Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Buyer Beware: PC version unplayable framerate

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Wipeout

I bought this game for $10 during the steam sale and was sourly disappointed.  I have a quad core CPU and a new 6870 video card and can run BFBC2 Vietnam at 60 FPS locked, and Starcraft 2 at similar frame rate, even with x4 AA and x8 AF.  New Vegas and Call of Prypiat all run slick as can be on the highest settings.  However, this game has no graphics options to tweak, and it runs at about 4 fps.  It suddenly ramps up when you're looking in certain directions.  There is a soupy slow feeling to the controls and there is a generous amount of input lag that makes the swinging mechanic impossible to use.  What a technical mess.   

Stay away from the PC version.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Yup the wonderful magic that is a crappy pc port. Thankfully those aren't as common as they used to be 2-3 years ago.

I still get chills from Saints Row 2

Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wipeout

Saints Row 2 was bad, this is even worse.  At least they give away Saints Row 2 with just about any THQ purchase, so its basically free.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @Wipeout said:
    " Saints Row 2 was bad, this is even worse.  At least they give away Saints Row 2 with just about any THQ purchase, so its basically free. "
    and to be fair, I do get around 30-40 fps in saints row 2 with the same build pretty much
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @Wipeout said:
    " Saints Row 2 was bad, this is even worse.  At least they give away Saints Row 2 with just about any THQ purchase, so its basically free. "
    At least you didn't pay full price for this one either. Just like with any pc purchase I usually like to wait a day or two just to check the forums for any excessive bitching about performance. If it consists of people complaining they can't figure out why their games won't work on their 8400gs or the like, then I'll usually decide to pick it up. However if it's a bunch of people with many different systems complaining about performance issues then I'll swallow that disappointment and wait for (IF) a patch ever comes out.

The only PC game I ever preordered was RE5 off steam. Capcom has a pretty solid engine that runs on PC wonderfully well so I had no worries there.
    Wipeout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wipeout
    @Laketown said:

and to be fair, I do get around 30-40 fps in saints row 2 with the same build pretty much "
    Yeah I get about 30 if I turn off a few things like HBAO, but BC runs about about 3 or 4 fps unless you're looking in the right direction.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I just want to say saints row 2 runs perfectly with an i7 processor. I guess they should of made that the minium requirements. However I never played bionic commando on the pc. Other capcom games runs very well, this one doesn't I suppose, don't let it reflect all capcom games.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Good to know, thank you. 
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By 1337W422102

Damn, I was thinking of checking out the PC version.  The 360 version is the first 360 game I bought, but I found it really disorienting without mouselook.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

PC version works fine over here.

Avatar image for tonisisabitchninferiorego
    TonisIsaBitchnInferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

that is untrue. Your lieing.
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Sure Saint's Row 2 wasn't the greatest pc port ever, but was running it really that bad? I got solid 35fps out of it and i have older generation quad and 4870x2 and i ran it with maxed out graphics. True it was released in 2009, so running it with a newer pc now should be no problem at all.

How about GTA IV? That game is one of the most poorly optimized pc ports i've ever seen. I even remember some developer who was part of making it saying that it was meant to run in future pcs. I mean what the fuck is that.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By chilipeppersman

@Parsnip: Yea im with you dude, I never had problems with the pc version, and I actually thought the visuals were smooth and looked pretty nice. Weird you had such a bad turn with it.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jrinswand

@HitmanAgent47 said:

I just want to say saints row 2 runs perfectly with an i7 processor. I guess they should of made that the minium requirements.

Yeah, cause i7 processors totally existed when Saint's Row 2 came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@chilipeppersman
    Whoa, blast from the past. 

I recently played through Bionic Commando on PC again, and it still works great over here. :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.