Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

This game is awesome, just awesome

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TsuHai

At first, i diddn't like the pace and feel of bayonetta - i play it on xbox, and it reminded me of many not so good playstation titles -  i didn't like the demo too much either .  
    But then i bought it because of the good reviews - and man! This is the best game since , since ... i don't know. And i have played some good games ( fable, gta4, geras of war, bioshock and many more ), but this is more fun than all of them.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By fynne

I WAS really interested in it, but then I saw the IGN review on Bayonetta, and the PS3 version has some major issues.  That version still got a good score but I'm having second thoughts.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

That's a strange phenomenon, isn't it.  You just buy a game after not particularly enjoying the demo and end up loving it?  It happened to me with Dead Space last year.

I dunno, though.  I, too, didn't really enjoy the demo, and I have no plans to pick this game up while it has a price tag that has any number greater than $50 on it.

Izaak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Izaak

I just played the demo, and I thought it was a heap of shit.  
    The graphics/visuals were average at best, I had no idea what was going on throughout, and the cheesy J-pop music was really bad. Despite what people say, it was button-mashy as hell, I had way more fun playing the Dante's Inferno demo, and I didn't think much of that either.  
    Why the hell is this game getting so many rave reviews and perfect scores?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I doubt I'd find it better than all of those games you've listed but this is sounding like a very good game.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Teran
    @Izaak: If you don't like games in this genre stop playing them and expecting to like them.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

i didn't really like it that much. it was crazy and over the top, but it doesn't seem like a game for me. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee
    @AjayRaz said:
    "i didn't really like it that much. it was crazy and over the top, but it doesn't seem like a game for me.  "

Same, its an eventual purchase though. Maybe second hand copy or something.
    jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jvsexy

i heard its got longgg load times

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Luke

Nice!  Pretty glowing mini-review :)  

I can't wait to finally sit-down with the game myself later this evening. 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By m1k3
    @jvsexy: That is the only downside that i've experienced with Bayonetta. I have the Japanese import version (For PS3 obviously) and there are a lot of load times in it. From continuing a game, to bringing up the in-game menu or pause screen (this takes a few seconds when it should be instant), and also when you want to skip cut scenes (it takes a few second from pressing start to bringing up the Skip button) . Oh and also when you pick up  an item, it takes a lil bit to load of the description of the item.  Im really loving the game, but the load times do get annoying.
    RedHerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedHerb

Great game, but you have to expect that over the top (or under the crotch) stylishness. 

And seriously, I didn't think that the sexual inneundo would be so over done. It sways between embarresssing to hilariously corny.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By DukesT3

Whenever I'll pick up a 360 in a week or so I'll probably pick that game up along with it. Looks good and since I love Devil May Cry I'd probably like Bayonetta too. Can't wait! 

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jvsexy

I was really hoping to get this game. But the PS3 version is quite fuked up! its got watered down visuals and long load times which are NOT prevalent in the x360 version....I was about to win this item in ebay but luckily i didnt !!

maybe when its less than 50 bucks then ill think about it.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ttocs

I'm shocked they screwed up so badly on the PS3 version.  IGN had to make two seperate reviews because of the technical differences presented in both.  Luckily, I own both consoles, but I know some people who were looking forward to this game and only have a PS3.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Bought it on 360 last night. Been playing it ever since and yes the sexuality is out there. Lots and lots of crotch shots, and while you can play the whole game mashing buttons, the combat is actually really deep and if you cared enough, you can pull off some pretty wicked combos. Load times are not bad at all, and I really like the screens that let you work on combos while it's loading. The characters are great so far, and the voice acting can get really goofy and dramatic at times, and at worst I would still get a chuckle out of it. Seriously if you aren't afraid of totally badass women and like killing lots of shit in a violent manner, PLAY THIS GAME!!!!

TheLawyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheLawyer

I don't think i can take this game seriously at all. It just seems to me that they had to have a chick with huge tits do the most insane shit by pressing a combo of buttons and to make it feel rewarding, they make the bitch get naked... It's clear right? The more you do, the more skin you see. Do you really need digital tities to sell a game? I guess the sabotuer needed them, why not every game! Shiiiiiiit Dante's Inferno has some digital tits as well! This looks like the trend of 2010 guys. Except i don't know how all you guys playing bayoneta are going to be able to play correctly with a controller, lotion, tissues and your dick with only 2 hands...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pause422

Long as you don't only have a PS3, Its probably worth checking out, since that port is so terrible. My copy should come today, so I'm pretty happy to see how it is, I enjoyed the demo and there is a lot of depth there. Any game of this genre could be "button mashy" if that's all you do to play...that's your fault though, not the games, since the game does have a lot of depth to the combat, and its apparent fairly fast.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho
    @TheLawyer said:
    "

I don't think i can take this game seriously at all. It just seems to me that they had to have a chick with huge tits do the most insane shit by pressing a combo of buttons and to make it feel rewarding, they make the bitch get naked... It's clear right? The more you do, the more skin you see. Do you really need digital tities to sell a game? I guess the sabotuer needed them, why not every game! Shiiiiiiit Dante's Inferno has some digital tits as well! This looks like the trend of 2010 guys. Except i don't know how all you guys playing bayoneta are going to be able to play correctly with a controller, lotion, tissues and your dick with only 2 hands...

"
    This is not a serious game for serious gamers. Go play some self serious bullshit serious gamer, you're too good for this. And that problem you have, where breasts make you so uncomfortable, you might want to talk to someone about that. 
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @TheLawyer said:
    " I don't think i can take this game seriously at all. It just seems to me that they had to have a chick with huge tits do the most insane shit by pressing a combo of buttons and to make it feel rewarding, they make the bitch get naked... It's clear right? The more you do, the more skin you see. Do you really need digital tities to sell a game? I guess the sabotuer needed them, why not every game! Shiiiiiiit Dante's Inferno has some digital tits as well! This looks like the trend of 2010 guys. Except i don't know how all you guys playing bayoneta are going to be able to play correctly with a controller, lotion, tissues and your dick with only 2 hands... "
    I only play serious mature games for serious mature gamers such as myself.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By unchained

While I can totally see where the people who love this game are coming from....Bottom line, the game looks gorgeous and it's insanely fun, it just isn't my bag for a day one purchase. 

My major game purchase this month will have to be Mass Effect 2. In a month or two, when money is not quite as tight (I'm in a midst of a move from one city to another....brand new big ass mortgage), I'll probably pick this up, based on the number of glowing Critic and User reviews.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By Atlas

I'm completely torn on Bayonetta. Usually when a 360 game gets scores like that (above 90 on GameRankings and MetaCritic), I buy it almost unconditionally - there are some major exceptions, such as any Halo, Gears of War or Call of Duty game - but from what I've seen of it and having played a bit of the demo, nothing about it looks interesting to me. I do quite like some of the artistic merits of that game, but I find the sexual stuff off-putting. Usually I'm OK with Japan crazy, but this seems like too much to me. Also, I really didn't like Devil May Cry 4, and so knowing that pedigree is putting me off even more.

I think this one will have to be a rental, and then if it wows me, maybe I'll buy it, although maybe when it becomes cheaper. If the GiantBomb staff have good things to say about it, maybe I'll pick it up before then.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shulinchung

