Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bethesda Softworks

Company »

Bethesda Softworks is an American publisher responsible for franchises like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, and more. Previously a part of Zenimax Media, Bethesda was purchased by Microsoft in September 2020.

Bethesda to sue Interplay??

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By L33tfella_H

I'm pretty sure this is just a dick move on Bethesda's part, as i believe (don't quote me on this...i Mean it!) the contract between them said 'any future Single-Player fallout games' will be under Bethesda's Ownership. Interplay had the rights to make the MMO, so there's no arguing against that, but i just think the reason behind the suing is silly (apparentaly buying old Fallout games deprives people from Buying Fallout 3).

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Crocio

Who didn't see this coming?
    Predictably, Interplay couldn't get funding for their project and thus failed on their side of the contract.
    That's business, and it can't be judged as "good" or "bad".

More importantly, this signals the end of interplay.  Quite a long time coming.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Berserker976
    @L33tfella_H: I'm pretty sure this isn't just a "dick move" on Bethesda's part, if you actually read the article it becomes pretty clear that Interplay breached the contract on several accounts, and Bethesda isn't even seeking monetary damages. I'ts a completely reasonable lawsuit.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " I'm pretty sure this is just a dick move on Bethesda's part, as i believe (don't quote me on this...i Mean it!) the contract between them said 'any future Single-Player fallout games' will be under Bethesda's Ownership. Interplay had the rights to make the MMO, so there's no arguing against that, but i just think the reason behind the suing is silly (apparentaly buying old Fallout games deprives people from Buying Fallout 3). "
    actually no they bought it outright then leased the license back to interplay to make an mmo which they were to secure funding for and had 2 years to begin development but never did, then theres the fact that after they pulled the licenseing bethseda that is interplay then hired another studio to start doing an mmo thus proving they had every chance in the world to start work but never did.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Berserker976 said:

" @L33tfella_H: if you actually read the article

...right... 

@WilliamRLBaker said:

actually no they bought it outright then leased the license back to interplay to make an mmo which they were to secure funding for and had 2 years to begin development but never did, then theres the fact that after they pulled the licenseing bethseda that is interplay then hired another studio to start doing an mmo thus proving they had every chance in the world to start work but never did. "

i remember when they announced that Bethesda bought the rights, they said Bethesda only got the rights to the main Fallout series and that the MMO license was still held by Interplay. Do you have a link i could check this out on?
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Berserker976
    @L33tfella_H: Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said they had breached their contract. They made deals with Gametap, Good Old Games, and Steam to release fallout games when they don't own the Fallout IP anymore, and Bethesda didn't sign off on the deal. Maybe if Bethesda was looking to get paid from all of this you might have a point, but again, they aren't seeking monetary damages. 

I didn't mean to offend you buy pointing out that the article contained a good case against Interplay.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Berserker976 said:

" @L33tfella_H: Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said they had breached their contract. They made deals with Gametap, Good Old Games, and Steam to release fallout games when they don't own the Fallout IP anymore, and Bethesda didn't sign off on the deal. Maybe if Bethesda was looking to get paid from all of this you might have a point, but again, they aren't seeking monetary damages.  I didn't mean to offend you buy pointing out that the article contained a good case against Interplay. "

Thing is though...the Fallout Collection has been on sale on GoG for a good while now (close to since they opened i think) and i think they're still selling Retail copies of the Fallout Collection (i have a White Label copy i bought last summer), it seems a bit odd that they filed the lawsuit AFTER interplay put the collection on steam. but i suppose Bethesda have a case here, also...Bethesda probably should've released the collection on steam themselves after they got the license...but that's just me thinking loudly.
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Berserker976
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " @Berserker976 said:

" @L33tfella_H: Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I said they had breached their contract. They made deals with Gametap, Good Old Games, and Steam to release fallout games when they don't own the Fallout IP anymore, and Bethesda didn't sign off on the deal. Maybe if Bethesda was looking to get paid from all of this you might have a point, but again, they aren't seeking monetary damages.  I didn't mean to offend you buy pointing out that the article contained a good case against Interplay. "

Thing is though...the Fallout Collection has been on sale on GoG for a good while now (close to since they opened i think) and i think they're still selling Retail copies of the Fallout Collection (i have a White Label copy i bought last summer), it seems a bit odd that they filed the lawsuit AFTER interplay put the collection on steam. but i suppose Bethesda have a case here, also...Bethesda probably should've released the collection on steam themselves after they got the license...but that's just me thinking loudly. "
    Good point about Bethesda not releasing the collection themselves, that does seem a bit weird. 

Also, I admit I'm not very adept at parsing law related stuff, and the article doesn't really go into a whole lot of detail, but unlike a lot of recent video game related lawsuits there's no money being asked to change hands, and that makes me willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Berserker976 said:
    there's no money being asked to change hands, and that makes me willing to give Bethesda the benefit of the doubt. "
    Really?

Then again.....What Money?(Interplay have been bankrupt/nearly bankrupt for like 8 years)
    Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Berserker976
    @L33tfella_H: Yeah, the last paragraph of the article lists Bethesda's demands, and it specifically says they aren't looking to get any money out of this, just that they want the court to  

" formally declare Interplay no longer has any rights to the Fallout name or trademark. It also wants the court to place a preliminary and permanent injunction on Interplay to stop it from selling any Fallout-branded products." 

And they want a written declaration from Interplay stating that they don't have rights to the Fallout brand.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @Berserker976: I suppose owning 100% rights to the entire Fallout Franchise is better than any money Interplay could scrounge up at this point.
    breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By breton

Soo.. I don't understand what's so wrong about what Interplay is doing. I guess they did violate the contract, but the contract says they can't sell the first three games anymore? That's mean.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Berserker976
    @breton: Well, it was their choice to give up the rights to Fallout in the first place, no one forced them to agree to it. And when you no longer have the rights to an IP, you can't really make money off it anymore, because if you did, you'd get sued by the company that you sold the rights to.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake

Now they're just getting a bit greedy over the Fallout label. I didn't know Interplay was still alive though, that was the most surprising thing to me.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cspiffo

It's sad but that's the way of things I guess.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @L33tfella_H said:
    " @Berserker976 said:

Thing is though...the Fallout Collection has been on sale on GoG for a good while now (close to since they opened i think) and i think they're still selling Retail copies of the Fallout Collection (i have a White Label copy i bought last summer), it seems a bit odd that they filed the lawsuit AFTER interplay put the collection on steam. but i suppose Bethesda have a case here, also...Bethesda probably should've released the collection on steam themselves after they got the license...but that's just me thinking loudly. "
    I do believe fallout trilogy is a very recent release i purchased it on steam and never noticed it before, and never noticed it for retail at wal-mart.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I wonder about the validity of this lawsuit, but I am glad that somebody is putting a bullet in Interplay once and for all.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB
    @breton said:

" Soo.. I don't understand what's so wrong about what Interplay is doing. I guess they did violate the contract, but the contract says they can't sell the first three games anymore? That's mean. "

That's not mean. That's exactly what they paid for, and it happens all the time in both the gaming industry and everywhere else. Interplay was out of money, and they knew full-well what they were doing when they had to sell off Fallout.

@ArbitraryWater:

The validity is laid out in the first few paragraphs of the article, and then mentioned multiple times throughout the comments in this forum.

Bethesda is absolutely right on this one. The only sad part is just how little they paid for full rights to a franchise like Fallout.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.