Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Franchise »

Bioshock is a series of award winning first person shooters published by 2K Games. The first and third games were developed by Ken Levine's Irrational Games, while the second installment was handled by 2K Marin.

Favorite BioShock game?

• 54 results
    Avatar image for madmadhascrashd
    MadMadHasCrashd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Favorite BioShock game? (278 votes)

BioShock 1 43%
    BioShock 2 8%
    BioShock Infinite 49%
     • 
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hatking

I've been championing BioShock 2 ever since it completely made my eat my preconceived notions back when I played it. Not only is it the only game in the series that doesn't drop the ball wrapping up its narrative, it's also the most interesting mechanically. I've been thinking about revisiting it a lot recently to see if I still feel as good about it now as I did when I played it years ago. I also never touched the DLC, which I guess is supposed to be good or something.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Hm, I really like both BioShock 1 and Infinite (2 and Minerva's Den are pretty good too).

I think I'll go with the original, given how much I loved it at the time (but it's been a million years since I've played it - well, it feels that way at least).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

System Shock 2

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Personally I think Bioshock 1 has the greatest highs, but Bioshock Infinite is a more consistent experience. 2 is an okay Bioshock game with the best dlc of the series.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

I love both of the first two (Infinite's just sort of mediocre), but the second edges into top place because it's also a really damn good FPS with a huge variety of weaponry and tactics to take advantage of.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The first one is the only one I have played so that by default. I do want to get Infinite at some point.

EricSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think all of them are fantastic games, but the first completely blew me away. I wasn't paying attention to the game at all during the lead up, and even played it a bit after it launched, and it kinda broke my brain. It was the first time I felt like the game world played a bigger part than any character, and made the entire experience something unique.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like BioShock 1 the most, 2 was kinda meh and Infinite was pretty cool too.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By IamTerics

I never played Bioshock 2. I didn't feel like Bioshock needed a sequel and playing as a extra-special Big Daddy sounded kinda lame and fanservice-y. Infinite is a mess. A glorious and entertaining one, but still a mess. Bioshock is pretty cool though.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The first game has a certain magic to it. It isn't a perfect game by any stretch, but for games trying more complex narratives, it rates higher than most. The other games tried to capitalize on the first game's story structure, but despite the gameplay improvements, Bioshock 2 just felt kinda out of place due to the fact that the antagonist wasn't seen or heard from in the first game and Infinite botched its storytelling at the end pretty badly.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By militantfreudian

I played the first game two years ago and it was one of the most impressive games I had played, especially when it comes to world-building and storytelling. Bioshock Infinite was, at least, just as good in those regards, except it had an incredibly fun gameplay and it was a consistently excellent game, so I voted for it. Bioshock 2 was mediocre across-the-board, in my opinion, but it had very good level design and, well, Minerva's Den, which was great.

Edit: Forgot to mention Burial at Sea, which was one of the best pieces of DLC I've ever played. It had truly fascinating character arcs and some of the best moments in the entire series (e.g. the beginning of Episode 2). Episode 2 also had a fantastic soundtrack.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The first game has a certain magic to it. It isn't a perfect game by any stretch, but for games trying more complex narratives, it rates higher than most. The other games tried to capitalize on the first game's story structure, but despite the gameplay improvements, Bioshock 2 just felt kinda out of place due to the fact that the antagonist wasn't seen or heard from in the first game and Infinite botched its storytelling at the end pretty badly.

I agree with you on BS2's story not fitting into place inline with the original, but that's the funny thing about Infinite. Due to Infinite's crux of there being an infinite amount of alternate dimensions, you could look at BioShock 2 as simply being set within a different dimension to the original BioShock. A dimension where Sofia Lamp was always involved in the goings on and was a high profile figure of Rapture and rival to Andrew Ryan.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

First game is one of my favorite games ever, second is good. Actively disliked Infinite.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinite. Felt Bioshock 1 got rather repetitive, which led me to skip 2. I didn't even buy Infinite til 6 months later.

Once I got it, though, I just loved everything it did. My second favorite game of that year, if I remember correctly.

totsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I played the original biochock much later on, and then infinite at launch, so maybe because of that it made more of an impact on me. It was the first game that I immediately stared playing again after finishing (on 1999 mode).

I do think the first one is better in a lot of ways, and the second one is very good too, but infinite was a better experience for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Justin258

@hatking said:

I've been championing BioShock 2 ever since it completely made my eat my preconceived notions back when I played it. Not only is it the only game in the series that doesn't drop the ball wrapping up its narrative, it's also the most interesting mechanically. I've been thinking about revisiting it a lot recently to see if I still feel as good about it now as I did when I played it years ago. I also never touched the DLC, which I guess is supposed to be good or something.

Minerva's Den is pretty great.

