Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Lens of Truth Bioshock 2 Comparison.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=17989&cpage=1#comment-10410  

was close, but 360 won out with better Water effects and better Reflections. However, PS3 version outperformed it in the Screen Tearing deaprtment. 360 had more torn frames. So pick what you want, better looking version or better running version.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

It wants me to register :(

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

do people actually care about those things??? 

most people cant even tell the difference 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4  Edited By natetodamax
    @ZombieHunter said:
    " do people actually care about those things???   most people cant even tell the difference  "
    I'm sure there are people out there that look at screenshots with giant magnifying glasses and say "Hey, I found a blurry pixel! This version is inferior to the other!"
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By mrhankey
    @Raven_Sword: Can we get performance results as compared to a PC?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @ZombieHunter said:

" do people actually care about those things???   most people cant even tell the difference  "

LoT isn't made for most people. It's clearly aimed at and maintained by those who have an eye for detail and understand the technical differences between one technique and another.  Most people can't tell the difference between Brown and Chocolate in colour terms but there are still people who are employed by pigment producing companies because they can tell the difference between them.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz
    @mrhankey said:
    " @Raven_Sword: Can we get performance results as compared to a PC? "
    It wouldn't be fair.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

Yeah, you gotta register, but its free. also, no, they didnt have a PC version running for comparison. Theyre strictly PS3 vs 360.
    berva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By berva

That Lens Of Truth site is crazy....thanks for the great link, well worth the free registration.

Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
    @mrhankey said:
    " @Raven_Sword: Can we get performance results as compared to a PC? "
    It runs at a vsync capped 60fps on my Phenom X4 2.8Ghz and ATI 4890 on Windows 7 x64. And there is some noticeable graphical improvements so it wasn't just a straight up port.
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By azteris
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:

LoT isn't made for most people. It's clearly aimed at and maintained by those who have an eye for detail and understand the technical differences between one technique and another.  Most people can't tell the difference between Brown and Chocolate in colour terms but there are still people who are employed by pigment producing companies because they can tell the difference between them. "
    The problem is that it just ends up being fanboy fuel.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword
    @berva:

Theyre right though. (atleast, they have facts to prove there right.)
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword
    @Azteris:
    there needed though. I mean, what if Im trying to pick which version tog et. Reviews these days dont tell you the difference unless its blatant.
    ThatFrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By ThatFrood
    @ZombieHunter said:
    You should watch almost any quick look of an fps-type game. Jeff and Ryan mention screen tearing aaaaaall the time.
    Do I notice? no, not really. But apparently it is there!
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Torn frames really mean nothing, if the FPS is maintained, alot of people dont realize what torn frames mean.
    when your playing the game you will see a ghost like line going through screen and progressing up, as long as it only happens a minimal amount and not constantly its not a big thing at all, and is easy to ignore.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ravensword
    @WilliamRLBaker:

Agreed, but some games have Horrific tearing, Like call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Azteris said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:

LoT isn't made for most people. It's clearly aimed at and maintained by those who have an eye for detail and understand the technical differences between one technique and another.  Most people can't tell the difference between Brown and Chocolate in colour terms but there are still people who are employed by pigment producing companies because they can tell the difference between them. "
    The problem is that it just ends up being fanboy fuel. "
    So what?  Better said fuel is based in fact than via uneducated commentary.  Fanboys are not my problem,  people who don't know what they're talking about are and sites like LoT who research and can prove their claims make me a lot happier for their existence.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryanwho
    @ZombieHunter said:
    Stupid, petty people care.
    Kaz_Hooray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kaz_Hooray
    @natetodamax said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    I'm sure there are people out there that look at screenshots with giant magnifying glasses and say "Hey, I found a blurry pixel! This version is inferior to the other!" "
    Hahaha, classic. Wow!
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ryanwho said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    Stupid, petty people care. "
    Stupid people as in super fan boys?

