Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

So I'm getting this tomorrow... expecting a shameless Gears rip?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So I don't really know what to expect from this game, and I'm not sure where others expectations lie with Binary Domain. At this point, I'm just going in with the attitude of it being a shameless, or shameful, Gears Of War rip off, except more future-y. However, nearly had me at "French Robot". But really, can a French Robot be unique enough? Answer me, Abyssfull. You who is full of abyss.

But honestly, where are everybody's expectations with this so far? What I've spilled in this thread is kind of all I'm going on, so I don't know, dude! You tell me!

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BrockNRolla

Destructoid gave it a 7.5 for what that's worth. Sounds like your sights are set pretty low though, so you'll probably enjoy it, right? I wouldn't be expecting much.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There is a French robot in it.

Never mind, you already know that.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Getz

I played the demo, and the team aspect of it could be really neat. You pick your team and you go through dialogue trees with them and they have a trust rating or something that affects how they do in combat. I immediately picked the two ladies and the first thing that happens is one of them asks "Why did you pick the only two ladies? Are you a pervert?" To which I gleefully said yes and lost respect with them. A cute little moment that seems like, if done well throughout the game, could make it something special. Like a little Dragon Age in my Gears of War. Considering character development is one of the strong suits of the Yakuza team I can imagine this stuff is done reasonably well.

The shooting was... okay. And yeah, a french robot.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By napalm

@Getz said:

I immediately picked the two ladies and the first thing that happens is one of them asks "Why did you pick the only two ladies? Are you a pervert?" To which I gleefully said yes and lost respect with them.

It was either going to be you or that said something this amazing that makes me say, "sold!!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Napalm: I want to know why you're getting it when you seem to have low expectations for it.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solh0und

Don't expect too much from the voice command stuff. From what I played from the demo, it's horrid!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

@ViciousAnchovy said:

@Napalm: I want to know why you're getting it when you seem to have low expectations for it.

I'm buying every game I find interesting this year. And it looks cool. And just look at what said.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic

Even though this game doesn't do anything new gameplay wise. I did have fun playing the demo. From what I heard people seem to enjoy this game. They said it was around 10 hours long and its worth the money. I'm probably going to end up buying this game. I have a feeling I'm going to have alot of fun shooting up giant robots.

WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By WonderboyCoz

I've beat it and I really enjoyed. I guess alot since I got this and Syndicate on the the same day and I have only played a few hours of that (but like it alot too).

I guess what I enjoyed most about it was the story and characters, they ended up being far more interesting than I or my friend, who was around for most of it could have thought. It also seems like there will be some differences to the ending and various cutscenes depending on who you pick for teams and your trust levels but Ive got to play around with this.

The combat is gears-like but shooting awesome robots and its very satisfying to just shoot the hell out of them and watch the pieces fly, theres also some cool boss robots and some minigamish sections like sliding down a dam, water skis, a shooting from vehicle section ect. to vary things up now and then.

So, yeah, havent touched the multiplayer and dont know If I will but im probably gonna play it again on a harder difficulty and Im interested in seeing a sequel which they sort of set up.

If anyone has questions, just ask.

phanthomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phanthomas

In a first review of a German website over here they say the story and characters are well worth it, the action is Gears-y but competent with just a few gameplay sections that feel stretched.... So the whole premise is interesting to me but I will wait until it is cheaper.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane

@Napalm said:

@ViciousAnchovy said:

I'm buying every game I find interesting this year. And it looks cool. And just look at what said.

At one point you get asked out by a 15 year old Jap girl, to which you can say yes.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RazielCuts

why are you buying it if you're expecting it to be not that good? Too much money for your own good? because y'know, there's always heroin..

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Masha2932

The game is getting decent reviews so you should be okay.(http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/binary-domain) However, I would advise you to wait a while because this game will drop in price very fast( the game's hype is very low and some stores are already advertising the game at a discount. This way you can buy it for $30-$40 instead of $60, and use the spare $20 to buy an older game you never got the chance to play. I do admire your endeavor to try out new IPs though, but don't do it at the expense of your finances.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By GunstarRed

I have been through the game twice now and my opinions on it are in the reviews thread, but the thing you need to know most about it is that the french robot is also a gunslinger.

The game is tonally very different to Gears with a lot more emphasis on story, if youre going into this expecting quantum theory(?) level shooting mechanics youre going to be very surprised. Another thing of note is that it's a very easy game, infact it gets easier as you go along because the gun upgrades are so powerful. I didn't even know I had to manually equip the health upgrades til my second go around. Gears is very, very, very clearly an inspiration, but probably in a good way. They took what works from that game and then added their own spin on it... also, FRENCH ROBOT CAIN IS AWESOME! (Theres a very good reason why people keep mentioning this)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@GunstarRed: Tried any of the multiplayer yet? It looks as generic and ordinary as a MP feature could get, but I'm curious to hear how it plays all the same.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GunstarRed

@Abyssfull: It's junk. The mp is a wasteland with the occasional high leveled Japanese player running at you with a one hit kill shotgun. The horde mode is better, but nothing you haven't seen a million times in other games. I don't think I will return to either after spending about an hour between them.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By napalm

@Shirogane said:

@Napalm said:

@ViciousAnchovy said:

At one point you get asked out by a 15 year old Jap girl, to which you can say yes.