I played all of them in a row last year and I'm not really sure which one I'd call my favorite. I like all of them a lot, but I'm not a massive fan of the series. Bioshock 2 plays better than the other two at least.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@undefined: Moved to the Bioshock franchise page. Please keep all pages in their relevant forums. Thanks.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bioshock, the first.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I fear the original BioShock aged pretty badly, especially in the face of the Snowpiercer film, but it is still a thousand times better than the shit-biscuit that is BioShock Infinite; a game so awful that I wanted to throw my chair against the wall!

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
    @shivermetimbers said:

I agree with you on BS2's story not fitting into place inline with the original, but that's the funny thing about Infinite. Due to Infinite's crux of there being an infinite amount of alternate dimensions, you could look at BioShock 2 as simply being set within a different dimension to the original BioShock. A dimension where Sofia Lamp was always involved in the goings on and was a high profile figure of Rapture and rival to Andrew Ryan.

Yeah, Infinite's ending kinda allows that to happen, but that just makes this all sound like amateur fanfiction to the point where I draw the line. Infinite is the worst of the 3, IMO. The first game was unique, the second game tried to make an interesting 'what if' scenario out of it, and Infinite just made a big sidestep. It was a bold sidestep, but a sidestep nonetheless. This is all my opinion, of course.

When you end your story on 'nothing really matters because of dimensional singularities' I find it hard to take your story seriously.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Jeust

I prefer Infinite. It has serviceable gameplay, and is a hell of a ride, full of great moments, with memorable characters, and with a great setting, and great and smart graphics. Although I did like B 1, and loved B 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-619aef89cbc28
    deactivated-619aef89cbc28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All great games, but Bioshock is the best.

I always wanted the sequels to explore what happened to Andrew Ryan after the original. Because they seemed to leave it open for him to survive the original Bioshock.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I clicked Bioshock 1, but my real answer is System Shock 2.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You can't really beat the impact that Bioshock 1 had although I think I enjoyed Infinite the most. Bioshock 2 was a nice side-thing but it felt like more of the same rather than a real sequel.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas said:

I clicked Bioshock 1, but my real answer is System Shock 2.

@tobbrobb said:

System Shock 2

No Caption Provided

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dimi3je

To me Infinite is the best game out of the three, but the first one is still my favorite if only by a narrow margin.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have played both Bioshock 1 and 2 multiple times, and I am going to say that Bioshock 2 is the better game, even if it suffers from some plot issues, the biggest one being that ADAM is basically subjected to the same treatment that the Force was in the Star Wars prequels. It becomes a catch-all plot device used to explain most things away.

Worth noting that even though I think that 2 is a superior game, I do not think it was a sequel that needed to exist.

Here are the things Bioshock 2 has above the original:

-Better combat
    -Building upon the foundation of the tapes system of 1, with the story of Mark Meltzer being a particular highlight
    -Better choice-making system that does not turn the player into super-Hitler or Mother Theresa
    -Better ending overall that explored the ideas of fatherhood before it became the new popular thing through games like Last Of Us. The ending is great. Rather than remove all agency from the player, like Bioshock 1 did, 2 instead chooses to have your actions throughout the game influence the actions of somebody else.

I also want to say that Bioshock 2 is the best game it could have been. Not many studios could be told "Hey, here's one of the most critically acclaimed games of this current-gen, make a sequel to it with minimal involvement from the original team!" and not royally screw it up. Somehow 2K Marin didn't.

Infinite would have to be the weakest game. It has it's moments, but it's faults are too much for me to ignore, even though I played it through twice, once on normal and the second time on that dumb 1999 mode (don't do it, it's not fun). The aspect of Infinite that annoys me the most is it's very 'theme-park' like world structure. Rapture felt real, with it's sprawling levels, though not as large or labyrinthine as something like System Shock 2, lending to a degree of exploration. Bioshock Infinite, with exemption to one late-game area that is still mostly empty, is mostly a corridor. The massive doors everywhere annoy the hell out of me too. This extends to the DLC set in Rapture as well.

Seriously, when playing the first part of that DLC, when you leave Booker's office at the very start with Elizabeth, look behind you and see just where Booker's office is situated. Just where the fuck are you? Why is a detective office a single door in a giant-ass wall? Why is it in some kind of weird dead-end? What is up with the organisation of all the shops/hotels/bars/Little Sister training centre's nearby? Why are there giant goddamn doors still everywhere?! Everything was made to trigger nostalgia in the player along a very railroaded track, not to make any sort of cohesive sense.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hatking

@believer258: Considering my feelings on BioShock 2, I'd probably really like Minerva's Den. Between this and my recent thoughts about Alpha Protocol, there are some weird under-appreciated 2010 games that I might have to go hunt down.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

System Shock 2 man; that game was stonkers.

