Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Through The Looking Glass

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Bionic Commando multiplayer beta was a lot of fun.

No Caption Provided
    It basically sold me the game, which I guess was the point. I was prepped to buy and spend many happy hours enjoying this game. So when EDGE, a magazine I trust inherently, gave Bionic Commando a 6/10, it made me pause. Suddenly, I'm not so sure. Did I really have that much fun playing the Beta, or was I just hypnotised by the fact that If I half-close my eyes I can pretend I'm playing a spiderman game that wont give me aids? Is the writing power of this magazine such that it can re-invent the entertainment I believed I was having?

To start with I had to go back and read through my old blog to double check. I have a tendency when I write to make the best of a bad situation. Criticism certainly flows easily, but I prefer to highlight the elements of a game which stand out as positive. And yes, my impressions of Bionic Commando seem extremely positive. In my hungover state I would go so far as to say emphatically (naively) so.

No Caption Provided
    Second thing I did was go back and re-play the demo. Whilst the singleplayer remains unavailable, the multiplayer remains my sanctuary in most titles. In Bionic Commando it seems they have pushed it to the forefront of their marketing campaign - and yes, it is a lot of fun. However with the fresh knowledge that there really wasn't much variation in gametype (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag) and only a limited amount of maps (one of which I was already getting fairly sick of) I realised that the lasting strength of multiplayer could never hope to live up to that of Gears 2 or COD4. Learning that none of my friends would be buying the game also hammered a nail into Bionic Commando's heavy duty coffin.

I don't tend to read reviews. I know which games are likely to be awesome, and I usually know enough about a game to know it's faults purely from the number slapped on the front. I only read reviews which seem to get scores I would see as questionable. I'm not dismissing it entirely. Bionic Commando may have served me well in our short encounter, but i'm going to have to take things slow and do a bit more research before I fully commit myself to this one. I don't want to end up with another Prince Of Persia....

IN OTHER NEWS

I KILLED ZOMBIES WITH SOME PLANTS

I don't have many PC games, only WoW (which I haven't played for over a year) and Call Of Duty 1 (for sentimental value). Popcap's Plants VS Zombies looked pretty cool, plus it has zombies in. So, I dropped £15 (which in retrospect seems like a lot) and grabbed a copy of this charming little action game. I would first like to point out that, despite the fact this game has clearly been made for an age group much younger than myself, I still find it hillarious. The note's that zombies leave lying around crack me up every time:

No Caption Provided
    Its good fun, though very repetitive. Once I had found a formation that worked effectively and economically I basically just repeated it for every level untill I unlocked new more powerful plants. Eventually you get to a point where there are zombies which require SPECIFIC plants to kill them, and that helps to mix things up as you have to re-arrange everything - it keeps the game fresh, keeps you on your toes. It's simple and funny and I'm having a lot of fun playing it, though it remains ridiculously easy. I have never lost a level, never has a zombie made it all the way across my lawn. Just like in real life.

LASTLY

Thoughts on the whole Sony Publishing Ghostbusters In Europe thing. As a 360 owner in Europe, i'm fairly pissed. It seems like such a Dick Move designed to hurt 360 owners rather than reward PS3 owners - who would be getting the game anyway. After a heavy berating in the IRC however I realised that Microsoft makes these kind of Dick Moves all the time, so I can't really complain. In a perfect world, all games would be on all platforms. People wouldn't need to argue and scream and hate one another on internet forums. But the way things are turning out over this exclusivity war does not bode well. I predict it shall end in tears.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Bionic Commando multiplayer beta was a lot of fun.

No Caption Provided
    It basically sold me the game, which I guess was the point. I was prepped to buy and spend many happy hours enjoying this game. So when EDGE, a magazine I trust inherently, gave Bionic Commando a 6/10, it made me pause. Suddenly, I'm not so sure. Did I really have that much fun playing the Beta, or was I just hypnotised by the fact that If I half-close my eyes I can pretend I'm playing a spiderman game that wont give me aids? Is the writing power of this magazine such that it can re-invent the entertainment I believed I was having?

To start with I had to go back and read through my old blog to double check. I have a tendency when I write to make the best of a bad situation. Criticism certainly flows easily, but I prefer to highlight the elements of a game which stand out as positive. And yes, my impressions of Bionic Commando seem extremely positive. In my hungover state I would go so far as to say emphatically (naively) so.

No Caption Provided
    Second thing I did was go back and re-play the demo. Whilst the singleplayer remains unavailable, the multiplayer remains my sanctuary in most titles. In Bionic Commando it seems they have pushed it to the forefront of their marketing campaign - and yes, it is a lot of fun. However with the fresh knowledge that there really wasn't much variation in gametype (Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture The Flag) and only a limited amount of maps (one of which I was already getting fairly sick of) I realised that the lasting strength of multiplayer could never hope to live up to that of Gears 2 or COD4. Learning that none of my friends would be buying the game also hammered a nail into Bionic Commando's heavy duty coffin.