...what?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By jacksukeru

I like the concepts it's working with, if it gets decent reviews I'll probably add it to a "potential pickups" list and may or may not check it out at some point.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

the demo was great

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ttocs

From what I've been hearing, it's been surprising the hell out of a lot of people. I'm picking it up after work for sure. Especially after seeing the damage to the enemies. Watch some gameplay movies and see how the enemies just crumble under the bullets, it looks awesome.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hairydutchman

I played for a hour and a half and asside from the mechanics it's nothing like Gears. The story is great so far and the characters are pretty funny. The whole presentation is very different from GOW.

And the enemies aren't bulletsponges.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By abdo

@Napalm:I think you should read some articles and/or watch some videos about the game before assuming it's a Gears of War rip-off, just because it's a squad-based TPS. There's a lot more to it; the whole "man or machine" moral quandary of the story, the detail in the robots' destruction, the (voice) command system. There's a lot of praise for it on the internet: Shipwreck from CAG already called it 2012's first sleeper hit.

By the time you read his you'll probably already have it in your hands, so all I can say is experience it yourself and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Marz

I think the premise of the game is pretty cool... although it's been explored in movies a ton (advanced robot AI's disguised as humans)..  Gun play is ok from what i played in the demo and there seems to be some relationship dynamics inserted to the game which is pretty interesting.   I'd have to play the whole game to get a real impression but it doesn't seem like it's a shitty game at all.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@Marz: I'd say it's a 4 star Alex Navarro review waiting to happen.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By benspyda

It looks quite interesting. Everything except for the name. They might as well have called in Domain Name System or Source Code(wait no someone already used that).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By AlexW00d

The first I heard of this game was when I saw a Savygamer thing for it being £28. I don't even think it's out yet right? And it's that cheap?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikeGosot

The game is pretty cool. The shooting is pretty good and the way enemies react to your bullets... Well, it made me scream "CRUMBLE MOTHERFUCKER!" more than once. The only thing i don't like very much is the Relationship Thing. It's very gamey, and unless you're a jerk on purpose, it's hard to make people angry. Also, you should totally be a jerk on purpose, it's very funny.
    Girl: "Is that the best you can do!?"
    Me: "YES! :D"

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Yummylee

@AlexW00d said:

The first I heard of this game was when I saw a Savygamer thing for it being £28. I don't even think it's out yet right? And it's that cheap?

It's always been that the way with the Yakuza games as well; Yakuza 4 was easy to find at around £30 for preorder, and Yakuza: Dead Souls is £29:86 for preorder on shopto. Strange, but I can't complain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Napalm: Valid reasons both. Now I'm curious about it.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I don't think it'll blow your mind but from what I've seen, it should be a really good/fun experience. I'll be getting around to it at some point.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cosi83

Binary Domain is uplifting, unlike Gears

I prefer Binary Domain over Gears no doubt

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

Game is fantastic. Shooting feels good and seeing the robots explode into pieces is pretty awesome. Also the writing is awful from an objective standpoint but god damn if its still not entertaining anyways. I laughed my ass off the first time you get introduced to the female Chinese sniper on your team.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#34  Edited By Video_Game_King

So what if it's a rip-off of Gears? As long as it's ripping off the right parts, why should it matter?

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BPRJCTX

@RazielCuts said:

why are you buying it if you're expecting it to be not that good? Too much money for your own good? because y'know, there's always heroin..

Dude, thank you...

Came in here just to say that.

Why?! lol.

Avatar image for chaoskiller2000
    Chaoskiller2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#36  Edited By Chaoskiller2000

I am really enjoying it! Shooting feels real good especially since the robots fall apart as you shoot them!

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Barrock

I enjoyed the demo. Upgrading your weapons and characters seemed pretty awesome.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By musubi

@Chaoskiller2000: This so much. The robots exploding and shattering as you shoot them make the shooting feel REALLY good. Some pretty crazy bosses too!

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Commisar123

It seems like more then that, but not much

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By jonnyboy

If God had wanted us to buy weird Japanese knock-offs, he wouldn't have given us rental services.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Demoskinos said:

Game is fantastic. Shooting feels good and seeing the robots explode into pieces is pretty awesome. Also the writing is awful from an objective standpoint but god damn if its still not entertaining anyways. I laughed my ass off the first time you get introduced to the female Chinese sniper on your team.

I love big bo, he is so awesome

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.