Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

Best Fighting Game for Someone New to the Genre?

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

I was watching the MK9 tournament all day today and decided I want to get into the genre.  I am looking for a game that is just fun and has simple combos.  Ideas?

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

It's really not going to come any easier to get into than MK 9. SSFIV, even the low tier players are decent at the game and will crush you. Get into MK while it's new.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By DocHaus
    @Cabbage_TheMan
    Depends on your definition of "fun and has simple combos." I could make arguments for any one of those games you've listed.

• Tekken 6 because it's cheap as hell (price-wise), the characters don't have cheesy long-range attacks (well, one does, but it's easy to dodge), and a roster of 40 characters means you're bound to find a couple that fit your playstyle.
    • SSF4 because it's the arguable gold-standard of 2D fighters, has Ryu and Ken (perfect balanced characters for newbies) and a whole metagame that you can play or ignore at your leisure.
    • BB:CS because of the very unique personalities and playstyles, amazing attacks and fast-paced action. If you happen to like visual novels or anime-ish storylines, then that's a bonus.
    • MK9 because it's new, it's revamped, and the player base is not mostly composed of elites who will crush you like a bug (yet).
    Because you've posted here in the BB:CS forum, I'll give you a few hints if you do decide to start with this game: go through the training mode, educate yourself on playing defense as well as offense. If you want a balanced character, start out with Jin Kisaragi (or Ragna, but I'd argue Jin's style is a little more forgiving). Skim through this guide that I've sorta written up (note: recent 1.03 patch might have voided some of it, but the basic concepts are the same). Talk to ESERVER (PS3) or mwng (XBL) if you want to join in our impromptu gaming nights. Go to the dustloop.com forums to learn some more combos if you think you are ready to dig further into the meat of the game.

Also, when breaking into the game, accept the fact that you will lose quite a bit when playing against actual people compared to the AI (except when playing the hardest AI, then it's mostly a matter of praying to your deity of choice to win). If you stick with it, you will do better. If you just want to play it with friends, that's fine too, and will probably result in a lot fewer ragequits.

Hope this helps.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Cabbage_TheMan: Dwarf Fortress :P
    mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mwng

It depends what you consider to be fun. For example 2D or 3D, air dashing/double jumps or no air dashing/double jumps, links (timing based attacks) or chains (A>B>C>D approach). It might also be worth investing in at least a Fightpad, as the standard console controlers are not really designed with fighting games in mind (though some people sware by them). Or even a stick if you've got loads of cash to blow on a fancy.

Of the games listed;

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift has the most in depth in game tutorials. And a "Beginner mode" which while not that useful for learning, might be of some assistance.

Super Street Figther IV has the largest online resource for learning, as it's a much more popular game. There'll always be someone online to fight with too.

I'm yet to play MK 9 so can't really give you much input there. Looked like there were a lot of new modes to ease people into the game.

And Tekken 6 seems to be the only 3D fighter you've listed, I didn't really get to grips with it.

Lucky for you they're all pretty cheap now. (MK 9 is still dropping in price I think). Here's a few more suggestions though!

Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    Tatsunoko vs. Capom (if you have a Wii)
    Guilty Gear Accent Core Plus (if you have a Wii)
    Arcana Heart 3
    Maybe even Soul Calibur 4 if you're more interested in learning 3D
    Should probably keep an eye out for Skull Girls too should it ever hit XBL/PSN.

Finally! Here's a link to the GB fight club youtube channel, so you can get a better idea of how good/bad we all are. Or how some of the games work at a more beginner level.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TechHits
    @Cabbage_TheMan:  based on what you said you wanted out of a 2d fighter, its clear that you want to be playing mortal kombat. However with SF4AE just around the corner I would possibly consider moving to that, the competition will be alot stiffer, but the game is better imo.  
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scarace360
    @Pessh: He is so right. Sf is easy to learn hard to master not so hard this isnt 3S. But still fun. Play street fighter.
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @DocHaus: I guess my definition of   "fun and has simple combos" means that it is good to play with friends and is forgiving on button mashers.  Does that sound more like Street Fighter?

