Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Unremarkable story, remarkable delivery?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Who agrees that while Bioshock's story was a little on the stock side, the delivery of said story was groundbreaking?

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Player1

Idk, it had some plot twist, and I was extremely surprised, and satisfied with it. So I would disagree. I loved Bioshocks story. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

No, I disagree not only was it excellently delivered but the actual story of Bioshock was ground-breaking for video games.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Pibo47

I think both were ground breaking. Yo be wrong.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

I also think both the story and delivery were quite excellent, both contributed to the game's overall greatness. I would not say one was better than the other, both were equall balanced in my eyes.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

How was it on the stock side? Any aspect of it?

It was the polar opposite of a cliched videogame story. Both the delivery and the story itself were excellent.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb

Other way around.

Bioshock has an outstanding story but terrible delivery.

"Would you kindly?" Lame.

You're thrown into a hazerdous situation and there is only one guy there who can help you. (Good so far)

The guy who helps you betrays you. (Better)

He used you to further his alterior agenda....(Getting awesome now!)

With mind control. (What?)

If you were trapped in an underwater distopia and there was another seemingly sane individual I think you would probably listen to everything he said anyway, why did they have to use the cliche of mind control?

Throw a burger infront of a starving man and then tell him to eat it. He does so and then here is the kicker....

IT WAS MIND CONTROL!!!!!! lulz c? u sed wud u kidnly eet tihs burgur so now ti maks moar cents

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    SPOILER, OMG, SPOILER!!!!!!!!

Well, it was pretty stock in that the person that was with you from the beginning was the bad guy. That's been around since Metal Gear Solid. Also, being tied to Rapture has been around for just as long, even though I can't give specifics.
    Seeing as how that was basically the entire story, and the rest falls under the delivery in my eyes, it had a stock story. The delivery was groundbreaking, though.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kmdrkul
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Who agrees that while Bioshock's story was a little on the stock side, the delivery of said story was groundbreaking?"
    Bioshock was remarkable on all fronts.  It was an absolutely amazing accomplishment.
    PartWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PartWerewolf
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    SPOILER, OMG, SPOILER!!!!!!!!

Well, it was pretty stock in that the person that was with you from the beginning was the bad guy. That's been around since Metal Gear Solid. Also, being tied to Rapture has been around for just as long, even though I can't give specifics.
    Seeing as how that was basically the entire story, and the rest falls under the delivery in my eyes, it had a stock story. The delivery was groundbreaking, though.
    "
    Your right that the story was a bit unremarkable in terms of the ending. But the way they presented it to us was amazing. No silly cutscenes like in other games. The audio diaries, the flash-backs, the creepy things the splicers say... it all sets the mood for what IMO is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. So your right story was good, not great, but the delivery was absolutely spectacular.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Personally, I agree with the majority and believe both the story and the delivery was great. 'Would You Kindly?' is probably my favourite twist in any form of media. However, I do think the combat aspects were pretty lame and so if there's one thing that hindered BioShock, it was that. I wish they would have made it like a complete detective style game with very minimal combat, but no, needs more shooting. Everything needs more shooting, these days...

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BiggerBomb said:
    "Other way around.

You're thrown into a hazerdous situation and there is only one guy there who can help you. (Good so far)

If you were trapped in an underwater distopia and there was another seemingly sane individual I think you would probably listen to everything he said anyway, why did they have to use the cliche of mind control?

Throw a burger infront of a starving man and then tell him to eat it. He does so and then here is the kicker....

IT WAS MIND CONTROL!!!!!! lulz c? u sed wud u kidnly eet tihs burgur so now ti maks moar cents"
    Yeah, I don't agree with the crux of this argument.

I mean, psychosomatic conditioning can, in the right theoretical circumstances, have dramatic theoretical effects, so I guess that didn't throw me so much.

I was pretty confident through most of the game that someone was a bit more egoistic than they initially seemed, and I had it pinned down to Atlas and Tennenbaum, but I didn't know who the perpetrator was going to be.  After Atlas's "family" died in the Bathysphere, I had a ping of suspicion at that point.  It didn't help that you could not see any corpses in the Bathysphere (plus, it is not clear how Atlas himself managed to escape the Spider Splicers filtering into the room). 

I figured, about halfway through, Atlas was the villain, and since the only guy with a reputation to match Ryan (Fontaine) was no where to be found, I put two and two together rather quickly.

