Video game composer Ben Daglish has passed away

#1 Posted by hassun (9946 posts) -
#2 Posted by stantongrouse (196 posts) -

Sad times, he scored the soundtrack to many of my childhood afternoons.

#3 Posted by geirr (3759 posts) -

Well that hurts.
RIP Ben Daglish, I'll never forget you.

I used to load up my C64 games just to listen to Ben's (and others') music while doing my homework, something that really confused my mom since she'd think I'd be playing video games instead. And I was like "No mom, I'm just listening to the tunes!"
Sometimes though I really wanted the Wilderness tune from The Last Ninja so I would have to speed run through level 1 just to hear it. I tried to explain to her that it was like finding the record you wanted to listen to (but also getting to play a game while doing so!).

#4 Posted by csl316 (14959 posts) -

I didn't grow up with the C64 so I'm not familiar with Ben, but those are some choice tunes. The composers thriving in the 80's did so much to influence game music today so I know he demands respect.

52 is such a young age, RIP.

#5 Posted by thelastgogeta (5 posts) -

Like csl316, I didn't grow up with the C64 or Ben's work but respect the legacy of the games that I missed. It is a real shame that he passed so early and I appreciate the tunes which were shared.

#6 Edited by pauljeremiah (225 posts) -

Love his music for the Last Ninja series, so sorry to have heard he has died, RIP Ben.

#7 Posted by Bunnyman (228 posts) -

Oh man. I remember knowing his name even as a young kid. Hubbard and Daglish were the big names. Huge impact on so many people.

Lung cancer. Very sad.

Thanks, Ben Daglish!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.