Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Big Boss

Character » appears in 21 games

Dubbed "The Greatest Warrior of The Twentieth Century", Big Boss was a soldier who achieved legendary status during the Cold War and later went on to establish the elite U.S. black ops unit FOXHOUND and the military states of Outer Heaven and Zanzibar Land. He was the first main antagonist of the Metal Gear series, and appears as the main protagonist in the prequels.

Pets Named After Game Characters Part I

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

I have a Notepad document which contains a list of posts to eventually write; "Pets Named After Game Characters" is one of them. I know I'm not the only one out there who has named a pet after a video game character, either. So, what made me decide to write about this topic today? Well, it's because of a little guinea pig that showed up at my front door a few days ago, but we'll get to him in Part IV of "Pets Named After Game Characters".     

Let's do this alphabetically, which just so happens to be chronologically as well!:     

Big Boss

"Commencing Operation Snake Eater."

Big Boss was an easy cat to name due to his time of arrival and the color of his eyes. Belonging to my mom's former boss's stepdaughter (that was tough to write!) who was originally going to abandon him,  my mom's boss took him in only to discover that he didn't get along with their other cat. So, she asked my mom if she wanted to take him in. Already having four cats in the house, taking care of Big Boss wasn't an issue, and we soon added a fifth kitty to our loving home. This all took place shortly after E3 2003, where Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater made its 10-minute debut.

A lot of speculation was abound, as is usual with a new Metal Gear reveal, and some of the crazier (and obviously wrong even then) theories were suggesting that Hideo Kojima was introducing time travel to the series and that you would continue to play as Solid Snake. People like myself knew better. We knew that the only real explanation for the game taking place in the 1960's and having a character look nearly identical to Solid Snake is that the game was going to tell the story of Big Boss himself. Being a massive Metal Gear fan, and seeing the cat's eyes matching the exact color of the man himself, I knew what to call him instantly.

Trivia:

• Has the softest fur out of any kitty I've ever petted (which is a lot!).     
    • Is a super-good cuddler! You'd be hard-pressed to have a more relaxing, furry sleep.
    • Is very good at telling you what he wants by meowing loudly until you follow him.
    • Enjoys viewing the outdoors.

I always enjoy people's reactions to his name at animal clinics and such. My mom always likes to point out that I'M the one who named him. He still has one of the coolest names for a cat ever.

I should really see if they make eye patches for cats... 

Just kidding. I don't think he would like that very much.

Concept art from Peace Walker, but still. Look at the color of his eye! 

"Why'd you defect?!" 

-------------- 
    This post was originally written here on July 4th, 2010.
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a Notepad document which contains a list of posts to eventually write; "Pets Named After Game Characters" is one of them. I know I'm not the only one out there who has named a pet after a video game character, either. So, what made me decide to write about this topic today? Well, it's because of a little guinea pig that showed up at my front door a few days ago, but we'll get to him in Part IV of "Pets Named After Game Characters".     

Let's do this alphabetically, which just so happens to be chronologically as well!:     

Big Boss

"Commencing Operation Snake Eater."

Big Boss was an easy cat to name due to his time of arrival and the color of his eyes. Belonging to my mom's former boss's stepdaughter (that was tough to write!) who was originally going to abandon him,  my mom's boss took him in only to discover that he didn't get along with their other cat. So, she asked my mom if she wanted to take him in. Already having four cats in the house, taking care of Big Boss wasn't an issue, and we soon added a fifth kitty to our loving home. This all took place shortly after E3 2003, where Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater made its 10-minute debut.

A lot of speculation was abound, as is usual with a new Metal Gear reveal, and some of the crazier (and obviously wrong even then) theories were suggesting that Hideo Kojima was introducing time travel to the series and that you would continue to play as Solid Snake. People like myself knew better. We knew that the only real explanation for the game taking place in the 1960's and having a character look nearly identical to Solid Snake is that the game was going to tell the story of Big Boss himself. Being a massive Metal Gear fan, and seeing the cat's eyes matching the exact color of the man himself, I knew what to call him instantly.