I allways found the Bioshock games to be shallow carnival-ride nonsense in comparison. Anyone who's played System Shock 2 and performed terrified chemistry in a storeroom while something that can geniunely mess you up shambles down the hallway knows what I'm talking about.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By Justin258

@hatking said:

@believer258: Considering my feelings on BioShock 2, I'd probably really like Minerva's Den. Between this and my recent thoughts about Alpha Protocol, there are some weird under-appreciated 2010 games that I might have to go hunt down.

I can never think of many games that came out in 2010. Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Just Cause 2, apparently Alpha Protocol, Halo Reach, and... uh... yeah. For some reason, that year comes across as a blank to me.

Why is there so much vitriol toward Infinite? It's starting to look a little bit like opinions on Chrono Cross.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock>Minerva's Den>Bioshock 2>Bioshock Infinite

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I never liked the gameplay in the original. I could never find a combination of weapon/power I felt was satisfying. I think it Even gets worst later on, because enemies become bullet sponges. I absolutely love the twist and Rapture is one of the greatest video game settings, but actually fighting the last boss is really boring.

I feel that infinite does everything, except the twist and maybe the setting, better than the original, especially the combat.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, Bioshock 1 with an ending as good as Infinite's would be a darn good game.

That's not me saying the ending to Bioshock: Infinite was great but was certainly better than Bioshock 1's.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Bioshock Infinite by a very slim margin. A loved how the story unfolded for Booker and Elizabeth and the world was extremely inventive. I liked how it was both dark and violent but also light and fun at the same time.

Bioshock 1 was an incredible game, that just had such a flat ending.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Teoball

I can't say I liked Bioshock 1 much when I first played it. Played it on and off for a couple of months before I finished it.

Bioshock 2 I played for a couple of hours before I quit. I just didn't need more of Rapture.

Then I played Infinite and found that I absolutely loved it. It also has one of my favorite endings in a game ever.

militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Why is there so much vitriol toward Infinite? It's starting to look a little bit like opinions on Chrono Cross.

I don't get this either. I completely understand the appeal of the first two games and why someone would prefer them over Infinite. I also get the criticism levelled against the overall storyline and combat, even though I mostly don't agree with it. That said, I think Infinite does so many things exceptionally well that I'm always baffled as to how anyone could dislike the game this much.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking

@militantfreudian: I think it's one of the more obvious examples of gameplay and story conflicting with one another. A lot of games have this issue, and few actually get it really, truly right. But, Infinite has a character who right out hates himself for his violent history and his first reaction to conflict is murder.

Loading Video...

You can compare this to GTAIV, a game that people take a similar issue with, and there at least the character can be seen as somewhat resistant to the reality that the gameplay entails them killing hundreds or thousands of people. I think the idea of feeling like you can't escape your past, that you can be done with your past but it ain't done with you, can be an interesting idea. That is largely abandoned in Infinite in favor of a third act plot shift that seems conceived in the womb of "hey, now we can make a shit load of sequels." But, maybe I'm just a cynic. Either way, it didn't seem to work out for them.

On a mechanical standpoint, I do think it is also the least interesting to play. It might control the best, merely a symptom of it releasing several years later, but all of the fights are just straight up shoot outs that never ask you to shift strategy or step out of your comfort zone. Ammo types and hacking were dropped, a complete weapon wheel shed, and the Vigors are practically a copy/paste from BioShock. The rail system is the only new addition, which I didn't find to be as satisfying as I wish it were.

militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By militantfreudian

Warning: Major spoilers for Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite.

@hatking: The complaint that Bioshock Infinite suffers from a disconnect between the story and gameplay is probably one of the most ill-founded criticisms leveled at the game. If I remember correctly, Booker is guilt-ridden mostly because he essentially sold his daughter to settle a debt accrued through gambling, not necessarily because of the atrocious things he’s seen or committed at Wounded Knee.

However, let’s assume, for the sake of argument, that he not only feels guilty about the massacre at Wounded Knee, but also managed to connect the dots, so to speak, and now realizes exactly what led him to drinking, gambling, and eventually, to selling his daughter. Let’s also assume that his goal in life now is redemption (what you claim basically) – he wants to absolve himself of guilt over the bad things he’s done at Wounded Knee, which is demonstrably untrue.

Do you think that merely a desire for redemption is enough for Booker to actually change? I personally don’t think so. Let’s not forget that he continued to commit violent acts even after Wounded Knee, as a Pinkerton agent. Also, Booker, as Comstock (since they’re essentially the same person), resorted to brute force and propaganda to keep the disenfranchised people of Columbia in line, and naturally resorted to violence to deal with the Luteces and the Vox Populi. Booker, at heart, is a violent person, in a violent city, and the only way he knows of solving problems is through violence.

