Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

I'm not enjoying Bioshock

• 64 results
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Goly

NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE 

Is there anyone who didn't enjoy playing this game? I mean I can see it's appealing, the game is beautiful, has got a great sense of style and I find Rapture rather charming. But my god, the gameplay? I feel like this game should have been called something like Pipe Dream: the FPS.  I feel like most of the time I'm hacking cameras, turrets, those sentinel bots, and it's starting to get so fucking annoying, I think it's really abusive how many of those non humanoid ennemies they put. It seems like every time I go through a door there's that camera with that irritating sound  it makes everytime it spots you, or a turret. I wanna kill some Splicers dammit. And besides the problem I cited earlier, the normal enemies are either super easy to kill, or just walking gods, because everytime I try to kill a Big Daddy I get killed at least once. Anyway I am gonna try to beat it, mainly because I've heard the ending is fantastic, but that's pretty much what keeps me playing it. I'm not saying it's bad, but maybe a bit overrated? I give it a solid 8, but all those perfect 10s and 9.5s in my opinion are undeserved. 

NO SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD THANK YOU, IF YOU DO I WILL FIND YOU AND SHAVE YOUR HAIR (if you do have hair, if you don't I'll shave your scalp yarrrrrr)

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i agree

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Cube

I hated Bioshock. 

I lasted not even an hour. Something about it really didn't sit well with me.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By RE_Player1

It took me awhile to get into it but when I did I loved it. Now would you kindly beat it so we could have your opinion on the full story...

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Hashbrowns

I've had a real hard time trying to replay Bioshock.  Once you've experienced the narrative and know what happens next, the basic weakness of the combat becomes much harder to ignore.  So much of that game hinges on uncovering a new and unique world and its mysteries that, once you're familiar with it, it's probably time to leave.
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Goly
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " It took me awhile to get into it but when I did I loved it. Now would you kindly beat it so we could have your opinion on the full story... "
    yep I will don't worry, I really wanna know what this ending thing is all about. I'm getting the good ending, supposedly it's better, but I've heard both endings are really satisfying.
    Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rockanomics

I didn't make it through, and I tried 2-3 times. But I think you might need to relax, next time you see a machine just shoot the bejesus out of it. I know it's hard to resist the hacking since it's so beneficial but try mixing it up. I am the same way a lot of the times but I don't think it's worth it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By valrog

Hacking in Bioshock 2 is way better. Also, you can hack with money or use an Auto-hack tool. Although, that's not nearly enough in relation to the amount of machines that are hackable. Yeah, Big Daddies can be quite challenging, but you'll get the hang of it. Try different tactics.

@Goly

said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" It took me awhile to get into it but when I did I loved it. Now would you kindly beat it so we could have your opinion on the full story... "

yep I will don't worry, I really wanna know what this ending thing is all about. I'm getting the good ending, supposedly it's better, but I've heard both endings are really satisfying. "
    Good Ending is very emotional.

@RE_Player92:  I see what you did. And holy shi- it works.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ShaneDev

I enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish, the gameplay didn't really bother me and I didn't even know that many people disliked it until a good time later what did bother me was after the literal half way point in the game the enemies suddenly become twice as strong for no reason. 

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Goly

Oh also, I'm beating every single Splicer with the wrench. The shooting is such a fucking hassle that I just decided to play this game as a weaker version of Condemned. I zap them and knock them the fuck out. I'm weird like that, but trust me, the shooting in this game is mediocre.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly...

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goly
    @Raymayne said:
    " Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... "
    ?
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Hashbrowns said:
    " I've had a real hard time trying to replay Bioshock.  Once you've experienced the narrative and know what happens next, the basic weakness of the combat becomes much harder to ignore.  So much of that game hinges on uncovering a new and unique world and its mysteries that, once you're familiar with it, it's probably time to leave. "
    This is absolutely true. Couldn't make it more than a few levels into my second playthrough.
    ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ShadowMountain

I played it about 2 years after launch and I hated it. Got to the end and though 'is that it?'

