Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond Good & Evil

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 11, 2003

The story of a young, curious, and green-loving photojournalist named Jade, out to unravel an alien conspiracy on her home planet of Hillys.

Stick with the PC version, or buy the XBLA version?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I saw a similar question, but I didn't want to bump a four year old thread since I think it'd be question to being deleted as I've seen happen before. Anyways, as the title asks, I already have the PC version (as well as the original Xbox version), but the PC versions frame rate is fluctuating enough that it makes the experience detrimental. It makes me worry that at some crucial point in the game, it will dip into single digits. I just found a fix for most of the graphical issues, where things would flicker. I had the game on PC for a few years now, but any time I tried to play it, on three PC's I've had since, it always had the graphical issues coupled with the low frame rates, so I always stopped right after the first cutscene.

I didn't get very far into the Xbox version either because I got stuck on some part and quit (which was probably near the beginning, and probably, actually really easy to get through). I could keep going with the PC version, but the fluctuating frames is too bothersome honestly. It can reach down to 5fps on rare occasion, up to 90fps on rare occasion. It's often jumping from 25 to 70fps depending on the place and situation I'm in, when I should be able to get the game running around a more solid frame rate. I read about the rumor that Nintendo is funding Beyond Good & Evil 2 for the NX, so that's interesting, and I've been playing older games that I didn't finish, since I don't really have any new games to play. I thought I'd go back to this and get through it before a sequel, but I'm not taking out the original Xbox to play this, I just want to play it in its definitive form.

Beyond Good & Evil on XBLA is only $9.99. I'm enjoying the game from the little I've played aside from the issues, but still, I either need to find a fix for the frame rate that doesn't somehow tarnish the visuals, or just get the XBLA version, though I'm not sure. I also have to say, I can't believe this HD version came out in almost five years ago exactly.

Barthez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Barthez

There definitely is a way to fix the graphical issues and other weirdess with the PC version. I've replayed the game some few years ago on Windows 7 and remember being bummed out initially after starting up the game and realizing there's something wrong with the way it runs/looks... I also remember somehow fixing/bypassing the problems and having the game run and look flawlessly and enjoying completing the game once again. =]

I know just saying this and not actually providing a fix isn't helpful at all, but honestly it's been so long ago I can't remember anything about the process. It was definitely on Windows 7 though, so if you're running anything newer then this may not apply... one thing I can say though is that fixing the issues may have involved a backup copy of the game and some no-CD cracks. ;)

Edit: Just did a quick search and apparently there is a GOG.com version of the game that runs just fine even on 64-bit Windows 10 for most people, perhaps needing a tweak or two to run for some others.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@barthez: Yeah, I read that about the GOG version. It was made to run on current systems, though not sure if it's worth getting over the HD version. The glitches aren't really there, like I said I fixed that, but yeah, the frame rate is jumpy. I've run the game on Vista, Widows 7, and now 10. That doesn't really make much difference from what I can tell, it was just a matter of turning on and off settings in the games options. I found fixes for the visuals, but I haven't seen any fixes for the frame rate issue, at least not mine unfortunately.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, I just bought the HD version on 360.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember the 360 version being a good version of the game, hopefully you won't run into any issues with it.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 360 version is great! I beat it a few years back, definitely the best way to play the game IMO.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember when I tried to play it on the PC it had a weird thing where because it had been designed for much slower CPUs, the cut scenes would run faster than they were supposed to, so you ended up with a black screen and a radio play for most of it. The fix was to use some program to trick it into thinking the CPU was already running at capacity. Weird.

The xbla version is totally fine, for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.