Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

A discussion on BioWare

• 73 results
    joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joshth

I wanted to know the GB community's thoughts about this gaming giant.  With the recent "failure" of Dragon Age 2, I've heard many negative things about Bioware.  Though I don't think DA2 a failure, I do think its a dissapointment, and probably one of the biggest mistakes BioWare has ever made.  But then I think back to all their successes, the original Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, neverwinter nights, and the classic Baldurs gate 2.  Now with all this in mind, where do you stand with Bioware?  With both the recently anounced Dragon Age 3 and the soon to be Mass Effect 3 coming, will you be forgiving and forgeting?  Or will you pass these up until you know that these games are the real deal?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Chop

They are a terrible company. I mean lets totally forget all the amazing games they made before Dragon Age 2 and call them shit! 

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shinigami420

Bioware is shit compared to cd project red 

Dragon age orgins is the best game they have made on the 360 but its still only mediocre compared to the witcher 2  

and dont even get me started about mass effect 2 its overly simplified and even an retarded cat could beat that game sure it has a okey story (alot of filler) but who the fuck cares about that when the gameplay is shit  and there is not much to explore

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By phrosnite

My favourite game developer. /thread

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By joshth
    @Chop
    Thats how I feel.  I think there wonderful, but so many have been hating them lately, I just want to know where people stand with them.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
    @Chop said:
    They are a terrible company. I mean lets totally forget all the amazing games they made before Dragon Age 2 and call them shit! 
    Not everything that they made prior to Dragon Age 2 was flawless gold.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

Their games are too predicated on right and wrong choices, good/bad, red/blue. I want some damn granularity in ME3.

Thats all I have to complain about. ME3 seems to be taking the action and RPG in the right direction

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I got kinda tired of them after KOTOR.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9  Edited By JasonR86
    @joshth

I don't care.  If they make a good game I'll buy it.  So far they've made good games I like so I'll keep buying them.  I think 'forgiving and forgetting' with developers is ridiculous. 
    superseagull7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By superseagull7

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Dragon Age 2 developed in a short amount of time (shorter than the usual Bioware development cycle)?  That could have contributed to the game's perceived failure. Keep in mind that I haven't played DA2, but I'm just guessing about what they did wrong here. All of the Bioware games I have played (KOTOR, ME 1 and 2, and DA:O) have been fantastic, and I still regard them as one of the best developers right now.

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shinigami420
    @superseagull7: HAHAHAHA one of the best devlopers? 

you dont play alot of games do you  

i can think of 100 developers that are far more superior than mediocre bioware  

your right dragon age orgins was pretty cool but is fucking shit compared to a game like the witcher 2  

also both me 1 and me2 are just dumb console rpgs for casuals
    Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Ghostin

I used to pretty much buy their games sight unseen when they made D&D games or Kotor, but in recent years they have as many average games as good ones.  Dragon Age and the Mass Effect series (so far) I have really enjoyed.  Jade Empire was ok.  But that sonic rpg was terrible, as was Dragon Age 2. 

I pretty much wait for reviews with their games now, their name carries far less weight with me than it used to. 
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Crono

Bioware games just have way too much dialogue for me to enjoy them. Their games are like interactive novels more than anything, kind of in the vein of the Choose Your Own Adventure series of books. I find their games very boring, personally, but I know that a lot of people love them for the very reasons I don't. They seem like a great developer if you want (much) more story than you do game.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Their old-school PC games were great.

They kind of suck now, though.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phrosnite
    @shinigami420
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta

So they made one ok, not bad but ok game game. 
    You never eat food again just because some food was once not as good as other?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Favourite developer. Mass Effect especially hooked me in a way that I'd only previously experienced with Ocarina of Time. Dragon Age 2 was a bit disappointing, but I don't think one bump in the road will turn them into Neversoft (a great, creative studio that got run into the ground). I will pre-order ME3 as soon as it has a date, and I will be awaiting Dragon Age 3 whenever that comes to pass. It's already gotten to the point where I will snatch up anything with the Bioware logo on it, and if people want to act like they suck or that there's another studio doing what they do better, that's nice. I'll be sitting here with my favourite games and playing them into the wee hours of the morning.