I predicted the plot twist (saw it coming from a mile away - except for the specifics obviously) and thought the actual 'game' part (shooting mechanics etc) were horrible. Fights were frustrating and felt pointless with the respawn thingy. It was a nice looking game though.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog
    @Goly said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    " Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... Would you kindly... "
    ? "
    Ignore him.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjakiller

Bioshock is one of my favorites of all time, in spite of the sometimes annoying pipe games.    9.5/10

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Goly
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Bioshock is one of my favorites of all time, in spite of the sometimes annoying pipe games.    9.5/10 "
    I don't agree with the sometimes annoying, I'm doing it every 3 minutes, and I'm not exagerating.
    Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
    deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it so far (haven't finished it yet) but I can at least agree somewhat about the all the hacking and such.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By bicycleham

Bioshock was one of those games where I constantly tried to get back and back into but I ended up sorta hating it because of how something it felt. I don't have a word for it. I just didn't like it as much.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Videogames

I was thinking about picking this up on the PC after trying it out a couple years ago and having it spoiled for me. Lucky me, I can't remember any of the story hooks and was wondering if you guys recommend that I give it another shot, since it is apparently some turning point with story telling in video games or something. The only thing I can remember was getting pissed at having it spoiled and speed running half of the game on easy with the wrench.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the ending was pretty bad to be honest.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By allprox

I disagree, Bioshock is awesome.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Goly
    Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Videogames
    @Goly said:
    " @ninjakiller said:
    " Bioshock is one of my favorites of all time, in spite of the sometimes annoying pipe games.    9.5/10 "
    I don't agree with the sometimes annoying, I'm doing it every 3 minutes, and I'm not exagerating. "
    Now that you mention it I am having a vague recollection of sorting pipes and having to listen to this horrible camera shutter/screech noise whenever I walk into a room. 
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By gearhead
    @valrog said:
    " @Goly said:
    " @Raymayne said:
    ? "
    Ignore him. "
    Yeah just spam.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunnBjorn

If you reckon off this game solely for its gameplay, you're right. It's the most God-awful FPS ever made. But, I liked the game for its scope, setting, grim atmosphere and story. It was really unique at its time (2007!); some games just don't age too well.
    Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Goly
    @Allprox said:

" I disagree, Bioshock is awesome. "

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By ShadowVirus

When I first played the game, I felt the same way, honestly I didn't play it for a while because I was scared of parts of it. But after a while I started to really enjoy it and thought it was a great game. 
    Although for me, the ending was spoilt before I played it. I borrowed the game off a friend, as he handed it over to me he gave away the ending ;_;

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Goly
    @GunnBjorn said:
    "
    If you reckon off this game solely for its gameplay, you're right. It's the most God-awful FPS ever made. But, I liked the game for its scope, setting, grim atmosphere and story. It was really unique at its time (2007!); some games just don't age too well. "
    Read the hidden spoilers post I just made. I'm not enjoying the story that much either.
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By valrog
    @Goly:  Be patient.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FunExplosions

I'm with you man. Still haven't finished it. The icon is just sitting there. The game is smooth, gorgeous, inspired, and creative, yet I find no real enjoyment in playing it. I feel like my progress is incredibly hindered by all the things I run into along the way. Walking from one area to another can either take 2 minutes, or - if I want to hack things, look around, or find the big daddys - 2 hours. And, for me, I always have to look around. And besides that, the PC version is a little wonky for me. My keyboard mappings keep getting reset on me and the game occasionally crashes.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Goly
    @FunExplosions said:
    " I'm with you man. Still haven't finished it. The icon is just sitting there. The game is smooth, gorgeous, inspired, and creative, yet I find no real enjoyment in playing it. I feel like my progress is incredibly hindered by all the things I run into along the way. Walking from one area to another can either take 2 minutes, or - if I want to hack things, look around, or find the big daddys - 2 hours. And, for me, I always have to look around. And besides that, the PC version is a little wonky for me. My keyboard mappings keep getting reset on me and the game occasionally crashes. "
    Dude and to think I bought this game when it came out on PC because I didn't have a next gen console and ended up GIVING IT, not selling, to a friend, because it was unplayable. I think I'm trying too hard with this game. I'm playing it on PS3 now if anyone wants to know.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beej

it's worth the finish and don't wory goly like valrog said be patient, Bioshock still has much to offer.
    Also im going to reiterate someone elses reccomendation of just shooting the shit out of most things, unless you're on the hardest difficulty most of the alerts arent even that bad so you can pretty much just ignore hacking most of the time.
    Also you should report back in with your feelings once you get farther into the game, you'll know when the time is right.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By fjordson

BioShock is one of the greatest games of all time. You're crazy.

