Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

BioWare and the "retaking" of the end of Mass Effect 3

geekbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By geekbot

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet, so I have no idea how I will feel about the ending once I've experienced it, but I, for one, completely disagree with what is transpiring here. As a creative person, I think it's disgusting the way fans of the series have reacted. I mean, we've all been there: finished a trilogy of movies, a TV series or a series of games, just to get to the ending finding ourselves wondering how something we loved so much managed to end so poorly. And yes, we probably bitch and complain about it. We shun the thing we once loved because we feel like it didn't deliver on our expectations.

And then we move on.

In the end, this is the artist's creation. It is not ours. To try and please everyone, is pointless, so as a creative person you do the best you can to create the best work you can, and hope that the creation you make brings as much joy to others as it did to you.

I understand why BioWare would want to please/appease their fans, and I can see why going down this route of "fixing" the end might be tempting, but I disagree with it whole-hardheartedly. By "fixing" their ending, they are basically saying that they were wrong. In art, there is no right or wrong. There is only opinion. And if nothing else, they are setting a precedent for fans to continue on this path: bitch and complain enough, and you'll get what you ask for - whether or not you truly deserve it.

Oh, and believe you me, they'll get what they ask for - or rather what they deserve - because this isn't the first time "fans" have reacted in such a way. There was an anime series that came out during the late 90's that people loved and then became infuriated with the ending. After prolonged protests, the creator of the series gave in and made a new ending. And guess what: people hated it one even more than the original.

So what happens when BioWare "fixes" the ending and people are still unhappy? Do they fix it again?

At the end of the day, it's great that people are able to discuss what they liked and didn't like about a piece of art. Art is meant to spur up emotions, to encourage conversation and debate. But at the end of the day, when all is said and done, what do you do?

You move on.

geekbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By geekbot

I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet, so I have no idea how I will feel about the ending once I've experienced it, but I, for one, completely disagree with what is transpiring here. As a creative person, I think it's disgusting the way fans of the series have reacted. I mean, we've all been there: finished a trilogy of movies, a TV series or a series of games, just to get to the ending finding ourselves wondering how something we loved so much managed to end so poorly. And yes, we probably bitch and complain about it. We shun the thing we once loved because we feel like it didn't deliver on our expectations.

And then we move on.

In the end, this is the artist's creation. It is not ours. To try and please everyone, is pointless, so as a creative person you do the best you can to create the best work you can, and hope that the creation you make brings as much joy to others as it did to you.

I understand why BioWare would want to please/appease their fans, and I can see why going down this route of "fixing" the end might be tempting, but I disagree with it whole-hardheartedly. By "fixing" their ending, they are basically saying that they were wrong. In art, there is no right or wrong. There is only opinion. And if nothing else, they are setting a precedent for fans to continue on this path: bitch and complain enough, and you'll get what you ask for - whether or not you truly deserve it.

Oh, and believe you me, they'll get what they ask for - or rather what they deserve - because this isn't the first time "fans" have reacted in such a way. There was an anime series that came out during the late 90's that people loved and then became infuriated with the ending. After prolonged protests, the creator of the series gave in and made a new ending. And guess what: people hated it one even more than the original.

So what happens when BioWare "fixes" the ending and people are still unhappy? Do they fix it again?

At the end of the day, it's great that people are able to discuss what they liked and didn't like about a piece of art. Art is meant to spur up emotions, to encourage conversation and debate. But at the end of the day, when all is said and done, what do you do?

You move on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.