Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

Bioshock: Rapture book

NerdxBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NerdxBomb

Just picked it up tonight and was wondering what you guys think of it. People on amazon seemed to have loved it. Also what, I'd any was Ken Levine's involvement?

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By amomjc

Huh, let me know if its too gritty or is f'ed up because I tend to move away from stuff that really goes in depth with dark stuff. I'd appreciate it because I loved the story of Bioshock but some of the stuff you overhear from the tapes creeps me out and I don't know if I'd really want to read an in depth version of them.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Romination

I have a cousin who liked it. And he seems a bit pretentious with things he likes... so I don't know if it's good or bad.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Brendan

@Romination said:

I have a cousin who liked it. And he seems a bit pretentious with things he likes... so I don't know if it's good or bad.

If your cousin was actually pretentious about what he said he liked, then what he said he liked would probably be good.

pre·ten·tious/priˈtenCHəs/

Adjective: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

What I'm trying to say is, you don't know what pretentious means.

mattyhochs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattyhochs

Thank you for that wonderfully necessary lesson in vocabulary.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Hizang

I'm playing through Bioshock for the first time, is the book before or after, I may want to buy it.

iMiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iMiles

Literally just finished reading the novel.

On the surface I loved it. But it felt a little held back at points.

SPOILERS

As a massive Ryan aficionado I wanted a LOT more on him, but I was happy that Shirley really homed in on the fact that really, Ryan is a very tragic character. He has these ideals and they all go to shit right before his eyes. He starts off as inspiring and through the novel declines, never knowing when to break his ideals until it is too late.

The repurposing of the audio diaries started off as neat and started to grate on me towards the end. Especially with Steinman's final chapter where it was very clear that the author HAD to include those diaries and very little was done with them. Also it pissed me off that Karlosky and Redgrave weren't killed off or given a resolution. These characters will never receive one now as I doubt there will be any other Bioshock fiction set in Rapture.

I noticed one or two problems with the lore but that's bound to happen. Like telling Bill they were taking wallace off to Suchong, though Suchong was long dead after the big daddies had been perfected.

END SPOILERS

At any rate, I couldn't put it down even though I knew the ending from the start, and I guess that's the seal of a good book.

EDIT: How the HELL do you se the spoiler function

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
    If it's anything like the game, I can imagine it's baby's first straw man tale.
    iMiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iMiles

@HandsomeDead said:

If it's anything like the game, I can imagine it's baby's first straw man tale.

It IS accessible, but not to such a detrimental degree. Not a fan of Bioshock's story?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio

There's a Bioshock book? I'm gonna have to check it out

Avatar image for cannibalisticgummybears
    cannibalisticgummybears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I am currently reading the book myself and quite enjoyed it. Shirley stuck true to the story and setting of Rapture. However, the only true tragic character is Bill McDonagh. I don't want to spoil any of the book, however you knew that Rapture would fall before she even got the chance to flourish. It is an easy and enjoyable read.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By On1inepersona

I loved the book as a fan of the bioshock fiction. It felt like a very in depth radio message with all of the tragedy you expect of the people of Rapture.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, lately I've been bumping some old threads, but I feel it's for fine enough reasons. I am just wondering the same question, instead of making a new thread to ask, what did you guys think? Has anyone else read it, especially considering this thread is four years old? It's my b-day on the 23rd, and I don't really know what I wanted, as my brothers and parents keep asking, so I came up with this, as well as the audio from the CD, because I would rather follow along as I listen (because honestly, I think it'd hold my attention for longer). Before I read and hear it, I just wanted to get your guys' take on it. Thanks. I think it's a good time to read it considering the remaster is coming out, which I am going to get since I just love Bioshock.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.