Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Unusual levels of stupidity concerning Bioshock: Infinity.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Edited By MordeaniisChaos

So I went on Gamersyde.com to look for updates, and saw that just about everyone was pissy that a Bioshock game.... had similarities to, shock, other Bioshock games. What the hell? Its a franchise. I know its a franchise that depends on discovery a lot, but from what I've heard from just about anyone seeing the game is that the game, while it has the basic concepts of previous games, it handles everything in a pretty different way, and they have managed to make the game feel a lot different. Yet these idiots are bitching about how there are some vague similarities and some not so vague concepts, but most of them have nothing to do with the discovery of the game. 

So I'm curious what the reaction is here on Giantbomb. I wasn't super surprised to see that level of ignorance from Gamersyde, but the community there is pretty small.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

So I went on Gamersyde.com to look for updates, and saw that just about everyone was pissy that a Bioshock game.... had similarities to, shock, other Bioshock games. What the hell? Its a franchise. I know its a franchise that depends on discovery a lot, but from what I've heard from just about anyone seeing the game is that the game, while it has the basic concepts of previous games, it handles everything in a pretty different way, and they have managed to make the game feel a lot different. Yet these idiots are bitching about how there are some vague similarities and some not so vague concepts, but most of them have nothing to do with the discovery of the game. 

So I'm curious what the reaction is here on Giantbomb. I wasn't super surprised to see that level of ignorance from Gamersyde, but the community there is pretty small.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FunExplosions

Most people here seem to like what they're doing. I'm on the side with the people who are angry. Not because it's the same old Bioshock, but because they never fixed the clunky controls, repetitive gameplay, or annoying enemies and AI. These games would be sooooo much better if they would just incorporate some decent modern gameplay mechanics. 

Honestly, it isn't  "style" they're going for. Well, even if it is, it doesn't work. If feels like I'm playing a broken first-person mod for Ratchet and Clank. And, well... I appear to be in the minority, so I guess I'm just wrong about all this.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo

It depends whether the similarities are there because that's genuinely what Mr. Levine et al thought was best for their new game, or because marketing wanted Bioshock on the box and they had to justify using the brand.

If great developers are having to compromise for the sake of marketing & branding, then that's something we should all be pissy about.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I like the new setting far more than some wanky underwater place stuck in the 50s.

Cloud City FTW

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By DocHaus

It seems interesting...I guess? Don't have enough info to make that decision yet.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Jost1
    @FunExplosions said:
    " Most people here seem to like what they're doing. I'm on the side with the people who are angry. Not because it's the same old Bioshock, but because they never fixed the clunky controls, repetitive gameplay, or annoying enemies and AI. These games would be sooooo much better if they would just incorporate some decent modern gameplay mechanics.  Honestly, it isn't  "style" they're going for. Well, even if it is, it doesn't work. If feels like I'm playing a broken first-person mod for Ratchet and Clank. And, well... I appear to be in the minority, so I guess I'm just wrong about all this. "
    How do you know all this, though.  You've seen snippets of unfinished gameplay.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @josty81: Well, I don't. I definitely don't expect them to change the entire gameplay system, though. Especially if they were already willing to show off 10 minutes of "gameplay" to the public. 

Stranger things have happened, though. My first hope was that these guys would pull a Borderlands, and revamp the whole thing. Not gonna expect that, though.
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@FunExplosions: Well it sounds to me like you are a) assuming they HAVEN'T fixed that, or won't fix that and b) not really the person who would appreciate a Bioshock game anyway. Most people who enjoyed it, like me, enjoyed the gameplay enough that the story was enough to make that game amazing. If it isn't enough for you, is it possible this franchise just isn't for you? 

And what do you mean "already"? You realize that Bioshock 2 was a separate production right? Like, not the same team. The original Bioshock team felt they didn't need to make another game in Rapture. So "already" seems like the wrong way to put it.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kishan6
    @FunExplosions: I like the gameplay...
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I have absolutely no idea why people would be upset ot even cynical about this whole thing - even at first glimpse.
    This is what I thought Bioshock 2 should've been and if anything, Bioshock 2 should've been the game receiving all this bullshit.

People are constantly bitching about how sequels are just a rehash but the second you try to serve them any kind of change the shit always hits the fan.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By fjordson
    @FunExplosions said:

" @josty81: Well, I don't. I definitely don't expect them to change the entire gameplay system, though. Especially if they were already willing to show off 10 minutes of "gameplay" to the public.  Stranger things have happened, though. My first hope was that these guys would pull a Borderlands, and revamp the whole thing. Not gonna expect that, though. "

You're right. This looks like the same old BioShock. They've been just sort of dicking around, watching football for the last 5 years. This game will suck, guaranteed.