What did it for me, with Bioshock, was the atmosphere.  In terms of first-person shooters, Doom 3 was always my crowned jewel of atmospheric success.  Bioshock trumped it, and its art direction was fabulous.  Personally, I did not like playing Bioshock, but I did, however, enjoy experiencing it.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Also, it was the 'Would you kindly?' that brought Jack back to Rapture in the first place so it's not just used to control him underwater.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Also, it was the 'Would you kindly?' that brought Jack back to Rapture in the first place so it's not just used to control him underwater."
    Would you kindly was pretty nice, but far from groundbreaking. It put some good spin on it, but didn't make the story shine for me.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Also, it was the 'Would you kindly?' that brought Jack back to Rapture in the first place so it's not just used to control him underwater."
    Would you kindly was pretty nice, but far from groundbreaking. It put some good spin on it, but didn't make the story shine for me."
    What exactly are you comparing this too, story-wise? Because as videogames go, the stories in like 99% are absolute garbage so either you're comparing this to films, TV and other media or you've played something like Psychonauts exclusively.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    HandsomeDead said:
    What exactly are you comparing this too, story-wise? Because as videogames go, the stories in like 99% are absolute garbage so either you're comparing this to films, TV and other media or you've played something like Psychonauts exclusively."
    Half Life 2, the crux of all story-based anything in games. That is what I compare all to, because there's no point in comparing with anyone but the best.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    What exactly are you comparing this too, story-wise? Because as videogames go, the stories in like 99% are absolute garbage so either you're comparing this to films, TV and other media or you've played something like Psychonauts exclusively."
    Half Life 2, the crux of all story-based anything in games. That is what I compare all to, because there's no point in comparing with anyone but the best."
    Seriously? Half-Life 2 has no story whatsoever. We know absolutely nothing about any of the characters or the events.
    PartWerewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PartWerewolf

Half-Life's story was great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Would you kindly was pretty nice, but far from groundbreaking. It put some good spin on it, but didn't make the story shine for me."
    He would be more content with a story about space marines (or rather, for better effect, the last of a genetically augmented space marine) shootin' up aliens hellbent on destroying the human race, probably. 

Totally just ribbing you, Ark.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    He would be more content with a story about space marines (or rather, for better effect, the last of a genetically augmented space marine) shootin' up aliens hellbent on destroying the human race, probably. 

Totally just ribbing you, Ark."
    Oh brunded by the Rag.
    But in all seriousness, Half Life 2 had the perfect story for the game. It didn't get in the way, but gave you a backdrop. It made you hate the enemy for logical reasons, and made you sympathize when people were lost (You know who I mean, end of episode 2). It's brilliant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hehe.  I do what I can. :-p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkthemaniac said:
      But in all seriousness, Half Life 2 had the perfect story for the game. It didn't get in the way, but gave you a backdrop. It made you hate the enemy for logical reasons, and made you sympathize when people were lost (You know who I mean, end of episode 2). It's brilliant."
    I agree.  The Half-Life plots, tones, and themes have always been really good, though. 
    kappamerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kappamerc

I thought the story was excellent.  Without a good story delivery doesn't matter at all.  A great story delivered well stands out.  Overall I was very pleased with the game.  Fantastic dialog, gameplay, story, and graphics.  This is definitely one of my top 5 games of all time.

Free2game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Free2game

The story was good when it was called SS2.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK

wtf no way. picking up a new diary was like... amazingly exciting.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Demilich

I just finished it for the first time a few minutes ago.

Although bringing absolutely nothing new to video games, it does have something very likable about it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has to be there when neither the story nor gameplay was compelling enough to keep me playing. Hacking is atrocious halfway through and onwards, forcing you to quick save before every attempt in fear that you'll get another insolvable puzzle, and the weapons never really feel powerful (Probably because they're not). There are some balance issues when the strongest weapon endgame is the Wrench. Still I had fun. Rapture looks great, the voice acting is top notch and I genuinely had an interest in the characters, especially after the plot twists near the end. Bioshock is good, maybe great, but I can't even put it on the pedestal of the Half-Life franchise.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By ProfessorEss

I personally thought the game was so excellent on so many levels that no "little issues" bothered me in the least.

I'm a big fan of the way they delivered the story without relying on hours of non-playable cutscenes.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By atejas
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Other way around.

IT WAS MIND CONTROL!!!!!! lulz c? u sed wud u kidnly eet tihs burgur so now ti maks moar cents"
    Yeah, because otherwise you would totally agree to go take revenge for a man's family(who you did'nt even know) and kill the ruler of said dystopian city(AFTER figuring out he was your father) rather than try to escape.
    In fact, without that, there would have been no plausible reason for Jack to enter Rapture in the first place. Would you randomly descend into the sea in a bathysphere you found after a plane crash?
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pause422

I thought both were really great...I admit the only thing worthy of comparing it to is the half life series....it was even one of their biggest inspirations for doing things the way they did, ken levine said so himself, of course I think half life is still up there as far as story telling goes, with putting you in a living environment without needing to go to cutscenes, but bioshock, especially at the time of all that was being released on consoles were generic story after generic story..was a breathe of fresh air..its definitely one of the best stories in a game..especially on consoles.

Jecrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Jecrell

Towards the end where I had to wear the Big Daddy suit is where it got on the annoying side, other than that Bioshock was very very interesting. Would you kindly was completely unexpected... and... poor Andrew Ryan. The endings were crap though.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:

Oh brunded by the Rag.
    But in all seriousness, Half Life 2 had the perfect story for the game. It didn't get in the way, but gave you a backdrop. It made you hate the enemy for logical reasons, and made you sympathize when people were lost (You know who I mean, end of episode 2). It's brilliant.
    "
    Since when did tone, context and theme count as a story? The story of that Half-Life 2 is fight out of City 17, generate a resistance, fight back. None of the characters have a motive, none of the enemies are ever explained and at the end, nothing is concluded. I felt totally ripped off.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Demilich

Yeah I forgot about protecting the Little Sister.

At first hearing that I was going to wear a Big Daddy suit I thought "awesome". Wrong. Shit sucked. Restricted Vision, louder footsteps, no new weapons and non-altered skins.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Demilich said:
    "Yeah I forgot about protecting the Little Sister.

At first hearing that I was going to wear a Big Daddy suit I thought "awesome". Wrong. Shit sucked. Restricted Vision, louder footsteps, no new weapons and non-altered skins."
    I know. That bit was so bad. I was hoping that you'd at least get the drill and I was expecting Fontaine to be right about being trapped in the suit and that way it would work on a deeper level than him being a generic evil and Tenenbaum being the generic good. Also, i'd stocked up on a load of weaponry presuming there would be some epic climactic battle and just before, they give you a load anyway.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Demilich

I can't really gripe about this, it's just my playstyle, but I found myself quick saving A LOT. The Vita Chambers just don't feel right. If I die there should be consequences, so I never ever used one. On top of that, ammo is often scarce and expensive, but still given to you at all the points where you need it. Because of that I spent a lot of time scavenging, and saving before I headed into the next area so I could conserve better.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:

Oh brunded by the Rag.
    "
    Since when did tone, context and theme count as a story? The story of that Half-Life 2 is fight out of City 17, generate a resistance, fight back. None of the characters have a motive, none of the enemies are ever explained and at the end, nothing is concluded. I felt totally ripped off."
    Either you have not played the first game, or you didn't catch the subtle cues Half-Life 2 throws your way. 

The characters are more roundly developed than any first person shooter I can think of, and newspaper clippings you find around the game world reveal that the Combine arrived as a result of our meddling in the first game, that they are an imperial force obsessed with power and annexation. 

I do agree about the ending.  I tire pretty quickly of endings that offer no closure whatsoever, and the "it has a sequel" excuse doesn't fly for me, anymore.

If you're going to have a cliffhanger ending, at least tie up some loose ends. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By wefwefasdf

I think both were amazing.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Sir_Ragnarok said:

Oh brunded by the Rag.
    "
    Since when did tone, context and theme count as a story? The story of that Half-Life 2 is fight out of City 17, generate a resistance, fight back. None of the characters have a motive, none of the enemies are ever explained and at the end, nothing is concluded. I felt totally ripped off."
    Either you have not played the first game, or you didn't catch the subtle cues Half-Life 2 throws your way. 

The characters are more roundly developed than any first person shooter I can think of, and newspaper clippings you find around the game world reveal that the Combine arrived as a result of our meddling in the first game, that they are an imperial force obsessed with power and annexation. 

I do agree about the ending.  I tire pretty quickly of endings that offer no closure whatsoever, and the "it has a sequel" excuse doesn't fly for me, anymore.

If you're going to have a cliffhanger ending, at least tie up some loose ends. "
    Yeah, i've played the first game but this was far too vague to even really be classed as subtle. The G-Man for example. Who is he? What does he do? How does he operate outside of the Combine influence? What is the stasis he puts Gordon Freeman in? OK, you can argue that it's meant to be a mystery, but at the point where it's a decade from the original release and almost 3 games in, it's pretty clear they're writing this in an ad hoc basis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
    Yeah, i've played the first game but this was far too vague to even really be classed as subtle. The G-Man for example. Who is he? What does he do? How does he operate outside of the Combine influence? What is the stasis he puts Gordon Freeman in? OK, you can argue that it's meant to be a mystery, but at the point where it's a decade from the original release and almost 3 games in, it's pretty clear they're writing this in an ad hoc basis."
    It's not vague at all, you just aren't paying attention.  Seriously, next time you play Half-Life 2, take a walk around Steiner's lab in the exposition of the game.  There's a ton of information for you to wrap your mind around. 

This "ad hoc" writing business is just ludicrous--again, there is little closure at the end of Half-Life 2, but given the nature of the subsequent episodes, it's abundantly obvious that some facets of the game's plot are premeditated.  The Combine Advisors, for instance, are only hinted at in near the climax of the second game, but play a much more prominent role throughout the course of the Episodes. 

And the G-Man?  What better tie is there to be left hanging through the bulk of the story.  Asking for his role to be solidified is like asking for the guarantee of alien existence in the X-Files.  Obviously, he's the crux of the entire plot.  How, or why, he is the crux has yet to be unveiled to us, but that does nothing to indicate Valve is writing this on-the-spot.   (And who says he is working outside of Combine control--even Breen knowns of the G-Man's existence, and Gordon's role in this debacle.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.