Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

How do games even ship like this?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

I finally broke down and decided to give this POS a try and am kind of taken a back at how poor the port job on Binary Domain is. I understand when a developer doesn't want to put any effort into the game and try to make a quick buck on tricking people into buying their game before they find out it's terrible, but I just can't imagine that even they could be so careless as to not even be bothered to change the button prompts to match the platform it's on. It's so little effort and work involved to do so...

Anyone know what the fuck they mapped the voice command button to? Because I can't get past the first step in this dam games tutorial because it's telling me to press the RB button and I can't seem to find the RB button on my keyboard. Weird isn't it?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Animasta

isn't there settings before you launch the game where you can change it? that's what it was like for sonic generations

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By AlexanderSheen

There's a setting somewhere to change the button prompts to Keyboard and mouse.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crusader8463

@Animasta: @AlexanderSheen: I had to go digging around online and find some patch that didn't bother downloading for some strange reason and then even more time then I care to talk about to find the settings. Just makes me annoyed that they can charge money for games that broken.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Animasta

@crusader8463 said:

@Animasta: @AlexanderSheen: I had to go digging around online and find some patch that didn't bother downloading for some strange reason and then even more time then I care to talk about to find the settings. Just makes me annoyed that they can charge money for games that broken.

Just to be clear, they weren't there when you launched the game? when I launch sonic on steam it pops up a window that says play sonic or configure.

also don't call it a POS game (I am the one person in the binary domain defense brigade), call it a POS port if you must

also technically there wasn't boxed copies of the PC version afaik so it didn't "ship" like this.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By KarlPilkington

The developer doesn't get to decide when the game is done and released (most of the time).

If the publisher needs money to reach some deadline or target then often they push out an unfinished game.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crusader8463

@Animasta said:

@crusader8463 said:

Just to be clear, they weren't there when you launched the game? when I launch sonic on steam it pops up a window that says play sonic or configure.

also don't call it a POS game (I am the one person in the binary domain defense brigade), call it a POS port if you must

also technically there wasn't boxed copies of the PC version afaik so it didn't "ship" like this.

No for some reason it didn't download the patch. Never had a problem like that before. Had to find some weird forum post on some weird site that told me how to get it working again that was more pain then I care to recall. I eventually found the keys not displaying properly fix after digging around the c drive and finally finding the config.exe. It's working now, but the game has this really annoying hitch up whenever I try to aim my gun that is making aiming impossible. May have to just set this to lowest difficulty and try to enjoy it for the story alone, because playing this with the stuttering aim is not fun in the slightest thus far.It's not lag as the game runs fine, just when I scope in it causes the game to hang for a half a second. Very frustrating.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By cannonballbam

@crusader8463: Are you using a 360 Controller or Keyboard and Mouse? All Sega PC ports have a configuration on start up, if there is an issue you can check the integrity of the game cache through properties. Also, laying out clear contradictions with the game is an easier way of getting your point across instead of attacking the developer as a whole. The Ryu Ga Gotoku team is a lot smaller than a majority of American developers but still packs charm into their games. It sounds like you had trouble just navigating your Steam OS, it shouldn't reflect poorly on the quality of someone else work.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crusader8463

@cannonballBAM said:

@crusader8463: Are you using a 360 Controller or Keyboard and Mouse? All Sega PC ports have a configuration on start up, if there is an issue you can check the integrity of the game cache through properties. Also, laying out clear contradictions with the game is an easier way of getting your point across instead of attacking the developer as a whole. The Ryu Ga Gotoku team is a lot smaller than a majority of American developers but still packs charm into their games. It sounds like you had trouble just navigating your Steam OS, it shouldn't reflect poorly on the quality of someone else work.

I hate using controllers and would never use one when the option for KBM is there. The problem was that for some strange reason that one game decided to never download any of the updates and apparently adding in non controller button prompts was in an update as the game launched with no option to do anything but x-box controllers. I just had to go in and verify the install and it downloaded the update. I then managed to hunt down and find the config file in the install directory.

It all just took me back when I first fired it up because it's been so long since I had seen such a shoddy PC port of a game that it was rather annoying trying to go back to the bad old days where this stuff was common place. I thought we had moved past that as an industry, but I guess it will always be there. The game never stopped that annoying hitching up that made aiming a pain the entire game, but I enjoyed the story and characters too much to give up on the game and powered my way through to the end.

If/and/or/when they make another I hope they can put some effort into the PC edition that time around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.