried of course >.>
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flaminghobo
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @Tuffgong said:

To each their own. Sometimes people just like different types of games and can't really explain in any sort of great detail why it is the right type of game for them. But with a bunch of action games, sometimes it's nice to have something that is crazy and doesn't take itself seriously. "
    If all games took themselves seriously, I don't think I would still be playing them. :)
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Whisperkill

Best combat system around. If you don't think so, then you haven't played many action games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @FlamingHobo said:

" Why are a lot of people excited for this game? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say that you're a bad person for wanting to play the game, but I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Please, I'd like to hear on what makes the game a must-buy for you. "

I've posted a series of video interviews in my latest blog in the OP. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/linkyshinks/bayonetta-any-buyers/30-36300/ 

It's primarily the games core, it's combat system which is the product of extreme labour on the part of PlatinumGames (ex Clover Studios). They spent an obsessive amount of time working on the games combat system alone, before anything else was designed. (-that's how it should be done always imo) It's very well devised and takes the genre to the next level, which was always the games goal.  As you may already be well aware, Bayonetta's gameplay is full to the brim with what looks likes utter chaos, but it's ordered chaos, ordered because the foundation of the combat is so solid. You cannot have such chaos in any such videogame unless all cylinders are firing as far as the combat system.

Kamiya has been unhappy with where Capcom have taken the DMC franchise in his absence, his baby (- he made the first game, only I should add). this game essentially has been a outlet for him to cast off the past and innovate to bring the action genre back where it belongs. The term hack and slash would be an offensive term to apply to this game given the games depth in combat, it's far from hack and slash, which suggests mind numbing combat that allows few options to the player. The combat here goes way beyond that of Ninja Gaiden and God of War's.

If think the games distinct style may put off a few people, but I personally love it because I know exactly where it derives from and I appreciate it. It has really grown on me, I see that it's very much an essential part of the comedy found in this game. 

Bayonetta is one of only a few videogames that seems to embrace the fact it's a videogames, it's celebrates the fact with beautiful chaos and fantastic gameplay.  

@Snail:

It's the prologue of the game, a few levels which aim to familiarize the player to the controls, ultimately allowing them to experiment. If you think the entire game is easy or button mashy,, you couldn't be more wrong. This game will demand that players grow accustomed to the controls and learn the combo's. If you even attempt play like that in latter levels, you'll get your arse whipped severe - fact.  
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

It's made by Platinum games. that's really all you need to know. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Madworld, the upcoming Infinite Space, these guys are masters of their craft. I hold them in high regard because they don't just stick to one genre, yet every thing they touch turns to platinum.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cstrang

I didn't realize that the developers had such a pedigree, but, all the same, Bayonetta will not be a Day One purchase for me.  I'll consider getting it when the price tag drops a bit.  I'm not a huge fan of the control scheme or the camera.  But the story does interest me a bit.  I'm curious to see where they go with it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Diamond

The gameplay seems really solid based on the demo, but what really gets me is the promise of plenty of Japanese crazy.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RsistncE
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    I have played the demo.  Button mashing will only get you so far. It really isn't a button masher. "
    Yeah, but the same can be said about nearly every fucking action game out there nowadays. Button mashing will only usually get you through the easiest difficulty in any action game basically, so it's not just Bayonetta that requires less mashiness. Regardless whoever implied that other action games are mashy definitely didn't think it through before they said it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    I have played the demo.  Button mashing will only get you so far. It really isn't a button masher. "
    Yeah, but the same can be said about nearly every fucking action game out there nowadays. Button mashing will only usually get you through the easiest difficulty in any action game basically, so it's not just Bayonetta that requires less mashiness. Regardless whoever implied that other action games are mashy definitely didn't think it through before they said it. "
    No, because other action games are mashy in comparison.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Shadow

play the demo

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Shadow said:
    " play the demo, go into training and complete every lesson, then learn to perform every combo at will and take the new found skills into the open gameplay, where you can experiment by linking combo's. "

Corrected for truth. 
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheMustacheHero

No Caption Provided
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By xyzygy

If you don't find the combat absolutely brilliant and deep, then you're not playing the game right. It honestly has some of the best combat I have ever seen in a video game.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    Yeah, but the same can be said about nearly every fucking action game out there nowadays. Button mashing will only usually get you through the easiest difficulty in any action game basically, so it's not just Bayonetta that requires less mashiness. Regardless whoever implied that other action games are mashy definitely didn't think it through before they said it. "
    No, because other action games are mashy in comparison. "
    Says you. Just because you guys love the game (which is fine by me) doesn't mean all of a sudden you can claim all other action games are mashy (implying relative simplicity) in comparison. From what I've seen and played it's just a very different action game is all.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shadow
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Shadow said:
    " play the demo. "
     Corrected for truth.  "
    re-corrected.  Play it how you want
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icemael
    @RsistncE said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    Says you. Just because you guys love the game (which is fine by me) doesn't mean all of a sudden you can claim all other action games are mashy (implying relative simplicity) in comparison. From what I've seen and played it's just a very different action game is all. "
    The game being good is my opinion. The game being far deeper than most other action games is not. If you were to make a list of moves and ways to string them together for every action game, I seriously doubt any of them would come close to Bayonetta -- and I know none of the big ones(Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden) would.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jeffsekai

Demo was amazingly fun. Trailers are awesome and reviews have been perfect,

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Meltac
    @VelvetLore04 said:
    @hungrynun said:
    " Kamiya is involved.

Kamiya. "
    @Whisperkill said:
    " Best combat system around. If you don't think so, then you haven't played many action games. "
    @AgentJ said:
    " It's made by Platinum games. that's really all you need to know. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Madworld, the upcoming Infinite Space, these guys are masters of their craft. I hold them in high regard because they don't just stick to one genre, yet every thing they touch turns to platinum. "

People have already said it, so yeah ..
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Milkman

I'm in the same boat as the TC. I just don't get it.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hungrynun said:
    " Kamiya is involved. (the dude who made Viewtiful Joe)

Kamiya. " (VIEWTIFUL JOE DUUUDEEE)

(also)OKAMI !
    Fixed*
    I hope this helps you out in understanding why this matters
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RsistncE
    @Icemael said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @RsistncE said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    " @Snail said:
    " @VelvetLore04 said:
    Says you. Just because you guys love the game (which is fine by me) doesn't mean all of a sudden you can claim all other action games are mashy (implying relative simplicity) in comparison. From what I've seen and played it's just a very different action game is all. "
    The game being good is my opinion. The game being far deeper than most other action games is not. If you were to make a list of moves and ways to string them together for every action game, I seriously doubt any of them would come close to Bayonetta -- and I know none of the big ones(Devil May Cry, God of War, Ninja Gaiden) would. "
    Just because a game doesn't have combo lists that go on for pages doesn't mean it's mashy in comparison to a game that does. Yeah the game is deep in regards to it's combo system. The fighting system though isn't much more complex or different than action games that have came out before and it's far from being this innovative new system. Regardless from what I played of both Bayonetta and Darksiders, my money is on Darksiders, it just seems like a more complete package while Bayonetta seemed more like a giant action orgasm.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I usually like these type of games, but the Bayonetta demo I did not like, one big problem I had was that the music was so fucking annoying. I cant wait for Dante's Inferno though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.