Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Binary Domain

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 28, 2012

A group of international soldiers take on an army of rogue androids in this sci-fi shooter set in 2080's Tokyo.

Why is there not more (getting) hype for Binary Domain?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tebbit

This game looks cool as hell!

I mean, you fight robots that look kinda like Vectorman for god's sake! I also really dig the specific brand of cyber-future they're going for here, it's the kind of thing you'd read about in a pulpy, sci-fi thriller from the early 90's (do those even exist!? I'm pretty sure they do).
    Mixed with a dash of Terminator which... well, replace early 90's with late 80's and you get the idea.

Criticisms: those white robots hang a little too close to the Portal / iRobot aesthetic style for my tastes, but still... 

•   You'll notice the way that the robots break apart when shot is actually part of a procedural (read: Dead Space) damage system.
    • The music is awesome!
    • Deals with the Bladerunner-esque issues of humanity V.S. robots (where does one end, and the other begin!? See the end of the second trailer)
    • The first Sci-Fi game I've seen outside of Mass Effect to contain a story that might be worth a damn.

I ask you, the people, why there isn't more hype for this game. The premise alone gives me chills (not because I fear our future robot overlords, but because it's an idea that I fell in love with when I was younger - reading crappy sci-fi in the school library no less).

Actually, more of my personal hype is related to what the developer has been saying about the game recently. In particular, this Gamespot article caught my eye. Here are a few choice quotes:

"First of all, many of the existing titles (regardless of their sales success) had many elements that seemed as if the developers gave up. For example, there are unavailable movements due to technological limits or strange AI reactions that make you wonder, "Why is it moving like that?" or "Why is it not making decisions that could work better for him?" Those actions were just so unnatural and frustrating. I had always been thinking such problems should be completely resolved, so with Binary Domain, we addressed these issues as much as possible.

Furthermore, that was not our goal but the base of our development for this game. By having the game based on such a foundation, we were able to create satisfactory game scenes with both the enemies and allies acting naturally based on the number of forces, formation, and stage elements. The game scenes are not mere shoot-'em-ups but evolved into exciting and dramatic battles full of tension."

"I am confident that a good piece of work made with full devotion (and well-balanced marketing) will be accepted regardless of such differences."

So what do these tell us? Pretty much nothing. It's hyperbole, sure, but it's hyperbole I can get behind. I can't really pin down why I find this game so appealing... so tell me I'm not crazy.

Here's that second trailer (actually the first trailer they released back in December). There are definitely aspects I don't like (Japanese interpretations of bro-isms are always awkward) but overall I'm hopeful.
    Also, these dudes made the Yakuza's, so they've definitely got some storytelling prowess.
    TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By TobbRobb

The story looks interesting, but I really don't want more shooters to play and there are a lot more high profile games to fit it in my budget. Seems like something I'd watch a let's play of, or pick up cheap later on.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Tebbit: WOW.

Thanks for bringing this up, man. I haven't even heard of it before, but it looks pretty sick. Still meaning to get my hands on Vanquish, which this (mildly) resembles.

Strikes me as being heavily influenced by Asimov.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

It looks nice enough for me too keep an eye on.  Thanks for making me aware of it as I really didn't know this game existed before now.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

I know I like the Yakuza games. Will keep an eye on this.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai

That game looks like shit.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By MikkaQ

You had me at Vectorman, you lost me when I saw the video. It looks like a super japanese cover-based shooter, but you're not a suped up jet-powered robot man like in Vanquish, so no thanks. 

Avatar image for countinhallways
    countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By countinhallways

The music and atmosphere in that trailer are great. However, I would worry about the gameplay being generic. Looks very Gears/Vanquish-like.

Still, both those games are fun, so if they can manage to make it control solidly then it will certainly have my attention.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By WickedCestus

I remember some people shitting on it when the second trailer came out, but I have no idea what to think. For now, I'm going to wait and see until the game comes out.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By tebbit
    @XII_Sniper:  @countinhallways: That's the one thing holding me back from being 100% on-board, but from what I've heard (and check out the Gamespot article for literally everything I've heard about it) the shooting is procedural, i.e. it might be interesting and... maybe a twist on the Dead Space formula.

@Jeffsekai: Remember, looking like shit and playing like shit are two different things. It is often the murkiest chocolate ice cream that tastes the most chocolatey. Or something.

@GetEveryone: Yeah, Asimov all up in this. Which is no bad thing in my opinion. Vanquish is on my "to do" list as well.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contro
    @Tebbit: 

I agree, it deserves more attention.

New Screens (just added these to the wiki)

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Contro
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By abdo

I'm pretty hyped for this, especially after reading Toshihiro Nagoshi's post on the game's website, which I can't find now, which was almost the same as from the Gamespot article you linked, about how deep the game's themes will be. If the gameplay is fun enough, then having a great story will really boost this game. 

Now I kinda see some reason behind making Yakuza: Of the End; I guess the team wanted to branch out and see if they can make a game more focussed on shooter mechanics, which hopefully paid off, given their 38/40 from Famitsu. I hope we get to play that one soon too. 

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By shinigami420

Looks fucking sick cant wait

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum

So machines created by humans that at some point turn against them, wait where have I seen that before, oh yeah EFFIN EVERYWHERE.

abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By abdo

New trailer out today, it's looking better and better. 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Cause the first trailer was massive shit. This new one looks better. 

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Aesthetics and theme look really interesting but the gameplay.... eh... boat sequence?... maybe no...

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

I'm more worried about the gameplay being actually good.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By TobbRobb

@TobbRobb said:

The story looks interesting, but I really don't want more shooters to play and there are a lot more high profile games to fit it in my budget. Seems like something I'd watch a let's play of, or pick up cheap later on.

Huh, this didn't come out of nowhere as I thought. Guess I just forgot about it.

Also, lol necro.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Tsoglani

Binary Domain has turned out to be one of the best sci-fi shooters I have played. I love the story, it reminds me of writers like Philip K Dick among others, but it's just a shame there was barely any advertising money for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.