• 53 results
BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
BioShock 2 DLC Minerva's Den and Protector Trials weren't supposed to hit the PC. When that stuff was more relevant to the game's audience, 2K Games cited "timing and technical issues" as the reasons PC gaming enthusiasts wouldn't see those add-ons. But things have changed, and both bits of content will now see a release. Cool!

Over on the game's official message board, 2K Elizabeth revealed this nice bit of information a couple of hours ago. She even took the time to explain specifically why the content packs didn't hit.  

Minerva's Den
Minerva's Den

== TEASER ==In short, Protector Trials was too buggy to release, but 2K has since puzzled out a way to eliminate bugs in the code that kept the studio from releasing it and a game wide patch. As far as Minerva's Den is concerned, well, the studio listened to user complaints and decided to reallocate resources to a PC version, which already existed in a working form before the team was pulled to do other stuff.  

A lot of critics spit big game about Minerva's Den. [Editor's Note: It is in fact one fantastic add-on. Buy it.] I've heard more than once that the DLC is more satisfying that the actual game, which just sounds weird [but true -ed.]. But, hey, now PC owners will get to see for themselves. You're happy, right? You should be!

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
BioShock 2 DLC Minerva's Den and Protector Trials weren't supposed to hit the PC. When that stuff was more relevant to the game's audience, 2K Games cited "timing and technical issues" as the reasons PC gaming enthusiasts wouldn't see those add-ons. But things have changed, and both bits of content will now see a release. Cool!

Over on the game's official message board, 2K Elizabeth revealed this nice bit of information a couple of hours ago. She even took the time to explain specifically why the content packs didn't hit.  

Minerva's Den
Minerva's Den

== TEASER ==In short, Protector Trials was too buggy to release, but 2K has since puzzled out a way to eliminate bugs in the code that kept the studio from releasing it and a game wide patch. As far as Minerva's Den is concerned, well, the studio listened to user complaints and decided to reallocate resources to a PC version, which already existed in a working form before the team was pulled to do other stuff.  

A lot of critics spit big game about Minerva's Den. [Editor's Note: It is in fact one fantastic add-on. Buy it.] I've heard more than once that the DLC is more satisfying that the actual game, which just sounds weird [but true -ed.]. But, hey, now PC owners will get to see for themselves. You're happy, right? You should be!

PixieNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PixieNinja

nice!
plague102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By plague102

sry i read under the pic and missed the stuff above my bad

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Xealot42

Good news.  I've been waiting to play this.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Deusx

So... no official date so far? I reaaaaally want to play Minervas Den since I enjoyed Bioshock 2 Main Campaign. 

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OldGuy
@plague102: You didn't really READ the article, did you? Since it's right in there in white on black (or black on white, if you use the BAD version of the site).
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Winternet

Good news

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
@plague102 said:
" Wonder why they took so long to publish this to pc "
The post pretty much explained it. What's left to wonder?
zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zaglis

Haha! I knew it! Thats why I still did not uninstall it.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By VicRattlehead

I guess I'll buy bioshock 2 the next time steam has a sale

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon

YAY! I'll actually get this then

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rasgueado

Actually yes. I *am* pleased to hear that. 

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dragonzord

They probably saw that article about how many Steam users there are and were like 

'..Fuck! that's money!'

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By XaiaX

Timing and technical issues: 

"Mafia 2 technically didn't make much money, so at this time we want to sell something profitable."

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Cybexx

Hooray! I'm a valued customer and that Downloadable Content option on the Single Player menu is not worthless

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By DukeTogo

Glad to hear it, although my tinfoil hat is glowing and that makes me think this was all part of a plan to cover up a delay and build up hype.  I also have concerns for the Steam version, which always tends to have extra baggage when it comes to DLC.

AndyS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AndyS

This almost smells of marketing.  It's an old strategy to take something off the table to make people want the thing more, then eventually "give in" to the demands to sell the thing later. 

Well played 2K.  Well played.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By koolaid

Hmmm... Brad made Minerva's den seem like a great story add on and once I realized I would never play it, I spoiled the hell out of it. And so the next day...  Karma I guess. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
@LiquidPrince said:
" @plague102 said:
The post pretty much explained it. What's left to wonder? "
Well, they gave an explanation of what happened, rather than why it happened. I'm pretty sure he was trying to ask why they just gave up working on it once they encountered some bugs and then proceeded to give up and then start work on another project? 

Why did they have to wait until a barrage of complaints to go back to working on something that they never should have stopped working on in the first place?

"Hey this DLC is kind of a bit buggy on PC; alright, fuck this, let's just work on something else now!"
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
@XaiaX said:
" Timing and technical issues:  "Mafia 2 technically didn't make much money, so at this time we want to sell something profitable." "
I lol'd.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond

Awesome, maybe if they fix the mouse input I can actually play the game finally.

Rastapasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rastapasta

Yes! I had put bioshock 2 for 360 on my gamefly because I only own the pc version and brad made it sound so good

matrices

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matrices

Nice. Maybe I'll now be inclined to pick up Bioshock 2 during the inevitable Steam Christmas sale.

Gilsham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gilsham

woot, maybe the multi will get a few more people for a bit cus of this also

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By guthwulf

We still need playlists for the Rapture  Metro Pack maps, though.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By darkjester74

Great news!  Glad they listen to the community on Minerva's Den.  I was seriously bummed out about that!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have neglected their PC fanbase so long I doubt anyone's even around to care anymore. Sorry 2K, its too little, too late.

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By udabenshen

Me=Happy!

