Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

I hate this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So I let my friend borrow Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Oblivion and he's letting me borrow Bioshock 2 and Bulletstorm. 

I played the first 5 minutes of Bioshock 1. Just because I wasn't ready to play go through the experience at that time, and I liked the atmosphere. I'm a 50's buff, and I love horror so it seemed fine. Then around the time I wanted to play Bioshock, one of my friends did the unforgivable: He spoiled the end of Bioshock 1. 

This got me pissed off, and kind of killed my desire to play through it. Then I said "Fuck it let's try Bioshock 2."

Not even an hour in and it sucks ass.

Why? The combat is terrible, the loot system sucks, everything has ammo, you feel like fatass, enemies are EVERYWHERE and attack you relentlessly, multiplayer seems like an afterthough, the list goes on.

But even shoving all that aside, there came a part that had me screaming F bombs.  The part when the little sisters drain ADAM from dead bodies. 

This is where I gave up and utterly lost interest in ever returning to Rapture. Like I said before enemies relentlessly attack you, and I kept running out of ammo and the enemies destroyed the health machine. I must have died at least 15 times in this sequence before turning off the 360. Not to mention the enemies all respawn when you do, and all existing enemies are still there. 

Maybe I'm missing the point, but as of right now, all I have to say is: SCREW THIS GAME. 

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

Alright.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

I really disliked Bioshock 2, but I thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock 1. I have pretty much the same laundry list of complaints against #2 as you do. It's a shame somebody ruined #1 for ya.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gerhabio

The game's OK. I think the gameplay is better than in the first one but the story is definitely less intriguing. Un-pretentiously, I can tell you I didn't think it was too hard and I S-ranked it (excluding DLC). Once you figure out the rivet trap placement it's pretty manageable and once you get the wind traps to the level you can fuse them with swarm its a cake walk.

I agree that "you feel like fatass" if only because it sounds hilarious.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ShadowofIntent
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I never found it a hard game, not sure that you should have any difficulty if you're using traps, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CandiBunni said:
    Everything has ammo and yet you ran out of ammo? I never found the game too difficult. Learn to save, and save often. If you find a health machine, you can destroy it to get a free health kit. If you set up traps along the area before choosing to let the little sister harvest, you don't have to worry that much about enemies. I had plenty of trip wires (or whatever they're called) and I was able to get through those sections with very little trouble.  Even though your friend spoiled the ending to Bioshock 1, you should still play it. It's a very good game, and while the second doesn't have that initial "OMG" feeling like the first did, it's still quite an enjoyable ride.  "You feel like a fatass." You're a Big Daddy in Bioshock 2, so that's why. I also thought the combat was quite fun.
    Hm, perhaps I'll try that.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Loved Bioshock, had a feeling Bioshock 2 would be shit, didn't play it.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By innacces14

BioShock 2 was okay. I found the gameplay more fluid (hehe... cause, like, they're underwater amiright? Right?! Alright!), but the thing that was so annoying (to me at least) was the introduction of Sofia Lamb. How the hell was anyone suppose to top Andrew Ryan? He was so enigmatic and at times charming and persuasive that you couldn't bare but just love to hate and hate to love the guy. Lamb was the character narrators had to talk about in trailers saying (in Jeff Gerstmann's old HotSpot intro voice) "Remember the bad guy in the first one?! Well here's a villain that's TEN TIMES WORSE!"

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IBurningStar

I hated Bioshock 2, loved the first one, though. I thought the second game was just inferior in almost every way. The level design and pacing wasn't anywhere near as well thought out as the original's. The story wasn't as interesting. I thought the last two hours of that game were flat out annoying. Combat was a bit more exciting, I guess. 

The first game seemed to have a much clearer idea of what it was and it knew its strengths and weaknesses. It took these things into account and worked around them. It also didn't force you into doing these tedious protect the little sister from waves of enemies scenarios. Yeah, they were sort of optional, but compulsive, completionist me is going to do them. I might need that ADAM somewhere down the road! I view that second game as nothing more than a cash in. What made Bioshock so great was impossible to recreate without doing something radically different. I've been to Rapture, I've explored it. The mystery and mystique is gone. I have seen the fall of that civilization and the power struggle that was at the heart of it. Throwing in another character doesn't bring new life into it. Especially if the character is as unlikable and bland as Lamb.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NMC2008

I am replaying this right this minute and I love it just as much as I did the first one.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I liked Bioshock 1, but after seeing Bioshock 2 in action I knew I didn't want to play it. Infinite looks great though.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By swoxx

Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about. I found the first bioshock mediocre at best. I had to push myself to finish it at all. Never touched 2 and I won't be picking up infinite

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By freakin9

Bought it for 5 bucks, I think it's a fun dynamic if you switch your brain off and just pretend you are this mindless brute exerting it's power over the world. When you start dissecting the story and why you have all these powers it can kinda falls apart. Just kill, and kill some more, until everything is dead and your little sister is safe. (or not, I don't know how the story plays out as of now)

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog

My only problem with the game was Sofia, I hated her so much it almost made me stop playing altogether. At least the first game had good characters...

