Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

The Art of Bioshock Infinite book. (Spoilers I guess?)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Got my copy today and it's pretty awesome. From the looks of the scrapped enemy concepts, the game was originally much more of a horror game. I mean, there's a class of enemy that eats the flesh of others and mutates. One of them is a woman with gigantic blood red arms, and a cage on her head. It's pretty freaky. There are also people who have mutated because they entered tears.

It looks like they were originally going to delve into the concept of vigors a lot more, with people who are covered in what looks like crystals because they are addicted to vigors.

Anyone else pick it up?

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Had no idea there was an art book for this game. Instantly interested.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I also got it and its pretty cool.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Barrock

As soon as I heard about it I knew I had to have it.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I want this book.

Anonymgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Anonymgeist

My copy arrived yesterday and it's fantastic. I do wish there was more of the final art rather than scrapped concepts... I'd totally be willing to shell out another $30 for a book just of that.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By jadegl

Yeah I was surprised when I got my copy yesterday that it was so much of the early concept art and not examples of the final artwork. It was actually very interesting to see how many ideas they had and decided not to use. But that means, of course, that the actual final versions have maybe a picture or two in the book. Not complaining obviously! I just feel like they probably could make a whole other book filled with art reflecting the final game. I would certainly buy it, the stuff is amazing.

My favorite part was seeing the page with their ideas for how the tears would change the people and that different versions of people would be merged together. I can see why the idea was scrapped because they look a lot like splicers from BioShock, but the idea is really interesting and more visually arresting than what they did in the end, which was the flickering film grain effect on the people being *merged* or whatever by the tears and their influence. I took a picture and I will post it later when I get a chance.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe some of the enemy designs will show up in the DLC?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@barrock: Slate totally had crystals sticking out of his head, so I bet there's a chance for some DLC regarding the vigors.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gaminghooligan: I was wondering if they scrapped the vigor junkies because, again, it seemed too much like the first BioShock and having the splicers addicted to the plasmids? They don't mention whether they completely scrapped the idea in the book, but it would be cool to see it explored in DLC, much like more of the enemies that they decided not to use in the final product maybe showing up as part of a DLC story.

The shear amount of cool ideas in the book is just crazy. Some I can see them not returning to, namely because other ideas replaced them (the Siren completely replaced a different idea for a resurrecting villian-type) but others seem like they would fit right in and add to the universe.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they decide to do. :)

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: Slate totally had crystals sticking out of his head, so I bet there's a chance for some DLC regarding the vigors.

You're right. These people are almost totally made of crystal though, so they had it way worse than Slate.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By awesomeusername

That looks pretty cool. I have the art book that came with the collectors edition and it doesn't have any of what you said. Just mostly different iterations for all the characters, enemies, some vigors and other stuff.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock

That looks pretty cool. I have the art book that came with the collectors edition and it doesn't have any of what you said. Just mostly different iterations for all the characters, enemies, some vigors and other stuff.

I have that as well. In the back there's an ad that says "Hey, check out the full art book with a lot more!".

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@awesomeusername said:

I have that as well. In the back there's an ad that says "Hey, check out the full art book with a lot more!".

Huh, I probably just skipped that. I would like the book but I won't pay $30 for a book. I'm not crazy.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

@awesomeusername said:

Huh, I probably just skipped that. I would like the book but I won't pay $30 for a book. I'm not crazy.

$23 on Amazon. Totally worth it.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

$23 on Amazon. Totally worth it.

Eh. Still to much for something I'll look through once and put away. I'll save that money for games.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zella

I hate artbooks like this, they are so cool that I wish the end game resembled the concept art more. Same thing goes with DmC's concept art, there was some dark looking motherfuckers in there and in the final game they are relatively tame.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By DoctorTran

Yep... I'm definitely going to have to buy this now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.