I never got why they did these. All it really does is stir up fighting.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ravensword
    @The_Laughing_Man:

So people deciding which version to get can get teh best one. There needed since Reviews dont go indepth enough on the differences. They only let you know if there as big as bayonettas.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Raven_Sword said:

" @The_Laughing_Man: So people deciding which version to get can get teh best one. There needed since Reviews dont go indepth enough on the differences. They only let you know if there as big as bayonettas. "

However about 99% of the time its nothing you can notice. Again it seems more as a way just to spur fighting.

Bayonetta was a fluke *A nice big one*

Edit.

Not gonna sign up to just see a video. Seems like a way to bloat members.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    Stupid people as in super fan boys?  I never got why they did these. All it really does is stir up fighting. "
    The kind of people that would rather spend hundreds of hours warring on the internet than just spend an additional 300 dollars and not have to convince themselves that exclusive x "probably isnt that good anyway" and some such nonesense. Even the guy living in mom's basement, hey man, you can cut back on the hot pockets a few weeks and probably afford rival system x, then use that time void you once spent console warring on a min wage career path. This isn't rocket science, come to a fork in the road, take it. Simple.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By captain_clayman

PC still better than both of them.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @captain_clayman:
    Indeed.   The PS3 version looks crap by comparison.
    Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rebirth1337

I usually look at LoT to see which version has a better Frame Rate.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @ryanwho said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    @Azteris said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:

That website just caters to fanboys then. Making sure my paint color is brown and not chocolate is very important when you consider the many number of things I can use the paint for or paint in general. It would look real bad if I was painting a chocolate bar but because it was brown instead, everybody thought I painted scat.  But this is a video game, one of which is mostly used for personal entertainment. Also maxed out PC that cost way more than you want to spend for it will beat them both.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:
    @Azteris said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @ZombieHunter said:

That website just caters to fanboys then. Making sure my paint color is brown and not chocolate is very important when you consider the many number of things I can use the paint for or paint in general. It would look real bad if I was painting a chocolate bar but because it was brown instead, everybody thought I painted scat.  But this is a video game, one of which is mostly used for personal entertainment. Also maxed out PC that cost way more than you want to spend for it will beat them both. "
    Huh?  I know you're trying to communicate an idea, but I don't quite get your logic.  Lens of Truth doesn't cater to fanboys because it presents no bias.  LoT deals in facts, not biased opinions.  If people want the best graphical detail in this game then they want the PC version which runs at resolutions well beyond the console version.  If they own both consoles and no PC but still have an eye for detail then the XBOX 360 version should be selected as it has visibly better colours, water and particle effects.    The argument that this is video game so why should anyone care is stupid.  The PS3 and XBOX 360 consoles are sold on their High Definition capabilities so people are obviously looking for experiences which reflect these capabilities properly.  If a game is better represented on one of these consoles then those who care will buy that version, those that won't will just buy whichever version is most convenient for them. The problem with these discussions isn't down to sites like LoT, it's down to people who just can't deal with facts and who have to describe people who have an eye for detail pejoratively using terms like petty and stupid.  If people could just stick to the facts then all of these discussions would be much simpler.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29  Edited By mrhankey
    @Suicidal_SNiper: I know it runs well on the pc. I'm playing it on the pc. I wa just poking fun at the OP. The idea is this:

Person 1: Looks better on 360.
    Person 2: Looks better on PS3
    Person 3: two words, Personal Computer.

The point being, it doesn't matter which it looks best on. Nor is it interesting, because there is always something better than the last.

