Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

I've played Bioshock for 10 minutes in the space of 2.5 years...

2Thumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 2Thumbs

And what makes it even more crazy is that I've owned the collectors edition since day one paying full price for it.

It's not that I don't like the premise of the game, or that I found it boring...

It's that it scares the crap out of me!! Honestly, the ambience and general feel of the game puts me on edge to a point of disbelief and this saddens me because I want to experience it to completion and understand what other people think of it.

Does this make me a bad person, or should I just suck it up and play it with the light on/during the day?

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse

it 's not that scary. in fact, it's pretty straight forward. just play with the lights on

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Binman88

I think if you haven't played it yet, you probably never will. Don't worry about it, try and flog it on eBay and buy a game you really know you want to play. If I could have known, I never would have bought Bioshock. I know it's not a bad game, but I hated just about everything about it.

Edit: By the way, there's nothing to be scared about, because there's no real penalty for dying. You just get respawned at a nearby chamber, and enemies you were fighting before you died don't regain their health. You're technically invincible.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

Really? Does it scare you that much? I mean, I'll admit that I'm very easily frightened but I've played through it three times

Hell I even played through Dead Space, although playing it during daylight might have made it less scary

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By dogbox

I thought it was pretty freaky at first, too. But on Normal difficulty Splicers go down really quickly. Once you realize it's a pretty easy game, it becomes less scary and more intriguing. I say keep at it!

2Thumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 2Thumbs

I've always been the type of person to be affected by what I don't see, and more what my mind conjures up. The locale, tone and sounds of Bioshock hit right to the heart of what I find scary.

This is why I find films like The Blair Witch Project more effective than gory ones. But I generally don't find films scary anyway as I can be disconnected from it, but because in games you're more a part of what's going on the effect is amplified.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO

I dunno why people don't enjoy being scared, in video games that is. It's one of the best things a game can achieve, since it shows that the developers have made a game immersive enough to affect you on a psychological level, to make you forget you're even playing a game.

To deprive yourself of that just means you're a pussy.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kishan6

i support bioshock topics we need more 
    anywaysi totally get wat ur saying by how ur affected by what you dont see 
    also its really nice to see a new person not going for quests by spamming topics

2Thumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 2Thumbs
    @EVO said:
    " To deprive yourself of that just means you're a pussy. "
    Indeed.

There's no ethical reason not to play a game because it scares you. It's not like a splicer is going to pop out of the screen and go for me.

Thanks for all the comments, I think I'll give it another go tomorrow morning! :)
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cornman89

I'm right there with you, pal.

I played both BioShock on-and-off for about a year before I finished it. Same with Dead Space. But those games, while they scared the pants off of me, were two of my most rewarding gaming experiences of this generation. Play in the daytime, with other people, whatever you need to do to get through it.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By fini_fly

I don't think that Bioshock is particularly scare so much as it is tense. The level of tension I had while playing was generally pretty high due to the atmosphere of the game. But seriously, once you get passed the first level, things do get a bit easier, but they remain equally as tense. So... suck it up!

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ztiworoh

Bioshock definitely scared me for the first couple of hours, but the game gets a lot less frightening after the Medical Pavilion.  But yeah, they do a good job of making you feel vulnerable and on-edge. 

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lambert

Nothing special. It is pretty much a dumb-down version of System Shock 2.

Of course, 12 year old kids who never actually played some of the classics back in the day claim it is the greatest game ever.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Dude...

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skytylz

I thought it was kinda creepy too, but I enjoyed it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm a wuss, but I managed to get by it fine. I will say that the beginning of it was definitely the scariest part, and at that point I wasn't sure if I'd be able to play the game for much longer. Splicers are creepy at first, but soon they'll be the least of your problems. It's creepy, but after a little time, you should feel okay with it. Suck it up, you'll be okay. Though, there are a few parts later on, especially with Sander Cohen, when things peak in creepiness. However, if you ask me, it's probably the most awesome and interesting part of the game.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Colin

I didn't find Bioshock scary at all and I hate scary games :P
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reuben

I found Dead Space to be much scarier than Bioshock.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sanryd
    @2Thumbs: I kinda know what you're saying. The atmosphere just gives me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I try to play it.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah at first I was getting freaked out by stuff in the game, but the combat is such a cinch that it kinda just became an interesting game with a cool story, not just a horror experience.  

Just keep playing it, eventually it'll be fine. The beginning's the scariest part of the game anyway, seeing how messed up Rapture is for the first time and whatnot. It wears off. 

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uniform

I have this problem with the Silent Hill franchise. Not as severe, but I'll take breaks, and when I contemplate picking it up again, I think do I really want to go back to that creepy, dark depressing place? More often than not, my answer is no.

2Thumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 2Thumbs

Update:

I completed it today. I bit the bullet and started from the beginning a week or so ago. I managed to win over my fear of the atmospherics pretty easily TBH!

Now would you kindly... ;)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It's scary? Then again I don't get scared when I play survival horror games. I don't have that emotion, maybe that's why I was bored.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#24  Edited By eliminator

Dude,did you ever played Fatal Frame ? Be a man.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kmdrkul

Like all games, after a while you get used to it.  I remember playing Dead Space and being scared shitless of the monsters but after a while they weren't that bad.

2Thumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 2Thumbs
    @kmdrkul:  This is true, after the first hour or so I didn't find it even that tense.

I'm glad I've finally completed it, just need to get all the achievements now.
    Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Matfei90

I've played maybe only 3 hours of Bioshock since I bought it... I just don't like how it feels. I really like the premise and setting, however.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Djeffers03

The game isn't scary at all once you get more than 10 minutes in. The first 10 are the scary part where you see/hear the splicer outside but after that....

iSylence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iSylence

Now play the second :D The review that Jeff gave for it is pretty accurate, story isn't quite as good, but it's still a lot of fun :) I just love being in Rapture, such a cool place!

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I'm not much better, I've had the collector's edition from day 1 and spent maybe an hour with it. Three years later,  here we are...    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.