Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

Binary Domain - review thread

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sub_o
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Really glad to see it's reception is off to a warm start. Even if I don't get it right away, it's definitely something I want to play when I get the chance. The use of voice-commands is surprising, though. Or rather it's surprising that this wasn't pegged as another Kinect-enabled shooter. Far as I can tell, you still need to use a headset even for the 360 version to dole out your commands.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By GunstarRed

@Abyssfull: You don't need the headset theres a set of very basic commands when you hold a button down.

Played like two and a half hours, maybe three and its a surprisingly well made game, gorgeous visuals and interesting non-crazy story ( kinda like a japanese i robot) Theres a bit where you run away from a collapsing building and the way it's framed in the camera is really, really cool. Voices are pretty good too... main character is a douchebag.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Yummylee

@GunstarRed: I know you don't need a headset, but since the game doesn't pause when you're handing out orders, it can get pretty hectic and messy trying to order your squad in the midst of battle without the headset. Least that's how it felt during the demo anyway.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

@Abyssfull: I've stopped using them in the battles, it's very mass effect-y where they take note immediately and then continue to do their own thing. Theyre only of any real use in the points between gunfights.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I played the demo, all I could think is they've made I Robot: The Game, though some years too late.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By pantzing_nome

@sub_o: Ign gave it a 7.5/10

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cosi83

I'm playing it, the action is great, one minor complaint was the iffy frame rate at one point during a huge boss battle and unless you play on hard don't expect to use the group commands. Don't understand why Giantbomb have decided to ignore this game, much like they did with Yakuza 4

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @cosi83 said:

I'm playing it, the action is great, one minor complaint was the iffy frame rate at one point during a huge boss battle and unless you play on hard don't expect to use the group commands. Don't understand why Giantbomb have decided to ignore this game, much like they did with Yakuza 4

No they did a quicklook of yakuza 4, Jeff actually seemed interested in #3.
    biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By biospank
    @Abyssfull: because you almost don't use it. Or at least when I played it on normal I only got the duders to heal me when stuff got too messed up.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By onarum

I liked the demo, the robots brake and crumbled in satisfying ways when you shoot them, also I really like the overall art direction (specially the enemy designs, they look intimidating), though at least on the PS3 there were some nasty FPS drops here and there.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BleedingStarX

Bought it Thursday and played it straight through on hard, took 11 or so hours. Absolutely fantastic game, great story, impressive cutscenes and overall a very very enjoyable experience I thought

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cosi83

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I was sold on it after finding out in the demo that there is a French robot in it. What does that have to do with review scores? Je ne sais pas.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cosi83

^ Yep Cain, he one crazy Frenchie

This is the first great game of 2012

Mr_Spinnington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mr_Spinnington

i'm going to wager a guess that i'm one of the few people interested in this game for the Ghost-In-The-Shell-lookin' story and great looking animation/great sounding VO

does anyone have input on that stuff

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contrarian

I will be the nay-sayer here. I played the demo to get a feel for the game and was bored sensless the entire time.

I hated the music.

I thought the characters were generic and boring.

The repetitive chatter annoyed me very fast and the general dialogue was tedious.

The visuals were generic.

Shoot, run, cover, shoot ...... rinse repeat. I was bored fast.

Granted, I don't care for shooters and didn't care for Gears of War, but in terms of boredom, it only rates slightly less boring than GRAW. I try out the better shooters in a vain attempt to get them to click with me, but at least with Gears of War, there were elements I enjoyed. Not Binary Domain. The demo only showed me that even at $5, I am unlikely to buy. Can't say I didn't give it a try. To each their own I say, but if I was talking to a person who like myself isn't much into shooters, I would tell them Binary Domain is not the place to start.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Masha2932

Ign gave the game a 7.5 and it's averaging a 76 on metacritic at the moment with 6 review scores.

Personally, I was underwhelmed by the demo but the positive review scores have piqued my interest. I'll probably give this a rental along with Asura's wrath.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SlasherMan

@Contrarian said:

I will be the nay-sayer here.

Of course you will be, how else will you live up to your name?

Joking aside, I would like to see QL of this just to get a proper idea of what kind of game it is. People seem to be saying the demo doesn't really give you a proper glimpse of all the mechanics in the game, so it seems that it wouldn't be enough to form an opinion about it.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Contrarian

@SlasherMan said:

@Contrarian said:

I will be the nay-sayer here.

Of course you will be, how else will you live up to your name?

Joking aside, I would like to see QL of this just to get a proper idea of what kind of game it is. People seem to be saying the demo doesn't really give you a proper glimpse of all the mechanics in the game, so it seems that it wouldn't be enough to form an opinion about it.

A demo should be a selling tool and if it fails to do that, then it might be better to not have it at all. Based on that, it would be a risky investment, which is why is would be really cheap, if at all.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SlasherMan

@Contrarian: Absolutely, I can't argue with that. I'm just saying that if anyone has any passing interest in this game, then perhaps it should be looked further into rather than just judging it by the demo (going by what some people are saying, I haven't tried it myself nor do I have enough information about the game to form an opinion, which is why a QL would be nice).

That said, I have seen this game pretty cheap around online, which is why it caught my eye initially. $40 or so, if I'm not mistaken.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Contrarian

@SlasherMan said:

@Contrarian: Absolutely, I can't argue with that. I'm just saying that if anyone has any passing interest in this game, then perhaps it should be looked further into rather than just judging it by the demo (going by what some people are saying, I haven't tried it myself nor do I have enough information about the game to form an opinion, which is why a QL would be nice).