I couldn't agree more with the OP. Unusual levels of stupidity is an extremely apt way to put it. Irrational straight up refused to do BioShock 2 because they didn't want to release a rehash of something they've already done. And now they're taking 5 whole years developing this new BioShock in an entirely new engine and people are still crying about the BioShock name? What in the fuck? If Irrational was looking for a cash-in then why the shit did they opt out of BioShock 2? I think it's clear that they want to make another original and unique game.

And never mind the fact that Ken Levine's been making good games for over a decade now.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I don't understand the hate either.  The gameplay problems people are complaining about seem to be just the team putting out gameplay videos so no one knows how its plays.  I don't understand why people are talking about the Ai for this game when the game isn't even finished.  However we all know time travel exists right?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By DeF

@FunExplosions said:

" Most people here seem to like what they're doing. I'm on the side with the people who are angry. Not because it's the same old Bioshock, but because they never fixed the clunky controls, repetitive gameplay, or annoying enemies and AI. These games would be sooooo much better if they would just incorporate some decent modern gameplay mechanics.  Honestly, it isn't  "style" they're going for. Well, even if it is, it doesn't work. If feels like I'm playing a broken first-person mod for Ratchet and Clank. And, well... I appear to be in the minority, so I guess I'm just wrong about all this. "

there is a whole lot of judging going on based on barely ten minutes of video .... judging about things that pertain to actually playing the game yourself (for more than 10 mins). Also, BioShock games aren't about split second twitch reaction shooter gameplay, I don't know where you get that part about "clunky" controls from. The game ctontols perfectly fine for me. If you want a game that is all about shooting mechanics, you might wanna play a different game.
    OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OldGuy

The answer is pretty simple:
    Change the game completely and people bitch.
    Don't change anything and people bitch.
    Change the game some, but not a complete rework and people bitch.

Or (even more simply):
    This is the internet. People bitch.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jost1
    @Jimbo said:
    " It depends whether the similarities are there because that's genuinely what Mr. Levine et al thought was best for their new game, or because marketing wanted Bioshock on the box and they had to justify using the brand.

I don't see how it could be the latter. I don't see it. I mean yeah, often you can see the marketing people at work behind the scenes but I don't see it in this case.
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By audiosnag

I don't see how somebody could watch the gameplay video and not be a least a little interested.
    I think it looks so damn good.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

Battlefield Bad Company 2 sucks because you can still blow up buildings like in Bad Company, im so tired of companies trying to pump out the same shit!

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By sagesebas
    @MordeaniisChaos: I think it looks awesome watched the gameplay demo and the interview, I probably haven't been this floored by a game in a long time
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jost1

Gears of War 2 added nothing to the gameplay formula and people loved it. I loved it too because I realise originality isn't the end-all and be-all.

Bioshock Infinite looks to be adding LOADS though. Wide open spaces, combat at 80mph, crowd control, throwing fucking horses at things

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OldGuy
    @josty81 said:
    " Gears of War 2 added nothing to the gameplay formula and people loved it. I loved it too because I realise originality isn't the end-all and be-all.  Bioshock Infinite looks to be adding LOADS though. Wide open spaces, combat at 80mph, crowd control, throwing fucking horses at things "
    Wow, while Ken didn't talk about the problems of grabbing two independent moving objects engaged in copulation out of the air I bet it's a bitch to program! :-)
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jost1
    @OldGuy said:
    " @josty81 said:
    " Gears of War 2 added nothing to the gameplay formula and people loved it. I loved it too because I realise originality isn't the end-all and be-all.  Bioshock Infinite looks to be adding LOADS though. Wide open spaces, combat at 80mph, crowd control, throwing fucking horses at things "
    Wow, while Ken didn't talk about the problems of grabbing two independent moving objects engaged in copulation out of the air I bet it's a bitch to program! :-) "
    I have inside info!  There will also be fucking Handymen, fucking crows, and fucking minutemen
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Chokobo

I like that the base is still there (plasmids/potions with gunplay), but I'm more excited about the new setting and the fact that there's actually a sniper rifle in this one.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ajamafalous
    @josty81 said:
    " throwing fucking horses at things "
    The most important revelation from that trailer.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

On the internet no level of stupidity is unusual, there's plenty of stupid people out there saying stupid things every day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.