The series is filled with hypocrites and people who preach one thing and do the exact opposite (e.g. Andrew Ryan, Atlas, Comstock), so it’s not unusual for Booker to be a conflicted character. When you think about it, combat seems like a natural fit for the game – in fact, it works very much in tandem with the story and informs the narrative in more than one way, and vice versa. It shows you that any supposed claims of regret he has are just empty and meaningless.

It might be true that the combat seems more stripped-down compared to the previous games. Nevertheless, I personally found it to be a lot more dynamic and immediately fun. I disagree with you regarding the combat encounters being the same. The game quickly starts introducing tougher enemies (e.g. armored infantry, Crows, Firemen, Motorized Patriots), each requiring a different strategy and a different combination of vigors to beat – maybe you can still shoot them to death, but it’s definitely not the ideal way to deal with them. Saying that Vigors are identical to Plasmids is simply false. Vigors have alternate modes, upgrading them gives them unique properties and the way you could combine them added more variety to the combat. Throw the Skylines and Tears into the mix and you have reasonably varied environments that encourage the use of certain weapons and Vigors. This is to say nothing of the Gears, which generally grant you more tangible abilities than the Gene Tonics did.

I agree with you about the absence of hacking (not that I particularly enjoyed it), but I liked the interplay between you (the player), Splicers, security devices and the Big Daddies in the first two games.

Avatar image for dude_dudenstein
    Dude_Dudenstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still liked the first Bioshock the most. Given I haven't finished Infinite yet but I just can't seem to get immersed into the world like I did with the fist of the series. It may be because the first one felt so fresh and so forth but it really did leave a lasting impression on my younger self.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bioshock one has the best story. Bioshock 2 has the best gameplay. Bioshock Infinite has the best wasted potential. So I guess my answer is System Shock 2.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@adequatelyprepared: I agree with you entirely. And on the subject of DLC, I don't understand why people are okay with the arc of it. It's just a ham-fisted shoving of garbage into the storyline of the original game and the only thing it serves to do is completely close off the massive amount of potential that the end of Infinite opened up, seemingly because they didn't want a billion sequels made of their beloved baby. It's a shitty end to a shitty storyline.

postnothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By postnothing

Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite are two of my all-time favourite games. I tried hard to like Bioshock 2; I just couldn't. I know it's harsh, but Bioshock 2 has a direct-to-DVD sequel feel to it. The story was haphazardly written and playing as -- of course, a special and one-of-a-kind -- Big Daddy made Splicers and Big Daddies seem far less intimidating, although I liked fighting the Big Sisters, well at least for the first few times. Speaking of which, the only way to make enemies harder apparently is to make them soak bullets. Now to be fair, that was a problem in the first Bioshock too -- and I hated that -- but Bioshock 2 takes this to a whole new level; enemies were bullet sponges right out of the gate. It took me 9 rivet gun hits to take down the very first splicer you can kill in the game on Hard (What!). The ending was an improvement over Bioshock (admittedly that's not hard to beat considering how bad the ending to that game was), but it was extremely cliched and cheesy. The only interesting thing they do in the story is when they let you play as the little sisters and even then it's ham-fisted and the explanation of how you get to play as them is contrived. Another contrived thing about the story in Bioshock 2 is your character's main motive.

I haven't played Burial at Sea (awaiting a remaster :P), but Minerva's Den felt more like a proper sequel to Bioshock than Bioshock 2 did. It had similar themes to the first Bioshock (themes of identity, etc.) but wasn't a retread in the same way Bioshock 2 was. As a matter of fact, I think Minerva's Den is probably the best DLC I played last generation. It was just as well-written as Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite, which made the dull gameplay of Bioshock 2 seems a lot more palatable.

If I had to rate the 'Shock games, I would put: (1) Bioshock (1) tie: Bioshock Infinite (3) System Shock 2 (4) Bioshock 2.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really like BioShock Infinite. That story really made me think. Also Liz is a fantastic character.

keith7198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Bioshock...by a mile. Loved Infinite but that first visit to Rapture was one of my favorite video game experiences.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Infinite by a landslide. Elizabeth is fantastic. The twins are great. I love stupid-ass time travel multiverse fiction and doing the mental gymnastics necessary to make it all make sense.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ripelivejam

I should really replay Infinite; for all its story issues and ways it was a tiny bit of a letdown it didn't fail to make a huge lasting impression on me I'd legit say it's the last game i was truly in full overblown hype mode. There's so much about it that's just iconic as fuck. I still watch that beast of america trailer now and then to recapture that excitement.

Also "Hallelujah" *shivers*

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Bioshock 1's narrative was the first one to surprise me on the 360. I pick that one.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I liked Bioshock 1 the most but I really did like how number 2 allowed you to have your gun and plasmids out at the same time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.