Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

The Story of Bayonetta? (Ultimate Spoiler)

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TsuHai

Hi, 

i just finished the game - oh boy. The final boss and everything after that is so incredibly awesome. I dont get why GB gave only 4 stars, but anyways : 

I really tried to understand the story but i couldnt really follow (which is a bummer because i think its presented really nice - just not so easy to understand), so id really like to try to put it together with you guys. 

Whats all about the two eyes - especially whats the red gem? Is Bayonetta's child really existent or just a crazy symbol for bayonetta herself? What about these strange clocks they carry? What is father Baldur's aim/motivation? Why did Jeanne and Bayonetta fight? Why did father Baldur kill Luka's father? And so on... 

Please post your interpretations of the story.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedHerb

This way madness lies....

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By hakunin

The red gem Bayonetta carries is The Left Eye of the World.  Cereza isn't a "symbol" for Bayonetta, she is Bayonetta as a child brought into the future.  I *think* the "strange clocks" are just Umbra jewelry or some such that all witches wear.  Baldur wanted to awaken Jubileus and create a new world.  Jeanne was brainwashed (or something) by the Lumen Sages to fight against her old friend and rival.  The Lumen Sages killed Luka's father because he getting close to uncovering their plans, he's the guy who wrote all those journals you find throughout the game.

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TsuHai
    @hakunin said:
    "The red gem Bayonetta carries is The Left Eye of the World.  Cereza isn't a "symbol" for Bayonetta, she is Bayonetta as a child brought into the future.  I *think* the "strange clocks" are just Umbra jewelry or some such that all witches wear.  Baldur wanted to awaken Jubileus and create a new world.  Jeanne was brainwashed (or something) by the Lumen Sages to fight against her old friend and rival.  The Lumen Sages killed Luka's father because he getting close to uncovering their plans, he's the guy who wrote all those journals you find throughout the game. "

Thanks for your relpy ! Some new insights... but :
    Why is Cereza brought into the future?  
    Why does Baldur want to create a new world? 
    Isn't Bayonetta an expelled Umbra-witch? (If so, why do they want Jeanne to kill her?) 
    What is this Left Eye of the World Gem for? I mean Baldur doesn't need it for Jubileus.

Don't you wanna know that stuff?
    Lilja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Lilja

Bayonetta herself is the left eye.  

• Cereza was there to awaken Bayonetta, the left eye's, true potential. To lure her to him among other  things I guess.  
    • Why wouldn't Baldur wanna create a new world? It's tradition apparently! And he's mad, so does he need a logical reason?  
    • Yes, Bayonetta was expelled. But all the other Umbra Witches died so what difference does it make? And the didnät want Jeanne to kill Bayonetta. Once again that had something to do wtih the awakening of the left eye, to get Bayonetta to realize her true potential so they could ressurect Jubileus. 
    •   Again, Bayonetta herself is the left eye.  The gem is just some awesome, magical artifact? Jeanne used it to shield her self from that blast if you remember?
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael
    @TsuHai said:
    "Don't you wanna know that stuff? "
    No. When I'm headbutting skyscrapers and quadruple-wielding guns that shoot lipsticks, I really couldn't care less about the story.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dbz1995

The story is that Bayonetta is Canadian. That is all.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SilvarusLupus

I like the story....and I understand it well, I think.  I watch too much anime...

Dungeonbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dungeonbuster

As best as I can guess...

Why is Cereza brought into the future?
    To awaken the Left Eye which is Bayonetta/Cereza. According to Balder, she had to see herself as a requirement of awakening the Left Eye in addition to all of the other experiences she had since emerging from her sleep 20 years earlier. She didn't know it was her, but perhaps her adventures in protecting her younger self helped to awaken more of her memories.

Why does Baldur want to create a new world?
    Not him, personally, he was more of a tool (he was the Right Eye) willing to do anything in order to resurrect Jubileus whose return would unify the Trinity of Realities. He had tried to resurrect Jubileus 500 years earlier and had failed when it broke out into open warfare.

Isn't Bayonetta an expelled Umbra-witch? (If so, why do they want Jeanne to kill her?) 
    Bayonetta was the daughter of an Umbra Witch but while her mother was an exile because of Balder, Bayonetta was raised in their order (even though she was considered an outcast). Jeanne had mental conditioning applied to her by Balder's power, turning her against Bayonetta in order to awaken her memories. After their last battle, the conditioning apparently broke allowing Jeanne to come to her senses.

What is this Left Eye of the World Gem for? I mean Baldur doesn't need it for Jubileus.
    The gems are just rocks meant to mislead. The entry on the "Eyes of the World" under Antonio's Notes has a picture of a gemstone 'claimed' to be part of a set named the Eyes of the World, but he goes on to say that no one really knows what they look like. The Cardinal Virtue, Sapientia, had said as much, calling Bayonetta's gem a "worthless rock", hinting only at the real Left Eye.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Teran
    @Icemael said:
    " @TsuHai said:
    "Don't you wanna know that stuff? "
    No. When I'm headbutting skyscrapers and quadruple-wielding guns that shoot lipsticks, I really couldn't care less about the story. "
    My thoughts exactly.  I kind of get the impression the story wasn't supposed to make sense.  Having a story that doesn't take itself seriously is better than having a "bad" story.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By makari

The gemstones themselves mean nothing more than a 'badge of office' so to speak. Father Balder had the power to open the right eye because he was single-minded, determined and devoted. He possessed the right amount of zeal and confidence that his conviction of wanting a new beginning would be recognised by the Creator. Bayonetta, in her 'original' persona was not strong enough, due to her doubts, her overall muddled memory, and her touch of weakness that was portrayed in Cereza when she was first met. Balder needed to let Cereza see and experience Bayonetta first-hand so that Bayonetta, as a matronly figure to Cereza, would instill the same kind of unwavering confidence and devotion in Cereza, which is what Balder needed Bayonetta to have to awaken her potential as someone who could, possibly, have the confident conviction of beginning a new history necessary to awaken the Creator. When Cereza was sent back in time, this changed the persona of the Bayonetta in the future, and the 'left eye' was opened.

Balder explains that a little brainwashing was required to get Jeanne to play her part in strengthening the resolve of Bayonetta.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Teran:
    I'm with you. Nothing that happened during the gameplay sections made any sense, so I'm not expecting the story that tried to pull it all together to make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.