H4xlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By H4xlike
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    Their old-school PC games were great.  They kind of suck now, though.
    Play DA:O, it is a lot like the BG series. 
    laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By laserbolts
    @shinigami420
    @superseagull7: HAHAHAHA one of the best devlopers? 

you dont play alot of games do you  

i can think of 100 developers that are far more superior than mediocre bioware  

your right dragon age orgins was pretty cool but is fucking shit compared to a game like the witcher 2  

also both me 1 and me2 are just dumb console rpgs for casuals
    The man has an opinion stop being a douche about it. This is a thread about bioware not the witcher 2. I don't think they are the best developer out there but they are pretty good imo. I thought ME 1 and 2 were good games so I guess that makes me casual. Boy, I wish I was hardcore. Oh and I bet you can't name 100 developers let alone 100 developers better than bioware.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By floodiastus

mass effect is great, dragon age is so-so imho

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time allen

mass effect (1) is one of my favourite games this gen. i still have faith in bioware.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By babblinmule
    @shinigami420 said:
    @superseagull7: HAHAHAHA one of the best devlopers?  you dont play alot of games do you   i can think of 100 developers that are far more superior than mediocre bioware   your right dragon age orgins was pretty cool but is fucking shit compared to a game like the witcher 2   also both me 1 and me2 are just dumb console rpgs for casuals

I know its difficult, but do try to realise that people are allowed opinions other than your own - what youre doing right there is making everyone think youre an enormous twat, regardless of what side you're on. 

Having said that, I think its safe to say that you're so far down the rabbit hole at this point that you would hate bioware even if they solved world hunger or something.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck

I've only really played the Mass Effect franchise by them, and I absolutely love that franchise with every fiber in my body

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinigami420 said:
    @superseagull7: HAHAHAHA one of the best devlopers?  you dont play alot of games do you   i can think of 100 developers that are far more superior than mediocre bioware   your right dragon age orgins was pretty cool but is fucking shit compared to a game like the witcher 2   also both me 1 and me2 are just dumb console rpgs for casuals
    You should take this groundbreaking find to some developers, apparently the more complicated a game is the better it is. They'll be really excited about this.
    DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DG991
    @floodiastus: This saddens me. 

Because dragon age: Origins was my favorite game. for pc. 
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @H4xlike said:
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    Their old-school PC games were great.  They kind of suck now, though.
    Play DA:O, it is a lot like the BG series. 
    I have, but only on PS3. I wasn't too impressed by it.

My opinion might be different if I were able to play the PC version though.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beej
    @shinigami420: May I please see your list of 100 devs then sir? While I don't count BioWare as my favorite dev, I enjoyed Dragon age 1 and the mass effect series. Baldurs gate 2 and Neverwinter nights were fun too. I'm not calling them gold (I agree with other posters that a lot of their moral choices are very stark, and the gameplay in most of their games tends to become very repetitive very fast)
    Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
    Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Easily my favorite developer. Now that doesn't mean that I'm going to blindly defend every decision they make. Combat in most of their games isn't really up to par but the story and dialog easily makes up for it (imo of course).

Dragon Age 2 definitely wasn't their best attempt but considering how great their other games were (BG, NWN, KOTOR, Jade Empire, ME, DA:O) I wouldn't exactly go out and say they're the worst developer ever. 

If you like the kind of games they make then you most likely love Bioware. If you're not into RPGs then most likely you're not going to like Bioware.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09

The pride of Canada, and my favorite developers in the world.  No game developers  know how to immerse me in a story the way Bioware does.  Sure, their games aren't perfect, but they are still the best at what they do.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Animasta

I think the witcher 2 was the pinnacle of what Bioware tried to do with DA or DA2. and I think that Obsidian's sequels are miles better than the games that came before. ME's alright but I dunno if I could play the third at this point, all those screenshots look so boring

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By benjaebe

Love the Mass Effect series. Like the Dragon Age series. They make good games. Would like a new KOTOR though.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By probablytuna

I love both Dragon Age and Mass Effect series. One of my favourite developers no question.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By floodiastus
    @DG991 said:
    @floodiastus: This saddens me.   Because dragon age: Origins was my favorite game. for pc. 
    I played it on PC too, but I felt the rules system was a little lackluster. It felt like a dungeons and dragons LITE game with a little to much imbalance issues.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By Jayross

Guys, ME2 wasn't that great, either. (I'm actually being serious; that story was crap)

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DG991
    @floodiastus: Maybe this is just me being super fond of the game... 
     But I feel like perfect balance is over rated. I like learning the game.  And I didn't feel like it was too easy or hard. 

I just super enjoyed it. 
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainCody
    @shinigami420 said:

Who the fuck are you? Go back to 4chan with your retarded PC master race bullshit dickeater.
    Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ChickenPants

They'll always be legendary for giving us Baldur's Gate. DA:O was good but had plenty of issues. It provided a solid foundation that should have been built upon for DA2. Instead, they rushed DA2 out and gave us a mediocre game.

Haven't played Mass Effect yet. Planning on getting to it eventually. Was never much of a ''space guy''. I need my elves and dwarves!