Trivia:

• Has the softest fur out of any kitty I've ever petted (which is a lot!).     
    • Is a super-good cuddler! You'd be hard-pressed to have a more relaxing, furry sleep.
    • Is very good at telling you what he wants by meowing loudly until you follow him.
    • Enjoys viewing the outdoors.

I always enjoy people's reactions to his name at animal clinics and such. My mom always likes to point out that I'M the one who named him. He still has one of the coolest names for a cat ever.

I should really see if they make eye patches for cats... 

Just kidding. I don't think he would like that very much.

"Why'd you defect?!" 

-------------- 
    This post was originally written here on July 4th, 2010.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ArchScabby

I named my dog Tali, like Mass Effect.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArchScabby: Do you have any pictures?
    Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheCreamFilling

If I ever get a dog or another cat I'll name him Garrus.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
    Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Computerplayer1

Convinced my friend to name his cat Carbuncle after the Final Fantasy summon. 

It had a white diamond on his forehead so it was a no-brainer.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Computerplayer1: Nice! 

@TheCreamFilling: Surprisingly, I've never named a cat after a Mass Effect character, even though I love the series. Hmmm...
    freshakiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freshakiff

i named my dog scout, half after to kill a mocking bird, and half after TF 2.

No Caption Provided
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Well, it's not a game character but if search Welsh Corgi on Youtube about half of them are named Ein. it's pretty funny for some reason.

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By SoylentGreen
    @ArchScabby said:
    " I named my dog Tali, like Mass Effect. "
    @TheCreamFilling said:
    " If I ever get a dog or another cat I'll name him Garrus. "
    That's odd. I named my Labrador Wrex.

Shepard.
     Shepard.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I named my cat Kirby.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@freshakiff: Awwwwwww 

@SoylentGreen: Nice! 

@Soapy86: Does he eat anything in sight? :O That could be dangerous. 

Anyway, I blew it! I recently moved to a new house, and on the first night this cat came up to me and started rubbing against me and stuff. Not wanting to become attached to him, I opted not to name him. Now, he basically lives inside, but we've been calling him "Kitty" for so long that it is too late to change it! There were so many cool names I could have used. :( 

And there is also another cat that stays outside who is now known officially  as "White Fluffy Kitty". Oh well!
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mmmslash

I named my kitten Zelda when I got her.

Turns out she is a he, so I have a male cat named Zelda.

He's morbidly obese and lazy, and basically amazing.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mmmslash: A few years ago, this litter of kittens was birthed underneath my brother's car and we took them in. We somehow managed to get all five of their genders wrong, so I did the exact same thing! I will reveal who these kitties are in a future blog, however! 

Also, you should post a pic of Zelda! *receives picture of video game character instead*
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mmmslash
    @Vito_Raliffe:  Obligatory awful phone camera.

No Caption Provided

He is, in fact, not dead, merely comfy.
    Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have a budgie named Francis York Morgan, but I just call him York, that's what everyone calls him.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Big Boss is a pretty good name for a cat. Back when I was living with my parents, summer before last, my family got a new cat and my parents let me and my brother name him. The cat was ginger, rather bulky and quite the fighter as it turned out (although far from aggressive to humans) so we named him Gordon, partly in reference to Gordon Freeman. My parents weren't sure about it at first but in the end everyone agreed that it was actually a very fitting name for the cat and he still lives with my family today.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mmmslash: Awwwwwwwwww. Cats sleep in the weirdest positions sometimes. 

@TheSeductiveMoose:
     Nice! 

@Gamer_152: You should get him a headcrab plushie, sprinkle it with catnip and watch him tear it up!
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By buft

I once had a dog named sultan after the classic amstrad cpc 464 game sultans maze.

CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buft: That's probably the most obscure game name for a pet I've ever seen =D
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By buft
    @Vito_Raliffe:  yeh, it was my favourite game back then, i later learned my dad only agreed to it because he loved dire straits and their album sultans of swing but for me it will always remind me of the faux 3d maze game.
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buft: None of my pet names work out that way. Everybody just has to deal with the fact that it is a reference to something they will never know about!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.