I felt the charaters and the sexual stuff disgusting when the game first announced. And I hate DMC with a passion even though I bought every DMC game and tried really hard to like them. So I was very worried because I respected Hideki Kamiya a lot and I don't want PlantinumGames to disapear. However, after I forced myself to buy this game due to universal praise and due to the fact that I think myself as a self-respected gamer(who shouldn't miss games that will become classics or have lasting influence) - and finished it just about a hour earlier, I think this game is really awesome. 
    It improved every aspect of the combat system of DMC that I didn't like. I no longer feel I don't have enough fingers during battle. The charater is even more cheesy and silly than that of DMC, but the game is completely self-aware. It utilize this silliness for a lot of the hilarious moment. The game is so light-hearted that it actually feels as if the developer laugh at people who take the sexsual stuff too seriously.
    If you think what was shown in the demo is hilarious, over-the-top, or, jaw-dropping, let me tell you, that's just the beginning. The game somehow manages to top that ridiculousness again and again chapter after chapter. The final battle is simply the most awesome battle in my recent memory, and needs to be experienced first hand for everyone who love action games. 
    Now I am starting to worried about God of War 3, because I think Krato's violence alone may not be enough to top that final battle I just witnessed in Bayonetta. :-)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @jvsexy said:
    " i heard its got longgg load times on PS3                      "

Corrected for truth.
    Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Daryl

Agree to disagree. 

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BionicMonster
    @jvsexy: on PS3 it has pretty horrible loads even in the menu but on 360 its only like 6 sec between stages and u can practice ur moves during
    aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aerious

I liked bayonetta for sure, Its a pretty damn good game, it's not sticking around my  place for long though, gonna try to beat it on hard and then get rid of it.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Crazy, and over the top. After an hour I called it quits. Way too weird for me. I mean, pop music while you're fighting? Sorry for those that like it but my friend and I seriously said "What did we just load into my 360?"

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Baillie

I'm not seeing the big appeal. The story itself is horrible and I do not care what the hell is going on, I just skip every cut scene since the disastrous start. 

The game play is all right, I guess. Nothing special. Mashing buttons doesn't really make you less competent than precise timing. 

I still have more to play, who knows. I can't see it upstaging God of War 3.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#30  Edited By Symphony
    @TheLawyer said:
    "

"
    Pretty sure I can't take you seriously, refering to a character as a "bitch". Very mature. And not to completely destroy your argument, but she doesn't even have huge tits nor are they ever a focus. 

Grow up.
    Corpulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corpulate

ok let it be known here and now ive seen a few wise people here but i just want to let you know everything being said about the PS3 Bayonetta is kinda blown out of proportion ALL THATS GOING ON IS LONGER LOADING thats it no framerate drop no stutters and just in case you were wondering the visuals and colors are just as deep and rich as its counter part i really respect all the hard working journalists on the multiple site that there are but please dont be swayed by what youve heard or read PS3 Bayonetta is fine as is the XBOX version just get it its awesome.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By pause422
    @Symphony said:
    " @TheLawyer said:
    "

"
    Pretty sure I can't take you seriously, refering to a character as a "bitch". Very mature. And not to completely destroy your argument, but she doesn't even have huge tits nor are they ever a focus.   Grow up. "
    if Bayonetta was made by Team Ninja, he would have one thing right. Regardless, its just a childish rant any way you look at it.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Corpulate said:
    " ok let it be known here and now ive seen a few wise people here but i just want to let you know everything being said about the PS3 Bayonetta is kinda blown out of proportion ALL THATS GOING ON IS LONGER LOADING thats it no framerate drop no stutters and just in case you were wondering the visuals and colors are just as deep and rich as its counter part i really respect all the hard working journalists on the multiple site that there are but please dont be swayed by what youve heard or read PS3 Bayonetta is fine as is the XBOX version just get it its awesome. "
    There are definitely big issues, but you're absolutely right, the game is still more than enjoyable on PS3. It blows my mind though that the game can transition from gameplay to cut-scene then back to gameplay without loading, but it needs 5-10 seconds to bring up the pause menu. I mean, WTF?

Outside of the technical stuff: I'm finding it a bit formulaic now though I must admit. Although Chapter 8 was so mental, I'm hoping it doesn't go back to the formula for Chapter 9.

Love the subtle SEGA and Alice In Wonderland references.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.