Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bethesda Softworks

Company »

Bethesda Softworks is an American publisher responsible for franchises like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, and more. Previously a part of Zenimax Media, Bethesda was purchased by Microsoft in September 2020.

Playstation 4 mods coming to Skyrim/Fallout 4, but no external assets allowed.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By paulmako

Bethesda announced yesterday that Fallout 4 and the upcoming Skyrim remaster and will both be getting mod support for Playstation 4, alongside Pro patches. The last we heard about mod support was a Bethesda statement basically saying that Sony weren't allowing them to implement mod support to their standard. Here is the caveat for the upcoming mod support:

You will not be able to upload external assets with your PlayStation 4 mods, but you will be able to use any assets that come with the game, as most mods do.

It sounds like you will only be able to use things already found in the games to create PS4 mods. Maybe Sony didn't want external assets being used and Bethesda were arguing that it was necessary, and eventually Bethesda compromised.

I never really messed around with Skyrim mods too much but I imagine this means no new weapon skins or Thomas the Tank Engine dragons. Is that the correct way to read that line?

It also mentioned that Skyrim Special Edition will render in native 4k on PS4 Pro.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can't turn the dragons in terrifying twisted macho Men what's the point in modding?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@paulmako said:

It also mentioned that Skyrim Special Edition will render in native 4k on PS4 Pro.

Hah.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think my most wanted mod out of all of this when they first started showing up was the one that would show full sentences at dialogue choices, so I'm not exactly devastated about this, but then again, getting this so late and half as good as the Xbox One version doesn't rally much excitement for me.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, this is better than nothing. At least you can tweak some values for things like archery and levelup rates. Making certain unique weapons not garbage is pretty important to me when modding Bethesda games.

@redyoshi said:

I think my most wanted mod out of all of this when they first started showing up was the one that would show full sentences at dialogue choices, so I'm not exactly devastated about this, but then again, getting this so late and half as good as the Xbox One version doesn't rally much excitement for me.

I thought that was going to be a cool mod too, then I realised all it does is expose how each response is essentially the same thing with implied tone that only very rarely changes the NPC's disposition towards you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Can I get rid of encumbrance in FO4? If so then I may go back and play more of that game. Not too worried about the external assets thing.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is great news. We don't need new art assets, or new sounds, or new models, or truly original content anyway. I mean, just because their largest competitor already offers actual proper mod support doesn't mean that Sony should. If there was anything important that could be used to make the game better, it would be in the game already.

Sony is completely in the right, here. Who needs truly new content anyhow, when you can just use more of what you already have. That makes perfect sense. I'm sure some "entitled vocal minority" will come along and try to say otherwise, but Sony knows better. As a show of good faith, I propose that Sony eventually develops the PlayStation 5 using nothing but hardware found in the PlayStation 4.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't care as long as there's a mod to remove the goddamn fog that makes the game so laggy, especially in Far Harbor.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone answer me this simple question: Does this mean we cannot get new weapons and armor skins? For instance, will I finally be able to use a damned cape on my badass Companion wolf man dude? Cause if I could wear a damned cape and throw the shield on the back, I'd be a content man.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I wonder if Sony is worried about getting sued for copyright infringement if they allow mods with new assets

Or if it's about nsfw ones.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I can't have clean faces and dong physics then I'm out!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bojackhorseman: You could make your PC into an NPC and have him hand out quests. You could probably make the quest reward a pipe pistol that shot nukes. Or a gun that shot baby Shauns. Or a baby Shaun that shot pipe pistols. Mods that delete objects from the world (including light effects, fog) for performance would work. Mods that replace the default textures with the same exact textures, but resized/compressed for performance? Nope.

But, if I wanted to create a model by exporting assets and smashing them together, like a mini gun with a baby Shaun on the barrel? No. If I wanted to import a cloak model I created that has a skeleton that uses physics to swing around in the wind? That'd be a for sure no.

@redyoshi said:

1.) Be careful for what you wish for. You don't always get what you were expecting.

2.) Huh. You know, sometimes, you wish for something and get something different.

3.) Don't be silly. Wishing for something just means you'll get something different.

4.) Be careful for what you wish for. Sometimes, you get something different.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre: And now I remember why I stopped playing halfway through.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Stop time ring is all you need.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Bethesda confirms / clarifies: No new textures, models, or audio of any kind. Even combining models is considered a new model, so expect this to be extremely limiting. If I had to guess, I would think that Bethesda believes that once this crippled mod support is available, players will demand that Sony allows proper mod support, once they see how broken and limited PS4 mods will be.

Loading Video...

@slag said:

I wonder if Sony is worried about getting sued for copyright infringement if they allow mods with new assets

Or if it's about nsfw ones.

I thought everything was still looked at by Bethesda before making it available to download. Can anyone with the Xbox One version answer this question? Is your mod catalog full of Batman skins and topless women?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically, no mod support on ps4 lol.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically, no mod support on ps4 lol.

Pretty much. It sounds a lot closer to Game Genie than it does actual mod support.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.