Its more about which control scheme you like more. (ie: which controller)
    wermax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By wermax
    @mrhankey: I personally think that if u got a good machine (PC) and u play on full settings than it looks better on PC  than on any console, as of to controls i find mouse and keybord best for FPSs but as a console gamer I don't see much difference between PS3 and 360 controlers
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @SeriouslyNow: If people just stuck to the facts, there would be no discussion, but regurgitation of the facts. The people that take the time to discern the 2% difference between the versions aren't stupid and petty but rather the people that point them out to persuade others in buying one version over the other. I can certainly understand if the difference was big like Bayanetta, but a small barely noticable difference unless you are trying to look for it difference? thats when you are hitting fanboyism since I certainly don't feel I am enjoying the product 2% less even if some website tries to prove otherwise.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: If people just stuck to the facts, there would be no discussion, but regurgitation of the facts. The people that take the time to discern the 2% difference between the versions aren't stupid and petty but rather the people that point them out to persuade others in buying one version over the other. I can certainly understand if the difference was big like Bayanetta, but a small barely noticable difference unless you are trying to look for it difference? thats when you are hitting fanboyism since I certainly don't feel I am enjoying the product 2% less even if some website tries to prove otherwise. "
    What the what?  I'm sure people can discuss facts.  I know I can.  I don't think we all need to remain either ignorant or non cogniscent of reality to be able to enjoy a fruitful and informative discussion. I also don't agree with your delineation. Bayonetta on PS3 was essentially a poor release, due to its unstable framerate but you're saying that in the case of Bioshock on PSS3 where the fidelity looks obviously worse; lower res textures, lower res water effects, lower detail particle effects we should just not call that the lesser of the two console releases because its flaws aren't as immediately obvious to the layman?  That sounds like a bullshit line in the sand attitude to me.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @SeriouslyNow: You apparently have no reading comprehension at all. the Bayanetta example is one that we should care about hence that website has a purpose. But when the conclusion is 2% or some low number, there is no "winner" since you had to literally count pixels and frames to see any difference.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @SeriouslyNow: You apparently have no reading comprehension at all. the Bayanetta example is one that we should care about hence that website has a purpose. But when the conclusion is 2% or some low number, there is no "winner" since you had to literally count pixels and frames to see any difference. "

Seeing as you're acting like a dick critcising my apparent lack of reading comprehension it's spelled Bayonetta and has been on every box, poster, article and screenshot you fool.  Comparisons are not always only about framerate differences especially in those games like Bioshock 2 whose particle and render to texture effects are responsible for setting the mood of the surroundings and when they either don't reach equal levels on fidelity on both console versions or have glaring bugs which lead to certain effects not rendering properly on one specific release, it makes a difference to some people, ie Corey's comment at the end of the LoT article on Bioshock 2:-

" The decision was really tough for me, but I’m buying this for the Xbox 360. Although I hate frame tearing, the water and reflections looked way better on the Xbox 360, and I prefer my candles without Legos on top."

Now obviously there are some who either won't notice or care for the detail diffrerences and others for whom framerate is more important, so they will probably opt for the PS3 release which uses Vsync throughout and so doesn't suffer from screentear. As Drew remarks:-

Bioshock 2 is no Bayonetta. At least with Bayonetta, it was obvious who won. With Bioshock 2, neither console was perfect, nor were they terrible. It might just come down to whether you want to wait a few seconds more and get some odd candles and water reflections, or do you want your game so quick, your screen tears? For me, I’ll take a better performing game.

The article goes to some lengths to point out that for them there is no clear winner unlike the example of Bayonetta, yet for me fidelity always wins over vsync when the framerate difference is so marginal, so I would select 360.   If you call that counting pixels well good luck to you.  
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By JJOR64

Does it really matter if one version looks better then the other?  Their both the same exact game.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @SeriouslyNow: LMAO, is the sand out of your vagina now?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: LMAO, is the sand out of your vagina now? "
    Yes thanks. How's yours, still infected I gather?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: LMAO, is the sand out of your vagina now? "
    Yes thanks. How's yours, still infected I gather? "
    Nah, I got a cream for that
    Nintendude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nintendude

Heheh. Nice conclusion there ^^

Personally I just pick the console I have more games on, because of the online profiles and friend lists with them. It is partly a multiplayer game after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.