JackGordon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JackGordon86

I'm not a PC gamer but this is very good news for those of you who are! This is actually a DLC chapter worth the bloody money.

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By Alphazero

Minerva's Den was awesome. Love the story, and it's very Bioshock through and through.  

I don't know that I'd say it was better than the full game of Bioshock 2, but then I really liked that story as well. A good story will more than make up for a lot of gameplay issues for me.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By 234r2we232

I feel terrible for those slow learners out there who are still prevalent in their bandwagon ways. BioShock 2 itself is actually very good.

Anyways, this is good news for PC users. Try not to pirate it :P

ComradeLarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ComradeLarko

Very happy to hear this. Will buy.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Milkman
@BeachThunder said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @plague102 said:
Well, they gave an explanation of what happened, rather than why it happened. I'm pretty sure he was trying to ask why they just gave up working on it once they encountered some bugs and then proceeded to give up and then start work on another project?   Why did they have to wait until a barrage of complaints to go back to working on something that they never should have stopped working on in the first place?  "Hey this DLC is kind of a bit buggy on PC; alright, fuck this, let's just work on something else now!" "
Piracy. Why spend all those man hours fixing those bugs when you're not going to turn a profit? 

That's my guess, anyway.
Metal_Mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Metal_Mills
@Milkman said:
" @BeachThunder said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @plague102 said:
Well, they gave an explanation of what happened, rather than why it happened. I'm pretty sure he was trying to ask why they just gave up working on it once they encountered some bugs and then proceeded to give up and then start work on another project?   Why did they have to wait until a barrage of complaints to go back to working on something that they never should have stopped working on in the first place?  "Hey this DLC is kind of a bit buggy on PC; alright, fuck this, let's just work on something else now!" "
Piracy. Why spend all those man hours fixing those bugs when you're not going to turn a profit?   That's my guess, anyway. "

People use piracy as a classic scapegoat these days. If piracy really was as bad as people claim, PC gaming would be dead. Blizzard, Relic, Valve, ect would be dead. Steam would be dead. And no games would ever come out. Piracy literally would have killed PC gaming years ago.
FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By FakeKisser

Glad to see this news! Will buy!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#36  Edited By alistercat

It's probbably too much to expect a GOTY Edition or something, to get all the DLC nice and cheap with the game considering I haven't played it yet.

JackGordon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JackGordon86
@Metal_Mills said:
People use piracy as a classic scapegoat these days. If piracy really was as bad as people claim, PC gaming would be dead. Blizzard, Relic, Valve, ect would be dead. Steam would be dead. And no games would ever come out. Piracy literally would have killed PC gaming years ago. "
QFT.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#38  Edited By gbrading

This is mad, crazy news. I'm glad they reversed the decision, but I don't know why we had to go through all the heartache in the first place. Still, 2K have partially redeemed themselves in my eyes. 
P.S. Plus, I read up what happened in Minerva's Den since I assumed I would never play it. :(
Warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#39  Edited By Warmachine

Excellent news! I bought Bioshock 2 on Steam and loved it and after hearing about Minerva's Den on the Bombcast I was pumped to play it. Glad I'll finally get the chance!

FormulaDeuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FormulaDeuce

Guess I'll wait and pick up this version when the DLC comes out.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By Dalai

Sweet! Now to finish Bioshock and actually start playing Bioshock 2.

Oriole2682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Oriole2682

Looks good

nmarchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nmarchan

This is why you don't use Games for Windows Live on your PC games.  They weren't going to release the patch because they didn't think it would pass Microsoft certification.  Why ON EARTH would you intentionally limit yourself with Microsoft's nonsense about certification for patches when the PC is an open platform?  It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  If not for GFWL, you could release a patch whenever you want.  Heck, if you use Steamworks, you can push any updates and small/large bugfixes out to your players with no trouble at all, automatically.   Stop ruining PC gaming, Microsoft.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By artofwar420

Cool, now I need to get the actual game.

zero3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By zero3

For one I'm not surprised. Usually when a developer says that something is not coming to PC, it really means "we'll release it on the PC after you buy the DLC on either the XBOX or PS3".

will_3rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By will_3rd

Good news, will definately buy this when it is out! But saying that I've just about had it with buggy GFLW titles now, will avoid these games like the plague from now on...

eloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By eloj

Alright, bring on the PlatinumPlus-version with everything included and you have a sale.

StickyMicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StickyMicky

NICE! 

I borrowed a mates 360 copy upon release and played through it, i was not overly impressed especially with the textures and graphics, so i figured i would pick up the PC version to keep later on down the line when it priced dropped.

I saw the version with the free collectors artbook on sale around a month back for 9.99 delivered (Zavvi uk)  

Did a quick e-search to find posts claiming a PC patch was in the works, so i picked it up, then a week or so later that nice Elizabeth lady posted up that they were pretty done with the pc version, so tough titty :/  

She was getting hammered on the forums about it, to be fair i would not have bought the game if i knew the pc version was getting dropped.

I don't buy much DLC nowadays at all, but the Minervas den has such good reviews.

Kittiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Kittiah

Excellent news. I was, shall we say, a tad miffed when I heard the news about them discontinuing P.C development. Had it just been for the DLC, I could have almost seen a reasonable argument for doing so, but discontinuing patch support for such a high profile game reeks of negligence.

Anyway, no need to worry now, I look forward to enjoying Minerva's Den when it finally makes an apperance on P.C

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By salad10203

I just finished Bioshock 2 for pc, good game.  Hopefully all the trolls will back it up by actually buying the dlc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.