Keep at it I guess. I've never encountered someone who didn't like the game so I'm not sure what else to say.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's a bad game in a unique atmosphere.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Goly
    @Fjordson said:

" BioShock is one of the greatest games of all time. You're crazy.  Keep at it I guess. I've never encountered someone who didn't like the game so I'm not sure what else to say. "

I didn't say I didn't like it, in fact I said that from what I've played I think it deserves a solid 8. It's just overrated but don't worry in about a week I'll make another post and I may have fallen in love with it, which wouldn't really surprise me because it has happened to me countless times and not only in videogames.
    GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunnBjorn
    @Goly:

I'm afraid you already know/heard too much about how the game will develop. Or you're just a smart guy that already understands how the game will play out. 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Sooty

I got bored half way through, I preferred the second by far.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fishmicmuffin

The narrative is what really drives the game. If you don't like the narrative, then chances are you're not going to enjoy the game. However, I advise holding out until the end as it has some surprises in store.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Goly
    @GunnBjorn said:
    " @Goly: I'm afraid you already know/heard too much about how the game will develop. Or you're just a smart guy that already understands how the game will play out.  "
    I don't know anything about this game's story I assure you. In fact, none of my friends have beaten it. They are not that much into videogames, I still play PES with them but that's about as far as it gets.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yeah i was put off by the irritating gameplay and stopped playing 

i wish it was endurable, cuz the story was so fucking intriguing .. *sigh*

stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By stafax
    @Goly: I didn't find the game fun, at all.  You pretty much addressed all the problems I had with the game, the most challenge I had during the game was doing those stupid pipe puzzles. And the combat gave me no reason to even try all because of that respawn. If I come across a big daddy, I lost all encouragement to even try to use skill against them. If I took away 1/4 of its health and I died, then I respawn and the big daddy still has that 1/4 health gone. Where is the death penalty? There isn't any and it makes the game a joke. 

And not to get your hopes up, but both endings aren't even what people like about the game, it's something that happens 2/3 into the game that is what people liked about the story.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WitchHunter_Z
    @Goly said:
    " Oh also, I'm beating every single Splicer with the wrench. The shooting is such a fucking hassle that I just decided to play this game as a weaker version of Condemned. I zap them and knock them the fuck out. I'm weird like that, but trust me, the shooting in this game is mediocre. "
    This is the way to play it, just pump up your wrench every way possible, that way you can save your ammo for the Big Daddies and security. Unless you need the help from the camera/turret just tag them with a lightning bolt and shoot them. It'll save you a lot of time and hassle.
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By StrikeALight

Half of the appeal of Bioshiock as the intruige of Rapture and how the story unfolds. I found the gameplay (by FPS sandards) a bit janky, but the attention to detail and atmosphere bowled me over.

Also, I'd highly recommend you keep playing and not visit these forums until completion. Someone is bound to spoil the experience eventually, by posting something stupid. (intentionally or not)

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Goly
    @StrikeALight said:
    "  Half of the appeal of Bioshiock as the intruige of Rapture and how the story unfolds. I found the gameplay (by FPS sandards) a bit janky, but the attention to detail and atmosphere bowled me over. Also, I'd highly recommend you keep playing and not visit these forums until completion. Someone is bound to spoil the experience eventually, by posting something stupid. (intentionally or not) "
    Yeah it's bound to happen (the spoiling I mean). But the person who'll do that is not leaving his house unshaven.
    Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By chilipeppersman

Dude, The first and second Bioshock were so similar, same graphics, and gameplay that was a little tweaked. The first one was noticeably worse cause the story puttered out near the end, All in all, the Bioshock series didnt feel worth it at all to me

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jkz

I've tried so many times to play through that game. I've even gotten to about 1-2 hours from the end, and just quit. The gameplay doesn't hold up at all, and that game drags itself out like hell

So...yes, I agree.

junkrebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By junkrebel

I really enjoyed BioShock, but it was for the reasons you stated... the atmosphere and general sense of wonderment in being in this completely unique setting really made the game for me. The gameplay was functional but fairly uninspiring, and pretty much all of the guns felt very flat to use and didn't really feel like powerful weapons. I still enjoyed the game though, and BioShock 2 improved on the general gameplay of the original with much better weapons and hacking mechanics, though repetition still set in pretty quickly after I'd grown accustomed to the sequels hacking minigame.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Grissefar

I've had it reinstalled 2-3 times too with no luck getting all the way through. Maybe some day.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Bones8677

I agree too. I love the atmosphere, and it's aesthetic, but the weapons don't feel right. They feel like I'm holding inflatable guns rather than real ones. 

Those hacking minigames are more trouble than they're worth. So I just loaded up on auto hacking tools. Those cameras are annoying as hell, by the time you realize you've been spotted, the alarm starts sounding off, and you have to try to survive for what feels like an hour. I never used any plasmids other than fire and electricity. 

The big daddies aren't difficult either. Just break out the machine gun and never let go of the trigger, also keep moving and you won't even get hit. 

The last act of the game, I won't spoil, but it was a big letdown. I kept asking myself, "Why am I doing all of this? There's no point in going around collecting the "you know what" all I needed was that little sister needle, and I was good to go." 

I did like the twist at the end of the second act, but after that...meh.

It's a good game, but it lead a lot to be desired. It's good that even Ken Levine even acknowledged the game's short comings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.