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeF

@NMC2008 said:

I am replaying this right this minute and I love it just as much as I did the first one.

So do I. I loved everything about this game except that you couldn't go back to previous areas.

I had tons of fun setting up traps around the Adam locations, preparing kill areas and shielding the Little Sister. The weapons feel great, I don't care much for straight turn-your-brain-off shooters. And what "loot" system is there? You pick up ammo, Eve and health items from enemies and objects ...that's hardly loot.

@Turtlebird95: what did you expect the game to be?!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm the only person that enjoyed both Bioshock 1 and 2. 

I thoroughly admit the first is the superior experience, of course. But 2 is the better game.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Turtlebird95: Do not fret brother, Bioshock Infinite will surpass Bioshock 2 easily. And if it surpasses the original, game of the year right there.
    Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arbie

@Marokai said:

Nope, I'm with you on that one!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

Huh. OK. Well, I liked Bioshock 2, not quite as much as the first, but I still thought it was great.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By C0V3RT

@Erzs said:

@Marokai said:

I'm with you too. Also, the multiplayer to Bioshock 2... not awful!

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rekt_Hed

I WILL FIGHT YOU AND YOUR FRIEND!

Any friend that spoils the end of Bioshock 1 should no longer be considered a friend

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai

@Turtlebird95: The end of Bioshock 1 is not as important as the middle point and the things you find while exploring. You are denying yourself a great game.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DeF

@Erzs said:

@Marokai said:

that's four people on this page alone if I counted correctly :)

edit: I'm too stupid to count. that's like 5-6 people in total so far :D

@Mordukai said:

@Turtlebird95: The end of Bioshock 1 is not as important as the middle point and the things you find while exploring. You are denying yourself a great game.

totally true! it's never just about the ending ...it's what happens on your way there.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

I am having a hell of a time playing Halo HD on heroic (not even legendary). I'm screaming constantly to my tv so loud I'm sure the nerghbors have heard me.. 'Where IS a FUCKING Health Kit???' but I do not dare to publically complaign on the forums, know what I would get... skillzzzzzzzzzzz.

That said, I loved Bioshock 2, but some ppl. didn't so thats me. Wonderful to dual wield. I think the game just hit you wrong in more than one way.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gike987

I hated the first Bioshock (only played it for like 3 hours before I couldn't stand playing the game any longer) so I never even played the second game. The combat was just bad and the setting stopped being interesting after the first two areas.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Klei

Bioshock 2 is just as good as the first, but 50% of the human race is stupid, so they manage to find problems to a game that has none. It's just a new episode in the Bioshock series, and that's it. 

As for TC not liking the game, go play CoD or something less intellectual, you seem like that kind of guy anyways.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Cirdain

It wasn't that bad.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By ddensel

I'm playing through Bioshock 2, after only playing through the first 2 or so hours of the first game. Dual wielding makes the gameplay of the second feel better, and being a big daddy doesn't feel as cumbersome as I though it would be (the speed tonic helps). Overall I'm liking it quite a lot, definitely worth it cuz you can get it for around $10.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aus_azn

@Swoxx said:

Honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about. I found the first bioshock mediocre at best. I had to push myself to finish it at all. Never touched 2 and I won't be picking up infinite

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0017840c01a
    deactivated-5f0017840c01a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awe the problem is you didn't immerse yourself in Bioshock 1 and missed the fundamental love for the game/characters. I'd suggest playing thru the first one... I agree the ending isn't great but because you had it spoiled.... doesn't take away from the game itself.

I agree at first the little sisters harvesting Adam was a mood killer. That's not what my problem was at first...it was what happened after harvesting the little sisters when you get to encounter the big sister... fun fun. I just LOVE vitachambers for that reason. I think Bioshock 2 is amazing... people knock it as not as great as the first and I agree the first is well the first... Nothing can top the initial idea that was Bioshock. But number 2 has so many more amazing features to the game....especially towards the end. It incorporates the dynamics of the first, so not even playing the first game you get the idea of how to play identically like the first.

But to cut this short... don't knock it yet. It's a crazy in depth story line, obviously the atmosphere and graphics are AMAZING. The music is pretty awesome and I love that it changes with the area and moods. The characters you can get completely immersed into, and your choice of what to use and upgrades for plasmids and guns, your choice in saving or killing people, or saving and/or harvesting the little girls... Uggg SOO GOOD!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.