I don't tend to read reviews. I know which games are likely to be awesome, and I usually know enough about a game to know it's faults purely from the number slapped on the front. I only read reviews which seem to get scores I would see as questionable. I'm not dismissing it entirely. Bionic Commando may have served me well in our short encounter, but i'm going to have to take things slow and do a bit more research before I fully commit myself to this one. I don't want to end up with another Prince Of Persia....

IN OTHER NEWS

I KILLED ZOMBIES WITH SOME PLANTS

I don't have many PC games, only WoW (which I haven't played for over a year) and Call Of Duty 1 (for sentimental value). Popcap's Plants VS Zombies looked pretty cool, plus it has zombies in. So, I dropped £15 (which in retrospect seems like a lot) and grabbed a copy of this charming little action game. I would first like to point out that, despite the fact this game has clearly been made for an age group much younger than myself, I still find it hillarious. The note's that zombies leave lying around crack me up every time:

No Caption Provided
    Its good fun, though very repetitive. Once I had found a formation that worked effectively and economically I basically just repeated it for every level untill I unlocked new more powerful plants. Eventually you get to a point where there are zombies which require SPECIFIC plants to kill them, and that helps to mix things up as you have to re-arrange everything - it keeps the game fresh, keeps you on your toes. It's simple and funny and I'm having a lot of fun playing it, though it remains ridiculously easy. I have never lost a level, never has a zombie made it all the way across my lawn. Just like in real life.

LASTLY

Thoughts on the whole Sony Publishing Ghostbusters In Europe thing. As a 360 owner in Europe, i'm fairly pissed. It seems like such a Dick Move designed to hurt 360 owners rather than reward PS3 owners - who would be getting the game anyway. After a heavy berating in the IRC however I realised that Microsoft makes these kind of Dick Moves all the time, so I can't really complain. In a perfect world, all games would be on all platforms. People wouldn't need to argue and scream and hate one another on internet forums. But the way things are turning out over this exclusivity war does not bode well. I predict it shall end in tears.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By danielkempster

Nice to see you back to blogging, Sweep. While I don't hold an opinion on Bionic Commando or Plants v Zombies, I do feel pretty strongly about the Ghostbusters thing. Not specifically just the Ghostbusters case, but the "exclusivity war" (as you put it) in general. While I'm all for exclusive first-party titles, concepts like exclusive DLC and and timed exclusivity really piss me off. As a 360 owner, I really enjoyed The Lost & Damned DLC for Grand Theft Auto IV, and I commend Rockstar for the work they did. But at the same time, I'm pissed off that many of my PS3-owning friends (who are loyal supporters of Rockstar) won't get to experience Johnny's story on their own consoles, purely because of Rockstar's willingness to render the DLC a 360 exclusive. Exclusivity battles exist for the benefit of companies, and it's ultimately the gamers themselves who lose out. Ironically, they are the very demographic that the companies are trying to keep on their side. In today's consumerist society, I doubt we'll ever see an end to this "exclusivity war". It's just a shame that it's people like you and me who are suffering as a result.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By crunchUK
    Sweep said:
     Dick Moves
    Buisness competition.... bitch
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Oni

Going back on your own opinion because of an EDGE review, really? I like EDGE's features but I think their review department is atrocious, personally. Elitist dicks, the lot of them, while still praising GTA 4 to high heaven instead of taking a bold stance when it actually IS justified, instead of taking a "bold stance" and slating most everything else that gets hyped. But not GTA, no sir.

TL;DR "trusting" a single review to the extent that it will make you second-guess yourself is silly.

Besides, everyone knows the single player of BC is where it's gonna be at. Did you fucking watch the quick look? That shit was mega awesome.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Systech

I won't change my opinion. I had fun with the demo, but if more reviews are like EDGE's then maybe I'll rethink a purchase and rent it instead.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

i think it was more to do with what the demo didn't show than what it did, which EDGE's review seemed intent on highlighting. It made me realize that the experience I had with the demo was carefully manipulated to sell me the final product - Mirror's Edge syndrome kicked in and I realized that just because the demo was incredible didnt mean the rest of the game would be. I'm not saying that reading the review turned me into a cynical bastard (I was halfway there already) but it certainly felt like a wake-up call. The content we see is carefully calculated to imply endless possibilities when the reality opon purchase often tends to be fairly underwhelming. I'm exercising caution and trying not to get sucked in.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

You can usually trust metacritic scores after reading a bunch of the high, medium, and low end reviews, but I'd NEVER listen to just one or two bad reviews, and completely write off the game because of them.  And yes, EDGE reviewers often seem like elitist pricks and attention whores, rather than game reviewers who are good at their job.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

GAH! Your blog title is a Lost episode!! LOST. FAN. OVERLOAD.

Anyway, I am out of that for now, and I really want to play Plants vs. Zombies. From everything I have heard, it is addicting fun. And I am sorry for the whole Ghostbuster exclusive deal that went on over in the Eastern Hemisphere. That is a dick move by Sony, but, then again, Microsoft did the same with Rock Band 2 last year. The anticipation in both of the games though is not exactly tantamount.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mikeeegeee

Well said, RHCP. also, great name.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.