The only reason I'm really interested in BlazBlue is because it looks like a very creative game that's trippy as hell.  I'm not sure my friends would want to play it though :S
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Hizang

If your looking for one based on simplicty and ease to get in to, it's Mortal Kombat 9, but if your looking it or "Hey I know that guy!" It's Marvel VS Capcom 3, or even Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
    RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU
    @Cabbage_TheMan:  It sounds more like Soul Calibur
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

I dunno, out of all the fighting games I've played MK9 is the easiest, at least with a controller.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By DocHaus
    @Cabbage_TheMan: If you want a quick fun game that's easy to get into with friends who may or may not know the fundamentals off-hand...then go with Marvel vs Capcom 3.  BlazBlue:CS is not the most forgiving for button mashers. There is a "beginner mode" where you can do it, but with some characters mashing buttons will just have them herp-derping in the corner while a competent player shoots you from afar. 

Whether or not your friends (assuming you mean real friends and not "internet friends") will get into BB:CS is more a matter of acquired taste. When I played BB:CS with some real friends of mine, half of them thought the characters were funny and/or amazing, the other half thought that it was retarded and made me feel embarrassed to show them.  I know, this technically being the BB:CS forum I should be repping it more, but no one's paying me to push their game, so if you only have the money for one fighting game and not a lot of time to dedicate to it then go for MvC3. If you're looking for a little more meat than that, then you can find copies of Tekken 6/SSF4/BB:CS for ~$20 each now.

To be fair though, I will say that pretty much every character in BB:CS has their own playstyle and there are no palette-swapped characters, so chances are you'll find someone to like whether you prefer slow-but-powerful (Tager, Hakumen) or a quick death by a thousand cuts style (Taokaka, Noel). If you want to start with this game, we'll be here.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By ESREVER

BlazBlue was my introductory game into the fighting genre and its really helped me pick up on other fighters a lot quicker thanks to its mechanics and tutorial mode. The game is not mash friendly though.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By agentboolen

New Mortal Kombat has that slow classic gameplay that just teaches new gamers what fighting games are about, I also think SSF4 does this rather well.....  Either way you go stay away from Marvel vs Capcom 3, that game is so fast and the gamers we'll be throwing you in the air and hitting huge combos with you clueless to know how to stop it.  I mean the game is a good game its just a very advance fighting game IMO.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Slaker117

MK9 has done a good job of making me feel like I'm not completely terrible at fighting games and is a lot of fun. Very simple controls and easy to understand mechanics, but enough depth to make it feel like there is always something new to learn and ways improve.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Sliced_Bread

MK game are the only fighting games I've ever liked.  I tried Street Fighter 4, but just couldn't get into it for some reason.

Also, great avatar
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Vade

If you want to just press buttons, I guess MK9 and Street Fighter are good for that. I'm not too sure how many new players there are in BBCS and you might just get wrecked every game without understanding what's going on.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I would start with Mortal Kombat 9 or Super Street Fighter 4. Blazblue might be overwhelming.
    mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mwng
    @Vade said:

If you want to just press buttons, I guess MK9 and Street Fighter are good for that. I'm not too sure how many new players there are in BBCS and you might just get wrecked every game without understanding what's going on.

There's some new videos in the XBL Fight Night thread if you want to see what that looks like... :(
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

Thanks for the great input guys!

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VanillaPlant
    If you just want to mess around and aren't interesed in spending time learning the games, then just go with whatever.
    Otherwise, id suggest Street Fighter if you want to learn the fundamentals of 2d games and Tekken for 3d.  MK is an easy game to pick up and play; however, it plays very different than most other 2d fighting games and also won't get you used to a lot of the common input motions found in them, such as qcf (quarter circle), srk (forward down down-forward), etc. Blazblue is more manic than other 2d games and I feel it puts a larger emphasis upon knowing specific information and being able to execute long combos rather than on strong fundamentals. 
    HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By HadesTimes

Mmmm, not really sure. So is this poll for people want to become good at fighting games or just mess around. Because if you want to become good at fighting games in general Street Fighter 2 on XBLA would probably be a good place to start. If you just want to mess around, I would say Tekken 6 or Soul Calibur 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.