Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

After 9 years they finally fixed this bug, and nobody but me probably cares

zabattacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zabattacks

To give you some context, you have to give up your weapons and fight only with Plasmids when you fight Peach Wilkins in the Freezer Area.

Once you are done fighting Peach Wilkins, you go to get your weapons back, and you do not have ANYWHERE NEAR the alternate ammo and ammo count you had when you gave up your weapons in the first place.

All that hoarding ammo meant nothing because it all disappeared.

FIXED BABY....fixed.....

Just wanted to let you know that 9 year old fixes are still exciting.

PS: Does anyone remember this bug??

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Don't remember that, but happy4u.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I remember that quite well. I was amazingly pissed.

zabattacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: I'm glad you recall this! It drove me up the wall! I replayed this game over 15 times on 360, PS3 and PC. It was never addressed haha. It's a shame the PC Port seems to be having more problems than solutions, but this is a small win for a Bioshock fan.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a shock and whack player. Never noticed, but cool that they fixed it.

zabattacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ungodly: Ah the good ol' one-two. I hope you used Wrench Jockey and the likes!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. I played the game through about five times on the 360, once or twice on PS3, and once on Steam, and I don't remember that; maybe it wasn't a huge concern of mine which is the reason it didn't stick out. Glad it's fixed though! I'm on Infinite of the collection now. I went through the first, two, and Minerva's Den, and now I just got past the part where the guy stabs Booker's hand in Infinite.

zabattacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Having played those older ones recently, do you find Infinite to be a tad simplified? I miss the small things like the alarms, the ability to have more than 2 weapons at a time, etc.

Maybe I enjoyed the nuisances because of nostalgia, maybe I'm wrong.

What's your take?

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed this the first time through back in 2007, however, they definitely gave you the ammo back in a later patch, because I always specifically looked for it and remember being happy they did so.

Also, a small tip for everyone; when you get to this area, dont ever pick up the grenade launcher at the beginning; instead, when you go back to this area and you relinquish your weapons, go back and then pick it up afterwards, you now have the grenade launcher to use during the boss fight.

You can also telekinesis a weapon pickup from outside and bring it in, just remember the door locks behind you.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@zabattacks: Simplified isn't necessarily the reason I don't like Infinite as much, but yeah, I don't like Infinite as much as the first game (I always liked it as much as two, for different reasons; both superb, but not as good as the first). Mechanically, it's fine. I feel like I've said it too many times, at least to want to say it again right now. To be short about it, Columbia is a nice looking place, but I like Rapture way more and its self-contained story, with the assortment of interesting characters. I am not as into the way combat is approached (even if the shooting is arguably better), where it feels a lot more standard, since in the first, you would just walk around Rapture, and there'd be Rapture's drug addicted citizens crazily rambling, waiting to take you on on sight, or for you to just walk on by going to the next destination, as opposed to 'clear this area out, and then you can move on'.

Also, initially, I was disappointed that Infinite didn't even upgrade the look of the weapon when you upgrade the gun. That was cool. It doesn't bother me now, but it was just one of those things where, the less Infinite was like the first, the more disappointed I was. That said, the things Infinite does do with character and story, I love. I was excited to play Infinite before it came out because, like the first game, I wanted to be transported to a place and a time, where there was something interesting going on there; you'd explore themes that made you think, and you felt part of that mystery, as well as taking in bits of history, down to details like listening to music from 1912, but that's not exactly what it was; that was more of a facade to what it was really about, though what it was really about, I actually love. Take away a plus, and put another plus in, though for me, it didn't entirely make up for the loss of the other.

When I booted up Infinite earlier today, the aspect of simplification didn't so much as come to mind in that way, I never really thought about the alarm aspect (although jumping from two, into Infinite, not being able to shoot at a camera or turret with a hack tool, it was slightly jarring), though I had heard people dislike the only two weapon approach. That doesn't bother me. I did think about just how far you can streamline something, and how/if that changes the impact of anything. For instance, in the first two Bioshock games, you had to choose which plasmid you wanted to have out until changing it when you go to a gene bank, while in Infinite, all you have to do is select the vigor by pressing and holding a button down to open a wheel menu. Same with abilities, only they're in the goal/map/voxaphone menu. There feels like a lot less options in Infinite, but I kind of like that you can choose between any of them on the fly.

They're all, always fresh in my mind, but still, jumping from one game to the next, the differences are clearly felt. I have to say, I don't really get the complaint of not being able to dual wield the plasmid and gun in the first, when you can in the second, because the only difference is between how fast you can do it, and we're talking about seconds.

Edit - Playing Infinite now. Also, something that comes to mind, which is also partially a reason I don't like Columbia as much, is just by its visuals. When you look out over the cityscape, in Rapture, it filled me with wonder, where I could think 'I wonder what's going on there'. It was either detailed with lights and what looked like in engine graphics, or in the farther distance, a beautiful painting that was perfectly suitable, and really felt distant. Sometimes, the only thing that was distracting, which I really only just noticed going through it on this collection, is that some windows would show the same exact thing, even if you're looking in an entirely different direction, and sometimes not show an area, like a walkway or building you were just in. In Columbia though, when you do the same, throughout the majority, especially where I am now, just outside of the Hall of Heroes, you look out, and many of the buildings are not only the same, they also look like terribly cut pieces of paper floating in the sky, where it's hard to imagine that there are inhabitants there.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whats a bioshock

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Now that you mention it I seem to remember that happening.

Weird they went back to fix it but I'm glad they did.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@zabattacks: infinite does 2 things better than the original, which is the shooting mechanics are decent and it looks nicer. Besides that, the original is superior in every way. So many little nuances that make every system jive really well together. I think people take for granted how Bioshock changed the fps genre.

Side note (not meant as a reply): Ive come to the realization that bioshock 2 allowing you to use weapons and plasmids at the same time really isn't a good thing. A third of the screen real estate is dedicated to your hands, which is cumbersome and unnecessary. I prefer how 1/infinite handle it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.