Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond Good & Evil

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 11, 2003

The story of a young, curious, and green-loving photojournalist named Jade, out to unravel an alien conspiracy on her home planet of Hillys.

HD remake feels kinda sloppy

8th_pacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 8th_pacifist

Just downloaded the demo, and I'm not sure what they did to it, but it doesn't play as well as it used to. They've somehow managed to make the camera even worse than it already was (and it was pretty shit in the first place), load times are longer (I guess because of higher res textures), and controls are in general less responsive. 

This isn't the rose tinted goggles talking. I went back to the PS2 version and it does play better. Though this one does look nicer.

I'm on the fence about buying this one. The original was quite good - not a masterpiece, but pretty simple and charming. I feel like I should buy it just to support the sequel, but I'm not sure I want to play it again only slightly worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de441812a230
    deactivated-5de441812a230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Dur... just played a couple of hours of the full version, and I have no idea what you're talking about. Load times seem fine, the camera seems the same to me, and the controls are the same. Did you bother playing past the first 15 minutes? Once you get past the little bit of tutorialising, the remake seems fine to me.  

My only complaint about this is that they didn't break out the audio levels into separate volumes for sound and music. The voices seem a little low in the mix, but then I usually play most games with subtitles, anyway.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cincaid
    @GravityProof: 
    Well, he/she said it was only the demo.

@8th_pacifist:
    And demos are often badly compressed and/or put together. Sadly they often don't reflect at all how the final product is.
    Superdude201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Superdude201

Aren't demos of arcade games just the final game, but it just stops you from going any further once you reach a certain point?

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By YoungFrey
    @CrazyChris said:
    " @GravityProof: 
    Well, he/she said it was only the demo.

@8th_pacifist: And demos are often badly compressed and/or put together. Sadly they often don't reflect at all how the final product is. "

On XBLA, the demos are always (as far as I know) the full version of the software, but with limited play.  Which is why when you buy them it's about 5 seconds to "download" the full version.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Kyreo
    @Superdude201 said:
    " Aren't demos of arcade games just the final game, but it just stops you from going any further once you reach a certain point? "
    Yeah... either that or they block certain features.  
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By JasonR86

I originally played this on the Gamecube.  I just bought the full-version it plays just as good as it did then. 

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By manhattan_project
    @8th_pacifist: Your nostalgia is showing.
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By project343

The loadtimes do seem a tad long, and the camera felt fish-eyed. Almost like all objects in the environment felt too close. Not a big deal at all--this game is a wonderful steal. Just a bit disorienting when navigating in-door environments.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Dreamfall31
    @8th_pacifist: I'd buy it just in the hopes it does well enough for them to finally decide to release BG&E2.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CL60
    @Manhattan_Project said:
    " @8th_pacifist: Your nostalgia is showing. "
    This.
    BaddArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BaddArt

Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing?  I bought it this morning and I've only played for about a half an hour.  However, the game has frozen twice on me.  The first time it froze after leaving Mommago for the first time and the second time it froze as the Tow truck was coming to bring me to Mommago.  I have a feeling that it might be my roommate's 360 but I'm not entirely convinced.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By borodin
    @CL60 said:
    " @Manhattan_Project said:
    This. "

@8th_pacifist said:
    " This isn't the rose tinted goggles talking. I went back to the PS2 version and it does play better. Though this one does look nicer. "
    That.  

Seems kind of silly to say he's being nostalgic when he actually went back and played an old version?
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By OldGuy
    @borodin said:
    " @CL60 said:
    This. "

@8th_pacifist said:
    " This isn't the rose tinted goggles talking. I went back to the PS2 version and it does play better. Though this one does look nicer. "
    That.   Seems kind of silly to say he's being nostalgic when he actually went back and played an old version? "
    Please, that was all the way in the SECOND paragraph! This is the internet, they don't have time to read that far into the post! Sheesh.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60
    @OldGuy said:
    " @borodin said:
    " @CL60 said:
    This. "

@8th_pacifist said:
    That.   Seems kind of silly to say he's being nostalgic when he actually went back and played an old version? "
    Please, that was all the way in the SECOND paragraph! This is the internet, they don't have time to read that far into the post! Sheesh. "
    It honestly doesn't matter if he went and played the original.. >.> The game plays the exact same.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By borodin
    @CL60: Well, it matters if you're saying it's just his nostalgia - and if all you're saying is "You're wrong" who am I, an impartial third party, supposed to believe?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60
    @borodin said:
    " @CL60: Well, it matters if you're saying it's just his nostalgia - and if all you're saying is "You're wrong" who am I, an impartial third party, supposed to believe? "
    You can still feel nostalgia if you went back and played the game.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By borodin
    @CL60: For load times? and the camera? O.k. I guess I know who I'm supposed to believe now.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
    @borodin said:
    " @CL60: For load times? and the camera? O.k. I guess I know who I'm supposed to believe now. "
    have you even played it? Camera is the same, and load times are like 2 seconds.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @CL60 said:
    " @borodin said:
    " @CL60: Well, it matters if you're saying it's just his nostalgia - and if all you're saying is "You're wrong" who am I, an impartial third party, supposed to believe? "
    You can still feel nostalgia if you went back and played the game. "
    I don't believe it works that way.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By borodin
    @CL60: No I haven't played either version. I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, it just seemed weird to me that you said he was being nostalgic about thing's he explicitly said he had a chance to compare directly, and then just say that he's wrong about those things being different. Have you gone back and played the original lately? Because one of you is presumably wrong about this, and because I haven't played either version, I have no way of knowing
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @borodin said:
    I don't believe it works that way. "
    Okay, I went back and played Goldeneye, I still think it's the greatest FPS in the world. No game is better than it. That is not nostalgia since I went back and played it.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @CL60 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @borodin said:
    Okay, I went back and played Goldeneye, I still think it's the greatest FPS in the world. No game is better than it. That is not nostalgia since I went back and played it. "
    He's saying that they play differently not his opinion of a game.  That argument doesn't make sense.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CL60
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @CL60 said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @borodin said:
    Okay, I went back and played Goldeneye, I still think it's the greatest FPS in the world. No game is better than it. That is not nostalgia since I went back and played it. "
    He's saying that they play differently not his opinion of a game.  That argument doesn't make sense. "
    But they don't play differently. >.> The only difference is one of them is widescreen.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @CL60 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @CL60 said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @borodin said:
    He's saying that they play differently not his opinion of a game.  That argument doesn't make sense. "
    But they don't play differently. >.> The only difference is one of them is widescreen. "
    I've had problems with demos that I didn't find in the full version.
    8th_pacifist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 8th_pacifist
    @CL60: The camera no longer turns to follow you when you move. This means you have to constantly micromanage it with the right thumbstick. That would be fine if this were a shooter, but it isn't. 

My comment about the responsiveness of the controls was because I had more trouble targeting bad guys and button presses seemed to take slightly longer to register. So I'd say they play almost exactly the same.

I still might buy it, I just thought these things bore mentioning, considering they're pretty much omnipresent while you play.
    lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By lodar011
    @BabaORiely said:
    " Is anyone else having problems with the game crashing?  I bought it this morning and I've only played for about a half an hour.  However, the game has frozen twice on me.  The first time it froze after leaving Mommago for the first time and the second time it froze as the Tow truck was coming to bring me to Mommago.  I have a feeling that it might be my roommate's 360 but I'm not entirely convinced. "
    I played it for about 2.5 hours tonight with no problems at all

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.