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were classics, Dragon Age: Origins was a decent attempt to recapture that glory, and everything else has been simplistic and bad from a mechanical standpoint, although of variable quality in writing. Jade Empire, KotoR, Mass Effects and Dragon Age 2 are not even in the league of those aforementioned three games, and we can expect that EA will bleed the company dry until there's no integrity or quality left.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I loved them until Mass Effect 2. That game was such a disappointment that I have very little faith left in them.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

They are a good developer and I have enjoyed many of their games and ideas.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @NeverDave said:

@shinigami420 said:

You should take this groundbreaking find to some developers, apparently the more complicated a game is the better it is. They'll be really excited about this.
    That's actually exactly right, as long as the complexity is justified and rewarding, and the systems are at least made somewhat clear to the player. To put it in the same condescending terms, humans are learning animals, and once you've learned to solve a set of problems you move onto more complex ones. The correct approach is to have introductory difficulty modes but retain some depth for the sake of more experienced players, instead of the general approach which has been to drastically simplify and streamline.
    iamLEG10N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iamLEG10N
    @KingWilly said:
    Favourite developer. Mass Effect especially hooked me in a way that I'd only previously experienced with Ocarina of Time. Dragon Age 2 was a bit disappointing, but I don't think one bump in the road will turn them into Neversoft (a great, creative studio that got run into the ground). I will pre-order ME3 as soon as it has a date, and I will be awaiting Dragon Age 3 whenever that comes to pass. It's already gotten to the point where I will snatch up anything with the Bioware logo on it, and if people want to act like they suck or that there's another studio doing what they do better, that's nice. I'll be sitting here with my favourite games and playing them into the wee hours of the morning.
    I think this sums up my opinion nicely. 
    Also: @shinigami420: Stop being an ass and gtfo. You're entitled to your opinion, but there's no call to be a dick about it.
    strangone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By strangone

Lately I've been getting pretty damn tired of the old Bioware plot formula: Linear opening, travel to 3 or 4 places in whatever order you choose, event in the middle, linear ending. Somewhere in there you have sex with a party member. 

If ME3 starts off with with some event on Earth and then says "now travel to X number of planets to recruit some aliens to fight the Reapers" I'll be really disappointed.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ChickenPants
    @strangone: Agreed. I remember being so disappointed when like 80% of DA:O was just you going from place to place assembling an army. And what a coincidence that everywhere you go has some sort of problem that needs to be solved before they can join your army!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

I can understand if people have been disappointed with their recent offerings but to ignore their illustrious history because of it is madness. Feel free to write them off for whatever the "developer-of-the-month" is but years from now someone will still be playing Balder's Gate again or for the first time while most of these other games have been long forgotten. 

People talk about CD Projekt's incredible Witcher 2? I have to wonder how much of that development was funded by people buying Bioware's back catalog off of GOG.com?

I'm not even a big fan but I gotta give respect where respect is due.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Vinny_Says

I like DA 2 more than origins so I feel out of place in this forum, but they did make on of my favorite games of all time. They are starting to get into a Good/Bad choices routine for some time now but I'm still excited for ME3. Unfortunately that's the only one of their games I'm looking forward to.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Contro

They made a Sonic RPG on Nintendo DS, and it was terrible. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xyzygy

Critically DA2 was kind of a failure but I believe it sold well. Just on the name alone. 

But I think Bioware is going downhill, quality wise. To me their peak was Mass Effect 1. Mass Effect 2, while it FELT good to play, was dumbed down and was basically a game full of side missions with no real story. Sure the production values and presentation were good but a game needs more than that. Well, at least a big budget Bioware game. 

After ME1, Dragon Age came out and while lots of people loved it I found it incredibly dull - uninspired setting, very boring combat, very predictable and anticlimactic.Then Dragon Age 2 came out and I think everyone knows by now the massive and numerous faults that game had.

So I'm not really having much high hopes for ME3. I know it won't top the amazing experience I had with Mass Effect so I won't set it up for disaster. I'm sure it'll be a good game but it won't be the same old Bioware I used to love.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By joshth

So I'm hearing a lot of hate for ME2... er why?  I thought that game was really great, the characters and dialog was all really interesting.  And it was "streamlined" just enough in my opinion.  I do agree that Bioware needs to make some changes to its good/bad choices, that are blatantly obvious with no grey area.  This is something that the witcher series definitley does better, however I still hold lots of love for bioware, and I hope to god that they don't slowly fade away.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owl_of_minerva said:
    @NeverDave said:

@shinigami420 said:

That's actually exactly right, as long as the complexity is justified and rewarding, and the systems are at least made somewhat clear to the player. To put it in the same condescending terms, humans are learning animals, and once you've learned to solve a set of problems you move onto more complex ones. The correct approach is to have introductory difficulty modes but retain some depth for the sake of more experienced players, instead of the general approach which has been to drastically simplify and streamline.
    Games are not just a series of puzzles, they're also characters and writing and story, my point being how complex it is has no bearing on an overall experience. When people argue the complexity of Mass Effect they're mad that there aren't enough bits and pieces and numbers to fiddle with on their character, that's not gameplay or story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.