That said, I have seen this game pretty cheap around online, which is why it caught my eye initially. $40 or so, if I'm not mistaken.

I think my view is largely irrelevant due to my non-interest in the genre (unless you also share my non-interest). We all know what we like and I am sure some people genuinely enjoyed the demo. I am also sure plenty of gamers will look beyond the demo (if they thought it wasn't brilliant) believing there was a whole lot more to offer in the full game. I have never watched a QL. I kind of find the concept boring.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cosi83

@Mr_Spinnington: The story and cutscenes are compelling throughout. The VO work initially put me off but it's of a very high standard. Having a lot more fun with this game than i did playing Uncharted 3 and Gears 3

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunstarRed

@cosi83 said:

@Mr_Spinnington: The story and cutscenes are compelling throughout. The VO work initially put me off but it's of a very high standard. Having a lot more fun with this game than i did playing Uncharted 3 and Gears 3

I prefered both UC3 and Gears 3 more, but as others have said the demo is a bad representation of the full game. The voice acting felt a little off in the beginning , but as the story ramps up a lot of it felt really natural. I'd even go as far as saying a lot of the more character interaction moments are just as good as anything in Uncharted. Theres a wit to some of it and just like the Eurogamer review says, it really does feel like a game written by adults. I'm really surprised that the game isn't getting more attention. It looks amazing and has a good story/ writing and the combat is fantastic. (brilliant bosses) Theres a.i issues and the music is pretty underwhelming, but easily one of the more interesting third person shooters out there.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cosi83

^ Maybe because it's an original property but I do prefer the setting, characters, pace and the tone to any of the shooter sequels of last year. I also enjoy shooting robots over living things. I hate to say franchise fatigue but with Uncharted, Gears and Batman, it was a case of seen it the first time. Infamous 2 on the other hand...

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

@cosi83: I could have done without "Holler if your dead", but Cain makes up for it a hundred times over.(FRENCH FUCKING ROBOT!) I'm also very thankful for it being a new franchise, although i'm unsure where they can go after the ending. when you get into the final areas and theres just a mess of robot bits flying it is hugely satisfying.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cosi83

@GunstarRed: You think they will do a sequel? I haven't finished it yet. I kinda saw it as a "hey this team can do a Western type shooter also", now my concerns over the shooting in Dead Souls are laid to rest

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GunstarRed

@cosi83: I think it did pretty well in Japan and they put out a bunch of those Yakuza games so I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel was planned. Theres one major plot point that isn't tied up, but I can't really say more without major spoilers.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By buft

@MooseyMcMan said:

I was sold on it after finding out in the demo that there is a French robot in it. What does that have to do with review scores? Je ne sais pas.

OK now I'm sold!

Comment allez-vous ? Bien, merci. Et vous ?
    Avatar image for phantomgardener
    PhantomGardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PhantomGardener

The game looks pretty interesting. Probably gonna pick it up after I'm done with Mass Effect 3.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cosi83

IGN are a joke of a site, i hope they fold. The campaign alone is an 8.5. As already mentioned, boss battles are immense!

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AngeTheDude

@cosi83 said:

IGN are a joke of a site, i hope they fold. The campaign alone is an 8.5.

I hope you're joking. It's just a review score.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Yummylee

For a ''review thread'', OP isn't doing a very good in keeping the thread up to date...

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Contrarian: I felt the same from the demo, but pretty much everyone else I have encountered seems to like or even love the game so I've just held my tongue. It's not like I hated it though so no big deal. I liked the effects on shredding through robots, I liked picking a team and the idea of the dialogue responses (although they seemed pointless after all) and upgrade stuff is always nice I guess. Everything else - as in, actually playing the game - just ... bored me to death. And nothing about the visuals in terms of design or quality stood out to me.

Darksideshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Darksideshadow

It took me 15 minuttes to get into demo. At first it was very generic gears 3 rip off. But then I discovered dismemberment of robots, humor as in self irony, sarcasm and over the top racial stereotypes. And I was Sold.

Off course when I had a French Robot with a red scarf as a teammate I knew the dialog and everything about the story was not meant to be taken seriously. Its a game and a damn good one. If you like old-school type Vanquish, P.N.03 futuristic shooters. I don´t even feel like going back to finish gears 3 now, it just seems to take it self to seriously :P

IMO

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

In case anyone is interested, here is my review of Binary Domain.

http://gamingirresponsibly.com/review-binary-domain-360

I also recorded a gameplay video with my brother that is not dissimilar to a quick look. The video player on the site can be a bit finicky, so I'll add the youtube link as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Ti15--R6U&feature=g-u&context=G22aa046FUAAAAAAAEAA

As for the game, I liked it a lot. It doesn't do much original from either a gameplay or story standpoint, but it is very well made, with great production value and polish. It plays pretty great, with some very satisfying combat and the awesome kind of Japanese cinematic flair you'd find in something like MGS.

Just a disclaimer: Though I say the video is similar to a quick look, which is true, I am by no means trying to say I have anywhere near the charisma or presence of the Giant Bomb guys, I was just trying to provide coverage as well as my opinions on the game.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cosi83

Completed last night. Excellent campaign, great story 9/10

SPOILER

The first time I couldn't bring myself to shoot Faye, she too beautiful so I shot Charlie in the face

Put Syndicate in after, mindless violence

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.